PDA

View Full Version : I HATE excessive celebration calls

sendbaht
12/30/2010, 06:42 PM
What a way to mess with this KSt game.....What a pile of stuff.

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 06:42 PM
What a way to mess with this KSt game.....What a pile of stuff.

This makes the BIG EAST > BIG XII because of this 1 game during bowl season.:rolleyes:

colinreturn
12/30/2010, 06:45 PM
that was a unbelievable call. I haven't been this mad in awhile

sooner518
12/30/2010, 06:46 PM
Ruined what was a really good game. ******y refs

CBUS_SOONER
12/30/2010, 06:47 PM
tough call, but act like youve done that sh!t before

Keller Sooner
12/30/2010, 06:55 PM
That call ruined the game for me. You take that call and compare it to the non-call on The Blackmon touchdown last night and they don't make sense to me. This crap is hurting college football! :mad:

sooner518
12/30/2010, 06:56 PM
What does "drawing attention to yourself entail"? It seems a ref could make a call for pretty much anything if there really looking for a penalty like this ref was obviously trying to do. Can a player jump up and high five a teammate? Surely that draws afternoon to yourself and should thus be penalized.

Leroy Lizard
12/30/2010, 06:58 PM
I think this problem could be cleared up if they make the penalty 5 yards instead of 15.

btb916
I also think it's a bogus penalty that should only be enforced in the most egregious situations. I didn't see this call though.

silverwheels
tough call, but act like youve done that sh!t before

It's Kansas State, so they haven't. :D

oudavid1
12/30/2010, 07:00 PM
It's Kansas State, so they haven't. :D

lol hahaha

But seriously, they called the exact same penalty against Texas Tech when they scored against us in Norman this year. So if you werent mad then, dont be mad now. I agree with the call.

85sooners
12/30/2010, 07:02 PM
The kid didn't do anything for a penalty refs suck

OUthunder
12/30/2010, 07:02 PM
me too. I mean, if you pull a T.O. or his partner from the Bengals, then throw a flag. But a kid giving a quick salute to the fans who traveled that far in that weather...

**** that **** ref!

Collier11
12/30/2010, 07:03 PM
Bad rule, right call. My opinion is that it shouldnt be called unless you are showing up the other team, having said that it is the rule

SoonerLB
12/30/2010, 07:08 PM
That call ruined the game for me. You take that call and compare it to the non-call on The Blackmon touchdown last night and they don't make sense to me. This crap is hurting college football! :mad:

Good point, but every college football player is told over and over again that there can be no antics in the end zone, yet the dumb azzes still gotta show their azz. This was pretty lame when compared to what Blackmon did though, I totally agree on that. I hope our guys were watching and taking notes, I'd hate to lose a game because of senseless antics.

sooner518
12/30/2010, 07:10 PM
For those who haven't seen it, here it is (click the picture and itll take you to the video):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/sooner518/th_930c0736.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v251/sooner518/?action=view&current=930c0736.mp4)

Again, my question is: why isn't high-fiving or jumping up in the air after a TD a penalty? These both "Draw attention to oneself." Its inconsistently enforced, and thats why its dumb/annoying.

And I didnt see the Tech player do it against us, but yes, I think that was a stupid call as well.

Collier11
12/30/2010, 07:11 PM
well the rule in college is that you can celebrate with your team within reason, celebrating alone is a no no

OUthunder
12/30/2010, 07:13 PM
If any of you tivo'd the game. About 2 or three plays before the KSU TD penalty was called, one of the Syracuse players made a nice play for a loss. Then proceeded to dust himself off like no big deal right in front of the head ref. If you call the salute a penalty, you gotta call that to. If that was calling attention to one's self, I don't know what is.

The refs really had it in for KSU it seemed all game.

101sooner
12/30/2010, 07:15 PM
How hard is it to not plan to salute after a TD when you know it could cost you a game.

usaosooner
12/30/2010, 07:19 PM
Horrible call.. just flat out horrible

delhalew
12/30/2010, 07:23 PM
lol hahaha

But seriously, they called the exact same penalty against Texas Tech when they scored against us in Norman this year. So if you werent mad then, dont be mad now. I agree with the call.

You and anyone else who agree with a call like that is a POS. That kid gave a salute! I've seen kids at an armed forces academy penalized for that. It's bull****.

This will get worse as time goes on. Crusty old ****wads trying to eliminate all emotion from the game. Completely ruined a great game.

