PDA

View Full Version : Dupree Article in the Oklahoman

PLaw
12/24/2010, 10:09 AM
ESPN documentary helps restore Marcus Dupree's connection to Oklahoma

By Berry Tramel Oklahoman 20
Published: December 23, 2010

NORMAN — Lisa DeBolt hurried through the door of the Cricket Wireless store on East Alameda Street this week, seven minutes late but thrilled to find her prey.

Former Sooner assistant coach Bobby Proctor surprises former University of Oklahoma (OU) football standout Marcus Dupree as he signs autographs on Tuesday, December 21, 2010, in Norman, Okla. Photo by Steve Sisney, The Oklahoman

Dupree, late for an appointment himself after a two-hour autograph session, gladly signed two footballs for DeBolt. She was the last of a string of Sooner fans who had come to see a mythical man.

ESPN's November premiere of “The Best That Never Was,” a documentary about Dupree's abbreviated career that was part of the network's vaunted 30 for 30 series, did more than revive the legend of Marcus Dupree.

It restored his connection to Oklahoma.

Sooner fans have forgiven Dupree for high-tailing it back to Mississippi in 1983. Forgiven him for all those touchdowns not scored, all those yards not gained.

The film warmed Sooner hearts, not for what could have been, but for what was.

In Oklahoma, “The Best That Never Was” doesn't fit. Because Dupree was here. He did score all those majestic cross-country touchdowns. The film stoked memories not of what the Sooners lost when Dupree quit the team in mid-1983, but what the Sooners had in that magical 1982 season.

Fans tell Dupree they loved the film. Loved the high school highlights of him running roughshod over Mississippi football fields. Tell him he's their new all-time favorite tailback.

“It's overwhelming,” Dupree said.

Dupree has temporarily relocated to Oklahoma for a series of public appearances through the holidays and says he's thinking about moving back permanently.

“My goal is to sign an autograph for every fan I never got to meet when I was in school,” Dupree said.

That quote looks bombastic in print. Don't take it that way. He said it humbly. Dupree seems now the same way he was in the film.

The same way he was an 18-year-old tailback in October 1982, when he took Oklahoma and college football by storm.

Quiet. Down to Earth. Amazed at all the fuss. Amazed that Nick DeBolt would hear on the radio about Dupree's Cricket appearance, call his mom and beg her to hurry to get an autograph.

“He's so friendly, just like a big teddy bear,” said former OU assistant coach Bobby Proctor, who stopped by the store to chat with Dupree.

Proctor encouraged Dupree to move back to Oklahoma. “Lots of people here would love to help you,” Proctor told him.

Dupree doesn't seem to have a bitter bone in his body. Look at it this way. Barry Switzer, maybe the greatest players' coach football ever has seen, admits he mishandled no player like he mishandled the sensitive Dupree. Yet Dupree still embraces Switzer.

“I still love Coach Switzer,” Dupree said.

That's why he came to OU in the first place. “I liked his swagger,” Dupree said. “The way he did interviews. He had good teams, good players.”

The 2010 Sooners are headed to the Fiesta Bowl. In the 1982 season Fiesta Bowl, Dupree rushed for 239 yards against Arizona State, but that wasn't enough for Switzer, who pointed out that if Dupree had been in shape, he could have run for 400 yards.

Nonsense, Dupree says today. “I should have had 500 yards.”

What would Dupree tell an 18-year-old hotshot running back who is confused and doesn't know what to do?

Said the man who once fit that exact description: “Tell him to come to Oklahoma.”

Dupree lives with regrets. He said on the film and he says on East Alameda, he should have stayed at OU.

“First of all, I could have gotten my degree,” Dupree said. “Second of all, I could have won the Heisman Trophy. Third of all, I could have won two national championships.

“That's the reason I came to Oklahoma, to do all those things.”

Those things didn't happen. But now perhaps Dupree can come back to Oklahoma and find something just as good.

