PDA

View Full Version : Did Texas A&M get the best bowl bid.....

SteelClip49
12/22/2010, 01:52 AM
out of the Big XII?

The Fiesta Bowl is the premier bid because of the payout and it being a BCS game. But the city is not fun, the so called "Festival of College Football" as the Fiesta Committee dubs it is not really all that festive and many OU fans don't care for the trip anymore. Kansas State and Texas fans will say the same as it's a pointless destination and there is no fun to be had there, win or not.

The Aggies get the Cotton Bowl bid which, IMO, will be a BCS game in five years or less. Cowboys Stadium is nicer and better; more attractive than UofPhx Stadium. TAMU beat both Nebraska and Oklahoma, therefore rightfully so got a better bowl, imo.

The only difference is the payout but other than that, I think TAMU got the best of the deal because Jerry World is a better venue, Dallas clearly trumps Phoenix in entertainment value and it's a centrally located spot for anyone basically.

People want to come to Cowboys Stadium. No one wants to go to Phx Stadium.

I am glad we are in the BCS but the Cotton Bowl sure would be a better bid considering all said above and the opponent. A win over LSU clearly means a whole lot more than a win over UConn.

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2010, 01:55 AM
Saying the Cotton Bowl is a better bowl because Dallas has better strip clubs than Phoenix is just wrong. The BCS bowl is always better if you are primarily concerned with football, which I thought we were as Sooner fans.

prrriiide
12/22/2010, 01:58 AM
Saying the Cotton Bowl is a better bowl because Dallas has better strip clubs than Phoenix is just wrong. The BCS bowl is always better if you are primarily concerned with football, which I thought we were as Sooner fans.

Dallas strippers > Phoenix strippers. Fact.

yermom
12/22/2010, 01:59 AM
i'm going to wager that the weather in Phoenix will be better than Dallas on the day of the game. at least that game isn't outside at 10AM anymore.

and unless you are lower bowl in Cowboys Stadium that place blows. and really, it's only better than other venues if you have sideline seats down low and can see the big screen. the little screens on the ends aren't much to write home about

aTm probably did get the best match up though.

Harry Beanbag
Dallas strippers > Phoenix strippers. Fact.

That's what I've heard. Phoenix strip clubs kinda suck compared to many other cities I've been to.

SteelClip49
Not because of travel convenience, but I guarantee you Cotton Bowl OU alloted tickets would be gone instantly no matter the opponent as opposed to what we are seeing now with lackluster results in Fiesta Bowl Part III

sooner59
12/22/2010, 02:00 AM
The bottom line is that the Fiesta is a BCS bowl and that trumps playing a quality opponent, city, venue, etc.

The Cotton should get a BCS status, IMO. But as it is, we are better off in the BCS.

agoo758
12/22/2010, 02:05 AM
If I understand it correctly, the Fiesta used to be MUCH smaller than it is now, and it remained a small until the Penn State Miami matchup in 1986, which is what led to its rise.

sooner59
12/22/2010, 02:22 AM
Yeah, its a joke that the Fiesta got BCS status and not the Cotton. Its pretty much a joke that the Cotton isn't given that status now as the 5th BCS bowl.

SteelClip49
12/22/2010, 02:28 AM
The Fiesta originally was for Arizona State and its big time mid-major reign as kings of the WAC. It did shape up to be a bigger bowl over the years with, as you said, PSU and Miami. It has gone back and forth though with good and average opponents.

I think what made the Fiesta Bowl stick around was the 1975 ASU win over Nebraska. It finally became a January bowl in the early 80s with the first being PSU and USC following the 1981 season.

I still think it's the premier mid-major bowl as it has been evident with 1990 Louisville, 2004 Utah, 2006 Boise State, 2009 Boise State & TCU. UConn is a so-called BCS team but they still have a lot of "mid-major" flavor and are nowhere near the veracity of Boise, TCU and Utah.

Still, I think with UConn reciving this bid, this is the beginning of the slow end of the Fiesta Bowl being a BCS game. Soon, it will be the highest non-BCS honor as the Cotton will take its place.

