PDA

View Full Version : Men's bball recruits

Soonerjeepman
12/26/2010, 05:12 PM
guess OU is still on Perry Ellis's list out of Wichita Heights...made his final 6...but THIS review is not good...the only school worse is MU because they have NO early guys...ugh~

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5813504

StoopTroup
12/26/2010, 05:23 PM
I know recruiting must take place but it's hard to believe anyone would want to come here until we get a new HC. Joe Castiglione should fire Jeff right before the Baylor Game on February 1 IMO. I'm betting it will at least happen after the KU Game 2-26-11.

Adrian
12/26/2010, 06:45 PM
guess OU is still on Perry Ellis's list out of Wichita Heights...made his final 6...but THIS review is not good...the only school worse is MU because they have NO early guys...ugh~

OU is still in on Perry officially, but a recent pic on OU Hoops shows him behind the KU bench, celebrating KU's win over USC...

Soonerjeepman
12/26/2010, 06:48 PM
OU is still in on Perry officially, but a recent pic on OU Hoops shows him behind the KU bench, celebrating KU's win over USC...

oh I'm sure it's a formality...(OU being on his list...)

Soonerjeepman
12/26/2010, 06:50 PM
I know recruiting must take place but it's hard to believe anyone would want to come here until we get a new HC. Joe Castiglione should fire Jeff right before the Baylor Game on February 1 IMO. I'm betting it will at least happen after the KU Game 2-26-11.

agreed...about recruits...not sure about the firing...we'll see...(not saying it should or shouldn't or won't happen..) I'd rather see a "parting of ways"...less ugly but still gets the objective done.

yankee
12/26/2010, 06:53 PM

Well, that article is about 2011 guys. Ellis is a 2012 guy. Just sayin'...We need some help at the guard spot for 2011. With Goff coming in and Osby eligible to play after this redshirt year, our post positions will be much deeper and more talented than they currently are. But we're gonna need help at shooting guard since Cade is graduating, TJ Taylor left, and Pledger is still inconsistent. Also would be nice to get a PG who doesn't panic when half or full court pressure is applied.

So I think we got 1 more schollie available for 2011, maybe 2 more if Ahmed is off the team. I think that status changes weekly.

Soonrs
12/27/2010, 11:14 AM
Capel won't be in Norman in 2012 unless he is still trying to sell his house.

Soonerjeepman
12/27/2010, 06:04 PM
Well, that article is about 2011 guys. Ellis is a 2012 guy. Just sayin'...

understand...just comparing OU's '11 class to the other Big12 schools...ouch:(

and wanted to point out that Ellis still has OU on the list..but it's a long stretch he'll come, imho.

badger
12/27/2010, 06:50 PM
Serious question guys - has Joe C. EVER fired a coach in the middle of a season?

I just don't see it happening guys, because it's never happened before (right?)

Soonerjeepman
12/28/2010, 09:23 AM
I don't think Joe C has done that, not here. Now was he at mu when dipwad was the bball coach?

I doubt it happens...I think he rides it out til the end of this year...sure OU tanks the Big12 (which I really doubt we win more than 2-4 games at BEST) there will be lots of questions thrown at him throughout the season.

oumartin
12/28/2010, 10:17 AM
I don't think Joe C has done that, not here. Now was he at mu when dipwad was the bball coach?

I doubt it happens...I think he rides it out til the end of this year...sure OU tanks the Big12 (which I really doubt we win more than 2-4 games at BEST) there will be lots of questions thrown at him throughout the season.

if you are referring to Quinn Snyder, Joe C. was already at OU by then.

badger
12/28/2010, 10:22 AM
if you are referring to Quinn Snyder, Joe C. was already at OU by then.

Oh yeah! Remember us beating Mizzou en route to the Final Four that year? That was Quinn's best year - his Elite Eight year - the contract extension earning year!

:( near knew that would be similar to our own duke hire.

Mjcpr
12/28/2010, 10:36 AM
Ralph Lauren is taking a visit.

stoopified
12/28/2010, 12:48 PM
Capel will be here next season,bank on it.Apparently everyone around here forgets something that is known nationally,Capel can coach.Did everyone miss his gold medal team this summer? Don't give me that,anyone could win with that talent crap either;there are numerous examples of talented American teams getting whipped because their coach couldn't create a team out of all star talent.What THE SKY IS FALLING crowd also forgets is it only takes ONE PLAYER to turn a team around.This ain't football and Bkake this is basketball and Capel.Apparently the administration and I are the only ones who still have faith in Capel.

