PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry, but Uconn shouldn't be on the same field as us

landrun
12/21/2010, 08:28 PM
I'm not trying to bash them. If this were girl's basketball, they'd own us. But this is football. These guys aren't in our league.

I spent a few minutes looking over their recruiting classes. They have two, ... *TWO* ... 4*(start) recruits in the last 5 years. 1 LB 1 wideout. The rest are 3 stars and 2 stars.

If recruiting rankings mean anything at all (and I think they do), these guys shouldn't be within 4 TDs of us. Our players are faster, stronger, bigger in every way.

If some pencil-neck reporter isn't bashing Stoops after this game for running up the score, I'll be disappointed.

I want our defense to force the issue up front all night and completely shut them down. Shut them out. And keep their back below 100 yards rushing. I want to see an Iowa State type performance on January 1st.

:pop:

85sooners
12/21/2010, 08:33 PM
Let's bend them over and f them in the A$$ in front of the nation:eek:

NorthernIowaSooner
12/21/2010, 08:34 PM
i think you put a little too much emphasis on recruiting rankings, im sure uconn has beat plenty of teams that rank higher then them in recruiting. i think our team is much better but i dont base that on recruiting rankings.

there are a lot of five star busts and 1, 2 and 3 star kids who turn out to be studs

rekamrettuB
12/21/2010, 08:34 PM
Sure they belong. They won their conference and are awarded a BCS bowl game.

BoulderSooner79
12/21/2010, 08:37 PM
Team work and coaching mean as much as recruiting stars (a good thing, IMO).

...and I don't believe for a second you are sorry.

Jacie
12/21/2010, 08:42 PM
If recruiting rankings mean anything at all . . .

. . . then sa*et would have broken the Sooner's record of 47-straight and be headed to the third consecutive BSC championship.

I think there's a little more to it than that.

nBoSTP
12/21/2010, 08:45 PM
I thought Zach Fraser was pretty highly touted coming out of High School attending Notre Dame then later transfering to UCONN when Clausen came in.

MyT Oklahoma
12/21/2010, 09:08 PM
I used to think Boise State didn't belong in the same bowl game as us too once upon a time.

However, I sure hope our players don't think so (that UConn doesn't belong) and just prepare for this game as they should.

VA Sooner
12/21/2010, 09:10 PM
I'm cynical about recruitment ratings most times. Lots of 5-star busts... something happens at the college level and the demands are different. As well as psychosocial challenges of leaving high school, being on campus.

Coaching a "lesser star" recruit matters more and the drive to succeed.

Look at Bradford did as a three-star recruit from PC North. Determination, drive and good coaching.

sooner ngintunr
12/21/2010, 09:12 PM

Whet
12/21/2010, 09:17 PM
UConn won their conference and they belong in the bowl. Their team plays "smash-mouth" football, much like the pro teams in the area. They have an all american running back, the biggest and strongest O-line that opens up huge holes for the running back. Their defense is overwhelming, with a couple of great LBs. OU has not face a power running team, like UConn, all year. Look how many yards AF picked up on OU.

.... We should not take them lightly, regardless of the strength of their conference, number of losses, or the lack of 5-star recruits.

We will need to win and win convincingly, but it will not be easy.

Breadburner
12/21/2010, 09:19 PM
They spanked Cinci pretty good......

usaosooner
12/21/2010, 09:27 PM
Hello OP I'd like to introduce you Boise State...

SoonerLB
12/21/2010, 09:45 PM
UConn won their conference and they belong in the bowl. Their team plays "smash-mouth" football, much like the pro teams in the area. They have an all american running back, the biggest and strongest O-line that opens up huge holes for the running back. Their defense is overwhelming, with a couple of great LBs. OU has not face a power running team, like UConn, all year. Look how many yards AF picked up on OU.

.... We should not take them lightly, regardless of the strength of their conference, number of losses, or the lack of 5-star recruits.

We will need to win and win convincingly, but it will not be easy.

Well said!

AlboSooner
12/21/2010, 09:46 PM
I am glad the players and coaches don't think this way.