Okie35
12/22/2010, 02:29 AM
Best bowl bid, not even close. Better match-up, yea and since they are old rivals it adds to it. If this was before the BCS yea they'd have the better bid.

AlbqSooner
12/22/2010, 07:03 AM
When the BCS as being formed and venues were chosen, it was the weather that tipped the scales to the Fiesta from the Cotton. New Year's Day in an open stadium in Dallas can be a pretty frigid experience.

texaspokieokie
12/22/2010, 08:00 AM
When the BCS as being formed and venues were chosen, it was the weather that tipped the scales to the Fiesta from the Cotton. New Year's Day in an open stadium in Dallas can be a pretty frigid experience.

ditto on this, it's the weather !!!!
being inside negates the weather factor, for the game only. anything
(like celebrating Festivus) to be done outside could be ruined by the weather.

i've been to 2 cotton bowls, one was VERY cold (for an old okie) but the
other (1976) had weather as good as any bowl that was played on that day.
it's a "crap shoot".

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 08:46 AM

Which is why I'd say tamu is getting a decent bowl this time. I've frozen my *** off at the old Cotton Bowl in Dallas too and from my experience at Jerry World a few weeks ago....they are getting a much better Bowl than they would had it been over on the fairgrounds. Are they getting a better bowl than us? Not a chance. We got to beat Nebbishka and send them packing and now get a BCS Bowl Game again. You can't just put location and facility to measure what makes the cotton better than the Feista IMO. I think it's fine to measure BCS Venues against each other as I love going to Miami for the marbles over any of the others.

madillsoonerfan5353
12/22/2010, 08:54 AM
A win over LSU clearly means a whole lot more than a win over UConn.

If we beat Uconn like we should them it's a wash IMO!

:gary:

texaspokieokie
12/22/2010, 08:56 AM
Which is why I'd say tamu is getting a decent bowl this time. I've frozen my *** off at the old Cotton Bowl in Dallas too and from my experience at Jerry World a few weeks ago....they are getting a much better Bowl than they would had it been over on the fairgrounds. Are they getting a better bowl than us? Not a chance. We got to beat Nebbishka and send them packing and now get a BCS Bowl Game again. You can't just put location and facility to measure what makes the cotton better than the Feista IMO. I think it's fine to measure BCS Venues against each other as I love going to Miami for the marbles over any of the others.

but getting to play a 10-2 lsu is better than playing a complete non-(football)entity like uconn. ou can gain nothing by winning while atm can make great strides or at least gain spek. JMHO

team that really got screwed is neb, how did they get matched with a 6-6 team ???

KuppiKunta
12/22/2010, 09:06 AM

And not to mention the Cotton Bowl was a dump at the time and the City of Dallas refused to invest money in it.

Sooner in Tampa
12/22/2010, 09:11 AM
And not to mention the Cotton Bowl was a dump at the time and the City of Dallas refused to invest money in it.

Oh my...KK even made the trip to SoonerFans!

Welcome!!!

sooner518
12/22/2010, 09:16 AM
I can think of plenty of more exciting bowl venues than Arlington. maybe its becuase I live in FW, but there is nothing exciting about the DFW area IMO. As far as locations go, San Diego is the best of the bunch

ATM got a good matchup with LSU and they should have a good home crowd at the death-star.

But I'd take a BCS bowl over any other bowl period. I dont care if its played in Afghanistan.

Jacie
12/22/2010, 09:56 AM
team that really got screwed is neb, how did they get matched with a 6-6 team ???

Then you don't think it had something to do with leaving the Big XII?

texaspokieokie
12/22/2010, 09:58 AM
Then you don't think it had something to do with leaving the Big XII?

no

Mad Dog Madsen
12/22/2010, 10:01 AM

^^^THIS. Especially when they already demolished that same team earlier in the season.

tfoolry
12/22/2010, 10:03 AM
Phoenux sux.

btk108
12/22/2010, 10:30 AM
K State got it.....free trip to New York to play at Yankee Stadium in the New Era Pinstripe bow. Now THAT's a venue.

