PDA

View Full Version : Geno Auriemma has his panties in a wad

mgsooner
12/19/2010, 11:50 PM
Geno Auriemma critical of attention

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- After win No. 88 in a row was in the books, Geno Auriemma finally let loose: He thinks some people are rooting against his record-setting players because of their gender.

"I just know there wouldn't be this many people in the room if we were chasing a woman's record," the Connecticut coach said Sunday near the end of his postgame news conference. "The reason everybody is having a heart attack the last four or five days is a bunch of women are threatening to break a men's record, and everybody is all up in arms about it."

Already with no equal in women's basketball, UConn won its 88th straight game Sunday to match the men's streak set by coach John Wooden and his UCLA teams from 1971-74. The top-ranked Huskies routed Ohio State (No. 10 ESPN/USA Today, No. 11 AP) 81-50 in the Maggie Dixon Classic at Madison Square Garden.

"All the women are happy as hell and they can't wait to come in here and ask questions. All the guys that loved women's basketball are all excited, and all the miserable bastards that follow men's basketball and don't want us to break the record are all here because they're pissed," Auriemma said. "That's just the way it is."

The no-nonsense Auriemma had downplayed the significance of the streak as his team closed in on UCLA, promising that once the run was over he would finally open up.

But the Hall of Fame coach, known to rub folks the wrong way at times, has never been afraid to say what's on his mind.

"Because we're breaking a men's record, we've got a lot of people paying attention," Auriemma said. "If we were breaking a women's record, everybody would go, 'Aren't those girls nice, let's give them two paragraphs in USA Today, you know, give them one line on the bottom of ESPN and then let's send them back where they belong, in the kitchen.' "

Leroy Lizard
12/20/2010, 12:22 AM
It's like a Leroy Lizard coaching basketball.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/20/2010, 12:26 AM
I'm thinking like the Barry Switzer of women's basketball

yermom
12/20/2010, 12:26 AM
saying that he is beating a men's record is retarded. they aren't the same sport. why should they have the same records?

all this does is show how much less parity there is in the women's game

mgsooner
12/20/2010, 12:28 AM
saying that he is beating a men's record is retarded. they aren't the same sport. why should they have the same records?

YOU OBVIOUSLY THINK WOMEN SHOULD JUST GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN, YOU SEXIST

Sincerely,

Geno Auriemma

yermom
12/20/2010, 12:30 AM
:D

AlboSooner
12/20/2010, 12:53 AM
I guess gino feels he is the defender of women basketball, which is sexist since it assumes women basketball needs to be defended.

I think he is bored, so he has to talk about other stuff. i hope gino realizes feminists don't like the fact that best coach in the history of women basketball is a man. lol

badger
12/20/2010, 12:54 AM
Geno amuses me. Why? Because female coaches whine less about equity in womens sports than he does, and by the sheer fact that him coaching the UConn women - a top Div. 1 program - is an example of gender inequity itself, that male coaches are acceptable in women's sports, but female coaches in men's sports are not.

I try not to hate on him too much, because he and Sherri Coale are friends and I think he highly recommended her for the OU job, but... seriously, man.

I'll continue Geno's sentence: "Let's send them back where they belong, in the kitchen, because they don't belong in the head coaching job at UConn."

12/20/2010, 01:08 AM
I hope gino realizes feminists don't like the fact that best coach in the history of women basketball is a man. lolFunny, ain't it?:D

SoonerStormchaser
12/20/2010, 01:25 AM
I don't care...but I'm sick of UConn just like I'm sick of Duke, the Yankees, Notre Lame, etc. So naturally, I cheer for them to lose every stinking game.
I'm a sexist mother****er!

sooner59
12/20/2010, 01:27 AM
No records being broken. They already broke the women's record. They haven't beat 88 straight men's teams. Let's just celebrate the greatness of the women's record they continue to set. Congrats.

12/20/2010, 03:21 AM
No records being broken. They already broke the women's record. They haven't beat 88 straight men's teams. Let's just celebrate the greatness of the women's record they continue to set. Congrats.That smacks of splitting pubic hairs!

Sooner_Bob
12/20/2010, 08:57 AM

Exactly.

His team already has the womens record . . . . :confused:

XingTheRubicon
12/20/2010, 09:33 AM
Watching those highlights just now, reminds me of watching my dog trying to climb the attic ladder.

Aldebaran
12/20/2010, 09:34 AM
The first step in maintaining a dominant narrative is to dismiss anyone who voices an alternative perspective.

yermom
12/20/2010, 09:40 AM
No records being broken. They already broke the women's record. They haven't beat 88 straight men's teams. Let's just celebrate the greatness of the women's record they continue to set. Congrats.

technically they are tying/breaking the Division I college basketball record. i just don't think it carries that much weight

no one talks much about overall college football records from Division III teams for the same reason. sure it's the most X in college football, but no one cares because the level of competition is lower

rekamrettuB
12/20/2010, 09:56 AM

This was my thought as well. I thought exactly the same when the short haired gal that likes to fellate Bruce Pearl broke the all time wins record passing, I think, Bobby Knight.

