PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions/recipe advice

achiro
12/22/2010, 12:59 PM
Our family always does a finger food style dinner for Christmas eve. I am planning on slow cooking an elk tenderloin on the smoker, then thin slicing it to put it on either a cracker or a small slice of bread. I was thinking of using a really good spicy mustard or an aux jus for it.
Any suggestions on a really great spicy mustard?
Any suggestions on a great aux jus recipe?
Any suggestions on a different condiment?

and Dean, I'm not looking for any of those "why are you ****ing up the best cut on an elk for a damn ordurve":D

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 01:16 PM
Whatever mustard you get can be spruced up with a little horseradish if it's not hot enough. I like Boar's Head stuff when I can find it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OFDFAy-3ovk/SyFJxWWkbzI/AAAAAAAABSc/8S6HRzh1Lgc/s400/Boars+Head.jpg

Tulsa_Fireman
12/22/2010, 01:19 PM
Any suggestions on a really great spicy mustard?

Siegi's Dusseldorf mustard from right here in the friendly confines of Tulsa. Best brown there is, but maybe not what you're looking for. Given elk's taste, I'd recommend a horse radish mustard if you got a boner for a mustard.

Any suggestions on a great aux jus recipe?

Retain your juices from the tenderloin and salt it up with a little water and MAYBE some beef bouillon. But loin on a cracker, at least from my initial perspective, doesn't jive with an au jus at all. Sounds like a soggy mess unless you did a light basting on a slice of toasted bread.

Any suggestions on a different condiment?

With the options at hand, yeah. A nice, simple horseradish sauce with, you guessed it, ground horseradish, sour cream, a splash of lemon juice, and a few cracks of black pepper. It's essentially a horseradish sauce you'd serve with prime rib or filet.

Another suggestion is why do that at all if the angle is A) hors d'ouvres and B) elk tenderloin? A tartare is super easy to do and delicious. Or you could throw three strikes and do a smoked, thinly sliced portion (with the horseradish), a roasted (there's your au jus, baby!), pulled portion, and the tartare (enter your dijon mustard of choice). Serve it all up on thinly sliced, toasted french bread and BLAM.

You're the king of horse doovers.

Oh, and a recipe for that tartare just in case. Again, STOOPIT easy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/13/dining/131brex.html

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 01:24 PM
You could put the elk on some small Pepperage Farm Party Bread Slices you warm up or toast and melt a spicy hot PepperJack Cheese over the elk on the breads in the toaster oven or regular oven too.

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 01:27 PM
This friend of mine once wrapped deer/elk around water crests with a think slice of premium bacon and ran a toothpick through it all to hold it in place. He then cooked a sheet pan of them in the oven and pulled them out and put a nice spicy BBQ sauce on them. Delish. IMO

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 01:28 PM
Also one of those chilled sour cream dill dips can be used as a nice topper too. Find a recipe for one you can make fresh is the best way to go IMO.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/22/2010, 01:34 PM
This.

Sour cream and dill is the shizzle on red meat.

ouleaf
12/22/2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah I'd go with a traditional Horseradish Sauce similar to what you'd serve with prime rib....maybe mix in some crumbled blue cheese as well.

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 02:00 PM
maybe mix in some crumbled blue cheese as well.

Mmmmmm....good idea.

KantoSooner
12/22/2010, 02:38 PM
get some wasabi powder and mix it into mayo to taste. I use this on flank steak grilled and then chilled overnight and sliced thin so pretty close to the same application.
My mouth waters thinking about it.

JohnnyMack
12/22/2010, 02:57 PM
You guys have queered a mustard and smoked meat thread.

Morans.

Fraggle145
12/22/2010, 03:37 PM
Siegi's Dusseldorf mustard from right here in the friendly confines of Tulsa. Best brown there is, but maybe not what you're looking for. Given elk's taste, I'd recommend a horse radish mustard if you got a boner for a mustard.

Retain your juices from the tenderloin and salt it up with a little water and MAYBE some beef bouillon. But loin on a cracker, at least from my initial perspective, doesn't jive with an au jus at all. Sounds like a soggy mess unless you did a light basting on a slice of toasted bread.

With the options at hand, yeah. A nice, simple horseradish sauce with, you guessed it, ground horseradish, sour cream, a splash of lemon juice, and a few cracks of black pepper. It's essentially a horseradish sauce you'd serve with prime rib or filet.

Another suggestion is why do that at all if the angle is A) hors d'ouvres and B) elk tenderloin? A tartare is super easy to do and delicious. Or you could throw three strikes and do a smoked, thinly sliced portion (with the horseradish), a roasted (there's your au jus, baby!), pulled portion, and the tartare (enter your dijon mustard of choice). Serve it all up on thinly sliced, toasted french bread and BLAM.

You're the king of horse doovers.

Oh, and a recipe for that tartare just in case. Again, STOOPIT easy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/13/dining/131brex.html

That sounds ****in good.

achiro
12/22/2010, 04:17 PM
But loin on a cracker, at least from my initial perspective, doesn't jive with an au jus at all. Sounds like a soggy mess unless you did a light basting on a slice of toasted bread.

Yeah, I should have clarified the bread would be used with the aux jus, the mustard would be more for a cracker/cheese application.