1890MilesToNorman
12/30/2010, 07:23 PM
Scoring a touchdown tends to draw attention to yourself. The call was BS!

Okie35
12/30/2010, 07:24 PM
Bad rule, right call. My opinion is that it shouldnt be called unless you are showing up the other team, having said that it is the rule

I saw the salute earlier today during the SMU/Army game. I guess since it was an Army game they didn't call it right?! :rolleyes: Funny thing is, that salute earlier was longer.

85sooners
12/30/2010, 07:24 PM
F that ref he is a pu$$y

Okie35
12/30/2010, 07:27 PM
That Tennessee player just now did a salute and more. No flag lol.

Leroy Lizard
12/30/2010, 07:29 PM
Tenn WR should have been flagged.

Okie35
12/30/2010, 07:30 PM
Tenn WR should have been flagged.

These are Big Ten refs too. I guess these are the good ones. KSU got the bad ones.

sooner518
12/30/2010, 07:31 PM
both Tennessee WR and the QB saluted..... seriously. you cant make this stuff up

Leroy Lizard
12/30/2010, 07:33 PM
both Tennessee WR and the QB saluted..... seriously. you cant make this stuff up

Saluted? The Tenn WR acted like a jackass.

mfosterftw
12/30/2010, 07:34 PM
This was the worst excessive celebration call since Jake Locker's for Washington vs. BYU a few years ago. I've just about had it with excessive celebration calls and non-calls. There is no standard for the rule, because "calling attention to yourself" is not and cannot be enforced evenly. There were thousands of non-calls this season for defenders individually proclaiming glory after big tackles. These 2-second Hakas were far worse than that call. Pointing to the sky or taking a knee isn't called, so why should a half-second crowd salute?

That said, why is it that only football has this rule? How come we don't see it in basketball (fist pump for nailing a big three pointer with time running down), baseball/softball (after a homer or a defensive gem), soccer (after a pk), or hockey (high sticking for raising your sticks after a goal). All these sports allow for individualized celebration. Football does not.

TheMind__Gap
12/30/2010, 07:34 PM
well the rule in college is that you can celebrate with your team within reason, celebrating alone is a no no

So when Murray does his Jay-Z thing on every touchdown it should be a penalty?

sooner ngintunr
12/30/2010, 07:39 PM
So when Murray does his Jay-Z thing on every touchdown it should be a penalty?

:confused:

He doesn't do the same thing every time. I see him calling "safe at home" alot. I thought it was a baseball thing?

edit; I dont remember him throwing up the diamond cutter, wouldn't surprise me if he has though.

THE-JROD
12/30/2010, 07:41 PM
Call me old fashioned..I really dont give a dayum, but just give the ball to the ref and go to ur dayum sideline. Then you aint got a thing to worry about.

mfosterftw
12/30/2010, 07:42 PM
Wasn't it Gresham throwing the horns down at the RRS a few years ago? I suppose they ought to call that too.

sooner ngintunr
12/30/2010, 07:45 PM
either call it all, or not at all.

oudavid1
12/30/2010, 07:52 PM
You and anyone else who agree with a call like that is a POS. That kid gave a salute! I've seen kids at an armed forces academy penalized for that. It's bull****.

This will get worse as time goes on. Crusty old ****wads trying to eliminate all emotion from the game. Completely ruined a great game.

it is a bad rule, but it was a callable offense.

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 07:53 PM
Wasn't it Gresham throwing the horns down at the RRS a few years ago? I suppose they ought to call that too.

Didn't Kejuan Jones do horns down and knock the ref down in the process and not get called for it?

SWEET!!!:texan:

THE-JROD
12/30/2010, 07:58 PM

Like I've posted before...how come everyone has to celebrate at all? Why cant they get their butts back to the sideline and prepare for their next possession? Its the reason I cant hardly stand watchin the dayum NFL anymore is its gettin way outta hand. If some SOB sacks the qb, hes got to flex his muscle or do somethin else fukn stupid. Fukn celebrate when those last seconds tick off the clock and your team won! Sorry if this pisses ne one off, just a touchy subject to me.

cccasooner2
12/30/2010, 07:59 PM
Didn't Kejuan Jones do horns down and knock the ref down in the process and not get called for it?

Yes, but that was then, but this is now.

cccasooner2
12/30/2010, 08:01 PM

Yes, but that was then, this is now.

