PDA

View Full Version : I'm guessing Pryor might be going pro...

bmjlr
12/23/2010, 12:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5950873

Of couse since it is tOSU...they are eligible for the bowl game. :pop:

sooner59
12/23/2010, 12:58 PM
It would be pretty dumb for any of them to go pro. Pryor hasn't lived up to his hype so far, and I would be shocked if Herron is first day material in the draft. If they want to skip out on school and take their chances as a low pick and lose money....then there is a reason they got suspended: They ain't that bright.

bmjlr
12/23/2010, 01:00 PM
It would be pretty dumb for any of them to go pro. Pryor hasn't lived up to his hype so far, and I would be shocked if Herron is first day material in the draft. If they want to skip out on school and take their chances as a low pick and lose money....then there is a reason they got suspended: They ain't that bright.

I agree, but missing 5 games next year will not help their status any. And yes, they ain't too bright.

Okie35
12/23/2010, 01:07 PM

That or the lock out.

bigfatjerk
12/23/2010, 01:08 PM
This is stupid. Why does the NCAA care if you sell your university stuff? If this stuff is your stuff you should sell it if you want.

yermom
12/23/2010, 01:12 PM
that's what i'm thinking.

more evidence the Boz was right.

sooner59
12/23/2010, 01:13 PM
This is stupid. Why does the NCAA care if you sell your university stuff? If this stuff is your stuff you should sell it if you want.

I believe it gets into the realm of how you are getting these things to begin with. If the school gives them an endless amount of footballs, etc. to sign, then they sign it and sell it, there is shady territories that this can cross into.

bmjlr
12/23/2010, 01:14 PM

Because the NCAA is a joke and they are upset that they didn't get 10% or more from the proceeds.

sooner59
12/23/2010, 01:15 PM
On a side note....

Is it even allowed by the NCAA to sell autographed items by players who are still student athletes?

I don't know, just curious. I never remembered seeing anything signed by Sam Bradford until he declared for the NFL.

bigfatjerk
12/23/2010, 01:16 PM
Here's where you can draw the line. If it's actually NCAA property then I can see why you can't sell it. For example jerseys are probably NCAA property, footballs I can see as NCAA property. A trophy or championship ring wouldn't be NCAA property.

badger
12/23/2010, 01:21 PM
Players can't sell ANYthing till they're gone. That includes autographs. If you saw Sammie's autograph on eBay, it was because some guy got their kid to beg Sam for an autograph at the team hotel before a game and then daddy turned around and sold it for massive profit.

bigfatjerk
12/23/2010, 01:25 PM
What if you sell your gifts you get from these bowl games? Like game systems for example?

Seamus
12/23/2010, 01:28 PM
Players can't sell ANYthing till they're gone. That includes autographs. If you saw Sammie's autograph on eBay, it was because some guy got their kid to beg Sam for an autograph at the team hotel before a game and then daddy turned around and sold it for massive profit.

That would make daddy a doooosh cannon.

Jacie
12/23/2010, 01:28 PM
Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said the school will appeal the suspensions.

"While we believe sanctions should be rendered, we do believe they are severe," he said Thursday at a news conference. "We do believe we can give mitigating circumstances for the NCAA to consider."

I guess in this instance, the mitigating circumstances could be that the players wanted to have the tatoos prior to the bowl game.

As for why they are not allowed to sell their stuff, is the "stuff" in question (the ring, the award) was not available to other students and thus constitutes a "benefit," which is a big no-no.

bigfatjerk
12/23/2010, 01:34 PM
What about the gifts all these players get from bowls? I bet players will end up selling the stuff they get from bowls before their college careers are over.

badger
12/23/2010, 01:45 PM
That would make daddy a doooosh cannon.

If you ever stay at the same hotel as players, these guys are approached by a lot of people (kids, adults,you name it) for autographs. They usually oblige. One trip in 2009, I saw kids showing an adult man their autographs and I swear I could see dollar signs in his eyes :(

I will never sell player autographs, but I have purchased cards with autographs... but, I'd pay the same amount for an un-autographed card, so makes no difference to me

badger
12/23/2010, 01:47 PM
What about the gifts all these players get from bowls? I bet players will end up selling the stuff they get from bowls before their college careers are over.

