PDA

View Full Version : Toothache

Penguin
12/20/2010, 11:45 AM
I've been suffering from a 5 alarm toothache for about 5 days now. I'm going to the dentist at 4 today. He can drill, pull it, smash it, nuke it, whatever, just make it stop hurting! :mad:

I would ask for any home remedies for a toothache, but I've realized one thing: they don't work! (at least not more than 15 minutes)

The
12/20/2010, 11:45 AM
Cocaine.

Penguin
12/20/2010, 11:58 AM
I just want a full night's sleep. :mad:

The
12/20/2010, 12:00 PM
Heroin.

DIB
12/20/2010, 12:01 PM
Mescaline

StoopTroup
12/20/2010, 12:02 PM
After he yanks that tooth out and you get dry socket...remember to at least try this.

http://kitup.military.com/photos/uncategorized/toothache_relief.gif

I suggest wringing out the tiny cotton ball a bit before jamming it in where your tooth was. Get a spit cup too. After a month or so...it clears right up and in a year you can have them put in an implanted tooth.

http://www.dentists.gr/files/dentist-images/implant_meta1.jpg

YWIA :D

Jello Biafra
12/20/2010, 01:02 PM
I've been suffering from a 5 alarm toothache for about 5 days now. I'm going to the dentist at 4 today. He can drill, pull it, smash it, nuke it, whatever, just make it stop hurting! :mad:

I would ask for any home remedies for a toothache, but I've realized one thing: they don't work! (at least not more than 15 minutes)

protein shakes....THE knows what im talking about.

usaosooner
12/20/2010, 01:15 PM
Rinse with Hydrogen Peroxide to clean the bacteria out real quick.. Then crush a aspirin and rub it on the gums around the tooth. It'll knock the pain WAY down

The
12/20/2010, 01:43 PM
protein shakes....THE knows what im talking about.

This sentence makes no sense.

DIB
12/20/2010, 01:46 PM
This sentence makes no sense.

Your face makes no sense

The
12/20/2010, 01:54 PM
Your face makes no sense

Your makes no sense.

Fraggle145
12/20/2010, 02:05 PM
I have no cents. :(

Penguin
12/20/2010, 02:47 PM
I'm not getting near enough sympathy on here! :mad:

I can only eat mushy foods and I can only sleep 2 hours at a time! Feel sorry for me!!!

DIB
12/20/2010, 02:48 PM
Did you try the Mescaline?

Fraggle145
12/20/2010, 02:52 PM

I can only eat mushy foods and I can only sleep 2 hours at a time! Feel sorry for me!!!

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/24/128982766429299935.jpg

NormanPride
12/20/2010, 02:56 PM

You sound like you're a baby. Babies have it ****ing made.

Baby.

Penguin
12/20/2010, 08:12 PM
I got an appointment for a root canal first thing in the morning. Between the pain and the stress, looks like a pretty sleepless night is on tap for me.

StoopTroup
12/20/2010, 08:48 PM
I got an appointment for a root canal first thing in the morning. Between the pain and the stress, looks like a pretty sleepless night is on tap for me.

My root canal was the first thing they did before they ground it out....in which case....remember the advice I gave you above. :D

soonercruiser
12/20/2010, 09:30 PM
Rinse with Hydrogen Peroxide to clean the bacteria out real quick.. Then crush a aspirin and rub it on the gums around the tooth. It'll knock the pain WAY down

TOTAL COMPLETE MORON!!!
TRYING TO HURT SOMEONE GOOD????
Aspriin should never....NEVER..... be placed directly in contact with the oral muosa for any period of time!!
If somehow it soaked in on a very surface problem....sure you feel somewhat better about the toothache.
Because now you'd be distracted by the WHOPPING SECOND DEGREE ASPIRIN BURN!!!

FREE PROFESSIONAL ADVICE!

For Severe Oral Pain - the best approach is a combo of....1) an anti-inflammatory drug like Motrin (Ibuprofen) 600-800 mg, spread out 3 times a day (no more); and 2) a centrally acting pain reliever like codiene or oxycodone.
Most severe oral pain is deep in the bone at the apex of the tooth roots where the nerve or puss from a dead nerve comes out. So, although even a broad spectrum antibiotice like Penicillin (500mg, 4 times a day for 7-10 days) will cool down the infection; it will not be treating the cause. To cure the nerve cause, you either do a root canal, or take the offending tooth out.

**Hydrogen Peroxide - great for swishing and irrigating gum infections and deep gum pockets - near the surface with anaerobic bacteria.
BUT....never....NEVER....immediately after a tooth extraction!!!
Then, it would break up the blood clot and cause a dry socket (bone exposed).
Only warm salt water, gently rolling around the mouth 24 hours after an extraction. And, only light swishing warm salt water 48 hours after. After 24 hours, you can begin gently wiping the area with your tooth brush to keep it clean. There is no way to get rid of that bitter blot clot taste - is (Hemosiderin) a byproduct of the eventual breakdown of the clot and replacement with connective tissue.
Hydrogen Peroxide has no place in cleaning immediately after a tooth extraction!

