PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Bowl Names

KantoSooner
12/30/2010, 09:39 AM
CNN just published this list of stupid bowl names. Personally I'm waiting for American Standard to sponsor a bowl.

Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl
Poulan Weed-Eater Independence Bowl
GoDaddy.com Bowl
Bacardi Bowl
Meineke Car Care Bowl
The uDrove Humanitarian Bowl
Salad Bowl
Little Caesars Pizza Bowl
Chick-fil-A Bowl
Olive Garden Bowl

mgsooner
12/30/2010, 09:43 AM
Are some of those real? There was a Bacardi Bowl? A Salad Bowl? An Olive Garden Bowl? I don't remember those.

oumartin
12/30/2010, 10:16 AM
They are all pretty dumb names anymore. Now, the godaddy.com bowl could be rewarding if you got to pull a train on Danica if you won the game

Lawton4Life
12/30/2010, 10:20 AM
There was a Salad Bowl in the 50s or 60s maybe..I certainly dont recall a Bacardi Bowl

rekamrettuB
12/30/2010, 10:20 AM
How did papajohns.com bowl not make that list?

Let me tell you the one I'm disappointed in the most...The Discover Orange Bowl!!! I hate this corporate sponsor BS but at least it had been the FedEx Orange Bowl for as long as I can remember. I absolutely love what the Rose Bowl does and every other bowl should have done the same. And to all the bowls that completely dropped their bowl name...YA I'M LOOKING AT YOU PEACH BOWL...you can all go jump in a lake.

Lawton4Life
12/30/2010, 10:26 AM
The Rose Bowl is no better than anyone else anylonger...its the Rose Bowl presented by Citi....before that it was at&t and sony playstation. The caved in 99.

The Orange Bowl changed because Fed Ex had enough losing money.

Remember when it was the USF&G Sugar Bowl?

It's been so long I forgot the Capitol One Bowl was the Citrus/Tangerine Bowl.

We can blame the Sun Bowl...I saw a deal that said they were the first bowl to get sponsered in 1986 by ol Johnny Hancock.

rekamrettuB
12/30/2010, 10:34 AM
The Rose Bowl is no better than anyone else anylonger...its the Rose Bowl presented by Citi....before that it was at&t and sony playstation. The caved in 99.

The Orange Bowl changed because Fed Ex had enough losing money.

Remember when it was the USF&G Sugar Bowl?

It's been so long I forgot the Capitol One Bowl was the Citrus/Tangerine Bowl.

We can blame the Sun Bowl...I saw a deal that said they were the first bowl to get sponsered in 1986 by ol Johnny Hancock.

Ya but it's still "The Rose Bowl" first and foremost. It's not (insert corporate sponsor)Orange Bowl.

Yes...I do recall the USF&G and for the longest time growing up I figured the S stood for Sugar and they were a Sugar company. Something like United Sugar Factory and Group or something.

Lawton4Life
12/30/2010, 10:40 AM
Ya but it's still "The Rose Bowl" first and foremost. It's not (insert corporate sponsor)Orange Bowl.

Yes...I do recall the USF&G and for the longest time growing up I figured the S stood for Sugar and they were a Sugar company. Something like United Sugar Factory and Group or something.

I thought the same thing when I was little, turns out they were/are an insurance company!

rekamrettuB
12/30/2010, 10:42 AM
I thought the same thing when I was little, turns out they were/are an insurance company!

Ya I was shocked...and a bit disappointed to find out these bowl games were all about the Benjis.

Lawton4Life
12/30/2010, 10:43 AM
And I do agree it should be the Bowl Name then the Sponsor and should NEVER just be the name of the sponsor..that is lamey mclamerson.

KantoSooner
12/30/2010, 10:48 AM
Are some of those real? There was a Bacardi Bowl? A Salad Bowl? An Olive Garden Bowl? I don't remember those.

<Speaking in the Peter Jennings style vacuous baritone>
"I just report this stuff."

And actually 'Bacardi Bowl' is kind of cool.

hgarmorer
12/30/2010, 12:16 PM
Beef 'O' Bradys has some damn good wings though. Stupid name for a bowl, but good food

DrZaius
12/30/2010, 12:21 PM
Wow! I did not know there was a Barcadi Bowl. I thought I had exclusive rights to that moniker every other weekend at the house.

Sooner Among The Pack
12/30/2010, 01:09 PM
Mattress Mack in Houston would be mad to know that the GalleryFurniture.com bowl isn't listed here.

Leroy Lizard
12/30/2010, 01:18 PM
From Wiki:

Bacardi Bowl was a college football bowl game played seven times in Havana, Cuba at La Tropical Stadium.[1] Sometimes referred to as the Rhumba Bowl or the Cigar Bowl, the game was the climaxing event of Cuba’s annual National Sports Festival. The first five occurrences matched an American college team (all from the Deep South) against Cuban universities or athletic clubs.

I don't think Bacardi Bowl was an official name based on this.

proudsoonergal
12/30/2010, 01:45 PM
Weiser (sp?) Lock Copper Bowl was pretty classic. Incidentally, that was the only bowl OU made during my time in school there.

mgsooner
12/30/2010, 02:01 PM
The Sofa King Bowl

Jacie
12/30/2010, 02:41 PM
The Independence Bowl sponsor, AdvoCare 100.

Would the ratings have suffered if they had called it what it really is, the Amway Independence Bowl?