They aren't allowed to, but one of my friends said he saw a lot of Nokia N-Gages on eBay after the Sugar Bowl :D

Backstory: Nokia Sugar Bowl gift for us and LSU was Nokia's new crappy phone/video game portable thing, the N-Gage. Words cannot describe how much the N-Gage sucks, but I will try: Taco. Phone.

bigfatjerk
12/23/2010, 01:48 PM
Here's an idea that was just on the Sports Animal. If a player chooses not to have a championship ring/trophies or the gifts they get in bowls why not ask for and receive the money that those things are worth?

bigfatjerk
12/23/2010, 01:49 PM
They aren't allowed to, but one of my friends said he saw a lot of Nokia N-Gages on eBay after the Sugar Bowl :D

Backstory: Nokia Sugar Bowl gift for us and LSU was Nokia's new crappy phone/video game portable thing, the N-Gage. Words cannot describe how much the N-Gage sucks, but I will try: Taco. Phone.

I'm shocked that players haven't been caught and punished for selling this type of stuff.

GrapevineSooner
12/23/2010, 01:50 PM
They should have just given it to their parents...to sell on eBay without their knowledge. ;)

cccasooner2
12/23/2010, 01:56 PM
This story seems like deja vu all over again. Didn't a similar thing happen with used jerseys being sold by an SEC jock?

cccasooner2
12/23/2010, 01:57 PM
They should have just given it to their parents...to sell on eBay without their knowledge. ;)

LOL. I like it.

badger
12/23/2010, 01:58 PM
I'm shocked that players haven't been caught and punished for selling this type of stuff.

Hahaha...

Bob Stoops: Everyone hold up your N-Gage to prove you didn't sell it on eBay.
Players: We all lost ours... out the hotel window... from it sucking so much.

(meanwhile in Louisiana)

Nick Saban: Before I head off to Miami, please hold up your N-Gages so that I know you didn't sell them on eBay.

(crickets chirp)

Nick Saban: Good thing I turned my back while you all answered. g2g!

SGA
12/23/2010, 02:01 PM
You have to think of this in terms of the student athletes making a profit off of their scholarship, which in this case, they clearly did. Any gift they were given and in turn sold, equates to them making a profit. I am also inclined to think they probably received more than what is being reported, but an agreement was made to only disclose said benefits.

StoopTroup
12/23/2010, 02:03 PM
Stuff like this does make one think that letting Bomar go back then was maybe the right thing to do then but why is all of this stuff not suddenly not such a big deal now?

I'd even think that Coaches like Stoops who have weathered the storm on events like this over the years, have to be shaking their heads and talking to their kids. There is absolutely no way you would think you could sit around as OU's Coach and not tell your players that although it seems this stuff is no big deal anymore....we do not want to be another School who becomes a testing ground or have media attention like this pointed our way. So....even though you see an opportunity to get yourself maybe some free tats or your Parent's see a way to get a few buck thrown their church's way....if they do it....you'll be off this Team aka Rhett Bomar Style.

Or...

Maybe they sit around in Team meetings talking about who they are gonna use to get tats from now?

This stuff is crazy.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 02:13 PM
Here's an idea that was just on the Sports Animal. If a player chooses not to have a championship ring/trophies or the gifts they get in bowls why not ask for and receive the money that those things are worth?

Because that would defeat the purpose of the gifts. They are designed to be mementos, not payment for services rendered.

I think the NCAA should ban all postseason gifts with the exception of rings, which should not have a dollar value exceeding $200.

SoonerBread
12/23/2010, 02:14 PM
As for why they are not allowed to sell their stuff, is the "stuff" in question (the ring, the award) was not available to other students and thus constitutes a "benefit," which is a big no-no.

Not arguing your point at all, but...

If none of what they get is available to other students (logo items, gear, equipment, gift packages, etc...), then how could ANY of it be okay? As in, if they can't sell it because it gives them cash, or use it to procure services and whatnot, but other students aren't even able to receive said items in the first place, isn't this ALL a case of receiving benefits not available to the general student population?

I don't know if that's clear or not, just trying to point out NCAA hypocrisy.

StoopTroup
12/23/2010, 02:17 PM
I think the NCAA should ban all postseason gifts with the exception of rings, which should not have a dollar value exceeding $200.

