PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

ouwasp
12/31/2010, 11:29 PM
Miracle At Midway by Gordon Prange... after reading his book on Pearl Harbor earlier this month, I just had to get to the retribution the US visited upon the Japs in June of '42...

Curly Bill
12/31/2010, 11:32 PM
In A Sunburned Country
by: Bill Bryson

Reading a lot of travel/adventure stuff here lately.

OhU1
1/1/2011, 12:21 AM
"Innumeracy" by John Allen Paulos and "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bordain. Next up, "The Grand Design" by Hawkins or "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins.

booomer
1/1/2011, 12:37 AM
"The Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey

reflector
1/1/2011, 12:41 AM
This thread.

ouwasp
1/1/2011, 12:50 AM

Yeah, I'm hit and miss with Covey's The Leader in Me... my boss wants us to implement some of his practices at work...I just do what I'm told...

booomer
1/1/2011, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I'm hit and miss with Covey's The Leader in Me... my boss wants us to implement some of his practices at work...I just do what I'm told...

I haven't read that one......I'll have to check it out.

StoopTroup
1/1/2011, 01:17 AM
Sports Boarding Greatness by Barry Tramel

sperry
1/1/2011, 01:45 AM
Bonfire of the Vanities- Tom Wolfe. Also trying to fight through Tom Clancy's new book, Dead or Alive, but it's just so bad. His first few books were unbelievable, and they've been progressively downhill from there, although they were still pretty good until The Bear and the Dragon, which officially jumped the shark for the series.

Leroy Lizard
1/1/2011, 03:44 AM
How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Tough book. I had to read the first chapter three times to understand it.

jumperstop
1/1/2011, 03:49 AM
I got Band of Brothers for christmas, haven't read any yet cause I left it at home. Stupid me forgot my book on the 20 hour drive to Arizona.

dwarthog
1/1/2011, 09:25 AM
Dead or Alive by Tom Clancy right now.

American Lion by Jon Meacham is in the queue.

Midtowner
1/1/2011, 09:56 AM
The Story of Sigma Nu.

BajaOklahoma
1/1/2011, 11:17 AM
I'm still working my way through my OU football books. I think I have 25 left.

AlboSooner
1/1/2011, 11:17 AM
Obama's Wars by Bob Woodward

C&CDean
1/1/2011, 11:26 AM
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E Howard.

The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury.

GDC
1/1/2011, 11:35 AM
True Grit by Charles Portis

Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis

Bad Students, Not Bad Schools by Robert Weissberg

Wishboned
1/1/2011, 11:56 AM
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

KC//CRIMSON
1/1/2011, 12:01 PM
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

SanJoaquinSooner
1/1/2011, 12:14 PM
No books - just selections from 480 job applications for one position.

But for pleasure, I got interested in Dexter after someone started a thread about the series.

The first two seasons are on Netflix streaming, which I watched over these holidays. I just rented Season Three from Blockbuster.

waynepayne
1/1/2011, 12:17 PM
Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lampiri

I have a Barnes and Noble gift certificate I got for Christmas burning a hole in my pocket so great thread!

I want to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks next. Has anyone read it yet?

setem
1/1/2011, 12:33 PM
The Rum Diaries

by Hunter S. Thompson

It will be made into a movie soon.

Turd_Ferguson
1/1/2011, 12:34 PM
Fun with The and Jane...

the_ouskull
1/1/2011, 12:36 PM
"The Dumbest Generation," by: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Bauerlein

"Dumbing Down: The Strip-Mining of American Culture," (http://books.google.com/books?id=-iUEBfvoP_cC&printsec=frontcover&dq=dumbing+down&source=bl&ots=F1FNCDMOWm&sig=U2epTa6F-iBJo87RjQ-mp9woy5s&hl=en&ei=-GQfTdeEJIK78gbA09jdDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&sqi=2&ved=0CGMQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false) by a handful of people. (It's a book of essays...)

...and...

This. (http://www.generationme.org/) Although I admit that it was the cover that drew me to the book originally.

They're all re-reads. I've been lesson-planning too much to read anything new right now. This (http://www.narcissismepidemic.com/) will probably be the next "new" read of mine... unless Hastings (finally) gets Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" in paperback.

the_ouskull

Tailwind
1/1/2011, 12:54 PM
Doesn't anyone read anything fun around here?

OnlyOneOklahoma
1/1/2011, 03:13 PM
Starship Troopers.

usaosooner
1/1/2011, 04:00 PM
The Associate

Leroy Lizard
1/1/2011, 04:57 PM
To those of you who like war books, check out Richard Franks' Guadalcanal. Also Paul Carrell's The Desert Fox (Rommel, as told from the German Side. Best war book I have ever read.)

A Sooner in Texas
1/1/2011, 05:17 PM
Cleopatra: A Life via Kindle on my Android phone.

the_ouskull
1/1/2011, 05:41 PM
Doesn't anyone read anything fun around here?

