PDA

View Full Version : Best player in the game

CowboyMRW
12/27/2010, 09:56 PM
In the NBA

Don't let biases or hate choose your answer. Please state your choice and reasoning.

rekamrettuB
12/27/2010, 10:11 PM
Magic

yermom
12/27/2010, 10:22 PM
right now?

i'll give it to Kobe. the ****er.

Midtowner
12/27/2010, 10:27 PM
Kobe "the rapist" Bryant.

CowboyMRW
12/27/2010, 10:31 PM
Yes right now. Sorry, but I'm having a long conversation about it with a bunch of people over facebook statuses. I posted this

He's the best player in the game, It's just that simple
There's nothing that Lebron James can't do
He will defend your best player
He will shoot from the perimeter
He will get all in yo mug
He will do whatever it takes
He is the most complete basketball player
In the game today - bar none
He has an assassin's mentality
Who's starving more for an NBA World Championship
More than Lebron James? There is no one

Now it's drawn out to a long convo with 20 people expressing they're thoughts

OUthunder
12/27/2010, 10:33 PM
the rapist

CowboyMRW
12/27/2010, 10:35 PM
Is everyone saying Kobe because of rings? They aren't everything

OUthunder
12/27/2010, 10:38 PM
Lebron James is a fraud. I saw him quit last year in the playoffs on his team. Not even top 5 IMHO.

Eielson
12/27/2010, 10:47 PM
I guarantee that the Heat would win a championship this year if they switched Lebron out for Kobe.

Adrian
12/27/2010, 11:12 PM
Kobe has one for the thumb. LeBrick is a regular season diva-all stats, no heart...

CowboyMRW
12/27/2010, 11:38 PM
Ok, just wanted to see what other people thought.

FWIW though, the Heat are still going to win the 'ship

Eielson
12/28/2010, 12:04 AM

I doubt it, but we'll see.

Curly Bill
12/28/2010, 12:17 AM
It's Kobe, and like many have pretty much said: I'm not a big Kobe fan.

Curly Bill
12/28/2010, 12:17 AM

Uhhhh...no

CowboyMRW
12/28/2010, 12:19 AM
Anyone want to have a friendly wager about it. Like if I was to lose yall would pick something about OU to be in my sig or avatar or something.

My pick is the Heat to win it though.

Frozen Sooner
12/28/2010, 12:26 AM
Martin Gortat. And it's not close.

CowboyMRW
12/28/2010, 12:33 AM

I think you mean Marcin, but that's an unusual pick. He got traded to the Suns didn't he in the Turkoglu trade

Veritas
12/28/2010, 12:35 AM
Eff the NBA since MJ retired.

Frozen Sooner
12/28/2010, 12:49 AM
I think you mean Marcin, but that's an unusual pick. He got traded to the Suns didn't he in the Turkoglu trade

Best player in the game. That guy can hoop.

yankee
12/28/2010, 12:57 AM

lmao.

well it's either him or dan gadzuric...it's a toss up for me.

yankee
12/28/2010, 01:00 AM
on a more serious note, Lebron is the best player in the game. Well, he's the most complete. Unfortunately, his haters (JLEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) before never would admit that.. and now post-i'mtakingmytalentstosouthbeach? pssshhhh...no chance in hell. is he an egotistical jerk? well yeah.............but at least he didn't rape anyone.

Eielson
12/28/2010, 03:22 AM
on a more serious note, Lebron is the best player in the game. Well, he's the most complete. Unfortunately, his haters (JLEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) before never would admit that.. and now post-i'mtakingmytalentstosouthbeach? pssshhhh...no chance in hell.

You can call Lebron the best, but calling him the most complete is nonsense.

is he an egotistical jerk? well yeah.............but at least he didn't rape anyone.

