PDA

View Full Version : Unsportsmanlike Penalties Changing in 2011

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/1/2011, 11:38 AM
A proposal that would have taken points off the board if a player was flagged for excessive celebration after a touchdown did not pass, but there is a change coming to the unsportsmanlike conduct rule in 2011.

Next season, if a player draws an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during the play, the penalty will wipe away the result of the play. For example, if a player high steps or necessarily dives into the end zone, the touchdown will be taken away and a 15-yard penalty will be assessed.

Link

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/news/story?id=5976141

Quote above taken from the end of the story.

Looks like we will be having even more discussions on unsportsmanlike penalties in the future as it could take points off the board. Maybe this is not such a bad thing.

AlboSooner
1/1/2011, 11:43 AM
You have a bunch of autocrats passing vague laws upon people who provide the autocratic authority in the first place, and then justify themselves with technicalities. This used to be called slavery.

By definition when you catch the ball and score, you bring attention to yourself, thus being subject to penalty.

SoonerFaninAZ
1/1/2011, 11:43 AM
A proposal that would have taken points off the board if a player was flagged for excessive celebration after a touchdown did not pass, but there is a change coming to the unsportsmanlike conduct rule in 2011.

Next season, if a player draws an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during the play, the penalty will wipe away the result of the play. For example, if a player high steps or necessarily dives into the end zone, the touchdown will be taken away and a 15-yard penalty will be assessed.

But. If it's necessary...

hawaii 5-0
1/1/2011, 11:53 AM
I have no problem with celebrating. I don't care for taunting.

5-0

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/1/2011, 12:05 PM
But. If it's necessary...

These idiots can't even get their verbiage correct. meh

jkjsooner
1/1/2011, 12:05 PM

This is a horrible idea. Considering these penalties are so inconsistently applied I can't believe they would even consider taking away the results of the play.

This will be such a mess. As has been the case for the last 10 or so years, the rules committee keeps passing rules that are not well thought out.

Maybe one result of this is that officials may be a little more hesitant to call teh penalty. The problem is that some may still call a penalty like the KSU one so we could end up having even less consistency.

TMcGee86
1/1/2011, 12:09 PM
Yet another way for the refs to decide games for gamblers.

The NCAA gets more corrupt every year.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/1/2011, 12:10 PM
The article also mentioned the formation of some kind of new officiating group for College Football to bring about more consultancy between the conferences.

"Well, I do think that there is some inconsistencies maybe between conferences. I think we're getting closer. I think we're getting closer with the new officiating group that's a national officiating group that has been formed," Edsall said, referring to College Football Officiating, LLC, which Parry heads.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/1/2011, 12:11 PM
Yet another way for the refs to decide games for gamblers.

Good point a corrupt ref could keep the spread where he wanted it by making such a call, but couldn't the other refs at the game overrule him?

SoonerBread
1/1/2011, 12:11 PM
The problem is that some may still call a penalty like the KSU one so we could end up having even less consistency.

Or, they can be inconsistent within each game...

Thaumaturge
1/1/2011, 12:17 PM
I think a celebration penalty should cause the points to go to the other team. That would put a quick stop to this festering malignancy of bad sportsmanship.

tcrb
1/1/2011, 12:18 PM
John Bible and Randy Christal are salivating and rubbing their hands together at the thought of enforcing this rule.

jkjsooner
1/1/2011, 12:23 PM
I'd hate to face the wrath of Bob Stoops (or, worse, Mike) after getting a penalty like this and erasing an 80 yard TD.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/1/2011, 12:25 PM
I'd hate to face the wrath of Bob Stoops (or, worse, Mike) after getting a penalty like this and erasing an 80 yard TD.

Could you imagine finally punching one in from the 1 on 4th and goal and then having it wiped out because of the celebration? We would all be ready to rip that player a new one.

soonerloyal
1/1/2011, 12:33 PM
Loe4H1Vp99M

Holieway: Celebration penalties? We didn't have no stinkin' celebration penalties... :D

OU_Sooners75
1/1/2011, 12:38 PM
Why not just put in some rule that makes it a penalty if a player smiles or exhibits having fun?

These excessive celebration penalties are getting out of hand. The NCAA needs to stop placing rules where interputation(sp?) can vary individually.