Brett Easton Ellis, Chuck Palahniuk, Stephen King, Chad Kultgen, a lot of "classics," (mainly Shakespeare, in my case) and more blogs, etc... (red94.net, dailythunder.com, truehoop.com, etc...) than I could ever possible mention. Any of that count?

the_ouskull

Tailwind
1/1/2011, 05:54 PM
Sure. Stephan King and Shakespeare are always good. I like to read Janet Evanovich, JK Rowling and Marcia Mueller. Also the thrillers by current novelists who's names escape me at the moment due to Lortab usage.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/1/2011, 06:04 PM
Anybody read Peter Hessler's Oracle Bones or Country Driving?

http://www.ebook3000.com/upimg/201006/10/10044803517.jpeg

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/3110-review.jpg/7471309-1-eng-US/3110-review.jpg_full_600.jpg

Tiptonsooner
1/1/2011, 06:05 PM
How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Tough book. I had to read the first chapter three times to understand it.

A 4th reading might not be out of the question....;)

Tulsa_Fireman
1/1/2011, 06:05 PM
Quantum of Solace.

The LACK of parallels between the Bond books and the movies is amazing.

Leroy Lizard
1/1/2011, 06:31 PM
A 4th reading might not be out of the question....;)

No way. I got through the first chapter and I have already disagreed with half of his points.

JCBoomer
1/1/2011, 06:44 PM
Currently reading Foundation and Empire, which is the 2nd book of the original Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov. Santa Claus brought me the trilogy, so I have the third waiting (Second Foundation). I'm also reading Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes, which I've been working on for about two to three years. My goal is to finish it this year!

I also received The Children of Hurin by JRR Tolkien and Liberty and Tyranny by Mark R. Levin, which I'll try to get through in the next couple of weeks.

oklaclarinet
1/1/2011, 07:36 PM
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo and Earth:The Book

crawfish
1/1/2011, 07:40 PM
"After You Believe - Why Christian Character Matters" by N.T Wright.

NathanStinson
1/1/2011, 11:39 PM
I am doing my yearly book journaling/reading.

I would love for others to join in!

Last years: https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AeiWFN3GXcisZGhjOXRoaDhfMzExY3M1dzdrdDY&hl=en&authkey=CJKF7bAB
two years ago: https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AeiWFN3GXcisZGhjOXRoaDhfMjExOXRjOTRxZnI&hl=en&authkey=CKux9K0B

This year: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sDJrJ34boSuKtX5JpVdYo_O2Zw_KGQ36w-iMOQA44TA/edit?hl=en&authkey=CJOE1KcM

Join in and write along:D

soonerchk
1/2/2011, 07:18 PM
Cleopatra: A Life via Kindle on my Android phone.

Reading that in actual book form. I read a book on Cleopatra's daughter last summer that I would also recommed.

Bonfire of the Vanities- Tom Wolfe. Also trying to fight through Tom Clancy's new book, Dead or Alive, but it's just so bad. His first few books were unbelievable, and they've been progressively downhill from there, although they were still pretty good until The Bear and the Dragon, which officially jumped the shark for the series.
Dead or Alive is next on my list. Bear and Dragon was the worst Clancy book ever, but I loved Teeth of the Tiger, so I'm looking forward to this one.

CowboyMRW
1/2/2011, 10:57 PM
Any John Grisham fans out there. I love his books.

Also the single, greatest book I've ever read is Crazy Horse Electric Game by Chris Crutcher.

Eielson
1/2/2011, 11:20 PM
Brett Easton Ellis, Chuck Palahniuk, Stephen King, Chad Kultgen, a lot of "classics," (mainly Shakespeare, in my case) and more blogs, etc... (red94.net, dailythunder.com, truehoop.com, etc...) than I could ever possible mention. Any of that count?

the_ouskull

GUTS?!

sooner59
1/3/2011, 12:41 AM
I'm reading a book by James Rollins called "Excavation". A mystery/suspense/action book in the Indiana Jones genre. Pretty good. I like it so far.

sooner59
1/3/2011, 12:44 AM

HAHA! I had to read the follow-up to that book "The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness" during the fall for a class in my masters program. I also have "The Speed of Trust" by Covey as well. I don't plan on reading that one. If you want it, i'll mail it to you.

sooner59
1/3/2011, 12:46 AM
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E Howard.

The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury.

Dean, I have this book and actually began reading it last year and put it down and forgot about it. I would have to start over if I pick it back up. Let me know if it is good.

TUSooner
1/3/2011, 09:54 AM
Clive: Life and Times of a British Emperor by Robert Harvey. It's about Robert Clive, who basically won India for England in the mid-1700s. Just started, but the guy seems very remarkable, to say the least.

I just finished Cochrane: Life and Exploits of Fighting Captain (or something like that). Thomas Cochrane was an astonishing man -- an awesome sea captain whose victories and adventures were more amazing than fiction, and a radical politician and inventor. I'm surprised more people don't know about this guy (or Clive for that matter).