Peace. Roots. Cheers. Lots of cheers. He's heard them before in Oklahoma. He's hearing them again.

Berry Tramel: Berry can be reached at (405) 760-8080 or at [email protected]. He can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including AM-640 and FM-98.1. You can also view his personality page at newsok.com/berrytramel.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````
The article screams three things to me:

1) What if freshman had been ineligible back in '82? Would Marcus' life had been different? 30 for 30 showed Marcus had a poor work ethic early in his life - his God given talent and superhuman abilities allowed him to excel early, but when he really got coached for the first time to develop his full potential he didn't understand how to handle it.

2) I wonder what Switzer wishes he had done differently? I remember watching pre-season practice in the fall of '83 and seeing Marcus standing by Barry while the other backs ran drills. Marcus was not in shape, but an out of shape Marcus Dupree was still the best back in college football, period. Being out of shape, ultimately led to his injuries and ended his career.

3) Okies are great! Once a SOONER, always a SOONER. They like to talk about the family down at thug U and how former players influence the current team. However, it doesn't compare to what the SOONER NATION will do for a former player down on his luck. Good to see Proctor still hanging around.

And, one more - Once a school offers a scholarship to a kid, then that education opportunity should be there for the life of the athlete to the extent of paying for tuition, books, and fees.

BOOMER

olevetonahill
12/24/2010, 10:31 AM
By airing that episode ESPN may have done us a Great Favor. Just think of the Recruiting Boost this will give us ;)

redkid
12/24/2010, 11:31 AM
Marcus's biggest problem was Ken Farley or whatever his name is,,if not for him I think Marcus would have stayed at OU and achieved all the things he missed out on,,just a thought,,,

itsok
12/24/2010, 11:35 AM
olevitonahil, great point about recruiting
i saw the documentary and was blown away...it was a great piece of work...
and i took away that dupree was a good guy, just made bad choices back then
he paid the price more than anybody in that story-

redkid
12/24/2010, 11:37 AM
Also as PLaw stated:
"Once a school offers a scholarship to a kid, then that education opportunity should be there for the life of the athlete to the extent of paying for tuition, books, and fees".

How About a fund drive for Marcus to return back to OU and get his degree,,your never to old to get an education.

StoopTroup
12/24/2010, 11:40 AM
Talked with Billy about the Show a bit Wednesday. It's amazing to hear him talk of his memories of all that. One thing is for sure...we all saw Marcus do some amazing things and even Billy acknowledges that. Will every tale of the past be told....I hope not. I do think it's really good to see this turn out positively for Marcus. You could almost sense through talking with Billy that he was not only proud of Marcus but that he has a friend in him....a Friend who now truly accepts that he is also a part of the Great Sooner Nation and it's history. Nothing will ever change all that.

BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

soonervegas
12/24/2010, 11:42 AM
I can't wait for the 50 for 50 with Bomar.

I kid I kid.....

redkid
12/24/2010, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=StoopTroup;3094011]Talked with Billy about the Show a bit Wednesday. It's amazing to hear him talk of his memories of all that. One thing is for sure...we all saw Marcus do some amazing things and even Billy acknowledges that. Will every tale of the past be told....I hope not. I do think it's really good to see this turn out positively for Marcus. You could almost sense through talking with Billy that he was not only proud of Marcus but that he has a friend in him....a Friend who now truly accepts that he is also a part of the Great Sooner Nation and it's history. Nothing will ever change all that.

This

Breadburner
12/24/2010, 11:55 AM
Answer to number 2......Switzer stated he would have comunicated why he was so tough on Dupree as a Freshman......I think Barry was worried about the team chemistry as Marcus was ready to start as a true Freshman......

delhalew
12/24/2010, 12:33 PM
It's great to see a lost lamb back in the fold. Oklahoma likes to take care of our own. I love that Billy has helped to show him he is welcome after all these years.

yermom
12/24/2010, 01:41 PM
he was getting bad advice, but also the secondary effects of that concussion probably didn't help

PLaw
12/24/2010, 01:44 PM
It's great to see a lost lamb back in the fold. Oklahoma likes to take care of our own. I love that Billy has helped to show him he is welcome after all these years.