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 10:31 AM
but getting to play a 10-2 lsu is better than playing a complete non-(football)entity like uconn. ou can gain nothing by winning while atm can make great strides or at least gain spek. JMHO

tamu can go hang that spek in their Trophy Room. Wait...they have to actually win first. My bad.

LSU - 52

tamu - spek

WichitaSooner
12/22/2010, 10:37 AM
The original post is so full of fail...

I am driving to Glendale... I wouldn't be going to the Cotton bowl at all if OU were in it. Jerry's place is a HORRIBLE place to watch a football game and I would take the stadium in Glendale 10 times out of 10 if I had to choose.

mehip
12/22/2010, 10:46 AM
I'll take Phoenix over Dallas any day. Here in Dallas there is nothing to do except eat and shop and the nightlife sucks except for Deep Ellum. I'll take Phoenix's mountains and nightlife over the boredom here in Dallas.

OUmillenium
12/22/2010, 10:48 AM
The Cotton Bowl is the most interesting bowl for me to watch other than the OU game at the Fiesta. Thought about going to the Cotton even.

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2010, 10:53 AM
aTm didn't get a more attractive match-up because they beat OU & NU. That and their overall record got them on the consideration list, but the rest was luck of the draw on what looked attractive to the cotton bowl execs. The bowl system is a perfect example of life's not fair. NU probably got the worst deal given it's a re-match. But there are lots of mid level bowls with just above average AQ conference teams that would be much more interesting if Boise were playing there. We got the "best" bowl we could win on the playing field given we were not good enough for the title game.

olevetonahill
12/22/2010, 11:32 AM

I am driving to Glendale... I wouldn't be going to the Cotton bowl at all if OU were in it. Jerry's place is a HORRIBLE place to watch a football game and I would take the stadium in Glendale 10 times out of 10 if I had to choose.

Ima agree wit ya.
Went to the Big 12 game, Saw it and enjoyed it. Will never go back to that stadium it sucked the big one

SteelClip49
12/22/2010, 01:34 PM

Depends on how old you are.

I am 27 and have made the generalization that both Phoenix and Dallas are great cities but Dallas trumps Phx as a whole. I went to Phoenix for the 2 losses and while it's nice weather wise, there really is nothing exciting to do except maybe eat an In-N-Out burger. Now, if I was to get lucky with some ASU chick in Tempe then I'd change my mind but for now it's Dallas and will always be Dallas.

There is no prestige really with the Fiesta.

The Rose is the granddaddy of them all and I got to enjoy that experience.

The Sugar is the 2nd oldest bowl with the Orange and Sun, and while in a dump of a city, is in a great venue for food, music and entertainment all around. You are likely to find that Heineken dude.

The Orange speaks for itself and OU's 19 appearances (1 being dubbed the BCSNCG). It's Miami. There's a s**t ton to do.

Phoenix is just Phoenix with a pretty sunset and In-N-Out Burgers.

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2010, 01:40 PM

And a BCS bowl game.

WichitaSooner
12/22/2010, 01:46 PM

I am 27 and have made the generalization that both Phoenix and Dallas are great cities but Dallas trumps Phx as a whole. I went to Phoenix for the 2 losses and while it's nice weather wise, there really is nothing exciting to do except maybe eat an In-N-Out burger. Now, if I was to get lucky with some ASU chick in Tempe then I'd change my mind but for now it's Dallas and will always be Dallas.

The Sugar is the 2nd oldest bowl with the Orange and Sun, and while in a dump of a city, is in a great venue for food, music and entertainment all around. You are likely to find that Heineken dude.

The Orange speaks for itself and OU's 19 appearances (1 being dubbed the BCSNCG). It's Miami. There's a s**t ton to do.

I guess when I was 27 I might have been more concerned with the party scene than the actual football game experience when it came to a bowl destination... no, wait a minute... I wasn't a mook then either...

Dude, if you don't get enough partying and womanizing on the other 51 weekends that you need to be THAT concerned about it for the bowl game weekend.... well, then it's just your own damn fault. Or maybe it's just that you really don't care that much about football?

