PDA

View Full Version : The Hook and Lateral

agoo758
12/27/2010, 12:27 AM
That is what it is called. It is NOT called the "Hook and ladder" :mad: . Thank you. Still love you guys. Carry on.:D

SCOUT
12/27/2010, 12:31 AM
Is it shuttle or shovel pass?

agoo758
12/27/2010, 12:32 AM

That's another one of my pet peeves, my dad calls it a "shuffle pass".:P

85sooners
12/27/2010, 12:32 AM
:gary:

agoo758
12/27/2010, 12:33 AM
:gary:

I've seen alot of this icon this week. I am going to have nightmares tonight.

olevetonahill
12/27/2010, 12:35 AM
You say Pa tay toe I say Tater
you say To Mah toe I say mater

Actually dumas it can be called either way ;) So dont be a prick

From Wiki

"Hook and ladder" redirects here. For other uses, see Hook and ladder (disambiguation).

The hook and lateral or hook and ladder is a trick play in American or Canadian football. It starts with the hook, which is where a wide receiver runs a predetermined distance, usually 10 yards down the field, and along the sideline, and "hooks in" towards the center of the field to receive a forward pass from the quarterback. Another offensive player (usually another wide receiver) times a run so that he is at full speed, just behind the player with the ball at the time of the catch. As the defenders close in on the stationary ball carrier, he laterals or hands the ball to the teammate running at full speed in the opposite direction of the original receiver.

olevetonahill
12/27/2010, 12:36 AM

That's another one of my pet peeves, my dad calls it a "shuffle pass".:P

And again any of em are right, :rolleyes:

agoo758
12/27/2010, 12:37 AM

From Wiki

"Hook and ladder" redirects here. For other uses, see Hook and ladder (disambiguation).

With the God of all Sources, wikipedia, contradicting me, I have no choice but to conceed. Still, hook and latter make sense, its a quick hook pattern followed by a lateral to a fellow player. I have never heard of anyone "laddering" the ball.:pop:

olevetonahill
12/27/2010, 12:40 AM
Just sayin any of em are correct

olevetonahill
12/27/2010, 12:42 AM
This from this site
The play was originally (and still is occasionally) called the “hook and lateral.”

http://www.howcast.com/videos/217146-How-To-Hook-and-Ladder

Curly Bill
12/27/2010, 12:44 AM
It's been called the hook and ladder forever. Forget if it technically makes sense - it's sports we're talking about, not engineering so it doesn't have to make sense.

agoo758
12/27/2010, 12:46 AM
It's been called the hook and ladder forever. Forget if it technically makes sense - it's sports we're talking about, not engineering so it doesn't have to make sense.

May I start calling the forward pass cat-tit-bingo?:eek:

olevetonahill
12/27/2010, 12:47 AM

Yup, Spek Bro

olevetonahill
12/27/2010, 12:49 AM

Now yer just being stupid :rolleyes:

Jason
12/27/2010, 12:51 AM
Waiting for Leroy to tell you you're all wrong.

agoo758
12/27/2010, 12:51 AM
Now yer just being stupid :rolleyes:

It is called using an extremity to make your point, I was intending to sound a little ridiculous in order to argue my side. In any point, this is a tongue-and-cheek thread to begin with. Just having a little fun. :)

Curly Bill
12/27/2010, 12:56 AM

Sure, but it doesn't have the history behind it that the hook and ladder does, so good luck on that catching on.

agoo758
12/27/2010, 12:58 AM
Sure, but it doesn't have the history behind it that the hook and ladder does, so good luck on that catching on.

Well, just damn. Worth a shot anyway/

Frozen Sooner
12/27/2010, 12:59 AM
Also, I wish they'd start calling the "Hold the ball behind my back like I'm pissing off my dog" play by it's true name. I don't see a giant copper statue anywhere on the field.

Curly Bill
12/27/2010, 01:02 AM
...and the Flea Flicker? Sure, some of those guys are nasty, but I don't see fleas anywhere. Nor have I ever seen a flea flick anything.

jumperstop
12/27/2010, 01:05 AM
More importantly I wish I could see this play run without mention of BSU's use of it against OU.

sooner59
12/27/2010, 01:10 AM
Its been called the hook-and-ladder as long as I can remember. Yes, technically speaking, its a hook route followed by a lateral. But that wouldn't have been as interesting to try to sign out in Varsity Blues either. Who would even care about something like that anyway? Besides, "ladder" is short for "lateral", which is why people call it that.

Maybe instead of a skinny post route, we should strictly call it "the run directly 90 degrees for 15 yards, then proceed toward the endzone at an angle greater than 45 degrees, but less than 90 degrees, possibly leaning toward being closer to 90 degrees than 45 degrees" play. :rolleyes:

budbarrybob
12/27/2010, 03:07 AM
* knows not of this play...