If you'd have worked your *** off like these kids did....you wouldn't say **** like that. Also....good luck finding someone to make a ring for $200 for 50-60 people that doesn't look like **** after two or three time or wearing it.

Seriously...you don't think this **** through very well.

Have you ever seen one of those rings up close? My Son and I got to put Patrick Fletcher's on. $200.....LMAO.

I'd like to see someone come up with a $200 facsimile of this.....

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ncaa%20national%20championship%20rings/pecross/UTring.jpg

oudivesherpa
12/23/2010, 02:17 PM
Student athletes should be given a limited monthly stipen of $500 per month from the University or better yet from the NCAA to cover misc. expesnes. But then the penalty for accepting items or selling should be suspension. The NCCA makes millions of dollars off the backs of student athletes and gives the student a very small return on his investment.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 02:18 PM

The NCAA does not want athletes profiting monetarily from their play so as to level the playing field for all schools. Pretty soon rich boosters are forking over $10,000 for a championship ring as a way to buy players.

The problem begins when you give players rewards for playing in bowl games, which is why I think that practice should be banned. Why should a player receive a video game controller for playing in a bowl game?

SGA
12/23/2010, 02:20 PM
Because that would defeat the purpose of the gifts. They are designed to be mementos, not payment for services rendered.

This would have an effect on recruiting. Kids want to go to a school that goes to nice bowl games in part because of the schwag and the pampering they get. Take away the neat gifts an it just becomes another road game in the minds of a lot of these kids. You have to remember that a lot of these kids likely have never had much, let alone a Playstation. In 2000, when i was living in the athletic dorms, the likes of Jamal, Renaldo, Mark, Teddy, etc., were all VERY stoked about the gifts they got for going to the title game.

StoopTroup
12/23/2010, 02:23 PM
Hell....the 1985 ring would be hard to do for $200.

http://www.collectorsattic.com/ringimages/85oklahoma.jpg

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 02:23 PM
If you'd have worked your *** off like these kids did....you wouldn't say **** like that.

The kids that played on teams that didn't go bowling showed up for practice too. The fact that they aren't receiving any gifts doesn't seem to bother you. Why is that?

Your argument is plain stupid.

Also....good luck finding someone to make a ring for $200 for 50-60 people that doesn't look like **** after two or three time or wearing it.

Make it out of pewter for all I care. The ring is supposed to be a memento, and that is all.

Seriously...you don't think this **** through very well.

Have you ever seen one of those rings up close? My Son and I got to put Patrick Fletcher's on. $200.....LMAO.

I'm not advocating giving out rings like Patrick's. I am advocating lowering the dollar value to a reasonable level. It doesn't have to be $200; it could be $300. But it has to be reasonable.

StoopTroup
12/23/2010, 02:24 PM
Because they are gifts

lowering the value would demean the reason for playing for one.

You might as well give them a little piece of paper with an embossment that honors them.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 02:25 PM
This would have an effect on recruiting. Kids want to go to a school that goes to nice bowl games in part because of the schwag and the pampering they get.

Which is why I suggest banning such gifts. You proved my point.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 02:27 PM
Because they are gifts

The players are not playing for the gifts. If the gifts vanished, the players would still play in the bowl games. Any player that wouldn't is not much of a team player.

Sorry Stoop, but you're plain wrong on this.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 02:28 PM
Hell....the 1985 ring would be hard to do for $200.

http://www.collectorsattic.com/ringimages/85oklahoma.jpg

Yeah, so what?

olevetonahill
12/23/2010, 02:28 PM
Because they are gifts

You might as well give them a little piece of paper with an embossment that honors them.

Dude dont ya know by now? Leroid has an answer fer everything, and he dont he will dayum sure make one up :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 02:29 PM
Dude dont ya know by now? Leroid has an answer fer everything, and he dont he will dayum sure make one up :rolleyes:

Do you have this quote on your clipboard, because you seem to copy and paste it in just about every thread I enter. Talk about obsession.

olevetonahill
12/23/2010, 02:32 PM
Do you have this quote on your clipboard, because you seem to copy and paste it in just about every thread I enter. Talk about obsession.

dont flatter yerself, I just like laughing at yer dumas :D

jkjsooner
12/23/2010, 02:34 PM

How much stuff can you sell and at what price? I'm sure an Auburn booster would give $100k for Cam Newton's shoes?

