PDA

View Full Version : Special Request from Young Warrior

tru2ou
12/19/2010, 08:44 AM
I have a friend who's son will be returning from Afghanistan after a 9 month tour. He hopes to be returning around Christmas day or a little after. He is a huge OU fan but he hasnt been able to see any of the OU football games this year. I've been able to secure all of the games except the final 4. If anyone has a dvd of the last four games, that they would be willing to share with me so I can let him see the games, both of us would really appreciate it. I'd be more than willing to pay for your costs and shipping. He's a good kid and served our country with honor, this is the least I can do for him.

Here are the games I need:

vs. Texas Tech
@ Baylor
@ OSU
@ Big 12 Title Game

Please send me an email or PM if you can help.

Thanks.

- tru2ou ([email protected])

fossil
12/19/2010, 08:57 AM
:) It is a good thing you do. Merry Christmas.

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 11:45 AM
I have em on DVR , Ill check with my son see if he has em and let ya know ;)

Sooner_Tuf
12/19/2010, 01:33 PM
I don't have any of them but you can watch some if not all of them on ESPN360.com. It's not as good as having a DVD but it is better than nothing.

tru2ou
12/19/2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the 360 idea but I'd prefer to give him all the games on dvd so he can watch them away from a computer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

- tru

MyT Oklahoma
12/19/2010, 02:26 PM
Please thank your son on behalf of all of us for his service to our country.

tru2ou
12/19/2010, 06:12 PM
He's not my son but he is a great kid. Its amazing how much he's aged in 9 months and from the pictures I've seen, he looks really tired. I can't imagine what he has seen and heard. He needs these games to get his mind off of things. I will pass along your thanks.

- tru

85sooners
12/19/2010, 06:17 PM
Salute

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 06:23 PM
He's not my son but he is a great kid. Its amazing how much he's aged in 9 months and from the pictures I've seen, he looks really tired. I can't imagine what he has seen and heard. He needs these games to get his mind off of things. I will pass along your thanks.

- tru

we got ya covered bro

tru2ou
12/19/2010, 07:22 PM
I sent you a PM with all of my information. I'll call the guy that got me the Utah State game and get you a copy. Thanks so much, this will mean the world to him and his family.

- Tru

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 07:30 PM
Like i said , when I told my son it was for a returning Afgan vet he dint hesitate

He missed a whole season when he went into Iraq in the initial invasion .

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 07:36 PM
I emailed the Addy to my son , he is off working right now, may have his wife get em to you or wait till he comes in wed.
He dont want any money for em , Just a copy of the Utah state game if ya can get it

Enjoy

tru2ou
12/19/2010, 09:26 PM
Ok, thanks and please thank him too. If there is anything I can ever do for either of you (beyond the Utah State game), please dont hesitate to ask.

- Tru

SCOUT
12/19/2010, 11:56 PM
This is my favorite thread.

oudavid1
12/20/2010, 02:59 AM
Please thank your son on behalf of all of us for his service to our country.

THIS. Praise God he is home. Welcome home and Boomer Sooner!

tru2ou
12/27/2010, 09:34 PM
olevetonahill,

I sent you a private message. I wanted to check in and see how your son was doing on the DVD's. My friends son will be back next week so I was trying to get everything wrapped up some time this week. Thanks agian for your help and let me know if there is anything you need from me.

- tru

OK2U
12/28/2010, 01:46 AM
This is my favorite thread.
Amen & God Bless!

badger
12/28/2010, 09:01 AM
If that falls through, I've got an extra copy of the last two from when I was burning them for my dad. They've got a watermark in the middle from a crappy file conversion program, but they're DVD player ready and are still made of awesome OU football!

tru2ou
12/28/2010, 09:45 AM
Badger,

I'll let you know if the next 24-48 hours. If you're ok with sending the last two games, that would be great. I dont care how they look as long as they play in a DVD player. Thanks, I appreciate it.

- Tru

olevetonahill
12/28/2010, 11:32 AM
Mark , Just talked to my son . They should be in the mail to you no later than tomorrow.
Enjoy

olevetonahill
1/1/2011, 02:48 AM
Proud of My son
he got it done ;)

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 05:08 AM
Hoping the young man enjoyed the games
Havnt heard back from Tru,
does anyone have a copy of the Utah st. Game ?
Thanks

SOFSooner
1/22/2011, 06:09 AM
As an army officer deployed (again) overseas, it makes me proud at how the people on this board supports our soldiers deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan. It makes me proud to be a (1) Sooner (2) citizen of a country who cares so much for their soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines.

ouwino
1/22/2011, 06:27 AM
my son is currently on leave from afghanistan. to emphasize what SOFSooner said... we live in a very small town in Northern OKLA. it has been amazing to see the response he has gotten from everyone. he said he has never shook so many hands or had so many hugs. :-D also, his overseas flight landed in Dfw and 150 soldiers got off the plane and started making their way to their next individual departure flights. my son said that when they walked into the terminal, the entire terminal erupted into a standing ovation. WOW!. what a great country we live in. makes a father proud.

SoonerBacker
1/22/2011, 07:40 AM
my son is currently on leave from afghanistan. to emphasize what SOFSooner said... we live in a very small town in Northern OKLA. it has been amazing to see the response he has gotten from everyone. he said he has never shook so many hands or had so many hugs. :-D also, his overseas flight landed in Dfw and 150 soldiers got off the plane and started making their way to their next individual departure flights. my son said that when they walked into the terminal, the entire terminal erupted into a standing ovation. WOW!. what a great country we live in. makes a father proud.

I'm so glad to know this is still happening! I remember when the war first started, this sort of thing was commonplace. You don't hear much about it anymore, though. God bless them all!

AlbqSooner
1/22/2011, 08:50 AM
As a veteran of the Viet Nam era (though I was never 'in country') I commend everyone who supports our troops. Even if you disagree with the politics of the current wars, the troops deserve our unending respect.

olevetonahill
1/22/2011, 04:17 PM
As a veteran of the Viet Nam era (though I was never 'in country') I commend everyone who supports our troops. Even if you disagree with the politics of the current wars, the troops deserve our unending respect.

Agreed Albq, Most who know me know im still pretty bitter about how we were treated when we came home.

I am dayum proud of the fact that our service peeps are treated so much better now. It started after the 1st gulf war and has continued ever since.

ouwino
1/22/2011, 05:25 PM
I'm so glad to know this is still happening! I remember when the war first started, this sort of thing was commonplace. You don't hear much about it anymore, though. God bless them all!

perhaps the reason we dont hear of this sort of action any more is because the media has grown tired of the war. the media is more concerned with who lindey lohan, and tiger woods are doing.