PDA

View Full Version : Don't Get No Respect, No Respect at All.

Sooner_Tuf
12/20/2010, 07:25 PM
No Respect (http://www.joecasaletto.com/sounds/wav/norespect.wav)

STORRS, Conn. -- The Connecticut football team is growing a bit weary of being labeled an up-and-coming program and underdogs of the bowl season.

After three bowl wins and four consecutive postseason appearances, coach Randy Edsall said Monday his team has earned some respect, and should no longer be considered overachievers.

"I think maybe we've maybe erased that kind of a stigma," he said. "This is our fifth bowl ... we've won two conference championships."

But UConn (8-4) has been a Bowl Subdivision team for less than a decade and is going into its first BCS game, New Year's Day's Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, as a 17-point underdog to Oklahoma (11-2).

The Sooners come into the game with a slightly more impressive history, having won seven national championships and 43 conference titles.

Connecticut linebacker Scott Lutrus said the Sooners, who average over 478 yards on offense, look fast on film, but not scary.

"They're a team like anyone else," he said. "We've played and beaten great teams and great offenses before."

The Huskies ended the regular season with five consecutive wins, including the tiebreaking victories over Big East conference co-champions West Virginia and Pittsburgh.

Much of that had to do with the play of tailback Jordan Todman, the conference's offensive player of the year. He ran for 113 yards against the Mountaineers, 222 against the Panthers and is averaging 143 yards per game.

"They all tried to stop us," Todman said. "But we earned our respect, we earned where we are today."

With the Huskies putting up 145 yards per game through the air, it's no secret that they will try to run the ball in Arizona too.

"That's who we are," said Edsall. "That's who we have to be."

Quarterback Zach Frazer understands that. The senior transfer from Notre Dame is 8-1 in starts after October, and said he has no problem being the guy who simply manages the game.

"If you're not managing the game, who is?" he said. "Being conservative, or anything like that, I feel like we're just doing what works, and our game plan can vary from one game to another," he said.

UConn will practice through Wednesday, then take a break for the Christmas holiday. The players head to Arizona on the 26th.

As for being underdogs, defensive tackle Kendall Reyes said UConn has played that role in every big game since he's been here. They've never been picked in the preseason to finish higher than fourth in the Big East.

A year ago, they were five-point underdogs to South Carolina in the PapaJohn's Bowl, before winning that game 20-7.

"We're going to be up-and-coming until we win a national championship," Reyes said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/news/story?id=5939602

SoonerLB
12/20/2010, 07:32 PM
Hope they're up for the long bus ride back to Stoors while licking their wounds and moaning about their loss by such a lop-sided final score. ;)

BajaOklahoma
12/20/2010, 07:56 PM
I hate whiners.

Whet
12/20/2010, 07:57 PM
express your thoughts here:

Boneyard (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2873)

fadada1
12/20/2010, 07:58 PM
the pokes are a perennial "up and coming" team as well. all that seems to get them are wrestling championships, rodeo crowns, and livestock judging championships. kudos to uconn for actually making a bowl game that doesn't require a quality GPS system to find the stadium or google search to research the sponsor.

mdklatt
12/20/2010, 08:07 PM
"This our fifth bowl ... we've won two conference championships."

Bless their hearts.

soonerguild
12/20/2010, 09:03 PM
Just goes to show you what watching games with school colored goggles will do. They have a whole thread that is essentially them trying to say we aren't that good and that there are not matchup problems all over the field.

Last I checked they aren't even ranked. Lots of so so teams get ranked, thats all I'm sayin.

rekamrettuB
12/20/2010, 09:11 PM
"They're a team like anyone else," he said. "We've played and beaten great teams and great offenses before."

I'm waiting on this list of great teams and great offenses. I'm not saying OU is a great team or has a great offense either...just curious who these W's were racked up against.

VA Sooner
12/20/2010, 09:19 PM
Caution to our Boys... don't read too much about the media hype, don't read too much about being favored. The team that shows up focused and executes better will win, no matter how much talent each individual is.