What about autographs? How many can they sell? If allowed you're opening a can of worms which would upset the competitive balance among smaller and larger schools.

badger
12/23/2010, 02:48 PM
That's the problem -- it isn't THEIR stuff, it's the university's stuff till they're gone. It's laid out very clear (even if they pretend that it isn't) and well-documented that memorabilia cannot be sold till your college eligibility is up.

Perhaps you think that this is unfair, because the athlete's names are on the rings, the jerseys, the gold pants. Fine. Then they're just going to do away with memorabilia and nobody gets anything. So what is fair - nobody getting anything, or teaching college kids a little patience?

Doged
12/23/2010, 02:48 PM
The kids that played on teams that didn't go bowling showed up for practice too. The fact that they aren't receiving any gifts doesn't seem to bother you. Why is that?

Your argument is plain stupid.

You say a lot of stupid stuff on this board, but this one (along with other aspects of your argument) has to be one of the most stupid ever.

The gift packages are already a reasonable set amount that is consistent among all the bowls. The reason the kids that don't go bowling don't get a gift package is because their team sucks. If they play better, and thus get to go bowling, they'll get the same gift package as all the other winning teams who got to go bowling.

Duh.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 03:01 PM
You say a lot of stupid stuff on this board, but this one (along with other aspects of your argument) has to be one of the most stupid ever.

The gift packages are already a reasonable set amount that is consistent among all the bowls.

Consistency isn't the problem. If the NCAA is having problems because players are selling their gifts for cash, then the problem is the gifts. I don't think players should receive anything that isn't a memento. The game itself, and the trip, is their reward. In fact, that is the purpose of a bowl game -- to provide a reward for a successful season. There is no need for additional gifts.

The reason the kids that don't go bowling don't get a gift package is because their team sucks. If they play better, and thus get to go bowling, they'll get the same gift package as all the other winning teams who got to go bowling.

Duh.

The argument was that the players should receive gifts for their hard work. Players on losing teams can still be hard workers, yet they receive no rewards. This is a contradiction.

Besides, if your argument was really true then only those that have played a significant amount of time in games should receive gifts.

CBUS_SOONER
12/23/2010, 03:01 PM
Pryor attempts to talk about team (sounds fake while doing it) and sells his conf ring. I know winning the lil ten isn't a big deal but wtf. That stuff should be priceless.

cccasooner2
12/23/2010, 03:20 PM
So what is fair - nobody getting anything, or teaching college kids a little patience?

It's why I never chewed gum in school.

Widescreen
12/23/2010, 03:30 PM
I think all the swag should stop. I can't see how the NCAA even allows it given how picky they are about everything else. And for all those kids who expect it now, the swag is a relatively new phenomenon and the pre-swag players didn't seem to have a problem getting up for "just another road game".

If the NCAA is going to allow the swag, they should go ahead and allow a stipend like others have said. They can't have it both ways - OK, well they can but it doesn't make sense that they can.

MyT Oklahoma
12/23/2010, 03:59 PM
What a total and complete joke. If these kids did anything wrong (and they did of course), then suspend them immediately and not just starting next fall.

Does anybody really take the NCAA seriously?

agoo758
12/23/2010, 04:01 PM

"Because money is evil!", says the NCAA figurehead bringing in six figures a year.

bmjlr
12/23/2010, 04:03 PM
What a total and complete joke. If these kids did anything wrong (and they did of course), then suspend them immediately and not just starting next fall.

Does anybody really take the NCAA seriously?

That is what I took from the whole article...they wait until next year to suspend them? If tOSU wasn't playing in BCS game, they probably would have been suspended for the bowl game. I am guessing they are afraid nobody will watch the game (if anybody will anyway) and the ratings will stink. So let them play and then next year they'll suspend them. The NCAA proves once again it is all about the almighty $.

MyT Oklahoma
12/23/2010, 04:19 PM
I'll bet you if these miscreants had been Sooners the NCAA would have dropped the hachet on their bowl eligibility.

The NCAA has never forgotton that OU and Georgia sued them for our TV rights back in the early '80's.

Boomer.....
12/23/2010, 04:44 PM
http://columbus.craigslist.org/clt/2127040159.html

Heh

OUthunder
12/23/2010, 04:50 PM
that's what i'm thinking.

more evidence the Boz was right.

