PDA

View Full Version : Tenn blew it

B1rd
12/30/2010, 10:41 PM
Should have taken the ball first.
They would have it at the 40 instead of NC getting it at 12.5.

They scored. Does not matter now n

85sooners
12/30/2010, 10:49 PM
:gary:

GovtCheese
12/30/2010, 10:51 PM

They scored. Does not matter now n

North Carolina should of never been allowed to kick the game tying FG at the end of regulation. The clock was running, yes he spiked it with 1 second left but the penalty nullifies that play and the clock should of ran out. Poor Dooley!

StoopTroup
12/30/2010, 10:51 PM
Should have shook a few hands before walking off the field too. Buncha cry baby cheating losers

StoopTroup
12/30/2010, 10:52 PM
North Carolina should of never been allowed to kick the game tying FG at the end of regulation. The clock was running, yes he spiked it with 1 second left but the penalty nullifies that play and the clock should of ran out. Poor Dooley!

Could you point out the NCAA ruling on that? Link?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/ncaa/NCAA/Sports+and+Championship/Football/Championship+Administration/index-football_champ_admin#DI

GovtCheese
12/30/2010, 10:56 PM
Could you point out the NCAA ruling on that? Link?
I don't know the exact rule but when the penalty was assessed and the ref placed the ball, the clock would of ran. Since there was so much confusion at the end it gave NC the time to have their kicking team ready to go once the ball was placed. Correct me if I am wrong but that is how I interpret it.

StoopTroup
12/30/2010, 10:57 PM
It was reviewed by every Ref there and suddenly you have an opinion without merit?

StoopTroup
12/30/2010, 11:00 PM
Find the ruling and I'll join you in calling it a bad call.

GovtCheese
12/30/2010, 11:00 PM
So you are saying the clock doesn't continue to run on an offensive penalty? I'm sure the "experts" will analyze this enough over the next couple of hours and we will have an apology from the NCAA but Tennessee still gets the sh*t end of the stick.

CowboyMRW
12/30/2010, 11:03 PM
It should've never even came down to that. Tennessee blew it by being total retards on defense in a span of like 20 seconds

StoopTroup
12/30/2010, 11:16 PM
So you are saying the clock doesn't continue to run on an offensive penalty? I'm sure the "experts" will analyze this enough over the next couple of hours and we will have an apology from the NCAA but Tennessee still gets the sh*t end of the stick.

I bet they don't...

....Rule 5-2 Article 9 "No rule decision may be changed after the ball is next legally snapped, legally free kicked, or the 2nd or 4th period has ended."

Once it's in the books....it's final.

sooner59
12/30/2010, 11:17 PM
Tenn had like 3 personal fouls in the last 30 seconds and it should have been 4 because a flagrant one was not called. They gave this game to NC. I LOL'd.

sooner518
12/30/2010, 11:21 PM
Tenn had like 3 personal fouls in the last 30 seconds and it should have been 4 because a flagrant one was not called. They gave this game to NC. I LOL'd.

the "4th penalty" was not a penalty. the player who hit the UNC player was very clearly pushed from behind into the UNC player.

sooner59
12/30/2010, 11:24 PM
Didn't see a push. But 3 is plenty enough to doom your team.

sooner518
12/30/2010, 11:26 PM
Didn't see a push. But 3 is plenty enough to doom your team.
it was pretty blatant. Bob Davie must be blind because he was yapping all about it after 3 straight replays. but yea, Tenn. definitely screwed themselves with dumb plays

MelloYello
12/30/2010, 11:32 PM
This is what Tennessee gets for having poor shower discipline.

sooner59
12/30/2010, 11:33 PM
This is what Tennessee gets for having poor shower discipline.

BWAAAAHHAHAHAHAH!!!

olevetonahill
12/30/2010, 11:33 PM
I bet they don't

ST yer arguing with a Leroid wannabe
Hell every one of these idjits know more than all the Zebras combined :D

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 12:17 AM

If the QB Downed the Ball before the clock ran out....Rule 3 Section 6.

Also...as far as the ruling being changed or disputed....Rule5-2 Article 9 "No rule decision may be changed after the ball is next legally snapped, legally free kicked, or the 2nd or 4th period has ended."

You can look through the illegal substitution rules and there's no mention of loss of down...5 yard penalty and if the Coach does it again as a way to disrupt the game it can become a 15 yard penalty. No way the Game ends, no way the penalty ends the game.

You can read the rules regarding the replay in this situation and from what I read they handled this one properly.

Unless you can find a specific ruling in the rulebook...I'm afraid you're just talking about how "You" think the rules should be.

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 12:21 AM
ST yer arguing with a Leroid wannabe
Hell every one of these idjits know more than all the Zebras combined :D

Yeah but in this case...i'm not going to argue....I'm calling BS unless they can find the ruling in their head in the freaking NCAA Rule book. I just took a bit of time to look through the rulings that might support their theory. If I'd have found one....I would have pointed it out. From how I read it....Tennessee should have played better defense in the last series and kept UNCs kicker on the otherside of the 50 yard line.....lol

jumperstop
12/31/2010, 12:37 AM
I still feel kinda bad for them, but that's what those ****ers get for wearing orange.