THE-JROD
12/30/2010, 08:03 PM

Like I've posted before...how come everyone has to celebrate at all? Why cant they get their butts back to the sideline and prepare for their next possession? Its the reason I cant hardly stand watchin the dayum NFL anymore is its gettin way outta hand. If some SOB sacks the qb, hes got to flex his muscle or do somethin else fukn stupid. Fukn celebrate when those last seconds tick off the clock and your team won! Sorry if this pisses ne one off, just a touchy subject to me.

sooner ngintunr
12/30/2010, 08:09 PM
weird.

picasso
12/30/2010, 08:13 PM
I used to grab my crotch and shake it at old ladies when I scored a TD.

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 08:17 PM

NFL takes it to the extreme, college are celebration nazis. There needs to be a happy medium. I see nothing wrong with celebration, but then again I see this as serving 2 purposes, getting your team pumped up, and giving something to the fans to celebrate as well.

THE-JROD
12/30/2010, 08:24 PM
NFL takes it to the extreme, college are celebration nazis. There needs to be a happy medium. I see nothing wrong with celebration, but then again I see this as serving 2 purposes, getting your team pumped up, and giving something to the fans to celebrate as well.

Thats the thing, is why does there need to be a reason to pump up your team or fans? The team should always be pumped up to play and the fans should always be pumped up to watch their team!

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 08:40 PM
Thats the thing, is why does there need to be a reason to pump up your team or fans? The team should always be pumped up to play and the fans should always be pumped up to watch their team!

Or they can show no emotion and act like a bunch of introverts and hand the ball to the referee like a robot. Nobody is denying that a team should not be pumped up to play, but good God I have no problem with players getting excited after a big play or a TD.

THE-JROD
12/30/2010, 08:48 PM
Or they can show no emotion and act like a bunch of introverts and hand the ball to the referee like a robot. Nobody is denying that a team should not be pumped up to play, but good God I have no problem with players getting excited after a big play or a TD.

Big big difference between getting excited after a big play...and makin sure everyone in the dayum nation pays attention to you! Never mentioned if i agreed with the kstate call or not...to be completely honest, i just now saw the play. No, the official never should have called that, players get away with a hell of a lot more than that! And how do you figure handing the ball to the official is being a robot? Its called discipline! The school i graduated from won their first State Championship this past year, and I couldnt have been anymore proud of those boys! There was NEVER a moment where they would try to draw attention to themselves after scoring or making a big play. Just sayin, you hardly ever see that anymore and its very disappointing!

StoopTroup
12/30/2010, 08:56 PM
Mark May, Holtz and some other doosh was talking about this at half of the Tenn v NC game. KSU salutes and gets a penalty. The same conference officials in this game let guys salute, make a belt move.....

The NCAA needs to take a look at how they decide to make these calls as they aren't consistent at all.

THE-JROD
12/30/2010, 08:58 PM
Mark May, Holtz and some other doosh was talking about this at half of the Tenn v NC game. KSU salutes and gets a penalty. The same conference officials in this game let guys salute, make a belt move.....

The NCAA needs to take a look at how they decide to make these calls as they aren't consistent at all.

Heard and saw the same thing! And I agree with you completely!

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 08:58 PM
Big big difference between getting excited after a big play...and makin sure everyone in the dayum nation pays attention to you! Never mentioned if i agreed with the kstate call or not...to be completely honest, i just now saw the play. No, the official never should have called that, players get away with a hell of a lot more than that! And how do you figure handing the ball to the official is being a robot? Its called discipline! The school i graduated from won their first State Championship this past year, and I couldnt have been anymore proud of those boys! There was NEVER a moment where they would try to draw attention to themselves after scoring or making a big play. Just sayin, you hardly ever see that anymore and its very disappointing!

Big big difference between getting excited after a big play...and makin sure everyone in the dayum nation pays attention to you!

Like I said, NFL takes to the extremes, college are celebration nazis.

to be completely honest, i just now saw the play. No, the official never should have called that, players get away with a hell of a lot more than that!

Exactly!

And how do you figure handing the ball to the official is being a robot? Its called discipline!

Players get excited by celebrating, whether it be by giving a high 5, jumping in the air and bumping, or pointing straight in the air, or in some cases saluting.

The saluting is probably the worst of all these celebration evils.

I guess we need to figure out if you like the players smiling after a touchdown or what you believe to be appropriate behavior of being excited is for a football player. I know in different sports, like basketball after a dunk a player screams. Would you find this inappropriate behavior?

