PDA

View Full Version : FBS FCS

Mazeppa
12/29/2010, 08:30 PM
Who came up with this and why? What was wrong with the way it was for like a hundred years or so.

StoopTroup
12/29/2010, 08:32 PM
:gary:

Mazeppa
12/29/2010, 09:03 PM
ahhhhhhhh!

agoo758
12/29/2010, 09:04 PM
Hmmmm, I am assuming that you are asking why they changaed the names of each leagues, in case you are, I still call the divisions 1A and 1AA. I could not even tell you what the new official names are.

Mazeppa
12/29/2010, 09:08 PM
Hmmmm, I am assuming that you are asking why they changaed the names of each leagues, in case you are, I still call the divisions 1A and 1AA. I could not even tell you what the new official names are.

yes I am/was

goingoneight
12/29/2010, 10:02 PM
Why is there even a 1A and a 1AA? It's either CFB people care about, or... it's not. :cool:

agoo758
12/29/2010, 10:08 PM
Why is there even a 1A and a 1AA? It's either CFB people care about, or... it's not. :cool:

Have you not seen my William and Mary jersey?:pop:

yermom
12/29/2010, 10:09 PM
probably a subtle hint from the NCAA that they want a playoff ;)

Football Bowl Subdivision

Football Championship Subdivision

rekamrettuB
12/29/2010, 10:23 PM
The same jerkstores that named the Big X divisions.

swardboy
12/29/2010, 10:47 PM
FIRE VENABLES!

fadada1
12/29/2010, 10:56 PM
The same jerkstores that named the Big X divisions.

legends and leaders was uber cool. i think every conference should so something as witty as this. maybe when the big whateverwearenow conference re-aligns we can consult someone from norman's best 4th grade class to invent similar divisional names.

;)

bluedogok
12/29/2010, 11:02 PM
Why is there even a 1A and a 1AA?
Number of scholarship differences....
D1-AA gives out fewer scholarships.

Scholarship Limits
Division I-A/FBS: 85 full, max 25 per year
Division I-AA/FCS: 63 full
Division II: 36 full
Division III: None

Jason
12/29/2010, 11:07 PM
NCAA affiliated schools have to enter all of their teams within a Division (1, 2 or 3). You can't have some of your teams in Division 1, and some in Division 2, for example.

So, the 1AA subdivision was created for Division 1 schools, whose football teams couldn't compete at the Division 1 level. (i.e. all their sports were Division 1, except football was more like Division 2). Thus, they entered their football program in 1AA, instead of 1A; while the rest of their sports were Division 1. Part of the decision is also based on stadium size, capacity, etc.

I hope that makes sense.

TheLadiesMike
12/30/2010, 01:44 AM
It was probably a PC thing to say neither is better or worse than the other.

Frozen Sooner
12/30/2010, 01:54 AM
NCAA affiliated schools have to enter all of their teams within a Division (1, 2 or 3). You can't have some of your teams in Division 1, and some in Division 2, for example.

So, the 1AA subdivision was created for Division 1 schools, whose football teams couldn't compete at the Division 1 level. (i.e. all their sports were Division 1, except football was more like Division 2). Thus, they entered their football program in 1AA, instead of 1A; while the rest of their sports were Division 1. Part of the decision is also based on stadium size, capacity, etc.

I hope that makes sense.

This isn't correct.

UAA and UAF both compete in D2 basketball and D1 hockey.

OU_Sooners75
12/30/2010, 04:07 AM
This isn't correct.

Isn't there only 1 division for hockey though?

Jason
12/30/2010, 10:07 AM
This isn't correct.

Because there is only D1 or D3 hockey; so they get an exemption to the rule. Besides, the subdivisions were created for football only, due to the high costs associated with the sport.

jkjsooner
12/30/2010, 10:34 AM

So, the 1AA subdivision was created for Division 1 schools, whose football teams couldn't compete at the Division 1 level.

This is only partially true. Division 1AA was not created for this purpose. Division 1AA was created in 1978. It wasn't until 1992 that a rule was passed that division 1 schools must play football in 1A or 1AA.

For example, Georgetown was division 3 in football until 1993 when they joined 1AA. Obviously, anyone who follows college basketball would know that they have been in Division 1 for a long time.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/hist09.htm

Jason
12/30/2010, 10:35 AM
This is only partially true. Division 1AA was not created for this purpose. Division 1AA was created in 1978. It wasn't until 1992 that a rule was passed that division 1 schools must play football in 1A or 1AA.

For example, Georgetown didn't join 1AA in football until 1993. Obviously, anyone who follows college basketball would know that they have been in Division 1 for a long time.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/hist09.htm
Thanks for clarifying further. :)

bluedogok
12/30/2010, 10:29 PM
Because there is only D1 or D3 hockey; so they get an exemption to the rule. Besides, the subdivisions were created for football only, due to the high costs associated with the sport.
Basically it comes down to two divisions, one for scholarship hockey and one for non-scholarship hockey. Mainly because there are too few teams fielding NCAA hockey teams to divide it up further. The fact that many schools play club level ACHA college hockey like the OU hockey team and not NCAA hockey contributes to the fact there aren't enough teams divide the NCAA divisions up along their respective divisions like other sports.

Jason
12/30/2010, 10:31 PM
Basically it comes down to two divisions, one for scholarship hockey and one for non-scholarship hockey. Mainly because there are too few teams fielding NCAA hockey teams to divide it up further. The fact that many schools play club level ACHA college hockey like the OU hockey team and not NCAA hockey contributes to the fact there aren't enough teams divide the NCAA divisions up along their respective divisions like other sports.
Yes, that's true.