PDA

View Full Version : Question on illegal substitution

CU Sooner
12/20/2010, 10:34 AM
Sorry if this has been brought up before but I could not find it. I think of myself as being pretty football savy, with that said.

Why do the officials stop the play when the defense does not get their man off the field before the snap. Why isn't it 12 men on the field instead of illegal substitution. On all other defensive penalties the play continues unless the QB may get hurt or there is contact. I think it should be a free play.

How many times have we caught the other team with this and we were going to have a big play or the penalty slowed our momentum down. It seems to me more times than not that other than the 5 yards it hasnt' really helped.

Another question, (just full of them today) Now that Josh is OC will we snap the ball when the d jumps and throw it deep on a free play? Josh did this so many times and I don't remember the last time our center snapped the ball when the d jumped on a hard count.

That is all.

soonerborn45
12/20/2010, 11:14 AM
On your first question it is because the illegal substitution is a procedure penalty and on any procedure penalty, the play is stopped. Just like a false start or illegal shift on offense. If the opposing team had 12 guys lined up on the field when the play is snapped then it is a free play but not when they are trying to get a guy off the field.

Second question, the snapping when the defense jumps is all on the quarterback, not the OC.

rekamrettuB
12/20/2010, 11:36 AM
Second question, the snapping when the defense jumps is all on the quarterback, not the OC.

Center has to snap the ball too. The center is where it all starts. By the time the QB signals the center to snap it and he does snap it the DL would have more than enough time to get back. Confidence and experience in the center is key to this situation. It's not all on the QB. Could Heupel teach this in practice...sure.

madillsoonerfan5353
12/20/2010, 11:46 AM
Sorry if this has been brought up before but I could not find it. I think of myself as being pretty football savy, with that said.

Why do the officials stop the play when the defense does not get their man off the field before the snap. Why isn't it 12 men on the field instead of illegal substitution. On all other defensive penalties the play continues unless the QB may get hurt or there is contact. I think it should be a free play.

How many times have we caught the other team with this and we were going to have a big play or the penalty slowed our momentum down. It seems to me more times than not that other than the 5 yards it hasnt' really helped.

Another question, (just full of them today) Now that Josh is OC will we snap the ball when the d jumps and throw it deep on a free play? Josh did this so many times and I don't remember the last time our center snapped the ball when the d jumped on a hard count.

That is all.

The only time the refs should stop the play to get guys off the field for the defense, is when we sub in or out. By rule if the offense subs the d has to have time to sub also.

:gary:

soonerborn45
12/20/2010, 12:07 PM
Center has to snap the ball too. The center is where it all starts. By the time the QB signals the center to snap it and he does snap it the DL would have more than enough time to get back. Confidence and experience in the center is key to this situation. It's not all on the QB. Could Heupel teach this in practice...sure.

The center cannot see the defense jumping when the center has his head between his legs looking for the signal. It's on the quarterback to signal for the snap.

rekamrettuB
12/20/2010, 12:47 PM
The center cannot see the defense jumping when the center has his head between his legs looking for the signal. It's on the quarterback to signal for the snap.

Then it can't work and you won't see it as often. The center will not snap the ball w/ his head between his legs looking at the QB. The center looks up to find where his assignment is and snaps the ball. The DL will have time to get back onside.

I would venture to guess that most of those plays Josh did was from under center or during the normal snap count and he saw the defense offsides.

SoonerMarkVA
12/20/2010, 12:50 PM

Matt O'Neal was the master of this.