There is nothing wrong with handing the ball to an official, but to suggest a player cannot celebrate and get excited is an introverted mentality.

The school i graduated from won their first State Championship this past year, and I couldnt have been anymore proud of those boys! There was NEVER a moment where they would try to draw attention to themselves after scoring or making a big play. Just sayin, you hardly ever see that anymore and its very disappointing!

Nobody is denying the discipline aspect, I believe you can be disciplined and get excited and show some form of celebration. I see a both/and aspect not an either/or.

StoopTroup
12/30/2010, 09:03 PM
Anyone just see that QB sack by UNC? Dude didn't have his helmet on and hit his nose on one of his Buds helmet. Looks like he left the field with a broken nose. :eek:

85sooners
12/30/2010, 09:03 PM
F that ref!!!!!

oumartin
12/30/2010, 09:05 PM
Anyone just see that QB sack by UNC? Dude didn't have his helmet on and hit his nose on one of his Buds helmet. Looks like he left the field with a broken nose. :eek:

yes, that sucker was bent outta whack! looked painful.

OUdavid you have no clue what you are talking about so shut it. That call was BS

THE-JROD
12/30/2010, 09:08 PM
Big big difference between getting excited after a big play...and makin sure everyone in the dayum nation pays attention to you!

Like I said, NFL takes to the extremes, college are celebration nazis.

to be completely honest, i just now saw the play. No, the official never should have called that, players get away with a hell of a lot more than that!

Exactly!

And how do you figure handing the ball to the official is being a robot? Its called discipline!

Players get excited by celebrating, whether it be by giving a high 5, jumping in the air and bumping, or pointing straight in the air, or in some cases saluting.

The saluting is probably the worst of all these celebration evils.

I guess we need to figure out if you like the players smiling after a touchdown or what you believe to be appropriate behavior of being excited is for a football player. I know in different sports, like basketball after a dunk a player screams. Would you find this inappropriate behavior?

There is nothing wrong with handing the ball to an official, but to suggest a player cannot celebrate and get excited is an introverted mentality.

The school i graduated from won their first State Championship this past year, and I couldnt have been anymore proud of those boys! There was NEVER a moment where they would try to draw attention to themselves after scoring or making a big play. Just sayin, you hardly ever see that anymore and its very disappointing!

Nobody is denying the discipline aspect, I believe you can be disciplined and get excited and show some form of celebration. I see a both/and aspect not an either/or.

and im not tryin to sit here and argue with you at all! I know that everyone is gonna have their own opinions and I respect that completely. I guess what im sayin is yes its ok to high five or possibly chest bump, but give the ball to the official. Show respect on the field. And yes, i do find it inappropriate when a basketball play screams when dunking it. Once again, this can go back to me and having an old school mentality, but if you dunk it then just go down back to your end of the court or wherever you need to be. It just doesnt seem that difficult to me. But once again, im not tryin to sit here and argue with you. I like hearing other opinions and giving mine!

jkjsooner
12/30/2010, 09:08 PM
We can thank Miami for these rules. I hate that the refs are so inconsistent but I have to admit that watching CFB is a lot more enjoyable than it was in the late '80s with all of the celebrations/antics going on. It did need to be cleaned up. They just went too far.

THE-JROD
12/30/2010, 09:10 PM

Yea and the dude just had a nose bleed and was laughin on the way off.

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 09:14 PM
and im not tryin to sit here and argue with you at all! I know that everyone is gonna have their own opinions and I respect that completely. I guess what im sayin is yes its ok to high five or possibly chest bump, but give the ball to the official. Show respect on the field. And yes, i do find it inappropriate when a basketball play screams when dunking it. Once again, this can go back to me and having an old school mentality, but if you dunk it then just go down back to your end of the court or wherever you need to be. It just doesnt seem that difficult to me. But once again, im not tryin to sit here and argue with you. I like hearing other opinions and giving mine!

I think Blake Griffin is disciplined and shows emotion by screaming when dunking ha ha!

I agree it is ok to disagree, no hard feelings here my friend! BTW I totally forgot to congraluate you on the success of your team! I don't care what level your playing, discipline is a must, so I agree with you there.

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 09:15 PM
We can thank Miami for these rules. I hate that the refs are so inconsistent but I have to admit that watching CFB is a lot more enjoyable than it was in the late '80s with all of the celebrations/antics going on. It did need to be cleaned up. They just went too far.

Agree, there needs to be a happy medium.

