9. Rap (U.S.)
10. Big Chill
11. Crooning (e.g., Sinatra)
12. Grunge
13. Pop country
14. Opera

silverwheels
12/20/2010, 01:19 AM
Genres are often insufficient or even inaccurate descriptors. I like what I like and don't like what I don't like.

Leroy Lizard
12/20/2010, 01:46 AM
Genres are often insufficient or even inaccurate descriptors. I like what I like and don't like what I don't like.

That's pretty much true of everything. Can I really say that I love Led Zeppelin? Well, I don't like "Black Dog," so I guess not.

texaspokieokie
12/20/2010, 09:46 AM
looks to me like "most loved" & "most hated" are all mixed together.

just random picks or opinions of LL.

OhU1
12/20/2010, 09:57 AM
Pretty much agree with LL's most loved except #4 reggae is monotounous to me and would fall into my most hated category as would ska. And though I hate "country music" I too like bluegrass and old time Hank Williams Sr.

I don't know how anyone could hate classical. Is it possible to hate the music of Mozart and Beethoven?

XingTheRubicon
12/20/2010, 10:01 AM
This explains a lot.

Older than dirt, staunch conservative that favors hardcore punk and metal.

KuppiKunta
12/20/2010, 11:30 AM
Most loved

1. Heavy metal/eurometal/black metal
2. Punk/hardcore
3. Trance
4. Reggae/Dub
5. Electronic/ambient/chill/lounge
6. Darkwave/gothic
7. Bluegrass
8. Ska
9. Alternative/new wave
10. Industrial/avante garde
11. Old-time country (e.g., Buck Owens)

Most hated

1. Mariachi
2. Latin
3. Classical
4. Jazz
5. Blues
6. Disco
7. Swing
8. Dance pop
9. Rap (U.S.)
10. Big Chill
12. Grunge
13. Pop country
14. Opera

There would be no metal without the blues!!

3rdgensooner
12/20/2010, 11:34 AM
Genres are often insufficient or even inaccurate descriptors. I like what I like and don't like what I don't like.That's heavy man, real heavy.

Soonerwake
12/20/2010, 11:43 AM
What does it mean when I have never heard of half of these? I don't know if I hate it or love it...

I guess I'm just too damned old... :mad:

The
12/20/2010, 11:44 AM

http://i.imgur.com/BXHPW.jpg

oklaclarinet
12/20/2010, 11:44 AM
Most loved

2. Punk/hardcore
3. Trance
4. Reggae/Dub
5. Electronic/ambient/chill/lounge
6. Darkwave/gothic
7. Bluegrass
8. Ska
9. Alternative/new wave
10. Industrial/avante garde
11. Old-time country (e.g., Buck Owens)

Most hated

1. Mariachi
2. Latin
3. Classical
4. Jazz
5. Blues
6. Disco
7. Swing
8. Dance pop
9. Rap (U.S.)
10. Big Chill
12. Grunge
13. Pop country
14. Opera

It's funny how the likes list includes many smaller sub-genres or styles while the hates list is topped by several very broad genres, particularly classical and jazz, which contain numerous sub-genres and styles that are as specific and detailed as some of the descriptions in the likes. If you are going to differentiate between heavy metal and punk instead of calling it all rock, you have to also differentiate between Dixieland and big band and bebop and progressive jazz and fusion and so on. Though opera is separated from other so-called "classical" music, so does that mean it is hated twice or not as much as non-opera "classical" music (which would include everything from Leonin and Perotin to Philip Glass)?

oklaclarinet
12/20/2010, 11:48 AM
Though on second thought, classical could just mean the true classical period including the music of Mozart, Haydn, and the early works of Beethoven and the like, so the Baroque periods and earlier and the Romantic periods and later might not even be on this list.

TUSooner
12/20/2010, 02:06 PM
n.m.