SteelClip49
12/22/2010, 03:06 PM
Oh I get my fair share. But now I am involved so that point is moot.

So you and I will have our differences then, partying related. I never partied much, just some. It was never my style. I liked to have a good time, just not extravagant but I wouldn't mind a party like The Hangover.

Better yet...BCS in Vegas!

EatLeadCommie
12/22/2010, 03:08 PM
The Aggies get the Cotton Bowl bid which, IMO, will be a BCS game in five years or less. Cowboys Stadium is nicer and better; more attractive than UofPhx Stadium. TAMU beat both Nebraska and Oklahoma, therefore rightfully so got a better bowl, imo.

Sounds like a Poke fan complaining to me this weekend that they should've gone to the Cotton Bowl because they beat aTm. Lame sauce.

That said, the Cotton Bowl should and will be a BCS bowl in addition to the Fiesta in a few years. The BXII should and will make the Cotton Bowl its tie-in. At that point, only the Big 10 and to a lesser extent the Big East will have a BCS game tie-in that isn't in their back yard.

Aldebaran
12/22/2010, 03:18 PM
When you have a weak argument, such as the Cotton Bowl is better than a BCS Bowl, you are bound to trot out some weak reasoning.

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2010, 03:31 PM
aTm and LSU both got "you're good but didn't win your division" consolation prizes. It just happens to be an attractive match-up on paper.

I know of 11 big12 teams that would love to be playing Uconn in the Fiesta bowl instead of their alternative reality.

Ruf/Nek7
12/22/2010, 05:50 PM
Not anymore especially if Stevan Ridley is suspended for the game. LSU's top RB (1,042 yds 14 TDs) and main source of offense is appealing the suspension saying it was "a one time incident". If there is no Ridley then I dont see how this game can still have the lust of the matchup. LSU does not throw the ball mainly because of Ridley. This would knock Lsu down a notch and may even give a slight advantage to the ags. Im still picking LSU bc of the defense, but won't be surprised if atm pulls off the upset.

Ruf/Nek7
12/22/2010, 05:53 PM

Dallas is about to get some In-N-Out Burger joints themselves.

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 06:02 PM
When you have a weak argument, such as the Cotton Bowl is better than a BCS Bowl, you are bound to trot out some weak reasoning.

and watch LSU stomp a mudhole on them. The Hatter will run train on them.

Fraggle145
12/22/2010, 07:10 PM
That's what I've heard. Phoenix strip clubs kinda suck compared to many other cities I've been to.

All the hot ones are probably in Tempe. :gary:

ouleaf
12/22/2010, 07:18 PM
I wonder if the Fiesta Bowl will ever look to relocate? Anybody know when their contract runs out with Cardinal's stadium? Might be tough if everyone on the Fiesta Bowl committee live in Arizona though.

yankee
12/22/2010, 08:12 PM
anyone who thinks that watching a football game at jerryworld sucks is off their medications. it may be ridiculously over priced, but that place is still pretty awesome.

oh yeah, and i hope aggy gets their butts handed to them in the bowl. i'm sick of listening to their fans crow about being relevant again. nothing would please me more than to see a team from a conference they wanted to be a part of, beat them down.

BajaOklahoma
12/22/2010, 08:13 PM
Each Bowl has a committee that picks the teams for their Bowl. The order of picking the teams is set by the BCS rules, taking into account the tie-ins.

The Big 12 had no say in which Bowl Nebbish received an invite to nor did they get to pick their opponent. Bugeaters need to take their tin foil hats off.

