12/29/2010, 07:23 PM
F*ck the Big 10

OhU1
So far anyway.

OU 23 Nebraska 20 :rolleyes:

sooner ngintunr
This year that would not be a stretch at all.

Bowl games don't rep conferences though IMO.

Okie35
12/29/2010, 07:24 PM
OU 23 Nebraska 20 :rolleyes:

Lol true

This year that would not be a stretch at all.

Bowl games don't rep conferences though IMO.

They don't at all.

VA Sooner
12/29/2010, 07:43 PM
Big 12 hasn't looked good so far. Mizzou came close but both INTs by Gabbert were bad choices... outplayed Iowa in every facet of the game... except for turnovers.

That last INT will haunt him until the start of next season.

CBUS_SOONER
12/29/2010, 07:44 PM
All my friends that represent tattoo U are chirping... My phone is blowing up with text messages. Like I give a Sh!t about Baylor.

OUthunder
12/29/2010, 07:50 PM
Baylor still sucks.

colinreturn
12/29/2010, 07:53 PM
They don't at all.

I have heard people say this before but I don't usually catch why they think this. Care to explain?

soonercastor
12/29/2010, 07:53 PM
you guys think its a coincidence, go ahead. But as long as we're in a sh*t conference it's going to show in the bowl games especially the NCG.

sooner59
12/29/2010, 07:55 PM
It's Baylor. They are like Indiana.

CBUS_SOONER
12/29/2010, 07:57 PM
you guys think its a coincidence, go ahead. But as long as we're in a sh*t conference it's going to show in the bowl games especially the NCG.

What do you suggest we do

Okie35
12/29/2010, 07:58 PM

I don't care about the conference.

sooner518
12/29/2010, 07:59 PM
I have heard people say this before but I don't usually catch why they think this. Care to explain?

in many cases, its not representative, since many times, a team that finished 6th in conference A will play team B that finished 2nd in their conference.

of course, in the case of Baylor ****ting the bed at the moment, this is irrelevant since Baylor has a better record than Illinois.

cccasooner2
Just goes to sho ya', the Golden Gophers were playing some of the best football in the B10-B12 the last two games of the regular season. :)

Okie35
What do you suggest we do

Over throw the commissioner :gary:

CBUS_SOONER
12/29/2010, 08:00 PM
plus after 30+ days off doesn't help

CowboyMRW
12/29/2010, 08:02 PM
Plus bowl games are all about matchups. Either you match up well with them or not. You gotta get lucky with the draw

soonercastor
12/29/2010, 08:03 PM
I don't care about the conference.

well you should, your conference prepares you for championship games.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less about how the other teams perform in their bowl games. You won't see me cheer for any of them, however how they perform tells a story.

Okie35
12/29/2010, 08:03 PM
Plus bowl games are all about matchups. Either you match up well with them or not. You gotta get lucky with the draw

Pretty much.

OUthunder
12/29/2010, 08:04 PM
Nice to see that Baylor decided not to show up for there bowl game. Geez. I picked that one wrong.

Note to self...NEVER pick Baylor!

BigRed47
12/29/2010, 08:06 PM
Illinois at best is a mediocre team and they are flat out embarassing Baylor and the Big12. Maybe OUr conference is not very strong and maybe OU is going to have a tough time with UConn. Both Mizzou and Baylor were favored in Vegas. I had Baylor with 27 confidence points in my Bowl pics. I saw Illinois during the year and they stunk.

Okie35
12/29/2010, 08:08 PM
Illinois at best is a mediocre team and they are flat out embarassing Baylor and the Big12. Maybe OUr conference is not very strong and maybe OU is going to have a tough time with UConn. Both Mizzou and Baylor were favored in Vegas. I had Baylor with 27 confidence points in my Bowl pics. I saw Illinois during the year and they stunk.

The games Illinois lost they barely lost.

OUthunder
12/29/2010, 08:08 PM
Baylor peaked in the middle of the season. A&M stole there mojo.

sooner518
12/29/2010, 08:10 PM
Baylor picks up a couple first downs and Illinois starts up with the fake injuries.