I have as much reason to believe that Lebron raped somebody as I do for Kobe.

badger
12/28/2010, 09:28 AM
Kobe's a jerk and getting old, but he's still the most clutch, hardest working guy on the court. LeBron is just making money with his friends in Miami and beating up on a crappy East. They'll fold in the playoffs from lack of depth and no experience. It's a different game in the playoffs.

rekamrettuB
12/28/2010, 09:40 AM
Anyone want to have a friendly wager about it. Like if I was to lose yall would pick something about OU to be in my sig or avatar or something.

My pick is the Heat to win it though.

About what? Who the best player in the league is?

Best player by far, tho he hasn't been able to showcase it, is Greg Oden.

My Opinion Matters
12/28/2010, 09:45 AM
Meh. I'm tired of this argument.

XingTheRubicon
12/28/2010, 10:26 AM
This may be the wrong site to ask that question, aggie. Sooner fans generally put a lot of weight in championships and heart.

Quitters on the rise?? Not so much.

JohnnyMack
12/28/2010, 10:31 AM
Kobe is the best player in the game.

LeBron is the most talented player in the game.

The
12/28/2010, 10:45 AM
http://www.dailythunder.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/krstic.jpg

OUMallen
12/28/2010, 11:55 AM
Darko.

CowboyMRW
12/28/2010, 01:05 PM
About what? Who the best player in the league is?

Best player by far, tho he hasn't been able to showcase it, is Greg Oden.

That was for who would win it all in the Finals

ouleaf
12/28/2010, 01:28 PM
Easy

http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens1418591module8242717photo_899_1.jpg12029 63741

2121Sooner
12/28/2010, 02:32 PM
on a more serious note, Lebron is the best player in the game. Well, he's the most complete. Unfortunately, his haters (JLEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) before never would admit that.. and now post-i'mtakingmytalentstosouthbeach? pssshhhh...no chance in hell. is he an egotistical jerk? well yeah.............but at least he didn't rape anyone.

nah, but he sure Fd' Cleveland.

And LeBron is by far the most talented player in the NBA. But when it comes to crunch time in the playoffs he folds like a tent. He doesnt elevate his game or anyone else on his team.

We will see what happens this year against Boston or Orlando in the Eastern Conf Playoffs.

CowboyMRW
12/28/2010, 02:54 PM
nah, but he sure Fd' Cleveland.

And LeBron is by far the most talented player in the NBA. But when it comes to crunch time in the playoffs he folds like a tent. He doesnt elevate his game or anyone else on his team.

We will see what happens this year against Boston or Orlando in the Eastern Conf Playoffs.

Doesn't elevate his game? His first ever playoff game was a triple double I believe. Isn't he on pace to break the triple double record for playoffs. He put the Cavs on his back and took them to the finals with one of the worst teams.

2121Sooner
12/28/2010, 03:03 PM
Doesn't elevate his game? His first ever playoff game was a triple double I believe. Isn't he on pace to break the triple double record for playoffs. He put the Cavs on his back and took them to the finals with one of the worst teams.

Where they were swept in 4 games against the Spurs. Winning the East used to be like winning the NFC West in football. Look at the teams the Cavs went up against. I think they beat Detroit in the Conf finals. Look at that team and tell me again how they were world beaters? Hamilton, Billups, and Price........

Go Bron Bron!!!

CowboyMRW
12/28/2010, 03:16 PM
Where they were swept in 4 games against the Spurs. Winning the East used to be like winning the NFC West in football. Look at the teams the Cavs went up against. I think they beat Detroit in the Conf finals. Look at that team and tell me again how they were world beaters? Hamilton, Billups, and Price........

Go Bron Bron!!!

That same Pistons team won 2 straight 'ships didn't they? Their lack on inside presence has been the only thing that kept them from winning a 'ship. Dwight Howard and Tim Duncan destroyed them. They matched up much better with the Lakers then the Magic that year.

yankee
12/28/2010, 03:30 PM
You can call Lebron the best, but calling him the most complete is nonsense.

