PDA

View Full Version : How to replace the bowl system with an even better bowl system

Dwight
12/29/2010, 05:15 PM
The BCS bowl system is just a few changes away from being perfect.

1.) There only needs to be 15 bowl games total (10 minor bowls, 4 BCS bowls, National championship).

2.) Every top 25 team gets an invite, the remaining 5 are conference champs that are not in the top 25. If there are 6 unranked champs with 5 slots remaining, too bad. If all conference champs are ranked, then select the next best teams.

3.)There are to be NO, I repeat, NO conference tie-ins to ANY bowl game. A conference can have 12 bowl teams or 0 bowl teams. Teams from the same conference are allowed to play in the same bowl game.

4.) The National Championship will be between the #1 and #2 ranked team. Every top 10 team goes to a BCS bowl. The remaining bowls will consist of match ups between the next 2 ranked teams (Orange Bowl- #3 vs #4, Rose Bowl #5 vs #6, Sugar Bowl #7 vs #8……). No exceptions.

5.) The 4 BCS bowls rotate between the selected match-ups. (2010- Orange Bowl: #3 vs #4, 2011- Orange Bowl: #5 vs #6 etc…..)

6.) ALL BCS bowls are to be played on January 1st. (Orange 10:30am CT, Sugar 2pm, Fiesta 5:30pm, Rose 8:30pm) The National Championship is to be played on the following Saturday.

7.) The minor bowls are to be played on Dec. 29-31.

8.) Boise State is NOT ALLOWED to play in the NC.

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2010, 05:19 PM
:gary:

reddfoxx
12/29/2010, 05:23 PM
You are trying to apply logic to post-season college football.

1. It'll never work.

2. Why change? What we have now is great.

3. Controversy is great for college football.

4. Every team should go to a bowl, that way no coaches will ever be fired and the boosters would all be happy.

ashley
12/29/2010, 05:24 PM

1.) There only needs to be 15 bowl games total (10 minor bowls, 4 BCS bowls, National championship).

2.) Every top 25 team gets an invite, the remaining 5 are conference champs that are not in the top 25. If there are 6 unranked champs with 5 slots remaining, too bad. If all conference champs are ranked, then select the next best teams.

3.)There are to be NO, I repeat, NO conference tie-ins to ANY bowl game. A conference can have 12 bowl teams or 0 bowl teams. Teams from the same conference are allowed to play in the same bowl game.

4.) The National Championship will be between the #1 and #2 ranked team. Every top 10 team goes to a BCS bowl. The remaining bowls will consist of match ups between the next 2 ranked teams (Orange Bowl- #3 vs #4, Rose Bowl #5 vs #6, Sugar Bowl #7 vs #8……). No exceptions.

5.) The 4 BCS bowls rotate between the selected match-ups. (2010- Orange Bowl: #3 vs #4, 2011- Orange Bowl: #5 vs #6 etc…..)

6.) ALL BCS bowls are to be played on January 1st. (Orange 10:30am CT, Sugar 2pm, Fiesta 5:30pm, Rose 8:30pm) The National Championship is to be played on the following Saturday.

Tell it to the university presidents.

SoonerLB
12/29/2010, 05:25 PM
Playoffs, like it should be!

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2010, 05:27 PM
Tell it to the university presidents.

Reality rears its ugly head.

Jello Biafra
Playoffs, like it should be!

yup...

ive watched 3 bowl games this year. if its not interesting, its not interesting.

oudavid1
No playoffs, everything is fine.

NOT SARCASM.

Dwight
You are trying to apply logic to post-season college football.

1. It'll never work.

2. Why change? What we have now is great.

3. Controversy is great for college football.

4. Every team should go to a bowl, that way no coaches will ever be fired and the boosters would all be happy.

It's great, except for the fact that there are 35 bowl games and conference tie-ins. UCONN has no business being in the Fiesta Bowl, but Michigan State does.

bigfatjerk
12/29/2010, 05:29 PM
I think 20 bowls is fine. 20 bowls was the number we had till the mid 90s and it was a fun system. All the bowls were around the same time. I think the biggest change we need is to take some of these bowls from being in January. Who cares about Pitt vs Kentucky?

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2010, 05:31 PM
It's great, except for the fact that there are 35 bowl games and conference tie-ins. UCONN has no business being in the Fiesta Bowl, but Michigan State does.

If it comes about, a playoff will almost certainly have conference tie-ins. There is no way that the major powers agree to a playoff without them.

So if this was a playoff year, UConn would be one of eight (or 16) teams playing for a national title. And all those playoff proponents will be pissed and wondering what went wrong.

reality =/= desire

madillsoonerfan5353
12/29/2010, 05:32 PM

Word to your mother! And a 8-4 Temple team is left out for a 6-7 Ohio team. :rolleyes: At least Temple plays people like Ohio State and Pen State, whatever that's worth.

Jello Biafra
12/29/2010, 05:35 PM
Word to your mother! And a 8-4 Temple team is left out for a 6-7 Ohio team. :rolleyes: At least Temple plays people like Ohio State and Pen State, whatever that's worth.

how bout that shiite game on tonight? nebbish and washington.....what there arent any highschools in nebraska available to play tonight?

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2010, 05:39 PM
how bout that shiite game on tonight? nebbish and washington.....what there arent any highschools in nebraska available to play tonight?

Again, the playoff we will end up with (as opposed to the idealistic version everyone has in their Shangri-la mind) will not solve this problem.

Playoff proponents always talk about leaving the bowl system in place and having the playoffs take place on the side. Okay, so Nebbish is still playing Washington tonight, regardless. And you're still complaining, regardless.

Jello Biafra
12/29/2010, 05:46 PM
Again, the playoff we will end up with (as opposed to the idealistic version everyone has in their Shangri-la mind) will not solve this problem.

Playoff proponents always talk about leaving the bowl system in place and having the playoffs take place on the side. Okay, so Nebbish is still playing Washington tonight, regardless. And you're still complaining, regardless.

and if something isnt done about it, we will still be playing the next cinderella while texas plays NE wyoming state....you trying to tell me warshington will give nebish more of a fight than say a 9 win ohio state?

reddfoxx
12/29/2010, 06:03 PM
I was being sarcastic. 90% of the bowl games absolutely suck. These are crap games that I wouldn't watch during the season and they're being served up to us as something great. I really could care less about Maryland vs East Carolina.

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2010, 06:03 PM
and if something isnt done about it, we will still be playing the next cinderella while texas plays NE wyoming state....you trying to tell me warshington will give nebish more of a fight than say a 9 win ohio state?

I think you've highlighted a problem. I just don't think you have a solution.

agoo758
12/29/2010, 06:58 PM
I like it. The only other thing I would add is that computers are almost 100 percent in determining the rankings and the human polls act only in a case when the computer numbers are tied.

MeMyself&Me
12/29/2010, 07:53 PM

The only thing I don't like about it is that I would prefer there not to be two teams from the same conference in a bowl game AND a provision that prevents rematches.

One thing that I would add is that the rankings be derived from a single simple to understand computer derived formula... no human polls, no politics, and no mystery.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/29/2010, 08:07 PM
I do like rule #8. No post season for BSU until the smurf turf is replaced.