MR2-Sooner86
12/21/2010, 09:49 PM
I hate to dig this up but some people really need to get their head out of their ***.

Date: Nov. 24, 2001
Place: Owen Field, Norman, Okla.
Score: Oklahoma State 16, Oklahoma 13

Defending national champion Oklahoma was a heavy favorite heading into its regular-season finale, needing only to beat struggling Oklahoma State to wrap up its second-straight Big 12 South title under Bob Stoops.

The Sooners' hopes looked that much brighter after OSU starter Aso Pogi struggled in the first quarter, throwing two interceptions that sparked the insertion of freshman quarterback Josh Fields into the game.

One of the stories of the game was the transformation of the Cowboy defense, only a week after it was gashed for 517 yards by Baylor. But OSU repeatedly tormented Oklahoma quarterback Nate Hybl, who threw three interceptions and was sacked seven times.

Still, the Sooners led for much of the game. Quentin Griffin gave the Sooners an early lead in the second quarter on an 8-yard TD run. The Sooners held a 10-6 halftime lead after Tim Duncan added a 23-yard field goal sandwiched around a pair of field goals by Oklahoma State kicker Luke Phillips.

The two teams exchanged field goals early in the fourth quarter, setting the stage for Fields' late heroics. Phillips nailed consecutive 52-yard field goals to keep the Cowboys close.

After forcing its third consecutive three-and-out possession, OSU got the ball on the Oklahoma 35. Fields completed only three passes on the game-winning drive but he made them all count.

Fields first connected with Rashaun Woods on a 15-yard strike. He then kept the drive alive with a clutch third-down 31-yard pass to T.D. Bryant. On the next play, Fields hooked up again with Woods on a 14-yard game-winning TD toss with 1:36 left.

Oklahoma had one more chance, but Hybl's desperation pass was intercepted by Marcus Jones.

The victory touched off a wild celebration all across Texas after the Longhorns claimed an appearance in the Big 12 championship game. And it prematurely interrupted a barbecue celebration at the home of Texas defensive coordinator Carl Reese, who immediately went to work to prepare for the Longhorns' game against Colorado the next week.

Woods produced eight receptions for 129 yards, giving him 80 for the season and breaking the then-school record of 74 set by Hart Lee Dykes in 1988. Oklahoma was limited to zero net yards of rushing on 27 carries. And the loss snapped a 19-game home winning streak for Oklahoma, including the first 18 home games under Stoops.

"They are a good football team. They finally got an opportunity to show someone else," OSU coach Les Miles, describing his team's performance to reporters after the game.

"I don't think we came into this game unprepared and looking ahead to next week. The team was outplayed and I was outcoached. That's really the only excuse I have for this loss," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, reflecting on his first-ever home loss with the Sooners.

The loss kept Oklahoma from the Big 12 championship game. Texas went in the Sooners' place, losing a 39-37 decision to Colorado in a game that will be described in detail later in this series.

The Sooners finished the season 11-2 with a 10-3 victory over Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl, wrapping up the season at No. 6 in the final AP poll.

The upset boosted OSU to 4-7 with victories in its final two games. That fast finish help set the stage for an 8-5 record the following season and a trip to the Houston Bowl - the first post-season appearance under Miles and the Cowboys' first bowl trip since 1997.

Since then, Stoops has lost only other home game, a 17-10 season-opening loss to TCU in 2005. Stoops is 60-2 at Owen Field, including a current 24-game winning streak.

Don't be a ****ing idiot like a whole lot of people I'm seeing on this site on the subject. Anybody can beat anybody on any given day and with our BCS bowl record, you can't go in cocky because we haven't earned the right to be cocky.

sooner ngintunr
12/21/2010, 09:52 PM
I want our defense to force the issue up front all night and completely shut them down. Shut them out. And keep their back below 100 yards rushing. I want to see an Iowa State type performance on January 1st.

yep. If anyone disagrees with this they are complete morans.

soonerbub
12/21/2010, 10:15 PM
Sure they belong. They won their conference and are awarded a BCS bowl game.

we got a bingo

sooner ngintunr
12/21/2010, 10:26 PM
Sure they belong, just not in the same sentence with OU Football.

fify.;)

Leroy Lizard
12/21/2010, 10:47 PM
I'm not trying to bash them. If this were girl's basketball, they'd own us. But this is football. These guys aren't in our league.

