PDA

View Full Version : Singletary out

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2010, 03:19 AM
Be wary of blowhard coaches. They're insufferable when losing and they tend to lose control of programs. I remember remarking in here that Singletary was a poor choice because of his over-the-top demeanor.

The same could happen to Florida if Will Muschamp doesn't keep his ego in control.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5958834

sooner59
12/27/2010, 03:59 AM
STOOPS TO SF!!!!!!!!!!

winout
12/27/2010, 07:43 AM
Yeah, coaches like Bill Parcell and Mike Ditka never amounted to anything.

Soonermagik
12/27/2010, 08:49 AM
I think Mike knew it was coming. He had some talent on his team, but not being able to win the weak West is grounds for him to be fired.

Had they beat the Rams yesterday he would still be the coach for a little longer. The 49ers have been down for a long time. They need to get a new QB. They have a good defense, RB, receivers, TE etc.. They just really need a QB in a bad way. I'm thinking they might look at Kevin Kolb.

BajaOklahoma
12/27/2010, 09:14 AM
Mike was doing his best Mad Clapper routine yesterday. He lost points with me.

rekamrettuB
12/27/2010, 09:18 AM
I think Mike knew it was coming. He had some talent on his team, but not being able to win the weak West is grounds for him to be fired.

Had they beat the Rams yesterday he would still be the coach for a little longer. The 49ers have been down for a long time. They need to get a new QB. They have a good defense, RB, receivers, TE etc.. They just really need a QB in a bad way. I'm thinking they might look at Kevin Kolb.

And that's something that Singletary hasn't had the luxury of. I'm not here to say he could be a great coach in the league but he was handcuffed from the get go.

OULenexaman
12/27/2010, 09:20 AM
after the sideline incident....then his press conference...I thought he wouldn't last until midnight.....he didn't.

btb916
12/27/2010, 09:42 AM
I hope Rex Ryan is next, after a loss next week and humiliation in the first round of the playoffs.

usaosooner
12/27/2010, 10:05 AM
well deserved

TUSooner
12/27/2010, 10:33 AM
It was painful to watch Singletary coach. The guy just did not look like he was in control of himself or anything else. He was in over his head.

Soonerson1975
12/27/2010, 10:39 AM

Ditka is one of the most overrated coaches in NFL history. I give Buddy Ryan more credit for that SB win than I do Ditka.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/27/2010, 10:41 AM
It was painful to watch Singletary coach. The guy just did not look like he was in control of himself or anything else. He was in over his head.

He admitted it in '86.

I'm Samurai Mike and I'm outta control. Part of the defense, big and bold."

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/27/2010, 11:03 AM
Singletary to UT

Sooner_Tuf
12/27/2010, 11:42 AM
I always thought he should have taken the Baylor job when he was offered. He is a good guy and was a fantastic player. He would have been there as long as he wanted to be.

badger
12/27/2010, 11:50 AM
He seems like a good guy, but a little bit over-the-top for some Neffel players. This type of teaching might be better suited for a college or high school level, where players don't have more power (coaches get fired if star players get benched, for example) and there aren't crazy owners to answer to.

Seeing him yell at Troy Smith during the game and hearing about the pants down halftime speech a few years back were a bit eyebrow-raising. However, I could just imagine what Troy Smith was yelling back at him... hmm...

Troy: THE Ohio State! I attended THE Ohio State, not just Ohio State, THE Ohio State!

Troy: Didn't anyone tell you that I won a Heisman at THE Ohio State! HEISMAN!

Troy: I want a "T" on the back of my jersey - no more mixing me up with the lesser Smith - you have an A Smith that sucks and a T Smith that wins. T=Win. A=Sucks!

:rolleyes: I so wish that moment was miked.

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2010, 03:10 PM

Ditka imploded in New Orleans, and his ego had a lot do to with it. His success in Chicago was largely due to Buddy Ryan.

silverwheels
12/27/2010, 03:17 PM
I think he's better off as a DC. Then again, it's hard to win a lot of games with Alex and Troy Smith at QB.

oumartin
12/27/2010, 03:25 PM
I think he's better off as a DC. Then again, it's hard to win a lot of games with Alex and Troy Smith at QB.

what evidence do you have to back up this statement? He's never even been a DC

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2010, 03:26 PM

He was a famous player who shoots his mouth off all the time. He has to be good.

Baylor would be wise to steer clear of the likes of Mike Singletary.

silverwheels
12/27/2010, 03:27 PM

I never said he has been a DC. I just think he would make a better DC than a head coach.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/27/2010, 03:30 PM
Leroy, how are you green???

OUthunder
12/27/2010, 03:37 PM
I was really rooting for him, but he just doesn't relate to the spoiled, wealthy, pampered, NFL player. It's just not in his DNA.

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2010, 03:50 PM
Leroy, how are you green???

Gaze on it while you can. :)

Let's just say that I argue with many in here that are rather unpopular.

badger
12/27/2010, 03:51 PM
I was really rooting for him, but he just doesn't relate to the spoiled, wealthy, pampered, NFL player. It's just not in his DNA.