Who do you think is a more complete player than Lebron James?

yankee
12/28/2010, 03:31 PM
That same Pistons team won 2 straight 'ships didn't they? Their lack on inside presence has been the only thing that kept them from winning a 'ship. Dwight Howard and Tim Duncan destroyed them. They matched up much better with the Lakers then the Magic that year.

You picked the Heat to win it all this year, didn't you?

You do realize that their lack of an inside presence is probably what's going to keep them from reaching the NBA Finals right? If Boston is healthy, and if these two teams meet, I don't see the Heat beating them.

StoopTroup
12/28/2010, 03:32 PM
Blake Griffin. Just because.

CowboyMRW
12/28/2010, 03:33 PM
Maybe years before you could say he wasn't the most complete but he's putting it all together now. He's knocking down jumpshots and 3's with regularity and can get to the rim anytime he wants.

He's by far the best in the game and it's really not close

2121Sooner
12/28/2010, 03:36 PM

The Pistons won it in 2004 and not two straight years. They went to the finals two years in a row, but didnt win. And in the Finals Parker and Ginobili scorched their arse. Not Duncan

CowboyMRW
12/28/2010, 03:38 PM

You do realize that their lack of an inside presence is probably what's going to keep them from reaching the NBA Finals right? If Boston is healthy, and if these two teams meet, I don't see the Heat beating them.

I did pick the heat. I really think that they will beat Boston in 7. It will be an intense matchup but I don't think that the Celts will keep up with Wade and Lebron and Bosh should be able to do just enough to slow the Celts

CowboyMRW
12/28/2010, 04:02 PM
The Pistons won it in 2004 and not two straight years. They went to the finals two years in a row, but didnt win. And in the Finals Parker and Ginobili scorched their arse. Not Duncan

My bad. Not sure what I was thinking. Thanks for the correction.

2121Sooner
12/28/2010, 04:58 PM
No corrections here. Agree with you that LeBron is the most talented, he is just a punk biyatch.

"The Decision" was the worst PR move in the history of sports. If you are gonna go on National TV, why do it to crush a city?

Eielson
12/28/2010, 06:22 PM
Who do you think is a more complete player than Lebron James?

Kobe Bryant.

yermom
12/28/2010, 06:46 PM
he shows up in big games and gets it done

until LeBron gets that clutch reputation, it's not him

i can't believe i hate him more than Kobe :D

i'd totally pull for the Lakers over the Heat right now.

My Opinion Matters
12/28/2010, 07:05 PM
If the Lakers were playing against a team of child molestors coached by Satan I'd root for the child molestors.

Eielson
12/28/2010, 08:31 PM
If the Lakers were playing against a team of child molestors coached by Satan I'd root for the child molestors.

I would too, but the Lakers are my favorite team.

yankee
12/29/2010, 02:17 AM
Kobe Bryant.

Not anymore.

SoonerBread
12/29/2010, 03:40 AM
When some people think about best player, they probably gravitate toward what they look for most in a player period - scoring, defending, clutch performances, etc.

For years, Kobe was the best at all those. But he's not the best scorer anymore. He's not even his own team's best defender. And some of his "clutch" has waned as recently as this year. He's still an outstanding player.

When I think of best player, I think of the type of player that can do many things and do them all equally well, at a high level. For instance, Durant is arguably the best scorer in the league. But other parts of his game have flaws. For years, Duncan was the best post scorer, but had limited effectiveness outside. His defense was good, not great. MJ was a world-class scorer and defender, with ice water running through his veins. That, to me defined best player. A player who could do everything equally well, and on any given night could either shut down the other team's biggest threat, lead his team in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, minutes played, and on and on - and sometimes all in the same game. So who fits that description right now?

Dewayne Wade? Great slasher, athletic, plays above the rim on both sides of the court. LeBron James? Great scorer from all over the court, has hit clutch shots in the past, can rebound, block shots, pass, play defense. Kobe Bryant? At one time could do all the above. And occasionally still can. Kevin Durant? Nope. Not yet anyway. Dirk Nowitzki? lol. Chris Paul? Lacks the "it" factor. Carmelo Anthony? Sloppy, lazy, but has good all-around skills. And one could go on for days about the rest of the league.