IMHO if they arent taking their helmet off or spiking the ball or taunting the crowd or other team, then they should allow the kid to have fun!

tcrb
1/1/2011, 01:00 PM
This rule gives way too much power to the refs. If it does go into effect, I predict that the duck phuck we took at Autzen will pale in comparison to some of the future screwin's that the refs could hand out with this new rule definition. We've already seen how inconsistent the current rules are applied. I just dont understand what the ncaa is trying to accomplish here.

Soonerfan88
1/1/2011, 01:35 PM
The article also mentioned the formation of some kind of new officiating group for College Football to bring about more consultancy between the conferences.

"Well, I do think that there is some inconsistencies maybe between conferences. I think we're getting closer. I think we're getting closer with the new officiating group that's a national officiating group that has been formed," Edsall said, referring to College Football Officiating, LLC, which Parry heads.

This is at least encouraging news.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/1/2011, 01:42 PM
I don't understand why the focus is on celebrations after/en-route to a touchdown rather than fifty people dancing after a sack or woofin in each others faces after every tackle :confused:

jkjsooner
1/1/2011, 02:02 PM
This is at least encouraging news.

Encouraging that an official appears to have created an LLC to make a buck off of the inconsistencies in officiating? The whole thing sounds a little fishy to me.

btb916
1/1/2011, 02:27 PM
Celebrating a touchdown is not bad sportsmanship.

Whet
1/1/2011, 02:37 PM
if you let the team celebrate a touchdown, the other team my have their "feel bads" hurt.

melrosebeach
1/1/2011, 02:42 PM

THIS!!

Blue
1/1/2011, 02:45 PM
I wish theyd form a competitor to the NCAA. Maybe the UCFA and all the teams bolt and the ncaa can have the scraps.

XingTheRubicon
1/1/2011, 03:27 PM
or you could just hand the ball to the ref

StoopTroup
1/1/2011, 03:34 PM
What's cool is I think the College Game is more on top of creating a better group of people who will be good citizens whether or not they are able to make it past College to the NFL. Same as the NBA...the NFL has seen it's share of guys make it there and completely screw up their lives and the lives of their families. I'm not gonna say it doesn't happen to College Kids after they go into the real World...but I think the amount of really good people come from the College ranks as the ones that make it to the Pros...they get negative news brought to the National Stage and are treated differently than the guy with no money and 2-3 strikes against him.

A guy like Charles Thompson who can overcome the difficulties of his past really make the difference to kids who fall into difficulties after College and need hope of getting their lives together.

I like the College Game and although it seems to have flaws that need to be fixed....I think it does a better job than the NFL.

I think NFL Fans like the "In Your Face" and the EZ Dances. Taking it away might be good for the kids but the Fans want to see it there IMO.

texaspokieokie
1/1/2011, 04:45 PM
I don't understand why the focus is on celebrations after/en-route to a touchdown rather than fifty people dancing after a sack or woofin in each others faces after every tackle :confused:

THIS

bluedogok
1/1/2011, 07:26 PM
I think NFL Fans like the "In Your Face" and the EZ Dances. Taking it away might be good for the kids but the Fans want to see it there IMO.
Some fans do and some fans don't, they do throw flags for some celebrations in the NFL. You can't do a "team organized celebration" like the flop they all did at once and Dallas had several called against them early in the season like when Miles Austin leapfrogged TFRW after he scored or when one handed the ball to an O-Lineman to spike it.

pappy
1/1/2011, 08:28 PM
This penalty was made by "men" who had their feelings hurt over and over again as children, never being picked to play a pick up game, never being able to get a girlfriend, being bullied by other kids and now they seek revenge.

SpankyNek
1/1/2011, 11:48 PM
OK, we seem to have a lot of misunderstanding going on here.

This is not creating a new rule. It is merely changing the penalty associated with an existing rule.

This does NOT affect any celebrations that take place after the ball has crossed the goalline.

The NCAA and conferences have made a point to stress throwing the flag this year and informing the coaches of the offending teams whether they would be subject to the new penalty next year. Currently, if a player taunts someone on their way into the endzone, the flag is thrown...this is the ONLY personal foul treated in this manner.

Beginning next year, unsportsmanlike conduct personal fouls will fall in line with everything else under the umbrella (Facemask, Unecessary roughness, Clipping, illegal chop block, etc...)

To be clear, this is NOT increasing the scope of the definition of unsportsmanlike conduct.