The very cool thing about this is when Billy needed help there were SOONERS there to offer a hand. Now, Billy has been able to extend that blessing on to another SOONER. I hope someday that Marcus will have the opportunity to pass it along.

BOOMER

usaosooner
12/24/2010, 01:50 PM
Redemption stories are awesome

Soonerjeepman
12/24/2010, 02:10 PM
we just talked about the 30/30 last night after ball....bunch of guys...MU, KSU, KU, CU fans...all thought it was a very good show...saw a different side..they came away impressed...course they all acknowledge the tradition and respect the OU program anyway..but it was good..

BigJerm7
12/24/2010, 02:28 PM
I am 33 years old, and I had only heard of Marcus, until the 30 for 30 aired. Quite the story ESPN did with it. I'm glad they did a story on him. He seemed to be a very special RB. Part of life is making mistakes, and he probably knows he made mistakes. The important part is that he's coming back around, and that says something about Oklahoma.

Soonerjeepman
12/24/2010, 02:53 PM
I am 33 years old, and I had only heard of Marcus, until the 30 for 30 aired. Quite the story ESPN did with it. I'm glad they did a story on him. He seemed to be a very special RB. Part of life is making mistakes, and he probably knows he made mistakes. The important part is that he's coming back around, and that says something about Oklahoma.

I'm 46 and was attending ksu freshman yr...(grew up an OU fan due to family but couldn't afford out of state tuition) we were at a bar in Manhattan on a Friday night...and decided to drive down to Norman to watch the game...I remember Dupree breaking through the line at the 20 then going untouched for 80....course I was cheering wildly in the ksu section...ah well...

bmjlr
12/24/2010, 03:49 PM
Maybe Stoops should invite him to the sidelines for the Fiesta Bowl.

AlbqSooner
12/24/2010, 03:53 PM
I was a BIG fan of Marcus. He was one amazing running back. When he left, no one was willing to say what happened. It left a bad taste in my mouth for Dupree.

The 30 for 30 program gave me an understanding of the dynamic that resulted in his leaving. It gave me a renewed respect for the man. He is welcome in Oklahoma at any time he chooses, IMHO.

olevetonahill
12/24/2010, 04:08 PM
I was a BIG fan of Marcus. He was one amazing running back. When he left, no one was willing to say what happened. It left a bad taste in my mouth for Dupree.

The 30 for 30 program gave me an understanding of the dynamic that resulted in his leaving. It gave me a renewed respect for the man. He is welcome in Oklahoma at any time he chooses, IMHO.

Perzakery

StoopTroup
12/24/2010, 04:37 PM

Same here. I'm glad that had an effect on me as well as the conversation with Billy would have left me confused as to why anyone in OUr circles decided to speak up for him. Because of the show my attitude is completely 180 degrees now.

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2010, 04:41 PM
Dupree lives with regrets.

So he learns from his mistakes. That's good. How may times have we heard "I got no regrets, man" from people who could have had it all but pissed it away foolishly?

MyT Oklahoma
12/24/2010, 09:04 PM
Once a Sooner always a Sooner. That includes Marcus Dupree.

I try not to judge others because I've never walked on water myself.

I wish Marcus only the best and hope to see him at some future point in time in Norman.

ashley
12/24/2010, 10:23 PM
Are we going to honor everyone that ever quit or just the best ones?

PLaw
12/24/2010, 10:50 PM

Youngster - everything is unique and needs to be dealt with on a case by case basis. For example, the rule book sez your not supposed to sleep on the job. So you have two employees found sleeping while at work. Now the first employee found a place to hide away from his workstation and made a bed with cardboard for a good nap. The other, had been working seven, 12's for more than three weeks and nodded off at his work station. Obviously, the first intended to break the rule, but the second was just plain give out.