So ask yourself this... If all you saw was one practice session, a scrimmage if you will, and each player in the NBA saw game time, who would you pick to start your team with? Keep in mind you know nothing else about their locker room demeanor, baggage, diva status, etc. Based solely on skill, who would it be? My answer to that would be LeBron James, and I can't really stand the guy.

Eielson
12/29/2010, 04:09 AM
I don't understand how we can call someone with such a mediocre mid-range game the "most complete" player.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/29/2010, 10:09 AM
I don't understand how we can call someone with such a mediocre mid-range game the "most complete" player.

Dis...btw

The question is the best player in the NBA, not the most talented...The best players get it done...

and Kobe didn't rape anybody...That girl had sex with 3 dudes in about a 2 day span and the one guy that "raped" her just happens to be an NBA star?

Frozen Sooner
12/29/2010, 11:16 AM
Certainly. Promiscuous girls never get raped. ;)

JohnnyMack
12/29/2010, 11:26 AM

:rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
12/29/2010, 11:28 AM
:rolleyes:
:cool:

sooner ngintunr
12/29/2010, 11:28 AM
Blake Griffin. Just because.

This. The rest of you should be ashamed it took more than one page to get the correct answer.:D

Wishboned
12/29/2010, 12:05 PM
Is everyone saying Kobe because of rings? They aren't everything

It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring.

badger
12/29/2010, 12:13 PM
Nobody is as good as putting butts in seats and getting your team on ESPN for highlights like Blake Griffin. I've seen more of the Clippers (and more Clippers fans in seats) this season than any in recent memory... maybe their playoff run a few years ago, but wow, you see the Clips on Sportscenter EVERY MORNING because of Blake Griffin.

So anyway, Blake Griffin :D

NormanPride
12/29/2010, 12:40 PM
LeBron really wants to be an outside guy, but he needs to be an inside guy. Kobe is just about the perfect 2. Blake is the perfect 4.

JohnnyMack
12/29/2010, 12:40 PM
:cool:

You're better than that. That was something Leroid would post.

Frozen Sooner
12/29/2010, 12:51 PM
You apparently suffer from winky blindness.

CowboyMRW
12/29/2010, 01:02 PM
It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring.

So because Kobe arguably has had the 2 best centers in the league during their time in their prime at that, he has won 5 rings. Lebron on the other hand has had no one to help him take their team to the next level.

How did Kobe do without an elite center?

JohnnyMack
12/29/2010, 01:42 PM
So because Kobe arguably has had the 2 best centers in the league during their time in their prime at that, he has won 5 rings. Lebron on the other hand has had no one to help him take their team to the next level.

Doesn't matter. Until LeBron can finish, he's still not the best player in the game. Kobe is. LeBron has more upside than Kobe, but he ain't got rings.

badger
12/29/2010, 01:44 PM
Not that it disqualifies him from the discussion of best player in the league, but I hear Kobe's wife is batsh!t crazy and curses at reporters in front of her children.

Wishboned
12/29/2010, 02:07 PM

To be the man, you have to beat the man.

2121Sooner
12/29/2010, 02:11 PM
When the Heat dont win the Championship this year, what is gonna be the excuse for LeBron then?

"Well sure he had a great teammate in Wade but Bosh wasnt ever the big man that Shaq or Gasol was.......in fact he is overrated. But..but...but...."

bigfatjerk
12/29/2010, 04:25 PM
It's not even close, Kevin Durant.

The
12/29/2010, 04:50 PM
Snapple agrees with 2121:

http://i.imgur.com/ofS8E.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
12/29/2010, 05:50 PM

Is he a rapist?

CowboyMRW
12/29/2010, 05:59 PM
Let's say the Heat do win this year. Will you consider him the best in the game then?

oumartin
12/29/2010, 06:22 PM
Kobe

2121Sooner
12/29/2010, 06:32 PM
Let's say the Heat do win this year. Will you consider him the best in the game then?