He was a prophet. There is no way in hell that they should be able to play in the bowl game.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/23/2010, 04:58 PM
I believe it gets into the realm of how you are getting these things to begin with. If the school gives them an endless amount of footballs, etc. to sign, then they sign it and sell it, there is shady territories that this can cross into.College football oughta be just minor league football, allowing the players to be paid. They can be students, as part of their pay, if they opt to do that. Ineligible to go NFL until after playing 3 yrs. in college, or 4 yrs after "finishing" high school, whichever comes first.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 05:00 PM
I think all the swag should stop. I can't see how the NCAA even allows it given how picky they are about everything else. And for all those kids who expect it now, the swag is a relatively new phenomenon and the pre-swag players didn't seem to have a problem getting up for "just another road game".

If the NCAA is going to allow the swag, they should go ahead and allow a stipend like others have said. They can't have it both ways - OK, well they can but it doesn't make sense that they can.

100% agreed. (See? I don't always disagree.)

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 05:02 PM
College football oughta be just minor league football, allowing the players to be paid.

I don't want to see college football turned into a AAA league. Sorry, RLISMC, can't go along with you there.

bmjlr
12/23/2010, 05:04 PM
He was a prophet. There is no way in hell that they should be able to play in the bowl game.

Winner!!! ^^^^

12/23/2010, 05:16 PM
I don't want to see college football turned into a AAA league. Sorry, RLISMC, can't go along with you there.Why?

bigfatjerk
12/23/2010, 05:53 PM
Let's say that Pryor goes pro. Does anyone else find it atrocious that he'll basically get off with no punishment?

badger
12/23/2010, 06:02 PM
Perhaps the best solution would be to present mementos to players at a football game the season after they graduate/go pro. After all, they present national championship rings to gymnastics athletes at halftime of football games and we give them a big ol' standing ovation during it all. Or perhaps the Red/White game when tons of alums return to campus anyway?

And Rush, as a fellow Republican, you should know that expenditures should never exceed revenues, so we can't pay college football players. The programs are mostly in the red right now. Not everyone's OU. :)

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 06:17 PM
Why?

Because I believe in the spirit of amateur athletics. (Although we lose more and more of that spirit ever year.)

OUthunder
12/23/2010, 07:06 PM
Honestly, if these would have been OU players, they would not be playing in the bowl game...I guarantee it. If the NCAA wouldn't have suspended them (yeah, like that would ever ****ing happen) Stoops probably would have IMHO.

I actually agree with Mark May on this one, The Big Ten gets preferred treatment over other conferences.

12/23/2010, 07:48 PM
And Rush, as a fellow Republican, you should know that expenditures should never exceed revenues, so we can't pay college football players. The programs are mostly in the red right now. Not everyone's OU. :)The football teams bring in BEAUCOUP more money than the value of the players' scholarships and the salaries of the coaches combined. Compensate those boys accordingly. What a racket the colleges have!

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 07:55 PM
The football teams bring in BEAUCOUP more money than the value of the players' scholarships and the salaries of the coaches combined. Compensate those boys accordingly. What a racket the colleges have!

Athletic departments would have to start declaring themselves for-profit ventures and pay the IRS accordingly.

12/23/2010, 08:05 PM
Athletic departments would have to start declaring themselves for-profit ventures and pay the IRS accordingly.The players would have to pay the IRS if they got salaries. I doubt the players would bitch too much, if paid to work.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 08:17 PM
The players would have to pay the IRS if they got salaries. I doubt the players would bitch too much, if paid to work.

Whether the players have to pay taxes is not the issue. Yes, they would have to pay, but that isn't going to let the athletic department off the hook.

StoopTroup
12/23/2010, 08:18 PM
dont flatter yerself, I just like laughing at yer dumas :D

Your really right. There really isn't any argument about this anyway as if the NCAA wants to make changes on rings and gifts and Bowl Kits, they will. One thing is almost 100% not going to happen and that would be $200 rings. I mistakenly tried to explain this concept to him and he continued to try and convince people that yet again another one of his crackpipe ideas should be defended at all costs because if he doesn't defend each and everyone of his ideas...his credibility might be ruined. :D

I am laughing at his dumbass too...hell I was when he brought it up and now I'm laughing again and this time....it's even funnier than the last three times I laughed at him.