PLaw
12/27/2010, 08:51 AM

From Wiki

The hook and lateral or hook and ladder is a trick play in American or Canadian football. It starts with the hook, which is where a wide receiver runs a predetermined distance, usually 10 yards down the field, and along the sideline, and "hooks in" towards the center of the field to receive a forward pass from the quarterback. Another offensive player (usually another wide receiver) times a run so that he is at full speed, just behind the player with the ball at the time of the catch. As the defenders close in on the stationary ball carrier, he laterals or hands the ball to the teammate running at full speed in the opposite direction of the original receiver.

And the greatest one ever executed was by OU against fsu in the OB, period. Forget that shat down in glendale.

BOOMER

49r
12/27/2010, 10:25 AM
This is what I think of first when I hear them talk about Hook and Ladder:

http://www.gcvfd.com/apparatus/apparatus_images/5211.jpg

I prefer to call the football play "Hook and Lateral" myself, but it doesn't get my undies in a wad if they refer to it a different way. Heck, they could call it the hindertoss play and I'd be all whatever.

Dio
12/27/2010, 10:40 AM

"I have nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?"

Tulsa_Fireman
12/27/2010, 10:44 AM
I call it Steve.

E-Town
12/27/2010, 10:49 AM
This gets my vote.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll122/e-town_/hookandladder.jpg

When I was young I remember it being called Hook & Ladder. :)

olevetonahill
12/27/2010, 10:59 AM
I call it Steve.

I call it " **** you Boise";)

jdd12
12/27/2010, 11:26 AM
I call it " **** you Boise";)

this times a brazilian

LRoss
12/27/2010, 11:51 AM
This is probably obvious to most of us, but the reason some of us remember it as the "hook and ladder" is because we were hearing the word and not reading it, and "ladder" and "latter" (short for "latteral") sound exactly the same from most people, and since "latter" wasn't by itself a recognizable word, we would have assumed it was "ladder" whether or not it made sense. Our being wrong, however -- and it's now common mis-useage -- doesn't change that it was/is/should be "latter".

But I'm admittedly anal, so there's that.

Language changes, and what was, for instance, originally "spirit and image" is now commonly "spittin' image" which doesn't make sense but has come to be correct in modern English. It's just how language works -- when something becomes common enough, it gets accepted and goes from incorrect to correct over a period of time. People such as myself and the OP don't like it. Maybe this is a little bit the same.

badger
12/27/2010, 12:37 PM
This is a cool thread topic, because football is so unfamiliar to most of the world and thus, is open for tons of confusion.

So, here's a few more trivia facts:

Cleveland Browns are named for a coach, NOT the color. That's why their helmets are allowed to be orange.

"Sooners" are NOT land thieves, just early shoppers.

The Big 12 will have 10 teams next season, the Pac 10 will become the Pac 12, the Big Ten currently has 11 teams and will have 12 next season. Don't ask, just follow along.

Adrian Peterson is AD, not AP. He should NEVER be referred to as "Purple Jesus" nor any other crappy nicknames issued to him by media. His daddy calls him AD/All Day, and Adrian loves his daddy, so respect daddy's nickname!

StoopTroup
12/27/2010, 12:52 PM
This is what I think of first when I hear them talk about Hook and Ladder:

http://www.gcvfd.com/apparatus/apparatus_images/5211.jpg

I prefer to call the football play "Hook and Lateral" myself, but it doesn't get my undies in a wad if they refer to it a different way. Heck, they could call it the hindertoss play and I'd be all whatever.

Well.....I always figured they called it the Hook and Ladder because when you used it it was because you are running out of time and need to get that baby (Football) down from that burning building (Scoreboard) and to a safe place (The endzone) so that you'd make the front page of the newpaper for saving the baby (The Game) in the next edition. In other words....it's an emergency trick play that you save for when you're in deep ****....just like Boise was. Thing is....it isn't a new play and Bob and our Defense that year should have been able to chop out the ladder from underneath the Boise Fire Dept. that sad day. Instead...we have to endure the greatness that was....The Underdog Boise State. For me....they played well and they got lucky and more than once that day. Our offense put enough points up to win and our Defense let us down. As we saw again this year....Boise does indeed have a decent Team....but no way they should play for a MNC unless the other Teams in that Conference start to play and beat some top notch programs on their Schedules too.

Hook and Ladder was always a "Pull the Fire Alarm" play as far as I know.

swardboy
12/27/2010, 12:58 PM
My favorite play was "88 and Out the Gate", which signaled practice was over. :D

Jacie
12/27/2010, 02:37 PM
So is it alright to call a formation the Sooners ran when Leach was OC the ninjee?

sooner59
12/27/2010, 03:00 PM
This is my favorite Hook and Ladder. Firehouse FTW!

http://www.eatdrinkdeals.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/firehouse.jpg

StoopTroup
12/27/2010, 05:52 PM
Damn....I'm hungry now.

birddog
12/28/2010, 09:05 AM
let us merge this thread with the others over the years so the football purists around here can use the proper terminology at all times. cause it's really important!!

pphilfran
12/28/2010, 10:24 AM

Utah...

texaspokieokie
12/28/2010, 10:46 AM
for whom were the St.Louis Browns named ??