StoopTroup
12/30/2010, 09:27 PM
Yea and the dude just had a nose bleed and was laughin on the way off.
He was acting like his Mama could hit harder than that....LOL

jbstrick
12/30/2010, 09:37 PM
either call it all, or not at all.

^^^^ This.

It's the inconsistency that drives me crazy.

Al Gore
12/30/2010, 10:14 PM
I used to grab my crotch and shake it at old ladies when I scored a TD.
I do that now without scoring a TD...

achiro
12/30/2010, 10:34 PM
^^^^ This.

It's the inconsistency that drives me crazy.

This is the entire point!

MeMyself&Me
12/30/2010, 11:11 PM
Was watching earlier too and it ruined what was otherwise a really good game.

The thing is with these "between the whistle" penalties is that they are always going to involve some sort of subjectivity and that is the reason why it's always going to seem inconsistent... no matter how hard they try to make it consistent. What's more infuriating, is that these "between the whistle" penalties have absolutely nothing to do with football, only personal conduct.

If I were a ref, I would use the subjective nature of these "between the whistle" penalties and the fact that they have more to do with personal conduct than the game itself such that early in the game I would call things very tight to try to force the players to control themselves such that the game didn't get out of hand (get too chippy and whatnot). But when it came to late in the game where a flag I might thow might look to determine the game... let's just say it better be pretty damned flagrant before that flag came out of the pocket for something that had nothing to do with the game itself.

Leroy Lizard
12/30/2010, 11:32 PM
Or they can show no emotion and act like a bunch of introverts and hand the ball to the referee like a robot.

Watch the 71 OU/NU game sometime.

DominoMaximo
12/31/2010, 12:59 AM
Watch the 71 OU/NU game sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndB2i5V33cw
#12 John Harrison appears to be drawing attention to himself with the frantic jumping, this is a form of celebration.

:pop:

Joe
12/31/2010, 02:41 AM
Just saw on ESPN where one of the refs who threw the flag told the player "Wrong choice man." afterward. One of the refs did go over to him and started talking to him right after the play. Looks and sounds like the ref was pretty ****ing smug about it, probably got a power trip out of it.

Personally I only think excessive celebration should be when you taunt the other team or carry on, well, excessively. No split-second display is excessive.

Collier11
12/31/2010, 02:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndB2i5V33cw
#12 John Harrison appears to be drawing attention to himself with the frantic jumping, this is a form of celebration.

Oh dont mind him, Leroy lives in a world where everything he says must be true

CrimsonRez
12/31/2010, 02:50 AM
If I ever scored a touchdown for OU I would strip down to my skivvies and run around the field. Is that a penalty?

texaspokieokie
12/31/2010, 10:08 AM
my 2 cents

it didn't cost them the game, it made (much) more difficult to get a tie.

am i crazy, it seems these penalties are normally enforced on the following kick-off, not the extra point (or points) attempt ????

SoonerLB
12/31/2010, 10:19 AM
I saw in a replay where a Syracuse player raised both arms and gave some sort of sign to the crowd after scoring a TD, and no flag on him. This officiating crew deserves every bit of abuse they get IMO.

MeMyself&Me
12/31/2010, 10:20 AM
my 2 cents

it didn't cost them the game, it made (much) more difficult to get a tie.

am i crazy, it seems these penalties are normally enforced on the following kick-off, not the extra point (or points) attempt ????

I'm not saying it cost them the game, just that it ruined an otherwise great game. Calls like that in THAT situation need to be reserved for pretty damned flagrant infractions. When I watch that, I'm not even sure I'd say he was trying to draw attention to himself. A salute is a show of respect to someone else and in this case could be nothing more than a quick way of saying thank you to the crowd. I will say I can see how someone would say that he was drawing attention to himself and is why I can see how the flag was thrown but there's no way in hell I call that flagrant and the ref should have used better judgment on the subjective nature of that rule which has nothing to do with the game itself.

The poster that mentioned the ref getting some sort of power trip... he may be on to something. If that's the case, that ref should never be allowed to ref another game.

