PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Boss 302 Mustang

soonerinkaty
12/18/2010, 01:30 PM
Is ****ing sick. The Laguna Seca edition is hot.

lCRp9PussNU

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 01:31 PM
Ugh! Could do without the red wheels.

sooner59
12/18/2010, 01:34 PM
Ugh! Could do without the red wheels.

Yeah, I would rather just have black wheels. Other than that, its pretty sweet.

soonerinkaty
12/18/2010, 01:35 PM
I don't know man, I kinda like the red wheels.

sooner59
12/18/2010, 01:36 PM
I don't hate them, just would rather have black ones.

That's what she said. :cool:

yermom
12/18/2010, 01:45 PM
i kinda like the red wheels too, that lip spoiler seems a bit much though

where are the stats on the guts? suspension? how is this different that the 5.0 GT? other than the body kit, paint, interior and gauges?

soonerinkaty
12/18/2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.sub5zero.com/auto-news/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-official-specs-details-pictures

Boomer.....
12/18/2010, 07:07 PM
I'm not digging the red either, especially the red roof and side mirrors. Looks ricer.

Turd_Ferguson
12/18/2010, 07:15 PM
One of you gear heads esplain the exhaust on this thing. Looks like regular exhaust out the back along with turn downs in front of the rear wheels.

olevetonahill
12/18/2010, 07:25 PM
One of you gear heads esplain the exhaust on this thing. Looks like regular exhaust out the back along with turn downs in front of the rear wheels.

May have dumps on it .

Turd_Ferguson
12/18/2010, 07:27 PM
May have dumps on it .Is that like an open header or what:confused:

AlboSooner
12/18/2010, 07:35 PM
Very nice.

olevetonahill
12/18/2010, 07:39 PM
Is that like an open header or what:confused:

Kinda like a Y in the exhaust . when there closed it runs the exhaust thru the muffler , Open it just dumps it out . gives a lil more HP

MR2-Sooner86
12/18/2010, 07:52 PM
And this is why I love Mustangs.

texaspokieokie
12/18/2010, 08:31 PM
VERY NICE !!!!!!!!

winout
12/19/2010, 02:54 AM
How's it compare to the new Camaros?

soonerinkaty
12/19/2010, 04:30 AM
Google is your friend, but I'll give you a hint: favorably.

pphilfran
12/19/2010, 07:48 AM

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q3/2012_ford_mustang_boss_302_boss_302_laguna_seca-official_photos_and_info

One of the most interesting features of the 2012 Boss 302 is its quad exhaust system, developed to give the car a unique sound. The two primary pipes exiting the rear handle most of the exhaust gases, while two smaller pipes branch off from the exhaust crossover and exit discreetly along the lower body sides, just in front of the rear wheels, sending gases through a set of metal discs that generate unique sounds. Should the owner live somewhere with more lax noise regulations, the plates can easily be removed in favor of aftermarket dump valves.

pphilfran
12/19/2010, 07:49 AM
SoonerinKaty's link has pics of the exhaust...

RacerX
12/19/2010, 09:09 AM
argh

dwarthog
12/19/2010, 09:35 AM
I'm not digging the red either, especially the red roof and side mirrors. Looks ricer.

Ditto on the ricer look.

Gotta wonder how long that curb finder is going to last up front as well.

waynepayne
12/19/2010, 12:03 PM
personally I think its ugly.

sooner ngintunr
12/19/2010, 01:47 PM
Rather have it blacked out. Whats up with that front splitter? Seems overkill to me.

Love the chirp going into 2nd.:D

Curly Bill
12/19/2010, 02:20 PM
Wheels are sposed to be chrome..

..just sayin.

MR2-Sooner86
12/19/2010, 02:32 PM
Some of you people...

