PDA

View Full Version : 9 players GRADUATE in Dec...CONGRATS!

Soonerjeepman
12/18/2010, 08:49 PM
Jeremy Beal - Multidisciplinary Studies
Cory Brandon - Multidisciplinary Studies
Emmanuel Jones - Multidisciplinary Studies
Brian Lepak - Finance
Mossis Madu - Human Relations
Eric Mensik - Multidisciplinary Studies
DeMarco Murray - Communication
John Nimmo - Management
Adrian Taylor - Sociology

Three former players are also completing their degrees including Vince Carter, Cory Heinecke and J.D. Runnels. Congratulations Sooner grads.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/01_sooner_football_notebook.html

Okie35
12/18/2010, 09:55 PM
Good stuff

Eielson
12/18/2010, 09:59 PM
Apparently multidisciplinary studies is really easy.

Soonerjeepman
12/18/2010, 10:06 PM

LOL..not sure what career you can pursue with that...seems pretty popular...guess it's the fact that they COMPLETED 130 hours and passed those classes...

SunnySooner
12/18/2010, 10:21 PM
Congrats to Brian Lepak--Finance. That ain't underwater basketweaving.

And, the other guys as well, just wanted to single Brian out, that really is a tough degree. That was Sam's too, I think.

oupride
12/18/2010, 10:25 PM
Great post. Thanks.

Soonerjeepman
12/18/2010, 10:34 PM
I haven't checked to see how many other seniors are listed on the team that are not graduating...but good to see several starters with a degree...

yermom
12/18/2010, 11:01 PM

:O

it actually depends on how it's set up.

i'll take crap from a physics major about the ease of mine, and that's about it.

Soonerfan88
12/18/2010, 11:47 PM
I think one of the draws to Multidisciplinary Studies for football players is that it can sometimes be easier to schedule upper level classes around practice & workouts.

However, it is not just a blow-off degree and can open many different doors depending on your areas of concentration.

OUEngr1990
12/19/2010, 12:14 AM
How come there are no football players majoring in engineering? :D

sooner94
12/19/2010, 12:17 AM

Probably not easy when you have football practice and/or workouts year round.

And I agree with the post above, probably the flexibility of the courses that is the draw.

ThatGuy65
12/19/2010, 12:26 AM

And, the other guys as well, just wanted to single Brian out, that really is a tough degree. That was Sam's too, I think.

He actually double majored in Accounting and Finance and was the outstanding Senior Accounting student at OU last year.

John Kochtoston
12/19/2010, 01:29 AM

I've always thought underwater basketweaving would be pretty challenging.

Quik Sand
12/19/2010, 05:23 AM
Mark Bradley also graduated.

SunnySooner
12/19/2010, 09:40 AM
I've always thought underwater basketweaving would be pretty challenging.

LOL!! Not in a pool with a nice rebreather setup, the lack of gravity keeps your arms/hands from getting tired. ;) :D :P

CrimsonRez
12/19/2010, 10:44 AM
Multidisciplinary Studies AKA-OH ****!!! It's my senior year and I have yet to pick a real major!!!!

o0Dan0o
12/19/2010, 11:12 AM
:O

it actually depends on how it's set up.

i'll take crap from a physics major about the ease of mine, and that's about it.

And I agree with the post above, probably the flexibility of the courses that is the draw.

I did my undergrad at Texas State and knew a kid who came into the program and was a four year starter at D-end. In those four years he got his undergrad double in math and physics and one year of grad school in physics. I believe he came in with some basic courses from HS, so he probably already had like 30 hours, but that's still damned impressive...

The math double is only two extra math classes as well. Looking back I really should have gotten mine, but it really doesn't make a difference.

Congrats to all the players, graduating is a big deal and I wish them the best.
Dan

Soonermagik
12/19/2010, 11:15 AM
How come there are no football players majoring in engineering? :D

I think Tony Jefferson is. I believe in his recruiting statement he said he wanted to major in engineering.

Jacie
12/19/2010, 12:36 PM
Would baskets woven underwater sell better or command higher prices than baskets woven at a factory in Bangladesh or Hanoi? If so, then perhaps there is a demand for underwater basketweavers that most undergraduates have not considered when choosing a major . . .

Piware
12/19/2010, 01:11 PM
Congratulations to them all.

3rdgensooner
12/19/2010, 01:38 PM
Good job guys!

Eielson
12/19/2010, 01:57 PM

Football practices and workouts aren't easy all by themselves. This statement says nothing for the major.

Collier11
12/19/2010, 02:36 PM
Wheres Leroy finding a way to de-value this achievement?

sooner94
12/19/2010, 03:29 PM
Football practices and workouts aren't easy all by themselves. This statement says nothing for the major.

You completely missed the point.

Eielson
12/19/2010, 04:44 PM
You completely missed the point.

I did? Well then please dumb it down so that somebody as highly unintelligent as me could understand.

OUEngr1990
12/19/2010, 05:04 PM
I think Tony Jefferson is. I believe in his recruiting statement he said he wanted to major in engineering.

Back when I graduated 20 years ago in engineering (hence OUEngr1990), it was very time demanding. There wasn't much time to do anything else. If he can pull of getting an engineering degree while being a star football player, then that will be one heck of an accomplishment. I sure hope he does it!

brian
12/19/2010, 08:31 PM
There was a guy in my engineering classes that played football in the early 2000s. I believe he was a walkon who never played and eventually quit to focus on engineering, but I was still pretty impressed he was able to put in the time for practice with the engineering workload.

Sooner Cal
12/21/2010, 01:29 PM
Given that about half the kids who enroll at OU fail or drop out, one shouldn't knock the ones who graduate.

I know college graduates who are bar tending or waiting tables. Most degrees prove one thing, the individual isn't a quitter. That is what most employers want to know because they are going to have to train you anyway.

There are different types of intelligence. Some can't grasp math or science easily but have great people skills, while others are just the opposite. We've always held the math and science folks as intelligent, but we need the others just as much. We need ll types.

As for football players, I've always felt that many come from lower socio-economic areas where education isn't always a high priority. Helping them understand how to think along with a little history would go a long ways towards improving their chances in life. Many have the drive, they just need the tools.