My husband's boss is on the Cotton Bowl Selection Committee, so we always know who they want and who they think they will get. We had to laugh - aTm got every one of the suites and a high number of the lower section tickets.

mdklatt
12/22/2010, 08:17 PM
Dallas clearly trumps Phoenix in entertainment value

What can you do in Dallas that you can't do in Phoenix? Neither one is really what I'd consider a tourist destination, although Phoenix has more for the outdoor enthusiast. However, if your life's ambition is to always be within walking distance of a Chili's, a Best Buy, and a Home Depot, Dallas is totes tits.

olevetonahill
12/22/2010, 08:20 PM
anyone who thinks that watching a football game at jerryworld sucks is off their medications. it may be ridiculously over priced, but that place is still pretty awesome.

oh yeah, and i hope aggy gets their butts handed to them in the bowl. i'm sick of listening to their fans crow about being relevant again. nothing would please me more than to see a team from a conference they wanted to be a part of, beat them down.

Bet you like Boinkin the Fat uglies wimmens to huh?:rolleyes:

lasooner123
12/22/2010, 09:40 PM
5 yrs from now noone will remember who we played(outside of ou fans) so id rather say we won a bcs bowl than second place in big 12 bol

Penguin
12/22/2010, 10:12 PM
I have no idea why the Big 12 BCS tie-in is the Fiesta Bowl. It should have been the Orange Bowl, end of discussion.

mdklatt
12/22/2010, 10:16 PM
I have no idea why the Big 12 BCS tie-in is the Fiesta Bowl.

I blame *.

yankee
12/22/2010, 10:32 PM
Bet you like Boinkin the Fat uglies wimmens to huh?:rolleyes:

yea you are off your meds, aren't you?

olevetonahill
12/22/2010, 11:23 PM
yea you are off your meds, aren't you?

You really are a Dayum Yankee aint ya?
:rolleyes:

BoulderSooner79
12/23/2010, 12:37 AM
I have no idea why the Big 12 BCS tie-in is the Fiesta Bowl. It should have been the Orange Bowl, end of discussion.

But I had more to say about this... oh, ratz.

yankee
12/23/2010, 01:09 AM
You really are a Dayum Yankee aint ya?
:rolleyes:

do you always have a stick up your ***?

olevetonahill
12/23/2010, 01:11 AM
do you always have a stick up your ***?

Quit lookin

yankee
12/23/2010, 01:31 AM
Quit lookin

so you ARE a fat ugly woman. thought so.

olevetonahill
12/23/2010, 07:38 AM
so you ARE a fat ugly woman. thought so.

Go **** yerself:rolleyes:

mightysooner
12/23/2010, 08:10 PM
Dallas hoses balls compared to Phoenix. It's not even close.

OUthunder
12/23/2010, 09:09 PM
Just what I want as an OU fan, another ****ing game in the state of Texas. A bowl game too? **** that!

I'm glad to be going somewhere else besides Texas for the New Year.

silverwheels
12/23/2010, 10:06 PM
Dallas is quite possibly the most overrated city in the country, if not the world.

That said, the current BCS contract is up in 2014 and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cotton Bowl get included and the Big 12 tie-in get moved in the next contract. **** the Fiesta Bowl. We had no history with that bowl until the BCS started.

SoonerShark
12/23/2010, 10:12 PM
I would not pay the $520.00 for two tickets in Sec. 246 in Arizona that OU wanted to sell me. I am tired of padding someone else's pocket. Get practical, people in charge. We won't be fooled forever.

FtwTxSooner
12/24/2010, 01:44 PM

Blame the BCS and its predecessor the Bowl Alliance. The Bowl Alliance did away with the bowl tie-ins for the Orange and Sugar. Conference champins weren't anchored like in the BCS. The Rose chose to keep their tie-ins. The Orange Bowl didn't feel it needed to keep the Big 8 tie-in.

The BCS came along and chose to anchor an east coast team, with the bowl on the east coast, the Orange Bowl.

yermom
12/24/2010, 02:36 PM

there are way too many seats in the stadium that you'd be better off at home with. and the SRO areas pad attendance numbers, but suck real hard if you actually want to watch the game.

no thanks.

olevetonahill
12/24/2010, 02:54 PM
there are way too many seats in the stadium that you'd be better off at home with. and the SRO areas pad attendance numbers, but suck real hard if you actually want to watch the game.

no thanks.

Yup, Dave, I dont think the kid has been to very many games .;)