No. Dwayne Wade.......cause he will then have two rings to LeBron's one and I will then say LeBron cant win without Wade.

It is an endless, vicious cycle.

Wishboned
12/29/2010, 09:20 PM
When he carries his team to victory instead of disappearing and then sulking off like a petulant, spoiled child then I might consider him one of the best.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/30/2010, 01:45 AM
http://www.ultimatenba.com/galerias/EduardoNajera/EduardoNajera005.jpg

Eielson
12/30/2010, 11:33 AM
No. Dwayne Wade.......cause he will then have two rings to LeBron's one and I will then say LeBron cant win without Wade.

Combine both their rings and they're still two behind Kobe. Of course, the ring count is more likely to be 6:1:0 after this year.

2121Sooner
12/30/2010, 12:23 PM
Well if rings is the only deciding factor than Robert Horry is better than Kobe, Bron Bron, and Wade.......he has 7.

Eielson
12/30/2010, 12:31 PM
Well if rings is the only deciding factor than Robert Horry is better than Kobe, Bron Bron, and Wade.......he has 7.

Even Robert Horry can win 7 rings. Why can't Lebron win 1?

StoopTroup
12/30/2010, 12:47 PM
If greatness is based on rings....better check this list....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_players_wi th_most_championship_rings

CowboyMRW
12/30/2010, 12:59 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_players_wi th_most_championship_rings

Interesting list.

Eielson
12/30/2010, 01:03 PM

Anybody on that list who was one of their teams' top two players is one of the all-time greats.

It's not all about rings, but Lebron hasn't won a single one, and he hasn't even gotten close. He's shown he can win games, but he hasn't in anyway shown that his talent can translate to championships. If that's the ultimate goal, then how can we be so quick to name him the best player in the NBA?

Jello Biafra
12/30/2010, 01:03 PM
Interesting list.

o snap! dennis rodman has as many rings as kobe

CowboyMRW
12/30/2010, 11:00 PM
Rings do not make you the best! Teams win rings. If Lebron would've had any help then he would have a couple rings by now

2121Sooner
12/31/2010, 12:19 PM
Rings do not make you the best! Teams win rings. If Lebron would've had any help then he would have a couple rings by now

Not LeBron's teams.......

AlboSooner
12/31/2010, 12:21 PM
the rapist.

somebody explain to me this world champions thing: you play in a national private league, but when you are its champion you are world champion? If they use the "nobody else won the NBA trophy" argument, then why don't we say the OU sooners are the 2000 NCAA world champions, or the big 12 champion are also world champions. Why stop at the world, and not say Universe Champions?

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2010, 12:58 PM
the rapist.

somebody explain to me this world champions thing: you play in a national private league, but when you are its champion you are world champion? If they use the "nobody else won the NBA trophy" argument, then why don't we say the OU sooners are the 2000 NCAA world champions, or the big 12 champion are also world champions. Why stop at the world, and not say Universe Champions?

Because the NBA is universally recognized as the best basketball league in the world. They generally recognize the Super Bowl winners as World Champions as well.

salth2o
12/31/2010, 01:20 PM
the rapist

Boltok The Rapist? I knew he played for Kazakhstan, but did not know he played in the NBA. Cool.

AlboSooner
12/31/2010, 02:32 PM
Because the NBA is universally recognized as the best basketball league in the world. They generally recognize the Super Bowl winners as World Champions as well.

I think it is the best basketball league in the world, however that makes the winner the champion of the best league in the world, a champion of a league, not a world champion.

With football being even less popular world wide than basketball, the world champion moniker makes less sense to me.

What, the SEC will start calling its champion, world champion, because it is the best league in NCAA Div I football?

Frozen Sooner
12/31/2010, 02:35 PM
I think it is the best basketball league in the world, however that makes the winner the champion of the best league in the world, a champion of a league, not a world champion.

With football being even less popular world wide than basketball, the world champion moniker makes less sense to me.

