PDA

View Full Version : The Lambert Trophy (east coast football)

ouwasp
12/29/2010, 02:53 PM
For those of us that disdain eastern football, yet another reason :rolleyes: ...created to pump east coast football :rolleyes: ...yeah, Penn St has won a boatload of them :rolleyes: ...meanwhile, our friends from CT have yet to be awarded this highly coveted prize :( ... I read somewhere that Navy was in the lead, but that was from Oct... no doubt the mighty Huskies see the Fiesta as their chance to capture the mighty Lambert! :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert-Meadowlands_Trophy

KantoSooner
12/29/2010, 02:59 PM
When I see things like this, I tend to think of third world generalissimos, ever raising the peaks on their hats and awarding themselves ever more grandiose titles and medals for valor in wars that never happened.

I mean, seriously? Inventing an award and then ruling out everyone but your little gerrymandered neighborhood? What could possibly be more pathetic? This is the definition of an award that the 'winner' should refuse. Out of modicum of self respect if nothing else.

reddfoxx
12/29/2010, 03:02 PM
How pathetic is it that an unranked team wins the "Best Team in the East" award?

Will TCU qualify for the Lambert award next year so it will have some measure of credibility?

KantoSooner
12/29/2010, 04:07 PM
At least is is ironically accurate.

TCU should win this silly thing for the next 7,000 seasons.

SoonerPride
12/29/2010, 04:09 PM
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/56/9a/0f064310fca007dfa4816010._AA240_.L.jpg

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2010, 04:35 PM
At one time the trophy meant something, because teams from the east rarely played those from the west, and eastern football was dominant.

KantoSooner
12/29/2010, 04:39 PM
True and Harvard and Yale won 'national' championships. And Notre Dame was relevant.

I tend to think of the post WWII era when I think about football, though. Not a criticism, that's just me.

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2010, 05:26 PM
The Lambert Trophy was a good idea at the time. If Stanford and Yale went undefeated, how would an eastern sportswriter compare the two? All he would have were newspaper clippings. The idea of handing out a championship only among teams familiar to your own sportswriters was praiseworthy, imo.

SoonerLB
12/29/2010, 06:12 PM
When I see things like this, I tend to think of third world generalissimos, ever raising the peaks on their hats and awarding themselves ever more grandiose titles and medals for valor in wars that never happened.

I mean, seriously? Inventing an award and then ruling out everyone but your little gerrymandered neighborhood? What could possibly be more pathetic? This is the definition of an award that the 'winner' should refuse. Out of modicum of self respect if nothing else.

You tell 'em Kanto, those yankee bastages (and ESPN analysts)! :D

ouwasp
12/29/2010, 07:11 PM
The Lambert Trophy was a good idea at the time. If Stanford and Yale went undefeated, how would an eastern sportswriter compare the two? All he would have were newspaper clippings. The idea of handing out a championship only among teams familiar to your own sportswriters was praiseworthy, imo.

Was[/B] being the operative word. Imo, the "worthiness" of the Lambert went out the window maybe in 1960. But that's only 50 yrs ago. What a joke... imo...

Leroy Lizard
12/29/2010, 07:39 PM
I don't think it means much to anyone. I think you can extend its worthlessness back into the early 1950s. Certainly it meant little during our dominance during that time.