PDA

View Full Version : New comments from Broyles re: the NFL

mgsooner
12/27/2010, 05:15 PM
Is Broyles staying or going? Listen to this, then decide for yourself
12/27/2010 2:12:02 PM

PARADISE VALLEY, Ariz. — If you think you know what Ryan Broyles is going to do, you probably don’t.

Will Broyles return to Oklahoma next year to play his senior season as a Sooner?

Or will he decide he’s had enough of the college life and jump to the NFL?

Take a look at what Broyles said to a small group of reporters Monday morning at the J.W. Marriott Camelback Inn.

“I feel like I’ve been here and I’ve done my thing,” Broyles said. “If I were to come back, it’d be a great situation. I’m from Norman, so I have all my family and friends there. It’s not like I hate the place, so that wouldn’t be a reason to leave.

“I don’t feel like I owe the university anything. You know? They’ve definitely been great to me. I’ve met a lot of great people through it, great coaches, great teammates. But at the end of the day, you do have to sit back and worry about your future as well.”

That was Broyles’ reply to my question of whether a sense of loyalty to his teammates, his school and the program he has helped take to another level would weigh into his decision.

I asked Broyles if the likelihood OU would be a consensus preseason No. 1 next year and would be a strong favorite to win the 2011 national championship if he (and linebacker Travis Lewis) came back had any influence on his decision.

“Hey, that’s a great deal,” he said. “If that’s the case, you get to soak on that all offseason. But at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what you’re ranked until the season’s over.”

A couple of questions were asked about DeMarco Murray’s year as a fifth-year senior and how seeing what Murray accomplished this season impacted Broyles.

“Those summers is what makes you think about (leaving),” Broyles said. “It’s hard to come back and work out with Smitty (Jerry Schmidt) and the strength coaches. It’s hard to even think about it, because we beat our bodies up so much. But at the end of the day, it definitely benefits us. But him being a fifth-year senior, everyone’s like, ‘You don’t want to be that guy.’ But it pays off in the end.

“I feel like if it’s not time for you to leave, then you have no regrets. Workouts are always gonna be in our life if you’re an athlete. That’s the only thing I can see that would be a bad thing about being a fifth-year senior.”

Lastly, I asked him about the NFL’s impending labor stoppage and the possibility there might not even be a draft. (“Listenting to most people's opinion, this would be the very worst year to come out as an underclassman, because of all the labor issues and uncertainty,” coach Bob Stoops said last week.)

“Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard,” Broyles said. “But they’ve said that in the past as well. It’s just nothing you can play with. No one wants to play for a discount. That’s what coach Stoops says. It’s become more of a reality and makes more sense to me. But I do have a decision to make and I’ll make it after the game.”

— John E. Hoover

His comment "But they've said that in the past as well" leads me to believe that someone has been in his ear about leaving, saying he SHOULD leave and trying to downplay the possibility of a work stoppage. I find it hard to believe that the history of NFL work stoppages is something that a 21 year old kid has an encyclopedic knowledge of.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/27/2010, 05:17 PM
Interesting...

bmjlr
12/27/2010, 05:27 PM
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but sounds like he believes he has nothing else to prove here.

nativesooner
12/27/2010, 05:38 PM
Reverend Ken must be telling him to go! Sometimes those "experts" have no clue. Ask Dom Franks!

JLEW1818
12/27/2010, 05:40 PM
nothing else to prove at all. If he leaves great for him. There will be at least 4 WR in front of him. This draft class is loaded at WR.

Broyles is probably already at the top of his game, he wouldn't get that much better coming back.

who knows... but enjoy him in the Fiesta Bowl

JLEW1818
12/27/2010, 05:40 PM
if he does come back, our offense will be sick if a RB shows up.

setem
12/27/2010, 05:50 PM
!!!!Justin McCay!!!!

Another year another player! I wish him the best!

OUthunder
12/27/2010, 05:54 PM
Personally, I see him as a 2nd round pick at best. Maybe even drops to 3rd. He didn't exactly light NU up and if he is going pro, the Fiesta will be big for him.

85sooners
12/27/2010, 06:00 PM
Ou has a stable full of recievers

StoopTroup
12/27/2010, 06:00 PM
Sounds like he's making sure anything that might be considered a negative which would get in the way of a good business decision or his view of what he expected from his career doesn't get in the way. Keep it simple. Address issues and keep talking positively about your future.