What, the SEC will start calling its champion, world champion, because it is the best league in NCAA Div I football?

No. The SEC is not the highest level of football played in the world. The NFL is. Any SEC champion claiming to be world champion would be quickly disabused by playing any NFL team.

AlboSooner
12/31/2010, 02:43 PM
No. The SEC is not the highest level of football played in the world. The NFL is. Any SEC champion claiming to be world champion would be quickly disabused by playing any NFL team.

I see that. However there are too many qualifiers even for the NFL. The SEC and NFL are in different levels, and not direct competitors, and at the collegiate level the SEC is the best league.

When a team wins the superbowl it has not won the SEC as well.

I understand your point and I don't mean to be pedantic, but it seems odd to me to call world champions a league winner, especially when you don't compete against the world.

2121Sooner
12/31/2010, 02:45 PM
This discussion shows you two are World Champion phags

Now kiss your trophy....

http://badgerbulletin.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/best-awards.jpg

AlboSooner
12/31/2010, 02:47 PM
now there's three

2121Sooner
12/31/2010, 02:47 PM
now there's three

Guilty. But in a masculine way.

Collier11
12/31/2010, 03:56 PM
Uhhhh...no

Id be willing to make a friendly wager that the Heat WILL win a title in the next 5 years, I dont think they will win it this year, its gonna be the Celts this year. I dont know that they will win multiple like they think they will though

Isnt it amazing how much better the Heat have been since they got Dampeer :O

Eielson
12/31/2010, 03:59 PM
The SEC Champion does not call themselves the World Champion (actually they probably do) because, as has been said, it's not the highest level. If the college football player is good enough, he will move on to the NFL at some point. The same goes for European basketball players. If they are good enough, they will go on to the NBA. There may be some exceptions, but it's the general rule. Germany's best player (Dirk) is in the NBA. China's best player (Yao) is in the NBA. Spain's best players are in the NBA (the Gasols and likely Rubio in the near future). Argentina's star player (Ginobli) was in the NBA when he torched America. The NBA can reasonably be considered the highest level of basketball in the world. Another flaw with the SEC argument is that the best players from Texas are likely to be in the Big XII, the best players in Michigan are likely to be in the Big X, and the best players in California are likely to be in the Pac-10. For the SEC to be like the NBA, you would have to start seeing the best players from all the other conferences transfer to SEC schools. You would see stuff like Sam Bradford winning his Heisman trophy, and then transferring to Alabama the following season. That obviously doesn't happen.

What is the reason for this World Champion discussion? Is it just a question out of curiosity, or is this to further the Kobe-Lebron discussion? If that's the discussion, then Kobe is still a World Champion. America's World Championships teams were struggling when the team was being lead by Lebron. The team led by Kobe left no doubt.

StoopTroup
12/31/2010, 04:06 PM
o snap! dennis rodman has as many rings as kobe

That's cause Rodman>Kobe :D :pop:

Tulsa_Fireman
1/1/2011, 05:55 PM
EDUARDO NAJERA

CowboyMRW
5/28/2011, 11:02 PM
With the way that Lebron has been playing on both ends of the floor, I thought that this would be interesting being brought back up.

The guy is on a straight mission and I expect the Heat to win in 5

SoonerofAlabama
5/28/2011, 11:07 PM
It is LeBron IMO, but Dirk is right on his tail.

SoonerNate
5/28/2011, 11:08 PM
I guarantee that the Heat would win a championship this year if they switched Lebron out for Kobe.

LMAO Kobe wouldn't even start for us.

Eielson
5/28/2011, 11:41 PM

Good one.