What's great is you can go to nearly every thread he's posted in and get this kind of laugh. Damn pokes are hysterical. Especially when they are spies posing as Sooners. Oh oh...here it comes again....LOL....LOL....LOL....LMAO....ROTFLMAO.... .

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 08:27 PM
Your really right. There really isn't any argument about this anyway as if the NCAA wants to make changes on rings and gifts and Bowl Kits, they will. One thing is almost 100% not going to happen and that would be $200 rings. I mistakenly tried to explain this concept to him and he continued to try and convince people that yet again another one of his crackpipe ideas should be defended at all costs because if he doesn't defend each and everyone of his ideas...his credibility might be ruined. :D

I am laughing at his dumbass too...hell I was when he brought it up and now I'm laughing again and this time....it's even funnier than the last three times I laughed at him.

What's great is you can go to nearly every thread he's posted in and get this kind of laugh. Damn pokes are hysterical. Especially when they are spies posing as Sooners. Oh oh...here it comes again....LOL....LOL....LOL....LMAO....ROTFLMAO.... .

http://www.unlimitedperfumes.com/images/obsession-men.jpg

12/23/2010, 08:42 PM
Whether the players have to pay taxes is not the issue. Yes, they would have to pay, but that isn't going to let the athletic department off the hook.That is the issue FOR YOU. You set the rules for your point. I just think/know the players are grossly underpaid, for the jobs they do, and especially for the revenue they produce.

CBUS_SOONER
12/23/2010, 08:49 PM
what is pryor going pro in?

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 08:51 PM
That is the issue FOR YOU. You set the rules for your point. I just think/know the players are grossly underpaid, for the jobs they do, and especially for the revenue they produce.

True, but I'm just pointing out one reason why the changes you advocate are not likely to come off.

My feeling is that if the players are grossly underpaid, they should rise and quit! That's what I would do if I worked at a job that didn't pay me what I was worth.

AlbqSooner
12/23/2010, 08:56 PM
The argument was that the players should receive gifts for their hard work. Players on losing teams can still be hard workers, yet they receive no rewards. This is a contradiction.

Winning teams get trophies. Losing teams do not. Players on winning teams get rings and other schtuff. Players on losing teams do not.

Contradiction my ruby red arse.:rolleyes:

AlbqSooner
12/23/2010, 09:04 PM

OBSESSION??? You insert yourself into dang near every conversation that comes up. It would be nigh unto impossible to read this board without reading some of your posts. Having read them, it is hard not to laugh at how seldom you have a freaking clue what you are talking about. Dang man, I am laughing at you as I type this.:D

OUthunder
12/23/2010, 09:11 PM
Some folks are just mental midgets.

meandmybutt
12/23/2010, 09:12 PM
I can't make up my mind what the worst part of all of this is:

a. Players eligible for bowl game, suspensions not starting until next year. WTF? Penalty should begin immediately. The NCAA's credibility took another big hit in my opinion for not making this immediate. Dez Bryant's was immediate and permantent. Green's was immediate. Going back many years....Boz (different circumstances) was ineligible immediately. Ohio St. obviously has a little pull with the NCAA.

b. Players claiming they thought this was "okay because it was their stuff"...."didn't realize this was a violation..." of rules? WTF? You didn't know? How the heck do you not know this is against the rules? YOU HAD TO KNOW, YOU CAN NOT BE THAT STUPID AND GRADUATE COLLEGE!!!

c. Fans and sportscasters who think this is a minor infraction and that it is okay becust the rules are just wrong. This is very serious. It's not "okay because the rules are just wrong".

d. Specifically, that stupid Mark May calling this an "obscure rule in the book...that needs to go away"....WTF? This is not just some obscure rule. The rules prohibiting players from extracting financial gain from their role/status as a member of an NCAA team while they are an amateur athlete are not obscure and certainly do not need to go away. Mark May, you are a dumb mother if you do not see that these rules are important......About the only rule less obscure and more important than those prohibiting paying players on the side are the rules stating that they have to go to class and learn something to play college sports. I can't wait to hear Terrelle Pryor state that he didn't know he was supposed to go to class, that he didn't realize it wasn't okay for someone to take his tests for him....Stupid mother Mark May will probably call the rules on going to class obscure too.

bigfatjerk
12/23/2010, 09:15 PM
It's okay to shop your kid around. But it's not okay to sell your stuff. Yeah that sounds like something only a government type entity can come up with.