Before that I just finished a book about the history of the Royal Navy, and how that institution shaped the modern world, which was interesting and well-reasoned, but not especially well-written (imho). To Rule the Waves by Arthur Herman

I'm in a "Joy of British Imperialism" stage, as noted a few weeks ago.

FirstandGoal
1/3/2011, 11:49 AM
Look Again by Lisa Scottoline. Me and some girls from work do a book club once a month and that is this month's book. Just started it last night.

booomer
1/3/2011, 01:24 PM
HAHA! I had to read the follow-up to that book "The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness" during the fall for a class in my masters program. I also have "The Speed of Trust" by Covey as well. I don't plan on reading that one. If you want it, i'll mail it to you.

Hey, I'll take it! Thanks, and I'll pay you back for the shipping.

I'm employed fulltime, but trying to start a new business and these books are a big help....I've been trying to read as many of these kinds of books that I can find.

I'll PM my mailing address to you.

smc
1/3/2011, 01:27 PM
Just finished "Hell's Corner" by David Baldacci...from the Oliver Stone/Camel Club series...good book but getting some of the same old same old from the first few books.

2121Sooner
1/3/2011, 01:40 PM
Never Eat Alone
by: Keith Ferrazi

Decision Points
by: W

Sooner Tri
1/3/2011, 01:58 PM
My wife gave me "The Cheapskate Next Door" for Christmas, and I'm about halfway through it. Funny read on people who choose to live below their means. Not sure why she thought of me when she read the title! haha

StroudSooner
1/3/2011, 02:08 PM
jQuery: Novice to Ninja by Earle Castledine

ouwasp
1/3/2011, 08:31 PM
Any John Grisham fans out there. I love his books.

Also the single, greatest book I've ever read is Crazy Horse Electric Game by Chris Crutcher.

The last one of Grisham's I read was Playing For Pizza... a fun book, most football fans would probably enjoy that one. A Painted House was excellent, reminded me of stories my parents have passed along...

SunnySooner
1/3/2011, 11:19 PM
If y'all haven't read this, read it, I couldn't put it down. Srsly, I'm in the kitchen, standing at the stove cooking dinner with this book in my hand. Yes, I burned it, but wow, what a great read...
http://images.funagain.com/cover/medium/16986.jpg

The 'sequel' (takes place a few hundred years later) is also really good. Not as good as the first, but still a really good book...
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/10/15/KF_071012032205040_wideweb__300x454.jpg

These books include everything from architecture to the Black Death with lots of drama, politics, sex, and assassinations thrown in for good measure. Allsome.

thesnowbishop
1/3/2011, 11:39 PM
Bonfire of the Vanities- Tom Wolfe.

I do believe this novel has the best description of a drunkard's hangover ever written. Just as Stephen King's The Green Mile has the best description of urinary tract troubles. As for my current readings: rereading Ethan Canin's "The Palace Thief", Homer and Langley (E. L. Doctorow), and A Distant Mirror (Barbara Tuchman).

SouthFortySooner
1/4/2011, 12:04 AM
REreading 'Black Light' - Stephen Hunter

Leroy Lizard
1/4/2011, 03:38 AM
The Anarchists' Cookbook. I've got to find a way to get even with some of you bastards.

:D

NathanStinson
1/4/2011, 09:03 AM
If y'all haven't read this, read it, I couldn't put it down. Srsly, I'm in the kitchen, standing at the stove cooking dinner with this book in my hand. Yes, I burned it, but wow, what a great read...
http://images.funagain.com/cover/medium/16986.jpg

The 'sequel' (takes place a few hundred years later) is also really good. Not as good as the first, but still a really good book...
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/10/15/KF_071012032205040_wideweb__300x454.jpg

These books include everything from architecture to the Black Death with lots of drama, politics, sex, and assassinations thrown in for good measure. Allsome.

Great novels.

A Song of Ice and Fire is my favorite series.

pphilfran
1/4/2011, 09:35 AM
Just finished "Hell's Corner" by David Baldacci...from the Oliver Stone/Camel Club series...good book but getting some of the same old same old from the first few books.

I am reading it now...

Next will be a 1000 pages of Clancy's "Dead or Alive"...

ELP Sooner
1/4/2011, 03:06 PM
Nixonland by Rick Perlstein

TUSooner
1/4/2011, 03:08 PM
The Anarchists' Cookbook. I've got to find a way to get even with some of you bastards.

Your posting is painful enough!!!! NO MORE! NO MORE !!!

rainiersooner
1/5/2011, 12:03 AM
Decision Points by George W. Bush. I was trying to be open minded. It is horrendous. Sorry.

Penguin
1/5/2011, 12:10 AM
I'm reading yo mama's tramp stamp.

sperry
1/5/2011, 12:27 AM
I am reading it now...

Next will be a 1000 pages of Clancy's "Dead or Alive"...

Dead or Alive is painfully bad.

Leroy Lizard
1/5/2011, 12:34 AM
Your posting is painful enough!!!! NO MORE! NO MORE !!!

That gives me an idea. I should write my own book.