PDA

View Full Version : ESPN incorrectly billing the Fiesta Bowl

Always_Sooner
12/18/2010, 10:15 PM
This is just a non biased opinion, but I tend to find West Virgina and Boise State better opponents, and both of those seasons had a chance to beat OU. Also, I find it humerus how ESPN says Boise and West Virgina were both heavy underdogs when OU was only +3 and +6 in both of those bowl match ups leading in. Sure, I think OU finishes the season out on a positive note, but let's face it that Uconn football is not to the billing of Boise's so called magical season which we will always hear about even 20 years from now. All I can hope for is OU avoids turning into an injured MASH unit which happened against West Virginia. I guess ESPN has to do what they can do, and try to hype the game up, but lets face it the media is always objective towards OU, and subjective towards the likes of Boise, TCU, Utah, and Norte Dame.

bluedogok
12/18/2010, 10:17 PM
They have to sell ad time, you know they are going to "pimp this game" into something to sell ad time.

Eielson
12/18/2010, 10:17 PM
WVU probably would've been national champions if White hadn't gotten hurt against Pitt.

badger
12/18/2010, 10:18 PM
Since OU isn't selling tickets ESPN will have tons of viewership in the state of Oklahoma.

Always_Sooner
12/18/2010, 10:21 PM
Yes, we forget that point you just made. I was at the Big 12 Championship game in 2007 and couldn't believe that Pittsburgh beat West Virgina, and then OU had a shot to play, but the Coaches poll screwed OU when they beat Mizzou the #1 team by 21 points.

yermom
12/18/2010, 10:49 PM
was tOSU's schedule really any better than Kansas'?

i don't think the voters were near objective enough. LSU jumped 3 teams in the coaches poll, Georgia, VT, and Kansas. this is even with VT also winning a Championship game. it just reeked of collusion to me

the Big 12 had more teams at the top, why was Ohio State and LSU special?

Soonerman82
12/19/2010, 12:03 AM

i don't think the voters were near objective enough. LSU jumped 3 teams in the coaches poll, Georgia, VT, and Kansas. this is even with VT also winning a Championship game. it just reeked of collusion to me

LSU got in because of ESPIN pimping of the SEC and LSU.

Always_Sooner
12/19/2010, 12:10 AM
Les Smiles politicized their way in, and plus it was a home game for LSU. That is no different than OU getting to play a national title game in Oklahoma City.

Salt City Sooner
12/19/2010, 02:46 AM

Yes, IMO, albeit slightly (FWIW, Sagarin's final poll rated tOSU's slate 53rd, KU's was 74th). KU was beyond fortunate in regards to their schedule that year (esp. the B12 portion of it). Central Michigan was the only team they defeated that year who won even 8 games.The only other team that they had on their schedule who won more than that was 12-2 Mizzou, who beat them in Arrowhead, & FWIW, I still believe that if any north team deserved to go, it was Mizzou. They were for all intents & purposes, penalized for losing a game that KU couldn't even get to, they had a better win (Illinois went to the Rose Bowl that year), beat KU on a neutral field, & their only losses were to OU, both of which were away from Columbia.

Oh, & BTW, tOSU certainly had some dogs on their schedule that year, but they also had 4 nine win teams in Penn St. Wisky Illinois, & Michigan, & a 5th who won 8 in Purdue.

AlboSooner
12/19/2010, 08:41 AM
The Boise game, it was a mild upset for Boise that the game went into overtime. Boise dominated the game but the 4th quarter.

Always_Sooner
12/19/2010, 09:35 AM
I remember when Paul Thompson threw that pick and OU was down 28-10 in the 3rd quarter I thought it was all over, but the crying. Props to OU in that game for at least fighting back.

I Am Right
12/19/2010, 09:42 AM
Makes it worse

soonervegas
12/19/2010, 09:58 AM
OU has been the better team in 2 of those 5 BCS losses. Problem is the two games in which we were the better team we were on the road. The BCS streak is actually a combination of overachieving and bad luck. Stoops is about to run off 3-4 in a row and we will all look back and laugh.

sooner ngintunr
12/19/2010, 10:26 AM

IIRC The bowdens had OU like 20th or something on their poll. complete BS.

Always_Sooner
12/19/2010, 10:42 AM
Yea I remember how the last vote was made public.

sooner ngintunr
12/19/2010, 10:54 AM
Yea I remember how the last vote was made public.

It sucked. Now I think they (the Coaches) decided not to make their final votes public. Gee, I wonder why?

edit; I checked, Bobby Bowden had us 10th and Tommy Bowden had us 7th. Not as bad I as remember but still ludicrous IMO. Bellotti had us 8th. Chris Peterson had us 7th. **** all those guys.:D