I spent a few minutes looking over their recruiting classes. They have two, ... *TWO* ... 4*(start) recruits in the last 5 years. 1 LB 1 wideout. The rest are 3 stars and 2 stars.

If recruiting rankings mean anything at all (and I think they do), these guys shouldn't be within 4 TDs of us. Our players are faster, stronger, bigger in every way.

If some pencil-neck reporter isn't bashing Stoops after this game for running up the score, I'll be disappointed.

Aren't you also the one who wrote the following?

It is factual that we have the best offense and best defense Mizzou has faced all year. They are neither the best offense nor defense we've faced all year.

How did that work out for us?

sooner ngintunr
12/21/2010, 10:50 PM

How did it work out? Would we be playing somewhere else if we would have won that game?

Leroy Lizard
12/21/2010, 10:59 PM
How did it work out? Would we be playing somewhere else if we would have won that game?

Sure, but that's hardly the point.

You can look up the team strengths on paper all you want. They suit up 11 guys just like we do. If we come out tight (which has happened all too often) they can get an early lead and hold on.

They can win this game if our team doesn't play well. So absolutely they belong on the same field as us. So did Boise. So did West Virginia. Just ask Texas what happens when you try to mail in victories.

sooner ngintunr
12/21/2010, 11:03 PM
They suit up 11 guys just like we do.

You've been watching too much Dr. Lou.:P

BoulderSooner79
12/21/2010, 11:51 PM

No. We'd be in the same bowl against the same opponent.

85sooners
12/21/2010, 11:58 PM

RahOkU
12/22/2010, 12:04 AM
Let's bend them over and f them in the A$$ in front of the nation:eek:
Thanks for putting that so delicately..........
:P

landrun
12/22/2010, 02:30 AM
Aren't you also the one who wrote the following?

We lost. But we shouldn't have. We are the better team.
We laid an egg that night and got beat by a lesser opponent.

And we should beat Uconn easily.

THE-JROD
12/22/2010, 02:45 AM
Sure, but that's hardly the point.

You can look up the team strengths on paper all you want. They suit up 11 guys just like we do. If we come out tight (which has happened all too often) they can get an early lead and hold on.

They can win this game if our team doesn't play well. So absolutely they belong on the same field as us. So did Boise. So did West Virginia. Just ask Texas what happens when you try to mail in victories.

Are you so sure about that? An 8-4 Big east team?? Come on now!! That comment right there should be on ESPN for the COME ON MAN!!!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/22/2010, 08:47 AM
I thought Zach Fraser was pretty highly touted coming out of High School attending Notre Dame then later transfering to UCONN when Clausen came in.

Yeah, Zach musta been run off when Clausen had that press conference. LOL!

CBUS_SOONER
12/22/2010, 08:58 AM
I recall many teams that didn't belong on the field with us who we have lost to...

rekamrettuB
12/22/2010, 09:35 AM
They suit up 11 guys just like we do.

UConn only suits up 11? They play iron man football and pray for no injuries? Pretty sure OU suits up like 80 or so.

Keller Sooner
12/22/2010, 09:50 AM
We might not belong on the same field with them. Their players are physical and lift weights, plus, they are studying film on us. I read this on their board. They are coming after us because no one is giving them any respect.

SoonerNutt
12/22/2010, 11:55 AM
It doesn't matter at this point who belongs where. We have to play the game that is scheduled.

UConn is not a great team, but they are a pretty good team, and those recruiting ranking don't mean jack. There are many teams out there who have "out-recruited" UConn but weren't as good as them this year. What they have going for them is experience.

That is how you build a team if you can't recruit with the big boys. Look at their offense.