OU_Sooners75
12/28/2010, 05:48 PM
Capel will be here next season,bank on it.Apparently everyone around here forgets something that is known nationally,Capel can coach.Did everyone miss his gold medal team this summer? Don't give me that,anyone could win with that talent crap either;there are numerous examples of talented American teams getting whipped because their coach couldn't create a team out of all star talent.What THE SKY IS FALLING crowd also forgets is it only takes ONE PLAYER to turn a team around.This ain't football and Bkake this is basketball and Capel.Apparently the administration and I are the only ones who still have faith in Capel.

Let me ask you this then....

What faith do you have in Capel? Where is it at?

Since his arrival, we had two good years....and both those seasons were due because we had Blake Griffin on our team. Without him, we have not had very good seasons. And it seems every year since Griffin went to the NBA, we have gotten worse.

It is not about coaching...because we have seen him coach. It is about his ability to recruit student athletes that have great character and integrity and talent. And he has been unable to do that.

Sure, he has players with great talent. Sure he has brought in players with good integrity and character. However, he has not brought in any player with the entire package.

And before you mention Blake Griffin, well, we were destined to get him thanks to Taylor being at OU...not because of Jeff Capel.

Now, his coaching.
2006-2007 (Capel's first season): 16-15
2007-2008 (First year of Blake): 23-12
2008-2009 (Blake's final season): 30-6
2009-2010 (3 McD AA): 13-18
2010-2011: 7-6 (capped so far with a loss to D2 Chaminade)

After 1-3-2011, it would not surprise me to see the Sooners loss every game in conference play. At best 4 conference wins.

We are staring at one of the worst seasons in the history of OU Basketball. IMHO, as it stands now we are looking at what appears to be a 13-18 at best. At worst we are looking at an 9-22 season.

If the guy can coach, we should not have lost to Chaminade, we should not be struggling to beat the cupcake schools.

If the worst of what I said record wise happens, then Capel should be fired. However, if he does the 13-18 record again, I think he should be given one more season to right this sunken ship. If he cannot, then I think he should not be here past Christmas break of 2011.

With that said, it is very frustrating to see so many people okay with mediocrity or worse in basketball.

Historically, we have been a top 20 program. Since Capel's arrival, we have been a bonafide cupcake!

okienole3
12/28/2010, 06:18 PM
What does the gold medal have to do with anything?

Harry Beanbag
12/28/2010, 06:36 PM
Gianni Versace will not be taking a visit.

Eielson
12/28/2010, 08:36 PM
What does the gold medal have to do with anything?

He was the coach?

LiveLaughLove
12/28/2010, 08:37 PM

I haven't seen good coaching since he has coached at OU personally.

Guys not hustling for loose balls, lousy inbounds plays on our part, great ones on opponents parts, no offense to speak of (still don't know what it is beyond pass it around the perimeter until the clock runs down and jack one), lousy substituting, awful technicals at really bad times, horrid recruiting based on character.

Sorry, but I just don't agree at all. I'm no expert, just someone that played through high school, so I am sure I can be wrong. I just don't see it.

Watch Blake and tell me that OU OVER achieved during his time here. I don't think so. Tell me which games we have won, because of great coaching. I don't know of one. I know of several during the previous coaches time here. I know of some during Billy's days, and a few during Bliss' days.

OU used to be a top 25 program, and always should be. It is shocking how quickly we have fallen into complete mediocrity. That falls squarely on this coaches shoulders, and the guy that hired him. The guy that hired him gets a mulligan (although between this and the conference fiasco he is using them quickly). This coach hasn't done anything to warrant one.

Adrian
12/28/2010, 09:54 PM
OU has offered 6'2" 185 lb PG Elijah Carter out of Brewster Academy in New Hampshire. He is class of 2011. Originally committed to Saint Bonaventure, he is a shooting guard playing the point guard position. He is unstoppable on his first move, even up to having a 54 point game already. He is being recruited by a plethora of schools. Nice use of plethora, huh?

Crimsontothecore
12/29/2010, 07:51 AM
I just can't get excited about any recruits we sign in bball for two reasons:

#1 If they are any good there is about a 95% chance they leave.

#2 There is a 100% chance they will be coached poorly.

Sorry Stoopified, but saying Capel is a good coach is simply wishful thinking.

birddog
12/29/2010, 09:19 AM
haven't seen a team this ugly since calvin had 5 dudes on the roster in '05(?)

