PDA

View Full Version : USPS is doing something smart...

Okla-homey
12/28/2010, 06:08 PM
no, not firing Dean.:D

They will no longer issue first-class stamps in specific denominations. Instead, all first-class stamps will be "forever" stamps. That way, when first-class rates go up, they won't have to print new stamps, thus saving squillions.

I think that's smart.

Now, if they could just get Congress to let them stop delivering bulk rate mail to every mailbox, every day, they might just break even.

That is all.

StoopTroup
12/28/2010, 06:20 PM
How hard can it be to deliver mail at this point? I mean....lots of Companies have started up in the last few decades because it's really easy to do it and charge $6 or more bucks to get it there. You'd think USPS with the amount of stuff everyone gets could make it. By the time you add up what 5-10 pieces of mail delivered daily to damn near every address in America brings in...the amount has to be staggering. Fedx, UPS, DHL...etc...charge huge amounts to get something there by the next day and USPS can get a letter to OKC the next day from Tulsa if you time it right. It would seem to me that Americans are idiots to pay Fedx rates for something you can get there for much less. USPS overnight rates are better too. Maybe they could figure out a better way to slow down their system and deliver to some ares on one day and others on other days. Then it's overnight rates might be be worth paying in some cases. Until they quit delivering stuff within two days like they do...the stamp is such a good deal that they are putting themselves out of business I guess. 50 cents seems like a good deal for a letter these days even if it made it within a week to OKC.

OULenexaman
12/28/2010, 06:27 PM
don't tell Obama how much a squillion is......he will try to spend it.

yermom
12/28/2010, 06:51 PM
How hard can it be to deliver mail at this point? I mean....lots of Companies have started up in the last few decades because it's really easy to do it and charge $6 or more bucks to get it there. You'd think USPS with the amount of stuff everyone gets could make it. By the time you add up what 5-10 pieces of mail delivered daily to damn near every address in America brings in...the amount has to be staggering. Fedx, UPS, DHL...etc...charge huge amounts to get something there by the next day and USPS can get a letter to OKC the next day from Tulsa if you time it right. It would seem to me that Americans are idiots to pay Fedx rates for something you can get there for much less. USPS overnight rates are better too. Maybe they could figure out a better way to slow down their system and deliver to some ares on one day and others on other days. Then it's overnight rates might be be worth paying in some cases. Until they quit delivering stuff within two days like they do...the stamp is such a good deal that they are putting themselves out of business I guess. 50 cents seems like a good deal for a letter these days even if it made it within a week to OKC.

i'm not about to mail a letter with UPS

but USPS packages suck suck it

of course, i haven't bought stamps in i don't know how long. it's gotta be like 5 years

StoopTroup
12/28/2010, 06:56 PM
We still send a few things via stamp.

SicEmBaylor
12/28/2010, 07:50 PM
Now, if they could just get Congress to let them stop delivering bulk rate mail to every mailbox, every day, they might just break even.

This isn't going to happen when many of those members of Congress rely on bulk rate mail to get elected. Direct mail is the bread and butter of most campaign strategists. Personally, I think it's way the hell over used and in most rural districts a complete waste of money but that's blasphemy in some circles.

Veritas
12/28/2010, 07:54 PM
This isn't going to happen when many of those members of Congress rely on bulk rate mail to get elected. Direct mail is the bread and butter of most campaign strategists. Personally, I think it's way the hell over used and in most rural districts a complete waste of money but that's blasphemy in some circles.
Hell, direct mail is the only thing keeping the USPS afloat.

StoopTroup
12/28/2010, 08:39 PM

I believe it was you that got Obama elected. There's way to many clues that keep getting exposed one by one. Conservative my ***. :D

Soonerfan88
12/28/2010, 10:04 PM
It's a lot harder for the USPS to make a profit when they are required to deliver everywhere in the US - even that solitary igloo hundreds of miles from anywhere in Alaska. UPS, FedEx, etc. have restrictions on when and where they deliver, saving them a bundle.

And they really do need to drop Saturday delivery of 1st class & under. Unless it's in a Priority envelope, it will wait until Monday.

soonercruiser
12/29/2010, 10:54 PM
It's a lot harder for the USPS to make a profit when they are required to deliver everywhere in the US - even that solitary igloo hundreds of miles from anywhere in Alaska. UPS, FedEx, etc. have restrictions on when and where they deliver, saving them a bundle.

And they really do need to drop Saturday delivery of 1st class & under. Unless it's in a Priority envelope, it will wait until Monday.

Agree.
I really expect Saturday USPS deliveries to be in the first batch of so-called government cost-cutting initiatives in 2011.

SoonerDude
12/30/2010, 01:28 AM
Hell, direct mail is the only thing keeping the USPS afloat.

And Netflix.