SoonerofAlabama
5/29/2011, 12:15 AM

Why would they need Kobe anyways? He is on the decline and LeBron is improving his game all-around.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/29/2011, 04:36 AM
Now don't get all crazy on me but the best player in the game is Dirk Nowitzki. Let's face it, if I put Shane Battier or Ron Artest on Lebron for seven games...he will fold like an accordion at some point. Name one player in the league that keep Dirk from any spot that he wants. Play off of him..he buries the three, play him tight, he can dribble around you. God help you if you foul him. You might as well just put 2 points on the board. I don't believe that Lebron is better than Wade and if he is...it isn't by much. I know I feel much more comfortable with Wade having the ball in important situations.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/29/2011, 04:38 AM
Just as a another point is if your team is down 1 with 48 seconds to go, who would you choose to have the ball. I would take Kobe, Dirk, Flash, The Truth all before I would take Lebron.

SoonerBread
5/29/2011, 04:44 AM
Now don't get all crazy on me but the best player in the game is Dirk Nowitzki. Let's face it, if I put Shane Battier or Ron Artest on Lebron for seven games...he will fold like an accordion at some point. Name one player in the league that keep Dirk from any spot that he wants. Play off of him..he buries the three, play him tight, he can dribble around you. God help you if you foul him. You might as well just put 2 points on the board. I don't believe that Lebron is better than Wade and if he is...it isn't by much. I know I feel much more comfortable with Wade having the ball in important situations.

I don't necessarily disagree with your points about Dirk, but that's purely from an offensive stand point. It will be interesting to see how LeBron does guarding Dirk. Conversely, Dirk won't be guarding LeBron. I think that says a lot.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/29/2011, 11:53 AM
I think people are reading way too much into Lebron slowing down Derrick Rose. Let's see, you have an inexperienced point guard whose best weapon is a slightly above average power forward in Carlos Boozer, a defensive specialist in Noah, a defensive specialist in Deng, and shooting guard that that averaged 4.4 points a game. Rose had no weapons around him, and look what Jordan did when he got a three point shooter in Paxson, Armstrong, Kerr, a great second guy in Pippen, a post presence in Cartwright, Rodman. Being great isn't a defensive thing in my opinion. The league is scattered with lock down players who can make life miserable. What makes a player the best player is his ability to create his own shot easily and make it easier for his teammates to also get high percentage shots they are comfortable with. Players like that are a much rarer. Lebron is by far the most talented player in the league and he could be the "best" player in the league if during this series with Dallas if he shows the testicular fortitude he has never showed me before by fighting through the mental issues of having Dirk score somewhat at will but to have an answer and not wilt from the issues that will arise from the finals.

Collier11
5/29/2011, 12:23 PM
Dirk is quite possibly the best pure scorer of all-time, he doesnt have the all around game to merit best in the game though...he is def top 5

Mongo
5/29/2011, 12:25 PM
who would you rather have on your team: Dirk, Kobe, MJ, LBJ, or Ditka?

Collier11
5/29/2011, 12:30 PM
If it is a one game scenario it is still Kobe, as much as I hate to say it.

If you are talking about building a team with, Lebron...im not counting MJ cus he doesnt play anymore and Ditka is too bad *** to fathom

Eielson
5/29/2011, 12:47 PM
I'd probably pick Howard to start my team around.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/29/2011, 12:59 PM
It also has to deal with positional strength really. Really good to Elite point guards seem to be a dime a dozen. You could literally get the 10th best point guard and there wouldn't be a huge drop off from number 1. 2 guards are rarer and most of the good ones are old such as Ginobili and Kobe. You have tons of solid specialist who are either scorers or defenders however. Small Forwards about the same as shooting guard except, you do have really good younger talent in Lebron and Carmelo types, but also older ones such as Paul Pierce. Power Forwards and Centers that are really good are very rare. The fact that "Contract Year" Zach Randolph is top 5 is very telling. So if i was starting a team...Howard would be a great choice, definitely look at a Al Horford or a Kevin Love too

yankee
5/29/2011, 01:25 PM

+1

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/29/2011, 01:31 PM
If I had to pick one player, however, I would probably choose between Kevin Durant and Kevin Love. Durant and Love are both great people and players so whatever city I was in would love them. Durant is basically a ten years younger less polished version of Dirk who will not be outworked by any other player drafted. Kevin Love would get you 15 to 30 rebounds and points a night on top of being an intelligent passer and floor leader so he would be tough to pass on...