Soonerjeepman
1/6/2011, 01:41 PM
OU has offered 6'2" 185 lb PG Elijah Carter out of Brewster Academy in New Hampshire. He is class of 2011. Originally committed to Saint Bonaventure, he is a shooting guard playing the point guard position. He is unstoppable on his first move, even up to having a 54 point game already. He is being recruited by a plethora of schools. Nice use of plethora, huh?

don't know the kid...maybe he is a late bloomer...but we are now recruiting AGAINST St. Bonie? I know they have that..."Princeton rep" knock off an occasional big boy..but it's gotten that bad?

who else is he being RECRUITED by..not just looked at..?

sooner518
1/6/2011, 01:47 PM
don't know the kid...maybe he is a late bloomer...but we are now recruiting AGAINST St. Bonie? I know they have that..."Princeton rep" knock off an occasional big boy..but it's gotten that bad?

who else is he being RECRUITED by..not just looked at..?

according to his rivals page, he has offers from UCLA, Wake Forest, Seton Hall, among others, and has interest from Butler and G-Tech.

Not a top-tier group, but not abhorrent.

mgsooner
1/6/2011, 02:12 PM
haven't seen a team this ugly since calvin had 5 dudes on the roster in '05(?)

That team would beat this team by 20.

Soonerjeepman
1/6/2011, 06:26 PM
according to his rivals page, he has offers from UCLA, Wake Forest, Seton Hall, among others, and has interest from Butler and G-Tech.

Not a top-tier group, but not abhorrent.

oh, not bad...and I don't expect at this point to go against KU, Duke, etc...and I've never been a we NEED a McDonald's AA...type of guy....

Soonerwake
1/7/2011, 04:27 PM
Serious question guys - has Joe C. EVER fired a coach in the middle of a season?

I just don't see it happening guys, because it's never happened before (right?)

Has Joe C fired anyone?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/15/2011, 06:13 PM
Well the good news is we are a young team so we will return a lot of players.

The bad news is we are a young team so we will return a lot of players.

I certainly am questioning right now just how good a coach that Capel is but with the lack of talent we have right now the top prospect that we are after we are competing for St Bonaventure for then that is indictment enough.

We may not get getting the 5-star McDonald's all american guys again anytime soon but we NEED 2-3 top 100 caliber prospects. Right now 1/2 our roster are guys that normally would be playing at mid-major level programs.

Soonerjeepman
1/17/2011, 05:48 PM
Well the good news is we are a young team so we will return a lot of players.

The bad news is we are a young team so we will return a lot of players.

I certainly am questioning right now just how good a coach that Capel is but with the lack of talent we have right now the top prospect that we are after we are competing for St Bonaventure for then that is indictment enough.

We may not get getting the 5-star McDonald's all american guys again anytime soon but we NEED 2-3 top 100 caliber prospects. Right now 1/2 our roster are guys that normally would be playing at mid-major level programs.

agree 100%

stoopified
1/28/2011, 01:55 PM
I just can't get excited about any recruits we sign in bball for two reasons:

#1 If they are any good there is about a 95% chance they leave.

#2 There is a 100% chance they will be coached poorly.

Sorry Stoopified, but saying Capel is a good coach is simply wishful thinking. Based on what? One bad season?He has been a coach for 8+ seasons,he has had 1 bad season.If he can't coach how has he managed to win 171 games? He won because of Blake? Newsflash- Tubbs won because of Tisdale,Kennedy,King,Blaylock etc.Sampson won because Of Brewer,Najera,Bookout,Minor,etc.

badger
1/28/2011, 02:32 PM
Sounds like I need to add a recruiting thing in the next poll... hey, it's almost February! I'll do another in February

LiveLaughLove
1/28/2011, 02:53 PM
Based on what? One bad season?He has been a coach for 8+ seasons,he has had 1 bad season.If he can't coach how has he managed to win 171 games? He won because of Blake? Newsflash- Tubbs won because of Tisdale,Kennedy,King,Blaylock etc.Sampson won because Of Brewer,Najera,Bookout,Minor,etc.

So if you transposed the coaches, do you believe the records would be the same, worse, or better with Capel coaching Billy and Sampsons teams, and vice versa?

I see him being way behind those two in any scenario. Way behind.

WichitaSooner
1/28/2011, 04:20 PM
Capel just signed an extension... So even IF Joe wanted to get rid of him (which I SERIOUSLY doubt) he couldn't... because he can't afford it. And why can't he afford it???? Because all the lousy fans that are so quick to want him fired AREN'T going to the games anyway.

So, don't worry you hypocrites... he'll be back next year so you can complain from your couch then too.

Keller Sooner
1/28/2011, 06:07 PM
Sic 'em Wichita. :)