Dwight
12/23/2010, 10:00 PM
I'm angry that I can't change my pick in ESPN Bowl Mania. At least it was only my 4 point pick

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 10:08 PM
Winning teams get trophies. Losing teams do not. Players on winning teams get rings and other schtuff. Players on losing teams do not.

The issue was hard work. A sub playing on a winning team works no harder than a starter on a losing team.

Reading comprehension. It does exist out there. I'm sure of it.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 10:10 PM
OBSESSION??? You insert yourself into dang near every conversation that comes up.

Do you see me following anyone around and posting countless comments about their posts?

No.

bmjlr
12/24/2010, 09:26 AM
I can't make up my mind what the worst part of all of this is:

a. Players eligible for bowl game, suspensions not starting until next year. WTF? Penalty should begin immediately. The NCAA's credibility took another big hit in my opinion for not making this immediate. Dez Bryant's was immediate and permantent. Green's was immediate. Going back many years....Boz (different circumstances) was ineligible immediately. Ohio St. obviously has a little pull with the NCAA.

b. Players claiming they thought this was "okay because it was their stuff"...."didn't realize this was a violation..." of rules? WTF? You didn't know? How the heck do you not know this is against the rules? YOU HAD TO KNOW, YOU CAN NOT BE THAT STUPID AND GRADUATE COLLEGE!!!

c. Fans and sportscasters who think this is a minor infraction and that it is okay becust the rules are just wrong. This is very serious. It's not "okay because the rules are just wrong".

d. Specifically, that stupid Mark May calling this an "obscure rule in the book...that needs to go away"....WTF? This is not just some obscure rule. The rules prohibiting players from extracting financial gain from their role/status as a member of an NCAA team while they are an amateur athlete are not obscure and certainly do not need to go away. Mark May, you are a dumb mother if you do not see that these rules are important......About the only rule less obscure and more important than those prohibiting paying players on the side are the rules stating that they have to go to class and learn something to play college sports. I can't wait to hear Terrelle Pryor state that he didn't know he was supposed to go to class, that he didn't realize it wasn't okay for someone to take his tests for him....Stupid mother Mark May will probably call the rules on going to class obscure too.

I think you have them in the right order. OSU should do the right thing and suspend them for the bowl game, but I think we know that will never happen.

olevetonahill
12/24/2010, 09:59 AM
OBSESSION??? You insert yourself into dang near every conversation that comes up. It would be nigh unto impossible to read this board without reading some of your posts. Having read them, it is hard not to laugh at how seldom you have a freaking clue what you are talking about. Dang man, I am laughing at you as I type this.:D

Do you see me following anyone around and posting countless comments about their posts?

No.

Uh Limptard did you miss the part I bolded? If so here it is again

You insert yourself into dang near every conversation that comes up

Kinda hard to not see yer drivel and then comment :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2010, 03:39 PM
Uh Limptard did you miss the part I bolded? If so here it is again

You insert yourself into dang near every conversation that comes up

Kinda hard to not see yer drivel and then comment :rolleyes:

Once again...

olevetonahill
12/24/2010, 04:00 PM
I dont know which is more pitiful, Davids efforts to receive recognition, or yer own pitiful attempts to think you are "All that" :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2010, 04:06 PM
I dont know which is more pitiful, Davids efforts to receive recognition, or yer own pitiful attempts to think you are "All that" :rolleyes:

Well, I certainly make up a significant portion of your life.

olevetonahill
12/24/2010, 04:15 PM

But Albq, Some one here thinks you are wrong, And will argue with you till the cows come home .:rolleyes:

sooner59
12/24/2010, 04:20 PM
what is pryor going pro in?

Bass fishing.

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2010, 04:23 PM
But Albq, Some one here thinks you are wrong, And will argue with you till the cows come home .:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
12/24/2010, 04:25 PM
Bass fishing.

Wow 59 I think you are right , that poster we were talking about does seem to be on the rag :eek:

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2010, 04:26 PM
Wow 59 I think you are right , that poster we were talking about does seem to be on the rag :eek:

(Here comes the "We weren't talking about you" bit.)