I wish him well....whatever he decides is best. Man he's made some great catches as a Sooner! If the Rams picked him up...I'd be very happy.

OUthunder
12/27/2010, 06:01 PM
I'd love to see him back, regardless, I see him as a flanker or in the slot in the NFL due to his size.

SGA
12/27/2010, 06:03 PM
his comments about summer workouts seem very pointed

StoopTroup
12/27/2010, 06:06 PM
I find it hard to believe that the history of NFL work stoppages is something that a 21 year old kid has an encyclopedic knowledge of.

I'm pretty sure he has plenty of folks he can depend on for filling in any gaps in it all. Just because agents have possibly messed with his head doesn't mean other people he trusts won't be contacted prior to him making a decision. I think it's pretty evident that playing well in the UConn Game is pretty important in helping him make a decision. He gets a lot of National Coverage from the game. The Big XII CG wasn't his best outing this year. I bet he's glad to get some time to heal up and prepare for what would seem to be one of the biggest games of his career as a Sooner.

jdd12
12/27/2010, 06:16 PM
his comments about summer workouts seem very pointed

That whole pararaph confused me. The bit about working out and "you don't want to be that guy" in reference to Murray being a fifth year senior.

I wish him the best regardless of his choice. Hopefully he can do big things in the league whenever he gets there.

sooner59
12/27/2010, 06:18 PM
nothing else to prove at all. If he leaves great for him. There will be at least 4 WR in front of him. This draft class is loaded at WR.

Broyles is probably already at the top of his game, he wouldn't get that much better coming back.

who knows... but enjoy him in the Fiesta Bowl

Yep, a lot of WRs will go ahead of him. I don't see as much talent in the next draft to compete with compared to this one. Jeffrey from S. Carolina, Green from Georgia, Jones from Bama, and Blackmon from OSU likely all go ahead of him mostly because of his size. Fuller from A&M may creep up in the conversation because of his size as well. Smaller guys are going to miss out on a bunch of money when they are competing in the draft against a bunch of 6'2"-6'4" guys.

Jacie
12/27/2010, 06:44 PM
I think he knows enough not to worry about what he cannot control (the other WR's in the draft, potential NFL work-stoppage) and instead is focusing on what he knows, in this case, whether his value is at it peak or not.

The gist of his comments lead me to believe he has decided to come out.

lexred
12/27/2010, 06:50 PM
When you have a big time program that attracts you are probably going to lose a lot of them as soon as they can declare for the NFL. Sort of makes redshirting questionable in alot of cases.

SoonerLB
12/27/2010, 07:01 PM
His size is an issue with NFL people, another year of maturity would be good for him, and by then the NFL lockout may be a non issue. This just doesn't seem like a good year for anyone to test the NFL waters, when rookie salary caps could be part of any changes made.

SGA
12/27/2010, 07:17 PM
His size is an issue with NFL people, another year of maturity would be good for him, and by then the NFL lockout may be a non issue. This just doesn't seem like a good year for anyone to test the NFL waters, when rookie salary caps could be part of any changes made.

all good points, but you have to understand that Broyles isn't going to really gain a whole lot by coming back. He is going to be the type of guy that is going to have to get lucky and picked up by a "system." He'd be a PERFECT fit in New England. If I am Bill, I am droooooling over Broyles. Same thing with the Colts.

As much as you all want him to come back and that fact certainly has a lot to do with your posting, he kind of has to go. He can not really prove much more at the collegiate level. He's gonna be one of those "risk" picks later in the draft that will have to prove himself. He won't sign big money, not even after next year.

What if he were to get injured next year? That question is a very valid one. Always. Year in and year out, it's a realistic question.

cvsooner
12/27/2010, 07:34 PM
I think the Rams should take him.

VA Sooner
12/27/2010, 07:37 PM
Love to have him back but I think he's done what he needed to do to prove himself. He's incredible with his routes and shaking off defenders and no one is more money than he was this season.

rekamrettuB
12/27/2010, 08:22 PM
He won't gain anything in the way of "grading out" better in the NFL but there might be less WRs going before him next year ergo a higher pick and higher signing bonus...which is the only thing guaranteed with the NFL.