I would bet a benjamin that you never saw Marcus Dupree. I did. Marcus was a young kid a long way from home and getting bad advice from those back home, some who wanted to take advantage of him.

As noted earlier, Marcus had a very immature work ethic and no clue what it would take to succeed on a major college campus. Marcus' growing pains cost him mightily.

Hopefully, on this Christmas Eve, I pray that the final chapter of Marcus Dupree has yet to be written. I hope that he finds success and hapiness. And, if the SOONER Nation enables that ending, then more power to it.

BOOMER

StoopTroup
12/24/2010, 10:59 PM

Don't worry. There's nothing planned about you that I know of. I will have David check his sources though if you'd like.

SOONER ! ! !

itsok
12/25/2010, 12:44 AM
agree with Plaw...I hope the people of oklahoma make Marcus feel at home now...Oklahomans are good people, so it will happen.

Flagstaffsooner
12/25/2010, 01:39 AM
Some things I will never forgive nor forget.

olevetonahill
12/25/2010, 01:39 AM

Don't worry. There's nothing planned about you that I know of. I will have David check his sources though if you'd like.

SOONER ! ! !

David aint got a source fer pokes that I know of :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
12/25/2010, 01:40 AM

What?:confused:

MyT Oklahoma
12/25/2010, 01:51 AM
Why doesn't anyone who still has a problem with Marcus Dupree go and have a heart-to-heart with Coach Switzer or Billy Sims on the subject?

If they can't convince you then quite frankly I really don't care what you think.

Flagstaffsooner
12/25/2010, 02:18 AM
What?:confused:I will watch the show at 8am and may change my tune.

Leroy Lizard
12/25/2010, 02:21 AM

I'm not sure he has hurt anyone or the university. It was decision whether to stay in the program or leave. Although he said some things that put Switzer in a bad light at the time, I don't think any of them were particularly mean-spirited or harmful.

MamaMia
12/25/2010, 03:01 AM
Maybe some day he will be able to get his degree. That would be nice. :)

slugbug
12/25/2010, 03:09 AM
The name Marcus Dupree still brings a smile to my face and makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up !!
I can still hear John Brooks...."Wilson Dupree and Sewell in the backfield with Kelly Phelps at Quarterback...he turns a pitches to Dupree..outside on the right,20.. breaks a tackle, 25, 30 there he goes..40,45,50,45,40,35..GOOD BYE..GOOD BYE, 10,5..TOUCHDOWN MARCUS DUPREE..the longest run of the year, 80 yds.... JEEEEEMINY CHRISTMAS HE IS SOMETHING ELSE !! "

Boomer Sooner !!!!
and
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!

olevetonahill
12/25/2010, 03:42 AM
Why doesn't anyone who still has a problem with Marcus Dupree go and have a heart-to-heart with Coach Switzer or Billy Sims on the subject?

If they can't convince you then quite frankly I really don't care what you think.

**** you 2 ;)

Leroy Lizard
12/25/2010, 05:41 AM
The name Marcus Dupree still brings a smile to my face and makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up !!
I can still hear John Brooks...."Wilson Dupree and Sewell in the backfield with Kelly Phelps at Quarterback...he turns a pitches to Dupree..outside on the right,20.. breaks a tackle, 25, 30 there he goes..40,45,50,45,40,35..GOOD BYE..GOOD BYE, 10,5..TOUCHDOWN MARCUS DUPREE..the longest run of the year, 80 yds.... JEEEEEMINY CHRISTMAS HE IS SOMETHING ELSE !! "

Boomer Sooner !!!!
and
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!

You'd love that movie Gophers.

ashley
12/25/2010, 08:51 AM
Youngster - everything is unique and needs to be dealt with on a case by case basis. For example, the rule book sez your not supposed to sleep on the job. So you have two employees found sleeping while at work. Now the first employee found a place to hide away from his workstation and made a bed with cardboard for a good nap. The other, had been working seven, 12's for more than three weeks and nodded off at his work station. Obviously, the first intended to break the rule, but the second was just plain give out.