For starters, a ricer is an Asian car. Second, the term "ricer" is used to describe a car that has modification that serve no purpose in regards to performance. This car has the performance to back it up. Finally, the only thing really flashy are the wheels on it. They're not bad. Why? Chrome is OVERrated.

http://www.cartomotive.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Laguna-Seca-2012-Side-View-670x475.jpg
http://www.investmentmotorcars.net/inventory/list_thumbnails/boss5.jpg
http://www.autotodays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/2012-ford-mustang.jpg
http://www.lowcountrymustangs.com/1970%20Boss%20302.jpg

If I had to change anything about the car, it'd be the hood. Instead of the stripe going back I'd rather it go up over the hood like in the originals instead of an all black hood. Also the red in the grill I could do without. That's just me though.

AlboSooner
12/19/2010, 04:42 PM
chrome wheels are just lame. it pains me to see a corvettes out there with lame chrome wheels.

texaspokieokie
12/19/2010, 04:53 PM
i prefer vettes with chrome wheels. to each his own.

yermom
12/19/2010, 05:08 PM
Some of you people...

For starters, a ricer is an Asian car. Second, the term "ricer" is used to describe a car that has modification that serve no purpose in regards to performance. This car has the performance to back it up. Finally, the only thing really flashy are the wheels on it. They're not bad. Why? Chrome is OVERrated.

perhaps you are not familiar with the American ricer favorite, the Dodge Neon:

http://riceorama.com/images/2009/feb/neon.jpg

:D

soonerinkaty
12/19/2010, 05:17 PM
^ That makes me want to shoot Fast and the Furious ****heads in the face.

MR2-Sooner86
12/19/2010, 06:13 PM
perhaps you are not familiar with the American ricer favorite, the Dodge Neon:

http://riceorama.com/images/2009/feb/neon.jpg

:D

Well if I'm not mistaken the engine and turbo were designed by Mitsubishi so...it's still a ricer ;)

texaspokieokie
12/20/2010, 09:41 AM
to me, "ricer" is short for "rice-burner". any asian car.

term has been around for at least 25 yrs.

yermom
12/20/2010, 09:51 AM
"ricers" are also people that do that to cars in current terms, generally making their cars look retarded, but not actually doing performance mods

when the term started and applied to Japanese cars, they weren't quite as pervasive in society as they are now.

texaspokieokie
12/20/2010, 09:54 AM
yep.

sooneron
12/20/2010, 02:59 PM
Meh, can it actually take a corner, unlike it's Shelby/5.0 counterpart?

MR2-Sooner86
12/20/2010, 03:02 PM
Meh, can it actually take a corner, unlike it's Shelby/5.0 counterpart?

This and the new Shelby can pull over 1.0 G in the corner. Car and Driver also did a comparison in October and an M3 barely beat a GT by only 1.5 seconds around the track. Saying the new Mustang can't corner is just silly.

sooneron
12/20/2010, 03:03 PM
I have heard the suspension is cheap and not good.

sooneron
12/20/2010, 03:04 PM
And if you're talking about a 1G turn at a nascar track on a big bank, I'm still not interested.

yermom
12/20/2010, 03:09 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q3/2012_ford_mustang_boss_302_boss_302_laguna_seca-official_photos_and_info

sounds pretty serious...

Ford’s performance claims for the 2012 Boss 302 include cornering capability in excess of 1.0 g, shorter stopping distances than provided by the GT—even with its available brake upgrade—and a 155-mph top speed. Ford declined to provide acceleration figures, but the 302 should handily beat the 2011 Mustang GT’s marks of 4.6 seconds from standstill to 60 mph and 13.2 seconds through the quarter-mile at 109 mph.

those things must be pretty heavy though, my 300HP Subaru is supposed to do 4.6 to 60 and low 13s

MR2-Sooner86
12/20/2010, 03:16 PM
And if you're talking about a 1G turn at a nascar track on a big bank, I'm still not interested.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comp arison/index.html

"The Mustang carries 8.8 pounds per pony to the M3's 8.6. And yet, at the test track, the 5.0 equals or betters the M3 in every performance category we measure. Both hit 60 mph in 4.4 seconds, but the Mustang is faster to the quarter mile by a tenth of a second and 0.7 mph-12.7 seconds at 111.6 mph. It also stops two feet shorter from 60 mph-a tie as far as we're concerned-and the GT really shatters the M myth on the skidpad. America's original ponycar manages to outgrip one of Germany's most iconic sports cars to the tune 0.2 second through our figure eight and by 0.01 g in lateral acceleration."

