PDA

View Full Version : Best of the Year

SanJoaquinSooner
12/31/2010, 02:15 PM
Well, before mentioning the best, allow me to mention the worst: Dean Foods was the worst performing stock of the S&P 500 - down more than 50% on the year. Well, half the problem is probably the name - "Dean Foods" - who would name their company such a dorky name? I do occasionally buy their Land-O-Lakes butter, but that's about it.

The best performing stock of the S&P 500 was Netflix - up over 220% for the year (WaynePayne, we coulda been rich).

This leads me to think about my favorite movie of the year and movies I want to see but haven't.

Favorite of 2010: Social Network. I haven't seen Carlos nor Winter's Bone -both high on my list. Ok, yeah, maybe True Grit.

Other films I never saw (since 2000) that I want to eventually see are:

Ghostworld
Yi Yi A one and a two.
Mulhalland Drive
Still Walking
There will be Blood.
The Secret in Their Eyes

Films I did see (since 2000) and recommend if you haven't"

4 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days
Entre Nos
The Edge of Heaven
Perros Amores
You Can Count on Me
The Lives of Others
Knocked Up
Sin Nombre
Slumdog Millionaire
Million Dollar Baby

SanJoaquinSooner
12/31/2010, 06:50 PM
The Winklevii twins settled for $20 million in cash and $45 million in Facebook shares in 2004, on their charge of their social network idea being stolen. It appears they are suffering from settlers' remorse and want the courts to unsettle the settlement -- even though the value of their Facebook shares make the settlement worth $140 million today.

But they see a company worth $50 billion and want a bigger piece...."it's not about the money" according to the Winklevii, "but the principle of having your idea stolen."

Any of you attorneys follow this case? Can the twins winkle their way out of a settlement for a bigger payday? Do they have the legal grounds?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/12/31/business/31TWINS/31TWINS-popup.jpg

Here's the NY times article on it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/31/business/31twins.html?_r=3&src=busln&pagewanted=all

waynepayne
12/31/2010, 07:13 PM
Well, before mentioning the best, allow me to mention the worst: Dean Foods was the worst performing stock of the S&P 500 - down more than 50% on the year. Well, half the problem is probably the name - "Dean Foods" - who would name their company such a dorky name? I do occasionally buy their Land-O-Lakes butter, but that's about it.

The best performing stock of the S&P 500 was Netflix - up over 220% for the year (WaynePayne, we coulda been rich).

This leads me to think about my favorite movie of the year and movies I want to see but haven't.

Favorite of 2010: Social Network. I haven't seen Carlos nor Winter's Bone -both high on my list. Ok, yeah, maybe True Grit.

Other films I never saw (since 2000) that I want to eventually see are:

Ghostworld
Yi Yi A one and a two.
Mulhalland Drive
Still Walking
There will be Blood.
The Secret in Their Eyes

Films I did see (since 2000) and recommend if you haven't"

4 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days
Entre Nos
The Edge of Heaven
Perros Amores
You Can Count on Me
The Lives of Others
Knocked Up
Sin Nombre
Slumdog Millionaire
Million Dollar Baby

*sigh* what could have been if we only had the foresight!

Heck of a list SJS!

I would like to add

Junebug
Far From Heaven
Lars and the Real Girl

There are a ton more like The Town, The Departed, Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, 3:10 to Yuma and Cinderella Man that were all terrific but I would think most people have seen.

I know there are more but am about to head out for the night!

I hope you all have a wonderful and safe New Years!