PDA

View Full Version : Best sports moment in 2010?

SPuL
12/22/2010, 11:19 PM
For me, I think it has to be Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria. Here's why:

http://www.flockaball.com/soccer/2010/12/23/2010s-best-in-sports-landon-donovans-gw-goal/

lemme know what you think

texaspokieokie
12/23/2010, 08:35 AM
not soccer.

Eielson
12/23/2010, 09:08 AM
Maybe it would've been if we didn't lose to Ghana. The World Cup was kinda disappointing as a whole I felt. I'm not a soccer guy, though.

BoomerSooner, esq.
12/23/2010, 11:06 AM
Although I think the World Cup goal against Algeria was pretty cool, Ive got to go with the Saints winning the Super Bowl for me. Coming from the cellar just a few years ago and getting Drew Brees and company to come in and take them all the way was awesome.

SPuL
12/24/2010, 01:01 PM
Soccer or not, you can't deny the impact it had in the states around that time period. While we usually all bitter back and forth here in the states about who we support or don't, for once during those 2-3 weeks, we all had one team we could completely get behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w

^tell me what other sporting event in 2010 can say they had that same effect? Not in one city. Not in one state. But in the ENTIRE nation.

SPuL
12/24/2010, 01:02 PM
Furthermore,

Television ratings further showcased proof of increased interest in the World Cup. The U.S.-Algeria match became ESPN’s highest-rated and most-watched soccer game ever. The match delivered a 4.6 rating (4.0 household U.S. rating), with 4,582,000 households and 6,161,000 viewers for the contest. In addition, an estimated 1.1 million U.S. viewers watched the game on ESPN3.com, making it the largest U.S. audience for any sports event on the internet. Keep in mind that this is all for a telecast that began at 10 am ET. As expected, the ratings almost doubled when the U.S. faced off with Ghana in the following round. The ABC telecast drew an impressive 8.5 rating, making it the fourth-highest World Cup match in the history of U.S. television.
Even after the Americans’ departure from the event, TV ratings continued to surge. According to an analysis by The Neilson Company, an estimated 111.6 million U.S. viewers watched at least six minutes of the 2010 World Cup; that’s an increase of 22% from the 91.4 million the 2006 World Cup drew.

Collier11
12/24/2010, 01:29 PM
The Donovan Goal was a huge "moment" for sure

The Duke vs Butler Championship game was pretty solid

Mike Vicks performance earlier this year, forget the opponent, it was amazing

Dont know if whole games count for moments?

SPuL
12/24/2010, 02:36 PM
^I don't see why not man.

It all depends on how you're categorizing it. Best play, Best game, Best moment, Most significant, Most emotional, etc.

For me, I was speaking on terms such as best moment as far as it's impact on the sports landscape.

The way everyone doubted us, the way we got royally screwed on those two disallowed goals (Slovenia, and Algeria). If we had lost, it would have been a riot scene. For once, the US wouldn't have deserved their early exit, and we'd all would be wondering what if or what could have been.

We scored with only around 3 minutes left in stoppage time and changed all that. Everything went from bad to worse to sooo good in just a few seconds.

It was inspiring to watch that team battle back time and time again and never give up. It's something we haven't seen in our national soccer team for a LONG LONG LONG time. And I doubt anybody can dispute this but the World Cup IS the biggest stage in sports in the world. Nothing tops it. So for us to do that on the biggest stage was great to witness.

Yeah, we lost to Ghana (again; 2006 they eliminated us), but we still fought till the end in that game. Overall, our early game defense was our downfall (every game had an early goal; Ghana had early goal in exhibition AND early goal in beginning of extra time) But it was definitely the best moment to ME as an avid sports fan.

I'm not discrediting every other moment in 2010, this is just my honest opinion. -_-

SPuL
12/24/2010, 02:39 PM
If we're going by best GAME though, I'd have to say the Eagles-Giants game last weekend. That was just amazing. But then again that's only in the last 8 minutes.

The Duke-Butler game was also really epic.

Then there's that Jon Isner-Mahut match that went to 77-75 in 5th set in wimbledon that spanned 3 days.

Also, the US-Canada hockey gold medal game.

A lot of great games out there.

texaspokieokie
12/24/2010, 03:27 PM
gotta be somethin better than soccer.

Collier11
12/24/2010, 03:32 PM
Isner vs Mahut was just a freak show

SPuL
12/24/2010, 04:43 PM
gotta be somethin better than soccer.

Do I hear an echoooo?

yankee
12/25/2010, 04:29 PM
Without a doubt, the Donovan goal. United a nation. I'm not even a huge soccer fan, and when I watch that goal, it gives me chills and nearly brings me to tears. Truly something I'll never forget.

Mjcpr
12/25/2010, 11:59 PM
OU beats aggy.

SPuL
12/26/2010, 12:31 AM
Without a doubt, the Donovan goal. United a nation. I'm not even a huge soccer fan, and when I watch that goal, it gives me chills and nearly brings me to tears. Truly something I'll never forget.

Exactly. Same with me whenever I watch it. Truly remarkable moment.

texaspokieokie
12/26/2010, 10:16 AM
more echo.

thread title should have been "best soccer moment".

SPuL
12/26/2010, 02:54 PM
I must not be the only one who thinks that, huh?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/07/landon-donovans-goal-wins-best-moment-in-sports-at-espys.html

Eielson
12/26/2010, 09:21 PM
As a whole, the goal against Algeria MIGHT have been the best sports moment for America this year. Not for me, but maybe for the country as a whole. No way in Hell did that unite our country, though.

Collier11
12/26/2010, 09:46 PM
OU beats aggy.

You need to set your sights a little higher :D

GrapevineSooner
12/26/2010, 11:35 PM
I think Spul might be right.

But for the record, I'd like to enter into evidence the US win over Canada in the prelim round of the Olympics in hockey...as well as Zach Parise's last minute goal to tie the Gold Medal match and send it into OT before Sid the Kid won it.

SPuL
12/27/2010, 12:53 AM
^I agree. That run was amazing as well. Had the USA pulled through in OT, I think that would have been the moment for me hands down.

Only thing that made me choose soccer was since in Soccer we aren't considered a powerhouse. Whereas hockey, it's Canada then us on the totem pole. But if we took down Canada IN Canada that would have been BIG. Especially with a game-tying goal with 20 seconds left.

Eielson
12/27/2010, 05:36 PM
I think Spul might be right.

But for the record, I'd like to enter into evidence the US win over Canada in the prelim round of the Olympics in hockey...as well as Zach Parise's last minute goal to tie the Gold Medal match and send it into OT before Sid the Kid won it.

I'd definitely give this the nod over soccer.

Eielson
12/27/2010, 05:38 PM
Only thing that made me choose soccer was since in Soccer we aren't considered a powerhouse. Whereas hockey, it's Canada then us on the totem pole.

I understand the powerhouse argument if we had beaten somebody better than Algeria. I don't know much about international soccer, but I can't imagine that Algeria is on a much higher level than we are.

SPuL
12/27/2010, 09:34 PM
^nah man, it wasn't that we beat Algeria. It's the fact that, we had 2 minutes left before being eliminated from the entire tournament itself. We NEEDED a win to advance.

That goal moved us onto the next round. Had nothing to do with Algeria. It's the run U.S. made into the second round.

They tied soccer powerhouse England 1-1, then followed that with a dramatic comeback against Slovenia after being down 2-0 at halftime. (Even scored what should have been the winning goal, but got it taken away) then to get the goal we needed to move ahead with only minutes remaining made it that magical of a moment.

If you have time, just read the initial article on that link that I wrote. I fully explain my reasoning.