Also since some will ask...
BASE PRICE: M3-$60,575 GT-$30,495
PRICE AS TESTED: M3-$67,025 GT-$40,275
MT FIGURE EIGHT: M3-25.1 sec @ 0.74 g (avg) GT-24.9 sec @ 0.76 g (avg)
EPA CITY/HWY ECON: M3-14/20 mpg GT-17/26 mpg

MR2-Sooner86
12/20/2010, 03:18 PM
those things must be pretty heavy though, my 300HP Subaru is supposed to do 4.6 to 60 and low 13s

The new 5.0 GT's base weight is 3600. What's your STi, around 3000?

yermom
12/20/2010, 03:38 PM
3200ish?

AlboSooner
12/20/2010, 05:26 PM
Since the economic collapse, the big three have turned their eyes to Europe and are doing what the Europeans have done for years: make a fast sports car which can handle. As a result you have the newest Mustang with a lot of Hp and a modern suspension, then you have the Caddy CSV, which rivals the M5.

A ricer to me is to mod your car without any performance gains. Putting a wing on you car and your car can't even go over 135mhp.

texaspokieokie
12/20/2010, 05:33 PM
yep, cad has vette engine & vette ain't too bad.

yermom
12/20/2010, 05:59 PM
IMO you can thank Subaru for the HP wars

when they finally released the WRX here in 2001 the game really changed. when $25k 4-drs started performing like Mustangs and Camaros and BMWs, everyone had to try to keep up

soonerinkaty
12/20/2010, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't give Subaru that much credit. Not to say they don't make a great vehicle, because they do, but I don't think it was Subaru's doing that made the US companies step it up.

MR2-Sooner86
12/20/2010, 08:08 PM
Since the economic collapse, the big three have turned their eyes to Europe and are doing what the Europeans have done for years: make a fast sports car which can handle.

What they're really doing is catching up in tech. The European cars have always been more expensive but you have all that engineering to thank for it. Why do you think U.S. highways have speed limits and Germans don't? The Germans had ABS, airbags, seatbelts, and other safty features in them when American cars didn't in the 1950s when the first major highways were being put into place.
Anyway, speaking of the Mustang and M3 the Mustang didn't get an OHC engine until 1996, 10 years after the first M3 came out and it had a DOHC. It took Ford a while but their modular engines are really coming into play. You also have their EcoBoost family which is really making a big splash. To get that same technology into their cars 10-15 years ago would have doubled the price.
The thing with European cars is you can get the state of the art technology but you're going to pay for it. The reason you don't see it American cars as much is it takes a while for it to become cheaper.

For instance AWD was pretty expensive but now it's cheap enough lower end cars can do it and do it without it breaking. Subaru has shown thins.

IMO you can thank Subaru for the HP wars

when they finally released the WRX here in 2001 the game really changed. when $25k 4-drs started performing like Mustangs and Camaros and BMWs, everyone had to try to keep up

I can't give them that as horsepower wars were going on before it hit the market. When they first came out an STi would run you the same price as a Cobra or SS. Different types of cars. They handled better but in the 1/4 mile it was a different story.
The only AWD turbocharged car that was a true monster was the Godzilla AKA Skyline but that wasn't sold in America.
If you're talking more sporty family cars, yes. However, things really got interesting when the EVO came into the market in '03 and they both started duking it out. There were many other Japanese cars that were pushing horsepower before Subaru came along but I think the market was different.

What Subaru has done is shown that a sophisticated car can be cheap, reliable, and fun for an everyday grocery getter. It's fun for dad with the turbocharger when it comes to going to the movies at night but mom feels safe getting groceries when it's snowing due to the AWD. However if that's not enough you can go get an STi and really have some fun.