12/20/2010, 01:33 PM
The first step in maintaining a dominant narrative is to dismiss anyone who voices an alternative perspective.That Sarah Palin REALLY IS stupid, ain't she?(bit*h will be going blonde any day now)

Aldebaran
12/20/2010, 01:36 PM
I don't think we've ever had a stupid ambassador to Russia. Foreign relations are way too important for that, yo.

The
12/20/2010, 01:42 PM
and then let's send them back where they belong, in the kitchen.' "

Quoted for truth.

mgsooner
12/20/2010, 02:04 PM
Let's send Geno back where he belongs, in the kitchen. More specifically, behind the sandwich counter. Now go make me a sub you mook.

badger
12/20/2010, 02:22 PM
Hate on Geno, but they need to keep the streak going till later this season so OU can end it. We nearly ended it last season when we hosted them (if you saw a lot of pink around campus, it was that game) and we have the talent to do it this year.

It would be even better if it was like Patriots - undefeated when the games don't matter, defeated in the postseason.

3rdgensooner
12/20/2010, 02:23 PM
I would rather not see "Geno Auriemma" and "panties" in the same sentence.

The
12/20/2010, 02:24 PM
I would rather not see "Geno Auriemma" and "panties" in the same sentence.

Tough titty.

3rdgensooner
12/20/2010, 02:26 PM
Tough titty.
So he has tough titties AND wears panties? He's a Crying Game coach.

The
12/20/2010, 02:31 PM
So he has tough titties AND wears panties? He's a Crying Game coach.

I didn't give you permission to pluralize my postings.

3rdgensooner
12/20/2010, 02:39 PM
I didn't give you permission to pluralize my postings. whoopty freaking doo

mgsooner
12/20/2010, 02:41 PM
Prior to hiring Jeff Capel our fearless A.D. made a serious run at hiring Geno.

The
12/20/2010, 02:41 PM
whoopty freaking doo

I hope you get your face eaten by a werewolf.

KABOOKIE
12/20/2010, 03:51 PM
Is the kitchen hiring? Some people with Master's degrees are wondering.

12/20/2010, 04:06 PM
Is the kitchen hiring? Some people with Master's degrees are wondering.Not to worry. Our leaders and their media tell us the economy has been on the upswing for some time, now.

Aldebaran
12/20/2010, 04:31 PM
Mission accomplished.

GKeeper316
12/20/2010, 04:36 PM
its all well and good the the uconn women's basketball team is setting a record for consecutive wins, but lets put it in perspective.

the women's game has nowhere near the talent level or pool as the men's game.

its impressive what uconn has done, but its a far more difficult task to do something like this in the men's game.

Aldebaran
12/20/2010, 04:41 PM
News flash. Women are different than Men. Stay tuned. This is a developing story.

3rdgensooner
12/20/2010, 04:43 PM
News flash. Women are different than Men. Stay tuned. This is a developing story.The hell you say!

badger
12/20/2010, 04:48 PM
the women's game has nowhere near the talent level or pool as the men's game.

its impressive what uconn has done, but its a far more difficult task to do something like this in the men's game.

The mens game today, or the mens game back when this record was set?

I'm not trying to start any argument here, but there was not exactly huge amounts of competition for UCLA back then, much like UConn seems to be a tier above other teams today.

The
12/20/2010, 04:49 PM
I think it's cute that women think they can play sports.

Like the Lingerie Football League. That's the kind of Women's Sports I can stand behind.

ouleaf
12/20/2010, 04:50 PM
Matching the UCLA record clearly is not the same thing. Women's basketball, while it is technically the same sport, it is a completely different game and the distribution of talent in womens basketball is no where close to the mens game either.

badger
12/20/2010, 05:02 PM
Prior to hiring Jeff Capel our fearless A.D. made a serious run at hiring Geno.

Are you serious??? I mean, I've heard that Geno turned down mens program offers before, but I didn't know that one of them was ours.

If you're joking, the joke's on me for taking it seriously. :D

Aldebaran
12/20/2010, 05:06 PM
James Hale reported it, so we know it was a 100% true story.

AlboSooner
12/20/2010, 05:30 PM
FOLKS

badger
12/20/2010, 05:46 PM
James Hale reported it, so we know it was a 100% true story.

We can also assume that OUI was mostly filled with worthless posts :D

Aldebaran
12/20/2010, 05:55 PM
Those who posted there lived under the yolk of overmoderated tyranny, so yeah, it was largely worthless.

mgsooner
12/20/2010, 05:55 PM
Remember when Hale did the PBP for OU baseball? That was really something.