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2010, 08:35 PM
Sounds like he's making sure anything that might be considered a negative which would get in the way of a good business decision or his view of what he expected from his career doesn't get in the way. Keep it simple. Address issues and keep talking positively about your future.

Spot on.

usaosooner
12/27/2010, 08:36 PM
whatever he decides I'm fine with.. Hell of a Sooner

GDC
12/27/2010, 08:38 PM
Maybe he just finally ran out of gas.

Seamus
12/27/2010, 08:43 PM
Not cool, gdc.

oudavid1
12/27/2010, 08:44 PM
!!!!Justin McCay!!!!

Another year another player! I wish him the best!

Cant wait!

Dwight
12/27/2010, 09:21 PM
retarded move if he goes pro. I can think of several WRs that get drafted higher than him, plus the potential lockout. Stay at OU=National Championship

OUEngr1990
12/27/2010, 09:29 PM
retarded move if he goes pro. I can think of several WRs that get drafted higher than him, plus the potential lockout. Stay at OU=National Championship

this

pappy
12/27/2010, 09:39 PM
Latest mock draft I saw broyles was the 1st OU player taken and he went early 3rd round in it...then murray, lewis and beal all went in the 3rd as well. I've seen murray, beal and lewis going as early as late 1st round but I haven't seen broyles any higher than the end of the 2nd round. I think that's accurate for him b/c the strength of this draft class is WR...Broyles is anywhere from 5th to 7th wr taken. If he comes back he is probably no lower than 3rd b/c alshon jefferey is only a sophomore and he will be the 1st wr taken next year and then if fuller declares from A&M he would probably go ahead of Broyles b/c of his size.

Jason
12/27/2010, 10:08 PM
I think we can find another QB who can have 253 receptions for 3,259 yards and 34 TDs.

I kid, I kid. :D

waynepayne
12/27/2010, 10:11 PM
I think we can find another QB who can have 253 receptions for 3,259 yards and 34 TDs.

I kid, I kid. :D

Well hello there stranger! :)

Jason
12/27/2010, 10:15 PM
Well hello there stranger! :)

Hey there, cutie! :)

Rocko
12/27/2010, 10:16 PM
Do they not have workouts in the NFL?

Jason
12/27/2010, 10:19 PM
Do they not have workouts in the NFL?

They aren't as hard as at OU. The NFL season is longer and tougher, so they don't want to wear you out in pre-season.

OUEngr1990
12/27/2010, 10:49 PM
I'll bet they even lift weights.

AzianSooner
12/28/2010, 12:11 AM
THe summer work-out beat-down does not make sense. Won't he be up to the top of his game by working out beating down every day when he is in NFL?

If he is tired of college work out, he won't last long in NFL where people paying you million to do few games every year.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2010, 01:44 AM
THe summer work-out beat-down does not make sense. Won't he be up to the top of his game by working out beating down every day when he is in NFL?

If he is tired of college work out, he won't last long in NFL where people paying you million to do few games every year.

He went on to say this:

“Workouts are always gonna be in our life if you’re an athlete. That’s the only thing I can see that would be a bad thing about being a fifth-year senior.”

I think Broyles was simply saying that it was tough to be excited about another year in college football when the next thing he will face is an onerous workout with Schmitty. After all, it isn't like he has Mad Dog Madden as an S&C coach.

oudavid1
12/28/2010, 03:01 AM
I will say this, at least he will be getting paid to work his tail off.

gaylordfan1
12/28/2010, 03:58 AM
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but sounds like he believes he has nothing else to prove here.

+1

Would be nice if he stays!

MrJimBeam
12/28/2010, 05:43 AM
40/60

swardboy
12/28/2010, 07:04 AM
45/60

oumartin
12/28/2010, 07:34 AM
From my source.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149811

pappy
12/28/2010, 07:46 PM
I will say this, at least he will be getting paid to work his tail off.

He already is.

Leroy Lizard
12/28/2010, 08:03 PM
He already is.

And you're a Sooner fan, right? :rolleyes:

Ban him.

oudavid1
12/28/2010, 08:36 PM
He already is.

http://royalsblog.kansascity.com/files/images/hurt.jpg

This gonna be bad.

pappy
12/29/2010, 05:16 AM
And you're a Sooner fan, right? :rolleyes:

Ban him.

I was talking about the fact that he has a full-ride scholarship...that's money right there buddy...those things aren't free.