I mean, cramps....

oh hey! look! he's back in! good to see he wasnt really hurt

ouwasp
12/29/2010, 08:17 PM
Did that announcer really just say 60,000 Baylor fans? I turned on the closed caption, rewound it on the dvr, thinking surely he said "16,000"...

The cc said "60,000... :rolleyes: That's impossible.

Okie35
12/29/2010, 08:19 PM
Did that announcer really just say 60,000 Baylor fans? I turned on the closed caption, rewound it on the dvr, thinking surely he said "16,000"...

The cc said "60,000... :rolleyes: That's impossible.

Yea I was shocked when I heard it too.

ELP Sooner
12/29/2010, 08:19 PM
This ***New*** Big 12 is the old SWC with a bigger geographical footprint. I hope this league dies soon and OU ends up in something more respectable.

BigRed47
12/29/2010, 08:23 PM
The games Illinois lost they barely lost.

Yes, they had 3 losses by 4 points or less. Their other 3 losses were by 10 or more. The three losses were to those unranked national powerhouses Michigan 67-65, Minnesota 38-34 and Fresno State 25-23.

mdklatt
12/29/2010, 08:31 PM

If there are 60,000 fans of any kind at that game, then that stadium holds at least 90,000 people....

SoonerShay
12/29/2010, 09:04 PM

So how Baylor and Mizzou perform against BIG10 schools means we will struggle with a BIGEAST school? Where is the correlation exactly?

Blaine Gabbert set a career passing mark against Iowa and they had over 500 yards of offense.

Baylor has the 2nd worse defense in the BIG12, only KU was worse. The Illini were the 3rd best rushing offense in the BIG10 averaging over 240 yards rushing per game. That's only 5 less per game than Wisconsin.
Baylor and Illinois really only have a 1 game difference between them.
Baylor ended the season giving up 50 points per game.

By the way the BIGEAST has played a bowl game already. WVU, who was tied for 1st in the BIGEAST, got beat by NCSTATE.

rekamrettuB
12/29/2010, 09:44 PM

Mizzu was 3 points and Baylor was 1 and went to Illy -1 by kick. These weren't huge upsets by any stretch.

Teams that have good running games will benefit during these ball games over the all out spreads like Mizzu and Baylor.

MyT Oklahoma
12/29/2010, 10:11 PM
OMG.. we're doomed I tell 'ya.. we're doomed!

Okie35
12/29/2010, 10:16 PM
So how Baylor and Mizzou perform against BIG10 schools means we will struggle with a BIGEAST school? Where is the correlation exactly?

Blaine Gabbert set a career passing mark against Iowa and they had over 500 yards of offense.

Baylor has the 2nd worse defense in the BIG12, only KU was worse. The Illini were the 3rd best rushing offense in the BIG10 averaging over 240 yards rushing per game. That's only 5 less per game than Wisconsin.
Baylor and Illinois really only have a 1 game difference between them.
Baylor ended the season giving up 50 points per game.

By the way the BIGEAST has played a bowl game already. WVU, who was tied for 1st in the BIGEAST, got beat by NCSTATE.

WVU also was also 3rd in the nation in total defense and got worked.

Veritas
12/29/2010, 10:26 PM
Over throw the commissioner :gary:
This guy is one of my faves on twitter:
http://twitter.com/danbeebe

Soonermagik
12/29/2010, 10:31 PM
I'm not a conference guy. If OU were to go win the national title and every other Big 12 team lose their bowl game.. who cares what other teams did??

OUEngr1990
12/29/2010, 10:34 PM
I'm not a conference guy. If OU were to go win the national title and every other Big 12 team lose their bowl game.. who cares what other teams did??

I agree, but it doesn't give you a "feel good" when all the other big 12 teams (that we otherwise thought were good teams) are stinking it up against at best mediocre teams.

Okie35
12/29/2010, 10:37 PM

This Insight Bowl is a real eye-opener. We can't have teams with similar pants on the same field in the future. #Big12MovingForward

This killed me lol

soonercastor
12/29/2010, 10:40 PM
I doubt anybody tied this to OU losing or even struggling against UCONN. But the point is if all those teams are losing in their bowl games then we likely wouldn't be winning a NCG.