TUSooner
12/20/2010, 02:08 PM
It's funny how the likes list includes many smaller sub-genres or styles while the hates list is topped by several very broad genres, particularly classical and jazz, which contain numerous sub-genres and styles that are as specific and detailed as some of the descriptions in the likes. If you are going to differentiate between heavy metal and punk instead of calling it all rock, you have to also differentiate between Dixieland and big band and bebop and progressive jazz and fusion and so on. Though opera is separated from other so-called "classical" music, so does that mean it is hated twice or not as much as non-opera "classical" music (which would include everything from Leonin and Perotin to Philip Glass)?

Thank you.

okie52
12/20/2010, 02:50 PM
Hard to believe that Disco wouldn't always top the most hated list.

The
12/20/2010, 02:52 PM

What? I ****ing LOVE Disco.

NormanPride
12/20/2010, 02:58 PM
Awesome Tier: My tastes

**** Tier: Your tastes

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m617/_PYRO_/DealWithItGIF.gif

okie52
12/20/2010, 03:04 PM
What? I ****ing LOVE Disco.

Surely you jest.

The
12/20/2010, 03:06 PM
Surely you jest.
http://moviemystery.webs.com/MM-Tony-DiscoPose-Enters.jpg

Disco is NOT dead. Disco is LIFE!

Leroy Lizard
12/20/2010, 05:52 PM

This is true. (Although a lot of eurometal is classical/opera based.) But there wouldn't be any pop country without old-time country. But I hate pop country and love old-time country.

Leroy Lizard
12/20/2010, 05:56 PM
If you are going to differentiate between heavy metal and punk instead of calling it all rock, you have to also differentiate between Dixieland and big band and bebop and progressive jazz and fusion and so on.

There's a couple of reasons for this:

1. I pretty much hate all the subgenres of classical music, but I don't love all the subgenres of rock. For example, hair band metal can bite me.

2. I listen more intensely to music I love, so I tend to know more about the subgenres than the music I hate. (The exception is jazz, where I am quite familiar with subgenres and pretty hate 'em all -- except cool jazz, but I'm not even a fan of it.)

Leroy Lizard
12/20/2010, 05:57 PM
Though on second thought, classical could just mean the true classical period including the music of Mozart, Haydn, and the early works of Beethoven and the like, so the Baroque periods and earlier and the Romantic periods and later might not even be on this list.

Hate 'em all, so they're on the list.

"Hate" is a little strong. I don't cringe at classical music like I do mariachi, but I have no interest in it. It has the same impact on me as elevator music, that is, music to ignore.

Leroy Lizard
12/20/2010, 05:59 PM

Today disco is a non-factor. I just don't hear it, so it don't bug me, man.

Besides, I like some of the funkier stuff.

Xunil
12/20/2010, 10:31 PM
“Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don’t live it, it won’t come out of your horn. They teach you there’s a boundary line to music. But, man, there’s no boundary line to art.”

thesnowbishop
12/20/2010, 10:40 PM
Most loved

Come on Leroy...Don't give us a true and rightful reason to hate. This is like an underhanded softball.

Leroy Lizard
12/20/2010, 10:43 PM
Come on Leroy...Don't give us a true and rightful reason to hate. This is like an underhanded softball.

Eurometal is badass.

HFOddQf0HjA

GottaHavePride
12/20/2010, 10:48 PM

You'll have to split up the opera genre, too. baroque opera? classical? bel canto? grand opera? French grand opera? verismo? operetta? modern / minimalist opera? Zarzuela? Gesamtkunstwerk? Singspiel?

GottaHavePride
12/20/2010, 10:50 PM
And also: darkwave? Now you're just making **** up.

Leroy Lizard
12/21/2010, 12:41 AM
You'll have to split up the opera genre, too. baroque opera? classical? bel canto? grand opera? French grand opera? verismo? operetta? modern / minimalist opera? Zarzuela? Gesamtkunstwerk? Singspiel?

If the dude is singing like someone is squeezing his gonads, it's opera.

Leroy Lizard
12/21/2010, 12:43 AM
And also: darkwave? Now you're just making **** up.

uy7JSYdO2wY

Currently my favorite song.