Subaru's formula works and now others are copying it. How many turbocharged AWD cars did you see before the Subaru WRX hit the market? Now you have the Ford Taurus SHO, Mazda6, Toyota Matrix, and others.

A history lesson, Ford actually planned to go down that road. The Ford Probe was actually going to replace the Mustang. Ford planned to make a turbocharged AWD car like the Eclipse GS-T, GSX, Nissan 240sx, 300Z, 3000GT, etc. However John Coletti told them they were nuts and had them stop it. Also, the poor sales of Ford Probes compared to Mustangs helped as well.

AlboSooner
12/20/2010, 08:59 PM
I think Ford, Chevy, and Dodge has been putting crap in the US market and they were punished. I mean, prior to the economic collapse, you didn't see a car by Ford in the US like the Ford Fiesta made in Britain in Europe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e7R3y-qwZ0
Great little car imo.

Then the collapse came, and the big three saw America loving German cars, and Asian cars, and started putting cars in the market like that in the market.

Their smaller fleets are taking on the Asian cars, and their performance fleets are taking on the Euros.

I like bimmers, but you'd be crazy to overlook the newest Mustang GTO (only the newest) on your way to buy an M3. Like MR2 said, the German cars have a lot technology and are very safe, but the hardcore tuner, the weekend racer, will think twice before buying another M3, when the mustang performs about the same but 20 grand cheaper.

If our cars find a way to include more technology, make a good interior (almost all US cars suffer from terrible interiors), and keep the prices down...watch out imports....

Xunil
12/20/2010, 10:34 PM
Since the economic collapse, the big three have turned their eyes to Europe and are doing what the Europeans have done for years: make a fast sports car which can handle. As a result you have the newest Mustang with a lot of Hp and a modern suspension, then you have the Caddy CSV, which rivals the M5.

A ricer to me is to mod your car without any performance gains. Putting a wing on you car and your car can't even go over 135mhp.

pffft... there are plenty of fast Euro sports cars with lousy handling. Not everything made on the old continent is the M3.

soonerboomer93
12/21/2010, 01:31 AM
from what I could see in the video, looks like Ford still has a long way to go in the interior department fit and finish. (and chevy is even worse, my buddy's new suburban is just crap). That's a major thing that keeps me from even looking at a ford car. Everytime I'm in one, I'm jsut amazed at how far behind they are.

Last mustang I was in, had no bottle holders in the doors, but yet, you could change the color of the led lighting in the foot well.

2121Sooner
12/21/2010, 01:44 AM
Looks Taco'd out

MR2-Sooner86
12/21/2010, 02:12 AM
I think Ford, Chevy, and Dodge has been putting crap in the US market and they were punished. I mean, prior to the economic collapse, you didn't see a car by Ford in the US like the Ford Fiesta made in Britain in Europe.

The problem with the Big Three is they all bet the farm on SUVs and such. The cheap gas in the 90's made them believe it would last a while, it didn't. Ford was able to bounce back as they were already going in that direction some. The other two got hammered.

from what I could see in the video, looks like Ford still has a long way to go in the interior department fit and finish. (and chevy is even worse, my buddy's new suburban is just crap). That's a major thing that keeps me from even looking at a ford car. Everytime I'm in one, I'm jsut amazed at how far behind they are.

Last mustang I was in, had no bottle holders in the doors, but yet, you could change the color of the led lighting in the foot well.

Again, what do you want? If you want a nice interior, you're going to pay for it. For a car that's around $25,000 and it's main target is performance, interior isn't a big issue. I mean who buys a Mustang for the interior? Also, to some it matters, to others it doesn't. I don't care for all the leather or the fake wood panels. Other people go nuts over the stuff and all the bells and whistles.

SoonerBorn68
12/21/2010, 04:45 AM
That car could be baby crap yellow with purple stripes & it would still be badass.

The dealership I use to work for will be getting one when they become available and I will get to test drive it. I'll let you guys know.

SC Sooner
12/21/2010, 09:18 AM
Instrument panel is a little lacking, but the cluster on the dash looked pretty cool.