Veritas
12/29/2010, 10:41 PM
This killed me lol
This one made me choke on my soda:

I kind of want to get me, Matt Millen, Lou Holtz and Mark May in the same room just to sit and talk. #GENIUSOVERLOAD

Dio
12/29/2010, 10:42 PM

I might get on the Twitter just to follow this guy.

soonercastor
12/29/2010, 10:43 PM
This killed me lol

haha that's hilarious

DominoMaximo
12/29/2010, 10:43 PM
I am under the opinion that bowl victories does not indicate how good a conference is. THE PAC-10 went 5-0 a few years ago, and I don't think major opinion was that the PAC-10 was the best conference.

It is 1 game between 2 teams after about 20 to 40 days of not playing football. They are fun to watch and listen to people debate about this kind of stuff, but I think the work of what a team does during the regular season is more of an indicator.

I personally look at how many teams within a conference finish in the top 25 to indicate how good a conference is... not 1 game. Otherwise you sound like SEC fans chanting SEC when their team wins 1 game during bowl season.

Veritas
12/29/2010, 10:44 PM
This one is great too:

The Insight Bowl is tonight. Does anyone remember if Missouri left the Big XII or not?

Soonermagik
12/29/2010, 10:44 PM
I agree, but it doesn't give you a "feel good" when all the other big 12 teams (that we otherwise thought were good teams) are stinking it up against at best mediocre teams.

Honestly, I prefer it. We recruit against some of these teams for kids. When you can say we are winning big games and they aren't it doesn't hurt. These recruits are ultra competitive and want to win and be seen in big games.

This is why it's crucial for OU to win the Fiesta Bowl this year. All I care about is what OU is doing.

DominoMaximo
12/29/2010, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by OUEngr1990

No because it is one game, those mediocre teams did not do so well in the regular season and will still finish behind the team they probably beat in a bowl game.

soonercastor
12/29/2010, 10:53 PM
I personally look at how many teams within a conference finish in the top 25 to indicate how good a conference is... not 1 game. Otherwise you sound like SEC fans chanting SEC when their team wins 1 game during bowl season.

That's not much of an indicator since ~75% of the games teams play are conference games

DominoMaximo
12/29/2010, 11:05 PM
That's not much of an indicator since ~75% of the games teams play are conference games

Ok, in your opinion what is a good indicator?

MI Sooner
12/30/2010, 09:04 AM

Computer rankings. Bowl games, taken individually, are tough to generalize from, due to the layoffs, matchup problems etc. But other OOC games are early in the year, so those are tough to generalize from too. The fact is, bowl games represent a large portion of the season's OOC games w/ other BCS conferences. 3-4 may not be much different than 4-3, but if the BXII goes 0-3 versus the Big 10 in games in which we never played down (matchups were #4-4, #7-7, and #6-8, imo), you'd better start gettting ready to argue if you want to say the BXII is better. It may not matter directly to OU, but in years when we're fighting for a higher BCS ranking with teams from other conferences, it'll matter.

If Texas doesn't turn it around quick, we're likely to be viewed like an undefeated BE or ACC champ would be now. We'd get in over one-loss teams and non-AQ teams, but Ohio St. and LSU better not be undefeated.

soonercastor
12/30/2010, 12:24 PM

OOC and bowl games. Obviously you cant use games within a conference to comapre it to other conferences.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/30/2010, 12:51 PM
don't need the bowl season to show this conference wasn't that strong this year

sooner59
12/30/2010, 01:22 PM
Hey, did everybody in the Big 12 South make a bowl game this year? I think so, right? That must be some kind of a record. :D

proudsoonergal
12/30/2010, 01:55 PM
Hey, did everybody in the Big 12 South make a bowl game this year? I think so, right? That must be some kind of a record. :D

Haha. Almost ... they should have been 9-3. :D

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 05:30 PM
OOC and bowl games. Obviously you cant use games within a conference to comapre it to other conferences.

I have no problem with that if you use the OOC games as well, but in my honest opinion (this is not because OU has not faired well in the BCS Bowl games either, I would feel the same way) Bowl games are not a great indicator of how well a conference is, especially when the PAC-10 went 5-0 a couple of years ago. I think too often bowl season is used to compare conferences. It is simply not a good indicator.