QB - 5th year Sr.
OL - Average 4.2 years in the system, with one Redshirt Soph being the youngest starter
Overall starters avg 3.9 years in the system. The youngest starters are Redshirt Sophomores at TE and RT.

On D, there are a bit younger, averaging 3.5 years in the system amongst the starters. However, it seems they have recruited more quality young talent to play D than on O. They have 2 Soph DE's starting, and 3 Redshirt Sophs in their secondary. They do have 2 5th year Senior LBs starting though.

I know, age isn't everything, but when you are a mid-major and not attracting elite athletes, you win with recruiting for balance and having JRs and SRs throughout your starting lineup.

Overall, they are a very experienced team, and that is why they won their conference. They don't have our athletic talent, but they are salty and probably aren't going to get caught up in the emotion of it all.

So, IMO, we need to jump on them and make sure they know they aren't in a cometitive game from the start. The longer they stay in the game, the more all the experience matters.

TahoeSOONER
12/22/2010, 12:46 PM
I think any time you play a team that is playing for its program defining win, and is a conference champion, with a 5 game winning streak then you'd better take them seriously.

As fans we wanted the marquee matchup under the lights with a big name, I understand. It wasn't in the cards but we're in another BCS game and we got some demons to confront.

Dan Thompson
12/22/2010, 12:52 PM
What you say is true and I agree with you 100%, IF, we come to play like the FSt game, and not the USt game.

MR2-Sooner86
12/22/2010, 02:11 PM
Yup, UConn doesn't belong on the same field as us. I mean OU has never overlooked a far lesser opponent under Stoops. Nope, never has and never will. All this stuff about being "prepared" and "ready" is silly talk. Yup, we've killed the little guy every single time.

p2x-gV-S46c

LesNessman
12/22/2010, 02:48 PM

Quite possibly in the NC game, as they might also have beaten A&M and gone undefeated.

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2010, 03:37 PM
Quite possibly in the NC game, as they might also have beaten A&M and gone undefeated.

I don't see the logic. I guess if we had beaten Mizzou then it meant we were a better team and thus may have beaten aTm? Well, sure - if we were better we'd have a better chance to win. Reality is we lost by more than 1 score in both those games and got totally owned in the 4th qtr. Not NC material this year, but I'm very happy with the conference crown.

EatLeadCommie
12/22/2010, 03:53 PM
UConn plays to our strengths, but we have concerns of our own...

1) Can we clog up the middle?
2) Can we convert RZ possessions to TDs instead of hoping for lil' Jimmy to not shank a 30+ yarder (their D is known for bending but not breaking, particularly in the RZ)?
3) Can we rely on Landry to not make dumb mistakes, or can we at least overcome those mistakes as we have in the last 2 games?
4) Can we rely on our youth to overcome UConn's experience (always a bigger factor than people like to acknowledge in these games)?
5) Can we play better than we did in away games against lesser opponents in aTm in Mizzou (I'm sorry, but we should've smoked both those teams)?

Now if you broke down their list of "can we" questions, they'd have more than we do, but that doesn't matter.

There are a lot of ifs, ands, and buts in this game as there are with most matchups. It's not like these guys are North Texas and we should be comfortable with the quality of competition. They're a BCS conference champ, and should be treated accordingly.

My guess is we'll be rusty and the board will flip out, but their strengths play to our strengths and we end up winning something like 34-17.

Leroy Lizard
12/22/2010, 04:05 PM
I think the first two drives are crucial. If we can come out and play in a non-psycho manner right out the gate, I think we'll be okay. We don't need to score on the first two drives, but we can't shank a punt, throw a pick-six, fumble a kickoff...

In other words, we need to calm down at the very get-go.

BoulderSooner79
12/22/2010, 04:39 PM
5) Can we play better than we did in away games against lesser opponents in aTm in Mizzou (I'm sorry, but we should've smoked both those teams)?

You saw different games than I did - must be a timezone thing.

But Uconn is not as good as Mizzou or aTm; at least not those teams playing at home.

ruf/nekdad
12/22/2010, 04:39 PM
Not been our MO so far.