Scott D
12/20/2010, 06:27 PM
Dear god the press this is getting is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous was an insinuation by Maya Moore that this women's team during this run was anywhere near as good as that UCLA program.

They'd be better off promoting this under the capsule of separate but not even comparatively equal.

Sooner_Bob
12/20/2010, 10:09 PM
Dear god the press this is getting is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous was an insinuation by Maya Moore that this women's team during this run was anywhere near as good as that UCLA program.

They'd be better off promoting this under the capsule of separate but not even comparatively equal.

But a streak is a streak . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtzoUu7w-YM

StoopTroup
12/20/2010, 11:13 PM
He must have them all cycling at the same time.

texaspokieokie
12/21/2010, 03:39 PM

that's really delusional. if only they could play the 1st one of ucla's champ teams. (before the ucla streak) 1965 team had keith ericson as tallest guy @ 6'-5". walt hazard & gail goodrich were also on that team.

they could play 100 games against uconn women & (outside of boredom)
never have a close one.

uconn women would have a better chance against uconn men than ucla.

reminds me of when billie jean king beat bobby riggs. such a BIG DEAL, he
was 59 yrs old.

Note: 1965 ucla team used for example, because they were closest to normal people.

stoopified
12/21/2010, 03:46 PM
He must have them all cycling at the same time. Would that be a unicycle? :D

Jammin'
12/21/2010, 03:47 PM
Geno is no Russ Rose.

Scott D
12/21/2010, 04:28 PM
But a streak is a streak . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtzoUu7w-YM

Ironically, UConn isn't even anywhere near the all time winning streak for women's college basketball. So, to me that lessens the impact that they are allegedly threatening the Division 1 all time winning streak record. Clearly Geno is trying to not only have his cake and eat it but **** it out for everyone else to eat.

badger
12/21/2010, 05:15 PM
ESPN is bored with meaningless bowl season and trying to create news - shush! Don't tell people that UConn isn't close to the actual streak, which is 131 games!

link (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/sports/ncaabasketball/19wayland.html?_r=1)

Wayland Baptist pwns you, Geno! :P

AlboSooner
12/21/2010, 07:13 PM
Is the UCONN record valid for the WNBA too, or the NBA?

Scott D
12/21/2010, 07:15 PM
ESPN is bored with meaningless bowl season and trying to create news - shush! Don't tell people that UConn isn't close to the actual streak, which is 131 games!

link (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/sports/ncaabasketball/19wayland.html?_r=1)

Wayland Baptist pwns you, Geno! :P

God I wish people went to the UConn game tonight with signs saying "Only 44 more to go Geno!"

12/21/2010, 07:17 PM
Is the UCONN record valid for the WNBA too, or the NBA?Sure. also covers high school, grade school, to all countries, and international play as well.

AlboSooner
12/21/2010, 07:18 PM
Sure. also covers high school, grade school, to all countries, and international play as well.

what about x-box, playstation, and the dreams of all the people?

texaspokieokie
12/21/2010, 08:56 PM
My wife's oldest sister(deceased) lived in plainview & we went to visit her & her family. planview was very dry, had some private clubs. when we ran out of the beer we brot from dallas, we had to drive 35 miles to replenish.

plainview is a most aptly named town.

we didn't see any basketball games.

texaspokieokie
12/21/2010, 08:57 PM
i don't think the uconn women could beat any of the teams that ucla beat during their streak.

OUthunder
12/21/2010, 11:07 PM
I for one do not give a damn. Wimmens basketball is the succ. Nothing against wimmens, I just think that all wimmen sports are like watching paint dry.

Call me sexist.

Blue
12/21/2010, 11:41 PM
I for one do not give a damn. Wimmens basketball is the succ. Nothing against wimmens, I just think that all wimmen sports are like watching paint dry.

Call me sexist.

Yup. Add women announcers and sports journalists in there too. Nothing against women, but this story is stupid.

1. No record was broken.

2. Only a division 1 womens record.

3. Christine Brennan can DIAF. And Pam Ward.

Blue
12/21/2010, 11:45 PM
Oh...and Geno is a giant ******. And so is ESPN for being so PC and kissing ***.

TOTP Bitches.

Sooner_Bob
12/22/2010, 09:04 AM
If the original record was set by a women's team and getting ready to be "broken" by a men's team would ESPN care?

jkjsooner
12/22/2010, 09:45 AM
technically they are tying/breaking the Division I college basketball record. i just don't think it carries that much weight

no one talks much about overall college football records from Division III teams for the same reason. sure it's the most X in college football, but no one cares because the level of competition is lower

Wasn't the college football hall of fame talking about replacing the section on OU's 47 game win streak with Mount Union's win streak? That's about as absurd.