I would bet a benjamin that you never saw Marcus Dupree. I did. Marcus was a young kid a long way from home and getting bad advice from those back home, some who wanted to take advantage of him.

As noted earlier, Marcus had a very immature work ethic and no clue what it would take to succeed on a major college campus. Marcus' growing pains cost him mightily.

Hopefully, on this Christmas Eve, I pray that the final chapter of Marcus Dupree has yet to be written. I hope that he finds success and hapiness. And, if the SOONER Nation enables that ending, then more power to it.

BOOMER

You lose, I turned 69 this month. I do wish him well, but to award him now for quitting does not do anythingfor me. Make him welcome, that is enough. I am sure he is more mature now.

texaspokieokie
12/25/2010, 09:12 AM

question not answered.

soonerbub
12/25/2010, 09:21 AM
DVR people rewind that watch his lip quiver when he says not goin back to Oklahoma. He KNEW he was ****in up but did it anyway damn rev

Merry Christmas to all
BOOMER

Flagstaffsooner
12/25/2010, 10:10 AM
Ok I just watched it. He struck me as dumb as cole slaw. He screwed the pooch with his arrogance and greed. Now he comes back to Oklahoma with his hand out again. Sorry folks, I aint buying it.

olevetonahill
12/25/2010, 11:27 AM
Ok I just watched it. He struck me as dumb as cole slaw. He screwed the pooch with his arrogance and greed. Now he comes back to Oklahoma with his hand out again. Sorry folks, I aint buying it.

I found yer Pic :P

http://www.philnel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Grinch.jpeg

redkid
12/25/2010, 02:56 PM
I for one was dumb as a weed at 18-19 and made some real bone head mistakes,,worse that what Marcus did,,but I'm so thankful my family didnt turn their back on me,,but welcomed their prodical son back home..

PLaw
12/26/2010, 10:01 AM
You lose, I turned 69 this month. I do wish him well, but to award him now for quitting does not do anythingfor me. Make him welcome, that is enough. I am sure he is more mature now.

Let's just say we're both boomers on opposite end of the generation.

Now, here are four that I would have to think a long time about lettin' back into the family:

Jerry Parks - shooting a teammate, seriously?

Nigel Clay, Bernard Hall, Glen Bell - gang rape in Wilkinson Hall of all places.

BOOMER

texaspokieokie
12/26/2010, 10:06 AM
Let's just say we're both boomers on opposite end of the generation.

Now, here are four that I would have to think a long time about lettin' back into the family:

Jerry Parks - shooting a teammate, seriously?

Nigel Clay, Bernard Hall, Glen Bell - gang rape in Wilkinson Hall of all places.

BOOMER

Glen Bell was found innocent of rape charges & continued his career
@ southeastern in durant.

Sooners78
12/26/2010, 10:35 AM
The thing that sticks out for me from that show is Ken Fairley taking Dupree's paychecks and saying that he was investing them! I wonder how much of that money Marcus actually saw. And, one of Marcus' old friends even verified this.

He signed a five-year, five million $ contract with the New Orleans Breakers. That was a lot of mony in 1984! If the reverend had actually invested the money as he said, Marcus could still be making a decent living off of it today. It would be interesting to see what kind of standard of living Fairley had at that time.

PLaw
12/26/2010, 10:55 AM
The thing that sticks out for me from that show is Ken Fairley taking Dupree's paychecks and saying that he was investing them! I wonder how much of that money Marcus actually saw. And, one of Marcus' old friends even verified this.

He signed a five-year, five million $ contract with the New Orleans Breakers. That was a lot of mony in 1984! If the reverend had actually invested the money as he said, Marcus could still be making a decent living off of it today. It would be interesting to see what kind of standard of living Fairley had at that time.

Do you really think that the good rev was an experienced investor or a small time crook? My vote is on the latter.

Boomer