Eielson
12/31/2010, 12:39 AM

I think they made the right call.

oudavid1
12/31/2010, 03:29 AM
i really hate UNC right now.

texaspokieokie
12/31/2010, 10:35 AM
I still feel kinda bad for them, but that's what those ****ers get for wearing orange.

did you notice what a poor match the orange on their jerseys was with the
orange on their helmets ??
poor

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 10:40 AM

...and throwing an INT in OT. That kind of mistake isn't usually one that gets you a 2nd chance for the win. In this case....it was a death sentence.

kc sooner
12/31/2010, 11:45 AM
If the QB Downed the Ball before the clock ran out....Rule 3 Section 6.

Also...as far as the ruling being changed or disputed....Rule5-2 Article 9 "No rule decision may be changed after the ball is next legally snapped, legally free kicked, or the 2nd or 4th period has ended."

You can look through the illegal substitution rules and there's no mention of loss of down...5 yard penalty and if the Coach does it again as a way to disrupt the game it can become a 15 yard penalty. No way the Game ends, no way the penalty ends the game.

You can read the rules regarding the replay in this situation and from what I read they handled this one properly.

Unless you can find a specific ruling in the rulebook...I'm afraid you're just talking about how "You" think the rules should be.

You're right, there is no rule, but there should be just like the NFL. North Carolina won the game because THEY committed a penalty - how is that fair? They did something wrong and got rewarded for it. Maybe I'm just mad because I bet on UT and they screwed me!

badger
12/31/2010, 11:53 AM
All I could think about during the entire game was how Matt was the spitting image of Chrissy - the same eyes, the same pouty handwarmer stance when he got benched (in Chrissy's case, the Holiday Bowl in favor of Major), the orange, the #2 Simms jersey... gahhhh.

As for the game ending call, I was off playing vidya instead of watching that pastels-filled creamsicle colored jersey game. I was yelling at NP "DON'T SPOIL THE ENDING!" as they were showing the highlights later, and it's like... "Ohhhhhh maaaaannnn. Really????" as NC kicks a winning field goal in OT. Seriously? Holy cow. And after the KSU ending... two screwy endings. Good thing the bowls are just played for a trophy instead of money or something significant. I know that the Nashville bowl might mean something to somebody, but in the grand scope of things... yeah. Maybe it'll mean a rule change in the future.

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 11:56 AM
You're right, there is no rule, but there should be just like the NFL. North Carolina won the game because THEY committed a penalty - how is that fair? They did something wrong and got rewarded for it. Maybe I'm just mad because I bet on UT and they screwed me!

I can't agree. Mistakes happen. They didn't commit that penalty to stop the clock and the Refs didn't use the penalty to save the day for them. The Refs looked at the play clock and whether or not the QB Spiked the ball with time on the clock.

Since there was time left....they enforced the substitution penalty and gave them another play. If any mistake was made....it might be that if they had thought that UNC was trying to screw with them on the last play with the illegal Substitution....they should have given them 15 yards....per the rule book.

I don't know how many times I've heard folks/fans complain about the Refs making calls that resulted in a situation that didn't allow the players to settle this on the field. In this case they let UNC take a shot at a FG since Tennessee allowed them to march down the field on them....UNC made it.....Tennessee got the coin flip and allowed UNC to go first. UNC Scored and Tenn scored. Tennessee got the ball again and threw an INT. A HUGE mistake. A mistake you don't make in OT.

Game over.

Now....UNC did look like they'd made the biggest mistake in all of College Football toward the end of the game but the refs and the replay Refs quickly made the right call it seems. Doing anything different would have left this game in more controversy than it is now IMO. They made a good call in a close game and let the teams fight it out in OT.

Sorry some of you lost money on this one....but that's the way it goes sometimes....

If a rule change needs to be made....it might be that after 2 minutes to go....any penalty is an automatic 15 yards instead of five if it could affect the games ending?

badger
12/31/2010, 12:00 PM
Solution: Penalize seconds off the clock instead of yardage during the last two minutes of the fourth quarter at the opposing teams' discretion.

Instead of a five yard penalty, Tennessee would have the option of requesting a five second penalty.

This of course could not apply to untimed plays, extra point attempts or kickoffs. If the play has the word "down" in it though (as in "First Down at 10") then penalizing time off the clock would be a good alternative to discourage shenanigans.

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 12:04 PM
Solution: Penalize seconds off the clock instead of yardage during the last two minutes of the fourth quarter at the opposing teams' discretion.

Instead of a five yard penalty, Tennessee would have the option of requesting a five second penalty.

This of course could not apply to untimed plays, extra point attempts or kickoffs. If the play has the word "down" in it though (as in "First Down at 10") then penalizing time off the clock would be a good alternative to discourage shenanigans.