They are usually enforced on the kickoff but I think that's because the other team has a choice as to whether it's enforced on the kickoff or the conversion. Usually it serves the other team better to enforce it on the kickoff but not in this case where cuse knew that KSU had to go for two on the conversion.

bluedogok
12/31/2010, 10:21 AM
Personally I only think excessive celebration should be when you taunt the other team or carry on, well, excessively. No split-second display is excessive.
I think the 80's Miami era style of celebration and taunting should get a penalty, what they flag now as celebration penalties is an absolute joke. I am also one that prefers the Barry Sanders style after a TD but understand that many players are overly emotional twits and just have to "express themselves" even if they are getting their butts kicked and go all Johnny Jolly after every play. I remember the Rose Bowl game where one of Washington States players made a catch and got up in Teddy Lehman's face after the (non-TD) catch and Lehman cleaned his clock on the next play. I prefer it to be taken care of on the field by the players rather than some nincompoop in stripes throwing a flag.

texaspokieokie
12/31/2010, 10:25 AM
if his salute was a rules violation, it was the most mild one i've ever seen. (of the ones that have been flagged)

didn't know rules about enforcement.

texaspokieokie
12/31/2010, 10:28 AM
they can control their own celebrations; they just don't.

it takes almost no effort at all to show a little CLASS.

SoonerLB
12/31/2010, 10:29 AM
It would all be so simple if they just hand the ball to the ref and go to the sideline and celebrate with their team. Easily understood you would think.

MeMyself&Me
12/31/2010, 10:34 AM
Just read this story on the matter:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/36630/pinstripe-bowl-official-explains-salute-flag

The refs are quoting this rule as the reason for the flag:

Excessive celebration is rule 9-2-1d, which states a penalty is called for:
"Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player attempts to focus attention on himself (or themselves)."

I don't see anything delayed, excessive, prolonged, or choreographed in what happened. Do you? In the way that is written, it has to be one of those four things first by which you draw attention to yourself.

Using that rule, you have to make an awful stretch somewhere to throw that flag.

texaspokieokie
12/31/2010, 10:38 AM
i don't see anywhere that the player commiteed a foul.
not in that rule.

Sooners78
12/31/2010, 10:43 AM
That call should be reviewable. In that situation, Snyder should be able to throw the red flag, have the head referee do what's right, overturn the dumba$$ call, and let the game be decided on the field. Absolutely ridiculous! Anyone who defends that call is just trying to take the other side on this.

bluedogok
12/31/2010, 10:44 AM
Just read this story on the matter:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/36630/pinstripe-bowl-official-explains-salute-flag

The refs are quoting this rule as the reason for the flag:

I don't see anything delayed, excessive, prolonged, or choreographed in what happened. Do you? In the way that is written, it has to be one of those four things first by which you draw attention to yourself.

Using that rule, you have to make an awful stretch somewhere to throw that flag.
As a ref you throw that flag in that situation because you are looking for any reason to throw a flag.

bigfatjerk
12/31/2010, 10:46 AM
I think the only excessive celebration rules that need to be flagged are the ones that bring in teammates from the sidelines or the ones that take way too long. Any others should be just fine.

XingTheRubicon
12/31/2010, 11:00 AM
Football is a game of repetition and strict rules. Gap responsibility, ie don't overpursue even though you really naturally want to,..... don't hit the QB a half second late, even though you've fought like hell for 36 plays to get to him,........ don't move a muscle once you're set, even though the linebackers can dart toward the line and bark like rabid pit bulls,......and hand the ball to the f*cking ref if you happen to get into the endzone.

Okie35
12/31/2010, 11:41 AM
Football is a game of repetition and strict rules. Gap responsibility, ie don't overpursue even though you really naturally want to,..... don't hit the QB a half second late, even though you've fought like hell for 36 plays to get to him,........ don't move a muscle once you're set, even though the linebackers can dart toward the line and bark like rabid pit bulls,......and hand the ball to the f*cking ref if you happen to get into the endzone.

Yup football isn't fun anymore. I say call excessive celebrations if it lasts longer than 5 sec. He just saluted nothing more.

delhalew
12/31/2010, 12:00 PM

Because they are happy, proud of themselves and their team? As long as they aren't out there doing the moonwalk, who the hell cares.

Okie35
12/31/2010, 12:00 PM
Because they are happy, proud of themselves and there team? As long as they aren't out there doing the moonwalk, who the hell cares.

This is why I have a little more respect for baseball and hockey as far as officiating goes.

delhalew
12/31/2010, 12:07 PM
http://www.uhnd.com/blog/college-football/rule-doesnt-fun/

Starting in 2011, they will use this BS rule to negate touchdowns...that will be fun.