SoonerBread
5/29/2011, 05:19 PM
I think people are reading way too much into Lebron slowing down Derrick Rose. Let's see, you have an inexperienced point guard whose best weapon is a slightly above average power forward in Carlos Boozer, a defensive specialist in Noah, a defensive specialist in Deng, and shooting guard that that averaged 4.4 points a game. Rose had no weapons around him, and look what Jordan did when he got a three point shooter in Paxson, Armstrong, Kerr, a great second guy in Pippen, a post presence in Cartwright, Rodman. Being great isn't a defensive thing in my opinion. The league is scattered with lock down players who can make life miserable. What makes a player the best player is his ability to create his own shot easily and make it easier for his teammates to also get high percentage shots they are comfortable with. Players like that are a much rarer. Lebron is by far the most talented player in the league and he could be the "best" player in the league if during this series with Dallas if he shows the testicular fortitude he has never showed me before by fighting through the mental issues of having Dirk score somewhat at will but to have an answer and not wilt from the issues that will arise from the finals.

Again, not disagreeing with any of your Dirk statements. But being the best scorer in the league doesn't make one the best player. Dirk is a phenomenal shooter and scorer. No question about it. But his all-around game just isn't there. Hell, LBJ isn't even the best pure scorer on his own team; that would be D. Wade. At MJ's peak, he was the best scorer, best defender, and one of the top slashers/shooters/facilitators in the league. LBJ isn't at that point yet. He's not where Kobe was 2 years ago even. But he has the skill set. And comparable to the rest of the leauge, his game is the best, most well-rounded. He performs all facets equally well.

SoonerBread
5/29/2011, 05:20 PM
If I had to pick one player, however, I would probably choose between Kevin Durant and Kevin Love. Durant and Love are both great people and players so whatever city I was in would love them. Durant is basically a ten years younger less polished version of Dirk who will not be outworked by any other player drafted. Kevin Love would get you 15 to 30 rebounds and points a night on top of being an intelligent passer and floor leader so he would be tough to pass on...

Fo sho. Love needs a team built around him. Being a one-man wrecking crew for 82 nights in the NBA is hard on a man.

SoonerBread
5/29/2011, 05:24 PM
If it is a one game scenario it is still Kobe, as much as I hate to say it.

I would have agreed with you in 2009. But the last couple seasons (even though the Lakers were champs last season) has shown his skills to be waning, including what used to be the best finisher in the game.

Last couple years his sniper abilities have been too inconsistent. Maybe it was team chemistry, or his ego was in the way, or he just quit emphasizing it so much. Maybe he'll return to form. In all honesty, Durant has shown to be better at hitting clutch shots the last two seasons than has Kobe, the Thunder-Mavs series notwithstanding.

Collier11
5/29/2011, 06:01 PM
As much as I love Durant and I do believe he will bring our Thunder a title or two, he got beat up, made bad decisions, and really didnt have many answers late in the series against Dallas when we needed him to

StoopTroup
5/29/2011, 07:55 PM
KD didn't even look like the 3rd best player at times during the Playoffs.

Gandalf_The_Grey
5/30/2011, 12:18 AM
That is misleading with Durant. Do you think Harden gets the ball up top in one on one situations if Durant isn't taking 1 defender completely out of the equation. Durant is still learning a lot of things and is already a Top 5 player in the NBA. His ceiling is the highest in the league in my opinion. It's not every time you get a player with his skill set, that has heart and desire. That guy is not soft in the least, and most players that can do what he can are usually prima donnas

StoopTroup
5/30/2011, 12:24 AM
Yeah...I see your point but when he did have chances....he didn't look sharp. Compare Dirk to him....Dirk got MVP IMO. I saw Dirk overcome OKC's Defense to hit shots that nobody could have with that kind of pressure on....

I like Kevin but the Mavs Series....he got PNWED.