FREE PROFESSIONAL ADVICE! :D
Disclaimer: Alawys seek the advice of a professional who can actually examine you and see the problem to diagnose it correctly.
Do not take any of these medicines if you are allergic to them!
Meaning don't take Motrin if you allergic to aspirin - as it and many anti-inflammatory medicines are actually aspirin deravatives.

AlbqSooner
12/20/2010, 09:32 PM
Try putting ice on the tooth. Have some warm water ready in case that doesn't work. Normally cold hurts your teeth, but if you have an abcess, for some reason ice eases the pain. Seriously!

StoopTroup
12/20/2010, 09:35 PM
TOTAL COMPLETE MORON!!!
TRYING TO HURT SOMEONE GOOD????
Aspriin should never....NEVER..... be placed directly in contact with the oral muosa for any period of time!!
If somehow it soaked in on a very surface problem....sure you feel better about the toothache.
Because now you'd be distracted by the WHOPPING SECOND DEGREE ASPRIRIN BURN!!!

More to come

Necrosis of epithelium?

Penguin
12/20/2010, 09:37 PM
Try putting ice on the tooth. Have some warm water ready in case that doesn't work. Normally cold hurts your teeth, but if you have an abcess, for some reason ice eases the pain. Seriously!

Yeah, I noticed that. Ice and brushing my teeth and gums make it stop hurting. On the second day of my toothache, I was brushing my teeth every hour!

soonercruiser
12/20/2010, 09:54 PM

Yes! If the pain is caused by abscessing of the nerve (in the early acute stages), heat can actually make the pain worst.

Heat making the pain worst is considered "diagnostic" for an abscessed tooth.

soonercruiser
12/20/2010, 10:04 PM
Necrosis of epithelium?

Nope!
Half the time you can scuff off the epithelium just by brushing too hard, banging the hard end of the tooth brush against your gums; or being too agressive with tortilla chips.
I'm talkin' burn & subsequent necrosis (breakdown) of even the deeper connective tissue. I'd say an aspirin, and about a minute will do it.
Anybody use "Compound W" for wart removal? In a minute or two it has dried, and has already destroyed the wart about a millimeter deep. That's only Salicylic acid. Aspirin is Acetylsalicylic acid. You get the extra molecule attached for free!

StoopTroup
12/20/2010, 11:09 PM
So an aspirin a day won't keep the dentist away. wow.

SC Sooner
12/21/2010, 09:24 AM
Get a bottle of your favorite bourbon. Take a swig about every 5 min. swish it around your tooth, repeat until the bottle is empty. Either your tooth will not be hurting, or you just won't care anymore.

Cheez-It
12/21/2010, 09:32 AM
First of all you should NEVER wait 5 days when you have a toothache. BUT after the root canal you will feel so much better PLUS you will get a prescription of pain medication that will last you through Christmas...NOT that anyone should need heavy prescription drugs through the holiday.

Harry Beanbag
12/21/2010, 09:44 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zCl46BlT4_I/RfUPjZhweDI/AAAAAAAACQY/yEOLaNa8rao/s400/castaway-5tooth.jpg

Penguin
12/21/2010, 12:32 PM
Well, the root canal really wasn't too bad. It was very nerve-wracking, but it was pain-free. Of course, I may feel differently when the novocaine wears off. My vicodin might be my new best friend for a few days.

tcrb
12/21/2010, 02:40 PM
Well, the root canal really wasn't too bad. It was very nerve-wracking, but it was pain-free. Of course, I may feel differently when the novocaine wears off. My vicodin might be my new best friend for a few days.

:)

pphilfran
12/21/2010, 03:37 PM
Slam your hand in a car door and you won't care about the tooth...

I'll go with what Cruiser said...he is a dentist..

FirstandGoal
12/21/2010, 03:57 PM

Yup, yup, yup. Had major surgery last Wednesday and it is still my friend. :)

AlbqSooner
12/21/2010, 08:57 PM
Yup, yup, yup. Had major surgery last Wednesday and it is still my friend. :)

Oddly, your posts are making more sense as well.;)

soonercruiser
12/22/2010, 09:38 PM

Get a second job during the holidays to pay for the $1,000 crown that needs to cover that tooth before it cracks. (taking out the nerve, and connective tissue makes the tooth get brittle over time > cracks)
Glad its better.
Take the Motrin 3-5 days to tone down the reaction at the tip of the roots from the root canal therapy.