The NCAA decided to tackle taunting this off-season. So, starting in 2011, taunting penalties will become live ball penalties instead dead ball meaning that if a player is flagged for taunting enroute to the end zone, the touchdown would be called back and a 15 yard penalty would be assessed from the spot of foul.

delhalew
12/31/2010, 12:21 PM
Bump. I haven't heard anyone address this. ^^^^

SoonerLB
12/31/2010, 12:37 PM
If that's what it takes to pound the concept into the idjits heads, then so be it.

Collier11
12/31/2010, 12:38 PM
Just wait til the rule costs one of the big boy BCS ponies a game or there is taunting and it isnt called on one of the big teams, all hell will break loose. Its a horrible horrible idea for a Rule

jumperstop
Bump. I haven't heard anyone address this. ^^^^

Would this rule have changed anything in the Ksu game? It wasn't a taunt but a celebration. This would take away a td if the blackmon play had been flagged, but I think a celebration would still be the same. I think making such a subjective rule have a score riding on it is a stupid.

StoopTroup
http://www.uhnd.com/blog/college-football/rule-doesnt-fun/

Starting in 2011, they will use this BS rule to negate touchdowns...that will be fun.

I think that ought to do it. I think the ruling should state exactly what is expected of a player once he crosses the goal line with the ball. Should he drop it? Should he hand it to the Ref? If it comes out of his hands but is still a TD is it his responsibility to go pickup the ball and get it to the ref? Can they head to their own sidelines and high five each other?

Collier11
12/31/2010, 12:43 PM
If they whip it out and start whackin after a TD...is that taunting?

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 12:43 PM
Would this rule have changed anything in the Ksu game? It wasn't a taunt but a celebration. This would take away a td if the blackmon play had been flagged, but I think a celebration would still be the same. I think making such a subjective rule have a score riding on it is a stupid.

Good point on the Blackmon thing. After seeing one the the Eagles do this on ESPN this morning....it would seem he was self-promoting himself ready for the NFL and definitely trying to get attention to himself. In no way was it a celebration for his Team. It's obvious to me he'd leave stoolwater if the money is right this year. I don't think the NFL is as interested in him as ESPN and lil brother fans think they are though.

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 12:44 PM
If they whip it out and start whackin after a TD...is that taunting?

Exactly. The Ickey Shuffle Modified. :D

8f-m-Fmd1lY&playnext=1&list=PL3A0C0EF60FE94917&index=18

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 12:50 PM
BTW....the Ickey doesn't get prettier as he gets older....lol

WdhSiQcGEU4&list=PL3A0C0EF60FE94917&index=20&playnext=2

achiro
12/31/2010, 01:03 PM
I really don't have a big issue with the call. What I do have a huge problem with is that in the two other games I watched that day, the same thing happened and it wasn't called. It even happened earlier in that game without being called. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the player had been doing it all year without it being called.
That's the problem. They let the players get away with it until THEY decide that it's not ok.

Soonerman82
12/31/2010, 01:10 PM
The Boz was right about the NCAA.

SoonerMarkVA
12/31/2010, 01:16 PM
Just saw it on SC. That was total chicken crap. Those refs should be reprimanded.

jumperstop
12/31/2010, 01:38 PM
Last night the Tenn QB made a throat slicing gesture directly to the opposing team and didn't get anything, but a salute to the stands cost you 15 yards on the 2 point conversion. It's just dumb that one gets called and it's not the one I would have chosen to get called out of those two.

If the new rule where they take back the td was in place and it did come into effect after the Kstate guy scored, it might have acctually been better for them instead of giving them a 18 yard 2 point conversion it would have given them another shot at the td. I don't know what the down or yardage was when they scored, but next years rule, if it does include celebrations could have beifited kstate.

Collier11
12/31/2010, 01:41 PM
and as others have mentioned, i you get a sack or tackle for loss or some good def play you can act a fool

jumperstop
12/31/2010, 01:47 PM
and as others have mentioned, i you get a sack or tackle for loss or some good def play you can act a fool

Yeah they rarely call it on d players. And really most of the time they only call it on td's. How come the celebration penalties only come out on the td's? There is a lot of other times wear players celebrate. And I would say that most of the time D players when they celebrate, it's just taunting.

Jacie
12/31/2010, 01:51 PM
Postgame, Holtz and May were all over that call, pointing out that Tennessee players were doing it the entire game and were not called once for excessive celebration or drawing attention to themselves.

It was a lousy way to end a game that could have gone either way.

And in a show of class, Snyder said that he made the wrong call on the fake field goal and it shouldn't have come down to them needing a 2-point conversion.

texaspokieokie
12/31/2010, 05:05 PM
i've always thot of Snyder as a classy guy.