Just play well and bring us back our long-awaited Fiesta Bowl Trophy.

birddog
12/20/2010, 09:36 PM
the games i don't even consider worrying about always end up in a sf.com meltdown by many a folk round here.

rekamrettuB
12/20/2010, 09:46 PM
Caution to our Boys... don't read too much about the media hype, don't read too much about being favored. The team that shows up focused and executes better will win, no matter how much talent each individual is.

Just play well and bring us back our long-awaited Fiesta Bowl Trophy.

Already have one. Beat Wyoming..the last unranked team OU played in the Fiesta Bowl...41-7 in 1976. So, if history tells us anything it is OU will win by 30+.

85sooners
12/20/2010, 09:47 PM
:pop:

Sooner_Tuf
12/20/2010, 10:08 PM
They beat Temple, ummm no they didn't.

Seriously they did beat South Carolina. Not this year though.

CrimsonRez
12/20/2010, 10:43 PM
South Carolina would beat that *** this year. They'll get their respect, The Hammer will respect their quarterback into submission resulting in 5 sacks for him.

madillsoonerfan5353
12/20/2010, 11:02 PM
:gary:

soonerfaninalabama
12/20/2010, 11:26 PM
They think OUr defense is not good. I hope the football players go into that game with the same thinking...watch OUt!!! Beal and Lewis IN YOUR FACE!

BoulderSooner79
12/21/2010, 12:14 AM
Uconn did sneak into the last rankings on some polls (poles?)

Whet
12/21/2010, 12:18 AM
AP pole.

AlboSooner
12/21/2010, 12:27 AM
Too bad. Cuz this OU is in no mood for a letdown.

Eielson
12/21/2010, 01:22 AM
I'd be more intimidated if we were playing their women's basketball team.

2121Sooner
12/21/2010, 01:43 AM
[QUOTE=Sooner_Tuf;3090498The Sooners come into the game with a slightly more impressive history, having won seven national championships and 43 conference titles.
[/QUOTE]

This is like if the OU womens basketball team were to play the Uconn womens hoops teams for the national championship and saying Uconn has a "slightly more impressive history" STFU already, your football team is the best of a ****e conference.

Really I am getting tired of this crap from a low lying football program that is the winner of a crappy conference. I live in Seattle and know about shiity football winning a division and the ability of that team to play with the big boys.

I cant wait for the Sooners to hang-half-a-hundred on them!

BOOMER!!!!

OKLA21FAN
12/21/2010, 08:13 AM
No Respect (http://www.joecasaletto.com/sounds/wav/norespect.wav)

STORRS, Conn. -- The Connecticut football team is growing a bit weary of being labeled an up-and-coming program and underdogs of the bowl season.

team on the rise???? :pop:

OUSoonerdude21
12/21/2010, 09:38 AM
:D

SoonerNutt
12/21/2010, 10:33 AM
reading that article, you'd think they didn't loses four games to unranked teams this year.

Had their been one decent team in the big east this season, they would have run the table on that pathetic conference. Instead, Uconn won a pillow-fight to see which below-average team gets to make a mockery of the BCS bowl selection process.

BoomerJack
12/21/2010, 10:57 AM
The more I read that stuff on that board, the more I hope that we just stomp mudhole in 'em. So big and so badly, that the guy from ESPN (Mike Lupica, I believe it was) writes another piece ripping that mean ol' Bob Stoops for running up the score against a hapless opponent.

sooner518
12/21/2010, 11:09 AM
i hope our guys come out pizzed off at the world. I hope our offense starts out fast and runs no-huddle plays while the UCONN D is trying to sub in guys and wondering what the hell is going on a la Florida State. I hope they get 3 illegal subsitution penalties in the first half because they cant handle the pace. I hope our D loads up on the run, pressures their QB on every play and hits em in the mouth.

i am really ready for this game already!

TahoeSOONER
12/21/2010, 11:19 AM
The talk will end soon enough.

badger
12/21/2010, 11:29 AM
Maybe we can put this in terms they can understand...

You know how you feel when teams try to end your womens basketball team's winning streak? They try to say that they have a chance of beating you guys and you just laugh? Yeah, that's how we feel going up against you. Sure, there's a chance that your winning streak will end or OU will lose the Fiesta Bowl, but it's highly, HIGHLY unlikely.