I agree 75% of your games are played in conference, but I also don't believe that one game during bowl season is a good indicator of how good or bad a conference is. The entire body of work should be taken into consideration, and that is why I look at rankings at the end of bowl season.

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 05:34 PM
Computer rankings. Bowl games, taken individually, are tough to generalize from, due to the layoffs, matchup problems etc. But other OOC games are early in the year, so those are tough to generalize from too. The fact is, bowl games represent a large portion of the season's OOC games w/ other BCS conferences. 3-4 may not be much different than 4-3, but if the BXII goes 0-3 versus the Big 10 in games in which we never played down (matchups were #4-4, #7-7, and #6-8, imo), you'd better start gettting ready to argue if you want to say the BXII is better. It may not matter directly to OU, but in years when we're fighting for a higher BCS ranking with teams from other conferences, it'll matter.

If Texas doesn't turn it around quick, we're likely to be viewed like an undefeated BE or ACC champ would be now. We'd get in over one-loss teams and non-AQ teams, but Ohio St. and LSU better not be undefeated.

I agree with this post. In my opinion the BIG XII is the 3rd best conference this year. I think the BIG 10 is probably better with Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan State leading the way in the top rankings.

I guess I was a little irked that people are comparing conferences merely because of the head to head match up between Mizzou and Iowa and Baylor and Illinois. Those are merely 2 games, and if these teams played 10 times, I would almost guarantee that mizzou would beat Iowa 7 out of 10 and Baylor.... well they are still Baylor, I might give Illinois the shut out.

rekamrettuB
12/30/2010, 05:48 PM
About the only thing I know for sure from watching these bowl games is the most of the Wide Receivers suffer from the dropsies during bowl season.

King Barry's Back
12/30/2010, 05:53 PM
This ***New*** Big 12 is the old SWC with a bigger geographical footprint. I hope this league dies soon and OU ends up in something more respectable.

I'm afraid the big deal with the Pac-10 was our shot. Who knows if something like that is ever going to come along again? But, heck, who ever thought it was going to be coming along when it did?

King Barry's Back
12/30/2010, 06:01 PM

No, you are right on, but the other side of the issue is more long-term.

IF we keep winning a weak conference, that conference keeps confirming its weakness by losing bowl games, and if we keep choking in BCS bowls -- then the voters might decide to keep us out of some future BCS Championship games due to our perceived weakness.

I don't really care if other conference rivals win or lose their bowl games, per se, but I do like to see Big XII teams consistently winning against other conferences for the reason listed above.

Big XII weakness would eventually cost us national championships, and that's all we care about, really.

King Barry's Back
12/30/2010, 06:06 PM

Yeah, and the three or four non-conf games they play are usually just a line up patsies/guaranteed wins.

Bowl Games have a lot of weaknesses as indicators of relative conference strength, but so many teams nowadays avoid the old inter-sectional matchups (OU excepted) that its about all we've got left.

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 06:06 PM
I guess if KSU loses to Syracuse than the BIG East is better than the BIG XII?

King Barry's Back
12/30/2010, 06:13 PM

Yeah, that's the nightmare scenario -- TX continues to suck and the rest of the conference stays mediocre, meaning OU as perennial Big XII champ is seen as some kind of second-tier contender (Big East is a good example.)

1. OU can mitigate this by continuing to schedule to schedule top-notch OOC match-ups year-in and year-out. And maybe even scheduling up, although you never know how good a future opponent will really be.

2. The Big XII as a whole won't stay mediocre forever. When OU football fell of the map in the 1990s, it gave the other conference rivals breathing room to rise on their own -- and we saw KSU in the top-10 and Nebraska finally winning it all. If TX actually stays down, somebody like aTm will take a share of the recruits and take a step up in quality. My biggest qualm with this scenario is that right now it looks like oSu would be the team poised to take advantage.

King Barry's Back
12/30/2010, 06:15 PM
I guess if KSU loses to Syracuse than the BIG East is better than the BIG XII?