TheMind__Gap
12/31/2010, 10:01 PM
:confused:

He doesn't do the same thing every time. I see him calling "safe at home" alot. I thought it was a baseball thing?

edit; I dont remember him throwing up the diamond cutter, wouldn't surprise me if he has though.

Yes he does it every single time. He make the Rocca diamond sign and then breaks it and that kinda looks like safe I guess.

SoonerGrant
12/31/2010, 11:21 PM
The NCAA is a joke to me. For many reasons, not just this ****ty call.

Leroy Lizard
1/1/2011, 02:49 AM
Make the player sit out the next series as punishment instead. That way you can be as picky as you want. Best of all, it will cure the problem.

jumperstop
1/1/2011, 03:10 AM
Make the player sit out the next series as punishment instead. That way you can be as picky as you want. Best of all, it will cure the problem.

It would definitely stop all those "me" personality types.

Leroy Lizard
1/1/2011, 03:15 AM
It would definitely stop all those "me" personality types.

I would love it if the entire starting squad had to sit out a series, especially in overtime. What a great lesson that would send.

Winner?

oudavid1
1/1/2011, 04:49 AM
yes, that sucker was bent outta whack! looked painful.

OUdavid you have no clue what you are talking about so shut it. That call was BS

No clue? Didnt mean to waste everybody's time
It was call-a-ble. Not the right call in my opinion, but it was logical.

pappy
1/1/2011, 05:36 AM
I just wish the refs would be more consistent with their crappy celebration calls. If you're gonna call it on 1 guy call it every time regardless of who does it. Personally if I was reffing major college football (and I could I'm certified for football, basketball, baseball and softball) I would never throw a flag for excessive celebration unless their was obvious taunting involved.

bringit
1/1/2011, 11:21 AM
too many old white male conservatives making the rules. (in football too)

texas bandman
1/1/2011, 11:28 AM
too many old white male conservatives making the rules. (in football too)

They should let us old white liberals make the rules. :D

bigfatjerk
1/1/2011, 11:31 AM
They should let us old white liberals make the rules. :D

Have you seen congress over the past 2 years being run by old white liberals? They would run the NCAA into the ground. Which on second thought wouldn't be such a bad thing.

tulsaoilerfan
1/1/2011, 05:15 PM
Stupid call and a stupid rule; college is turning into the No Fun League

Jacie
1/1/2011, 06:48 PM
Saw plenty of after-the-play gestures in the games today.

A Florida player scored, dropped the ball and proceeded to do the gator bite to the fans in the endzone . . .

Mark Ingram scored, did a two-hand swipe under his chin and did two index fingers up, also towards the stands . . .

Another player made a great catch and jumped up doing a chest thump.

No flags, no calls were made . . .

pappy
1/1/2011, 07:02 PM
Saw plenty of after-the-play gestures in the games today.

A Florida player scored, dropped the ball and proceeded to do the gator bite to the fans in the endzone . . .

Mark Ingram scored, did a two-hand swipe under his chin and did two index fingers up, also towards the stands . . .

Another player made a great catch and jumped up doing a chest thump.

No flags, no calls were made . . .

And tonight demarco will score several tds and every time he does it he will do his diamond that he does and it won't be called either. And I'm fine with that. They need to quit calling excessive celebration penalties unless there is obvious taunting.

ruf/nekdad
1/1/2011, 07:06 PM
I would love it if the entire starting squad had to sit out a series, especially in overtime. What a great lesson that would send.

Winner?

Ding Ding

bluedogok
1/3/2011, 10:41 AM
I was in the kitchen prepping a pork tenderloin to put on the smoker today, I turned the TV on it was still on the channel from the Rams game last and the Regis and Kelly show was on. Regis started talking about the bowl games and started going off about the call in the K-State game and how ridiculous it was and commented how in other games there was much more celebration going on without getting called. I thought it was pretty humorous that a non-sports show is talking about how bad of a call that it was.

stoopified
1/3/2011, 02:10 PM
Rule is too vague

Sooner_Bob
1/3/2011, 02:33 PM
The rule is stupid. Unless you taunt another player I say celebrate all you want. Don't call it a personal foul if it takes too long, just flag them for delay of game.

I saw more celebrating after a sack than what the K-State receiver did . . . these players are young men who are excited about making a big play. Leave 'em alone and let 'em enjoy it/celebrate with their team mates.