PDA

View Full Version : The one who holds the note...

Okla-homey
12/24/2010, 12:49 PM
on our economy, you know, the US's banker, doesn't care much for the rights of people who oppose the regime.

China bars political dissident access to lawyers
Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:03am GMT
By Sui-Lee Wee

BEIJING (Reuters) - One of China's most prominent human rights advocates, who was charged in June for subversion, has been denied access to his lawyers, a move that rights activists say sets the stage for a hasty and covert trial.

Liu Xianbin, 42, was charged with "incitement to subvert state power" for his articles that included his reflections on the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests and this year's Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo's arrest, Liu Xianbin's wife, Chen Mingxian, told Reuters by telephone.

The move to deny Liu Xianbin legal representation comes just as China has come under pressure from the international community for its human rights record, most recently for its harsh punishment of the Nobel laureate.

China, which jailed Liu Xiaobo for 11 years last year for "incitement to subvert state power," has called the Nobel award a "political farce."

Almost one year to the date that the Chinese government jailed Liu Xiaobo, many Chinese dissidents who have been charged in highly sensitive cases involving state secrets or subversion charges have been languishing in legal limbo as it is not unusual for authorities to severely curtail access to lawyers or family members.

One of Liu Xianbin's lawyers, Mo Shaoping, said he had not been allowed to see Liu, who has been held in a detention centre in Suining prefecture in the southwestern province of Sichuan since June 28.

His other lawyer, Ma Xiaopeng, said he last saw Liu on Nov 5, but has since been barred from meeting the dissident, adding that he has tried to call Liu, but no one answered the telephone.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/24/2010, 01:21 PM
And, you continue to not make the connection of all this to the democrat party. You must be happy, or OK with the above.

yermom
12/24/2010, 01:25 PM
can't we blame Nixon for most of this?

but really, the Chinese seemed to blossom under W more than any other time i can think of

12/24/2010, 01:34 PM
You boy Clinton brought them into US domestic politics in a big way. Beary-O, Nancy and Harry have made our country a Chinese satellite.

StoopTroup
12/24/2010, 02:19 PM
W really tired to open a lot of doors with China.

SHjIb6trxBI

JohnnyMack
12/24/2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah and W being all cozy with the house of Saud was a great look at how much he cares about human rights.

12/24/2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah and W being all cozy with the house of Saud was a great look at how much he cares about human rights.haha, that W was such a tyrant.

rainiersooner
12/24/2010, 03:03 PM
What is wrong with China owning US treasury securities?

cccasooner2
12/24/2010, 03:08 PM
Maybe it would work if Xianbin went Shaoping instead of Shaoping going to the Liu.