Singletary's in the Hall of Fame, but never made a fraction of what the brats in today's NFL make straight outta college who will never sniff the Hall of Fame. But, something tells me Singletary doesn't give an eff about the money... and if he does, he had two years (and one game) left on his contract that'll get paid out.

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2010, 04:11 PM

That's not his problem.

The cult-o-personality coach who wills his team to win by bombastic speeches is a dying breed. Singletary simply cannot relate to the modern coaching approaches that build smooth, efficient machines. The players on the NE Patriots are just as wealthy and spoiled, and yet they somehow manage to play well as a team.

Coaching, like big business, is into building teamwork. Could you see Stoops pulling down his pants in the locker room to make a point?

I don't think Singletary would pan out at the college level any better, to be honest.

BoulderSooner79
12/27/2010, 04:16 PM
On the surface, this looks like a great job for the next guy if he can score a top notch QB.

badger
12/27/2010, 04:39 PM
On the surface, this looks like a great job for the next guy if he can score a top notch QB.

I hear Donovan McNabb is looking for a new jorb :D

He might not be top notch, but I think he got a raw deal in Philly and Warsh.

Matt Flynn showed promise in his first start in the Neffel last week. Nearly led an injury-depleted Packers against almighty New England on the road!

Those are the two that come to mind right away. I think some marginal success could be had with either of them and at this point, that's all that's needed to contend in the West division (sorry Sammie, but the West sucks right now).

If a coach had a crapload of patience, they could try to coach Jamarkus back to playing shape to give him an absolute final shot at a pro career, or grab Matt Leinart to cater to the local SC fanbase and give him a chance at the pro career he pictured, or Brady Quinn a chance to capture some of the Domer lore, but it might be an ultra stab to any of their egos to accept close-to-NFL-minimum, which is what each of those three is worth right now and should not be picked up for any more than that.

What would really help one of those guys succeed is hiring a recently-retired QB to coach and be a mentor... Kurt Warner comes to mind immediately. But, since it's San Fran, it might be best to go with either Steve Young or Joe Montana if either are up for that job. An endorsement by either of those guys would be all the fans need to love their new QB.

NorCal Sooner
12/27/2010, 04:43 PM

Living in the SF bay Area and watching niner games all of the time, I never had the feeling Singletary knew what was going on much of the time. He may know a lot about playing linebacker, but was really a poor head coach. You never would have seen that confused deer in the headlights look on the face of Bill Walsh. That's a tough comparison but Walsh in the benchmark for niner fans.

rekamrettuB
12/27/2010, 04:53 PM
I think Tom Coughlin will be right behind Singletary in the unemployment line.

cyclonesooner
12/27/2010, 04:54 PM
Never thought of Singletary as a NFL head coach. He'll learn from this setback. I think he would be better suited for the college game or NFL def. coordinator.

badger
12/27/2010, 04:58 PM
That's a tough comparison but Walsh in the benchmark for niner fans.

Steve Marry-oooo-chee :D

OUthunder
12/27/2010, 06:16 PM
Gaze on it while you can. :)

Let's just say that I argue with many in here that are rather unpopular.

Dang, there are some folks that are really fascinated and dedicated to keeping you red, lol.

2121Sooner
12/27/2010, 06:20 PM
Be wary of blowhard coaches. They're insufferable when losing and they tend to lose control of programs. I remember remarking in here that Singletary was a poor choice because of his over-the-top demeanor.

This too was Tom Landry's undoing.

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2010, 08:18 PM
Dang, there are some folks that are really obsessed to keeping you red, lol.

FIFY.

Let's just say that someone actually spends a good portion of his day red negging every post of mine. Kinda' pathetic if you think about it.

Leroy Lizard
12/27/2010, 08:19 PM
This too was Tom Landry's undoing.

Yeah, I had hard time putting up with Landry's sideline shenanigans. The day he flipped off the crowd was too much. I mean, coaches have done that before, but with both hands?

BoulderSooner79
12/27/2010, 10:50 PM
If a coach had a crapload of patience, they could try to coach Jamarkus back to playing shape to give him an absolute final shot at a pro career, or grab Matt Leinart to cater to the local SC fanbase and give him a chance at the pro career he pictured, or Brady Quinn a chance to capture some of the Domer lore

Badj, are you lobbying to keep the niners in the cellar forever? ;) (Hmmm, a cheesehead might say yes). *Maybe* Leinart could workout somewhere, but Quinn just doesn't have it and Jamarkus needs a reset as a backup to prove he can work and not do the purple drank.

Cam Newton to the niners?

badger
12/27/2010, 11:03 PM
No, not trying to sink the Niners (at least on consciously... perhaps subconsciously???) but everyone who's a starter elsewhere probably won't move to San Fran, so I'm trying to think of anyone who might go there that isn't a starter.

And yeah, the draft might be the only way to not end up with a Tebow, Brady, Lionfart, Jarmarky type.