StoopTroup
12/24/2010, 04:50 PM
http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.46873398.jpg

olevetonahill
12/24/2010, 05:03 PM
Hey ST check it out :D
mQZmCJUSC6g

StoopTroup
12/24/2010, 05:15 PM
I used to anticipate what I would do if Carly Simon wanted to hook up.

olevetonahill
12/24/2010, 05:17 PM
I used to anticipate what I would do if Carly Simon wanted to hook up.

So ya saying ya had an " Obsession" for her ?;)

StoopTroup
12/24/2010, 05:18 PM
Naw....I wanted to smear ketchup all over her.

Sooner_Tuf
12/25/2010, 03:09 PM
Leroy what these boys are trying to tell you is that they think you have been inserting yourself into places you shouldn't be. NTTAWWT!

badger
12/25/2010, 03:31 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, there is a very telling thing regarding Pryor - no Heisman.

It's incredibly easy for an Ohio State player to be considered for the Heisman and win it, compared to other schools. If Troy Smith can get it, any Ohio State quarterback can.

He's not even considered, at a school that has one of the largest (if not THE largest) athletic budgets in the country with a huge fanbase and program greatly respected by media, who in turn overrates their players and team for national awards and rankings.

Despite that, Pryor is not considered good enough.

Leroy Lizard
12/25/2010, 04:55 PM
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, there is a very telling thing regarding Pryor - no Heisman.

It's incredibly easy for an Ohio State player to be considered for the Heisman and win it, compared to other schools..

:confused:

They've had two in the last 35 years. We've had 3.

yermom
12/25/2010, 05:03 PM
Troy Smith was pretty darn good, and on the #1 team pretty much all year

Terelle Pryor was too busy getting tats and getting shown up by $Cam Newton to win this year

badger
12/25/2010, 05:09 PM
Troy Smith was pretty darn good, and on the #1 team pretty much all year

Terelle Pryor was too busy getting tats and getting shown up by $Cam Newton to win this year

:D:D:D

:mad: look man I'm trying to bash pryor here! Can't you let me keep my straight face going longer to keep the charade up?

:D:D:D

Okie35
12/30/2010, 03:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/sugar/news/story?id=5970169

they're all returning next year

OutlandTrophy
12/30/2010, 03:27 PM
Athletic departments would have to start declaring themselves for-profit ventures and pay the IRS accordingly.

no, they would not.

CBUS_SOONER
12/30/2010, 03:29 PM
They made a pledge with Tre$$. lmfao. I bet tp is a man of his word

Okie35
12/30/2010, 03:49 PM
They made a pledge with Tre$$. lmfao. I bet tp is a man of his word

They probably only said it so he doesn't sit any of them for the Sugar bowl.

bmjlr
12/30/2010, 03:56 PM
They probably only said it so he doesn't sit any of them for the Sugar bowl.

^^^^ This

PLaw
12/30/2010, 04:34 PM
Did you hear about the pledge from the five? Apparently, Tressell said today that the five players suspended for five games next year have pledged to return to the program. Sounded pretty corny to me.

BOOMER

85sooners
12/30/2010, 04:59 PM
Pryor is a fag

CBUS_SOONER
12/30/2010, 05:30 PM
Did you hear about the pledge from the five? Apparently, Tressell said today that the five players suspended for five games next year have pledged to return to the program. Sounded pretty corny to me.

BOOMER

Fans here in columbus are praising tress... He is gonna save these kids like he did with Troy smith and Mo Clarrett. Tress is the biggest cheat in the business. I know two former players for YSU and one from tosu that love the guy but have many stories about him cheating like a mo fo. f him

SoTxSooner85
12/30/2010, 06:51 PM
Here's where you can draw the line. If it's actually NCAA property then I can see why you can't sell it. For example jerseys are probably NCAA property, footballs I can see as NCAA property. A trophy or championship ring wouldn't be NCAA property.

Oh yea! That will work out great.

The whorns can just give their players a ring for 6th place in the Big 12 South.

Then the wealthy boosters can buy the rings for $50,000 per ring.

Once all the high school recruits are aware of this the whorns will be able to recruit all the top players who would enjoy $50,000 a year walking around money.

I just used the whorns as an example, could be any wealthy program. Heck let them sell their socks or bugers too.

THE-JROD
12/30/2010, 08:19 PM

BOOMER

He said if they didnt promise to return next season, they werent even gonna go on the trip!