LOL. But if the Cuse wins, AND UCONN wins, you'd probably hear this argument. And if their 4-loss, 3-way tied co-champ beats the Big XII's best, really who can say they are wrong?

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 06:21 PM
LOL. But if the Cuse wins, AND UCONN wins, you'd probably hear this argument. And if their 4-loss, 3-way tied co-champ beats the Big XII's best, really who can say they are wrong?

I guess when Boise State beat OU, the WAC had a better conference than the BIG XII.

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah, that's the nightmare scenario -- TX continues to suck and the rest of the conference stays mediocre, meaning OU as perennial Big XII champ is seen as some kind of second-tier contender (Big East is a good example.)

1. OU can mitigate this by continuing to schedule to schedule top-notch OOC match-ups year-in and year-out. And maybe even scheduling up, although you never know how good a future opponent will really be.

2. The Big XII as a whole won't stay mediocre forever. When OU football fell of the map in the 1990s, it gave the other conference rivals breathing room to rise on their own -- and we saw KSU in the top-10 and Nebraska finally winning it all. If TX actually stays down, somebody like aTm will take a share of the recruits and take a step up in quality. My biggest qualm with this scenario is that right now it looks like oSu would be the team poised to take advantage.

Great post!

Sooner98
12/30/2010, 06:30 PM
Good grief, the Big 12 absolutely blows goats. Glad we managed to win this mid-major conference, but I now put our chances of beating UCONN at 55%.

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 06:41 PM
Good grief, the Big 12 absolutely blows goats. Glad we managed to win this mid-major conference, but I now put our chances of beating UCONN at 55%.

Because Syracuse beat KSU? ha ha

I am telling you, you people are putting too much stock in these bowl games. It was one game that KSU could have very easily one if the a KSU player does not salute the crowd.

sooner ngintunr
12/30/2010, 06:54 PM
we're doomed

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 06:56 PM
we're doomed

Just don't salute! Wait doesn't Demarco do the OU sign after he scores?

sooner ngintunr
12/30/2010, 07:07 PM
Just don't salute! Wait doesn't Demarco do the OU sign after he scores?

That guy from UNC just did way more **** than a salute. nothing. objective celebration rules suck balls.

I cant explain what Murray does, most of the time he does that thing kind of like when an Ump signals safe on a base runner.

DominoMaximo
12/30/2010, 07:16 PM
That guy from UNC just did way more **** than a salute. nothing. objective celebration rules suck balls.

I cant explain what Murray does, most of the time he does that thing kind of like when an Ump signals safe on a base runner.

I think it is a quick OU and at the end of the U he spreads it.

sooner ngintunr
12/30/2010, 07:48 PM
I think it is a quick OU and at the end of the U he spreads it.

nice. Never really got it. I'm always too busy high fiving, slapping hands, and giving hugs to notice the celebration.:D I always thought he was signaling himself safe at home. The end zone being home since he spends so much time there.:D

scomo
12/30/2010, 09:48 PM
I'm going to the game Saturday and I'm a little bit worried after the Big 12 showing thus far. Maybe K-State got robbed, but they were also trying to come back against the #4 Big East team.

If Landry can keep his head on straight we should be ok...

Because Syracuse beat KSU? ha ha

I am telling you, you people are putting too much stock in these bowl games. It was one game that KSU could have very easily one if the a KSU player does not salute the crowd.

Collier11
12/30/2010, 09:50 PM
If OU had played Illinois or Iowa we would be 2-0, all that means is that they had better matchups in those games

5noubus
12/30/2010, 10:22 PM
Where will the refs be from that will be working the fiesta bowl?

mdklatt
12/31/2010, 01:38 AM
Does Nebraska count against the Big 10 or the Big 12 now? :pop:

AlboSooner
12/31/2010, 01:39 AM
Where will the refs be from that will be working the fiesta bowl?

pac 10

Football Jim
12/31/2010, 02:51 AM
unfortunately the losers who eat bugs gave the Big XII another loss.
BUT looking on the bright side, their loss in next years bowl, if they make it to a bowl, will be on the big 10.

I am so happy those whiners are heading to the cold rust belt.