PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...SC secedes from the US

Okla-homey
12/20/2010, 08:10 AM
Dec 20, 1860: South Carolina secedes from the Union

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/scteal.jpg

150 years ago today, South Carolina officially left the United States when a convention meeting in Columbia ratified an article of secession. South Carolina, was the the first state to secede. It did so because the population of SC was about 60% enslaved black, and SC had a higher percentage of slave owning families than other slave state. South Carolinians believed they had the most too lose if anti-slavery politicians came to power in the United States.

The political faction most aligned with the anti-slavery platform was the infant Republican party. When the Republican Abraham Lincoln was elected to the presidency in November of 1860, that tore it for South Carolinians once and for all.

Within a few weeks of this day in 1860, and before Lincoln's inauguration, six other slave states seceded and collectively formed the Confederate States of America in Montgomery, Alabama. When hostilities erupted in South Carolina in April of 1861, four more states joined the Confederacy.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/scimages.jpg

The seceding states left the Union with great celebration and tough talk. They found out, the hard way, they were wrong. By April of 1865, the so-called Confederate states were economically broken and smoking ruins.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/scmap1861.jpg

Please note, some folks, who for various reasons feel compelled to engage in revisionist history, will tell you secession was not mostly about a last-ditch attempt to preserve human chattel slavery. Those people are ignorant boors and you should ignore them and write them off as racist ignoramuses.

virginiasooner
12/20/2010, 10:34 AM
"South Carolina -- too small for a nation, too big for an insane asylum" went the saying from former SC congressman James Petigreu.

And yes, secession was ALL ABOUT SLAVERY. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

olevetonahill
12/20/2010, 10:42 AM
Dayum Yankees :mad:

mgsooner
12/20/2010, 10:44 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_K5ls3SJu5Qo/Slf56IbsqfI/AAAAAAAABHE/xES8tZImSKU/s400/texas_most_likely_to_secede_rick_perry_t_shirt-p235128424587434642trlf_400.jpg

Aldebaran
12/20/2010, 11:01 AM
Please note, some folks, who for various reasons feel compelled to engage in revisionist history, will tell you secession was not mostly about a last-ditch attempt to preserve human chattel slavery. Those people are ignorant boors and you should ignore them and write them off as racist ignoramuses.

Hilarious. It's only revisionist if you had a Daughters of the Confederacy historical indoctrination. Oddly, no one in the South was worried too much about a primacy of state's rights when states in the North were being compelled to enforce the Federal Fugitive Slave Act.

This has to be one of the few instances in history when the losers have been able to dominate the telling of how/why it went down. Mostly because it's not like the North felt great about eliminating slavery, and it obviously wasn't the goal at the outset in the quest to preserve the Union. But that doesn't change the fact that the only reason the states in the South felt so strongly about leaving was to preserve a culture built entirely around the institution of slavery.

stoopified
12/20/2010, 04:33 PM
I thought this was about the Trojans

SouthCarolinaSooner
12/20/2010, 06:18 PM
Should have seceded in 1832...then it could have been all about states rights, not slavery.

Scott D
12/20/2010, 06:29 PM
clearly sicem is ignoring this because it hasn't become a pissing contest between he and homey.

Okla-homey
12/20/2010, 07:00 PM
Should have seceded in 1832...then it could have been all about states rights, not slavery.

Most likely didn't happen in the 1830's because President Jackson put the SC "Nullification" bunch on notice that if they tried to secede, he would personally lead a US force into SC and "hang the ring leaders." More importantly, they knew he'd do it. Jackson was crazeeee.

Okla-homey
12/20/2010, 07:03 PM
clearly sicem is ignoring this because it hasn't become a pissing contest between he and homey.

He can't win this. Only the lunatic fringe and SCV types (that may be redundant BTW) persist in asserting the "Silver Woah" was not caused by the slaveocrats' desire to preserve slavery. Maybe, just maybe, he's come to understand that fact.

XingTheRubicon
12/21/2010, 11:17 AM
The civil war was fought over power and arrogance of the North over the South. That power and arrogance included issues with slavery.

However, if the North said nothing of slavery, but passed a new federal law taxing agricultural profits at 80% while industrial profits were to be taxed at 20%...the South would have responded pretty much exactly the same way.

Greed, power and arrogance/pride are why wars are fought. This war was no exception.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/21/2010, 12:41 PM
I wonder today, if one or a group of states decided to leave the union, if the remaining states would choose to go to war to preserve the union.

virginiasooner
12/21/2010, 12:47 PM
I wonder today, if one or a group of states decided to leave the union, if the remaining states would choose to go to war to preserve the union.

As long as the state leaving is Texas, I'd be more than happy to pay for their cabfare to go wherever they wanted, as long as it was off the federal teat.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/21/2010, 02:18 PM
As long as the state leaving is Texas, I'd be more than happy to pay for their cabfare to go wherever they wanted, as long as it was off the federal teat.

So many questions... would they go with East Chihuahua, or North Coahuila?

Capital moves west to Ciudad Juarez, south to Nuevo Laredo, or do they just split the difference, move it to San Antonio and rename it Santa Ana?

Regardless, I think we can make this work...