So Coaches adjust to this and the same thing could take place even after penalizing them with time. Instead of letting it run down to 1 sec...they always stop at 6. Instead of running the ball UNC passes it. I still see the same outcome.

badger
12/31/2010, 12:08 PM
Yeah... it's a tricky one. I still cannot believe UNC ran the ball with no timeouts left with so little time left. What was Butch thinking?!?!

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 12:12 PM
Yeah... it's a tricky one. I still cannot believe UNC ran the ball with no timeouts left with so little time left. What was Butch thinking?!?!

No idea. They weren't prepared well for what came next. They were very lucky as the Rules say the Game is Over once the Ref calls it....it only gets called back if the guys in the booth think there was time left on the clock when the UNC QB Snapped and downed the ball. Since there was circumstances worth letting the Heels have another play they made the call. In this case it was time which is in the rules. Just considering how the rules read....and from what I read last night about it.....they made the right call per the current rules. Again....UNC was very lucky and Tenn didn't play to win....they were playing for UNC to make a mistake. I think they should have taken the ball first in OT.

OUinFLA
12/31/2010, 12:14 PM
Now....UNC did look like they'd made the biggest mistake in all of College Football toward the end of the game but the refs and the replay Refs quickly made the right call it seems.

UNC football required reading = Les Mile's book, "How To Manage The Clock"

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 12:15 PM
UNC football required reading = Les Mile's book, "How To Manage The Clock"

Yeah....he played it damn to close to the wire....unbelievable. Great ending if you didn't care who won.

soonerloyal
12/31/2010, 12:27 PM
I gotta say I absolutely loved that Vol's sign that read:

"Hey LanE,
misS
Playing
iN Bowls yet?"

I LOL'd a lot. :D

badger
12/31/2010, 12:32 PM
I was talking to NP about that last night, trying to remember if Tennessee ended with 7 or 8 wins last year (after the bowl), to compare Kiffie's first year at Rocky Top with Doooooley's.

I know that there was a lot of pitchforks and fires the night Lane decided to skip town, but he clearly did not leave the cupboard bare. There was talent on that team (must be an S-E-C! S-E-C! thing) and they didn't totally suck. I'll admit that Lane didn't do much besides create headlines at Tennessee (for bad reasons) but maybe that's what they needed to start having (sorta) winning seasons again.

budbarrybob
12/31/2010, 02:02 PM
Fun game to watch no matter how you slice it. :D

Dan Thompson
12/31/2010, 06:59 PM
That was the worst clock management by UT that I have seen. The QB should have let the play clock get closer to 1 or 2 seconds, but I remember one play where they snapped the ball with 10 or 11 seconds left.

TUSooner
12/31/2010, 09:15 PM
Maybe GovtCheese meant the rule should be like the NFL rule, where there is a 10-second clock run-off if the offense commits a penalty in that situation. I'd agree. NC did not deserve to get another chance after that mess. That's twice this year that Tenn has run on the field to celebrate an apparent win only to lose the game.

olevetonahill
12/31/2010, 09:17 PM
Kev. Who GAS ?
The KU dude dint deserve the Salute penalty either . **** it its over lets move on to whats Important
OU :D :cool:

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 09:48 PM
Maybe GovtCheese meant the rule should be like the NFL rule, where there is a 10-second clock run-off if the offense commits a penalty in that situation. I'd agree. NC did not deserve to get another chance after that mess. That's twice this year that Tenn has run on the field to celebrate an apparent win only to lose the game.

I guess that's just how people perceive what teams deserve. I thought they did for getting the ball down field on Tennessee in the last minute. The announcers even talked about the Tenn punt going into the EZ being a good thing as at that point you didn't want to get greedy and try and pin the ball deep and run time off the clock. If they had....maybe they win the game?

See what I mean?

We've pretty much all expressed what we think should have happened but the Refs got it right IMO per the current rules. The players made plays that settled the game....I'm for letting it play out more than I am letting a call decide the ending....

olevetonahill
12/31/2010, 10:15 PM
Besides , If the NFL rules **** ya up in watchin College Ball , then quit watching the NFL;)

kc sooner
1/1/2011, 02:09 PM
I agree that the call was right, it's the rule now as it is, I just don't see how it's right, I read the paper today and see where the national coordinator of officials said they will review the rule and might do something like the NFL, he said it was awkward that a team could commit a foul and be rewarded for it - that's my point.

Leroy Lizard
1/1/2011, 03:31 PM
I agree that the call was right, it's the rule now as it is, I just don't see how it's right, I read the paper today and see where the national coordinator of officials said they will review the rule and might do something like the NFL, he said it was awkward that a team could commit a foul and be rewarded for it - that's my point.

It happens whenever a DB pulls down a WR that has him beat. The D benefits from the penalty. What are they going to do about that?

A team takes a five-yard penalty to give their punter more room to down it deep, or to give their FG kicker a better angle.

The O in this case considered that giving up a penalty was worth it, so they took the penalty. Good call. Why should the NCAA worry about it?

kc sooner
1/1/2011, 07:56 PM
Because the clock was running, they had no way to stop it, that's all but I'm just stupid, the NCAA doesn't need to worry about it.