PDA

View Full Version : Lying to Your Kids About Santa Claus

MR2-Sooner86
12/18/2010, 01:04 PM
I had this conversation a long time ago and figured I'd share.

When you get down to it, is it really good to lie to your children about Santa Claus?

Yes, you're getting in the spirit of the Holidays. Yes, we all know Santa Claus is in all of us. Yes, we know it's all in good fun.

However, doesn't change the fact you're purposely pulling a fast one on your kids. You're going out of your way to trick them into believing something that is not real. Most would say it's harmless fun but is it really okay to tell your children, "Oh, Santa Claus? Yeah, we lied to you this whole time. Was fun though wasn't it?" I mean why wouldn't a child believe their parents? Again, I know it's done in the 'Spirit of the Holidays' but it doesn't change the fact you're lying.

I actually do know some people who never got the Santa Claus treatment from their parents or don't practice it because of this line of thinking. Was curious what you guys thought.

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 01:21 PM
It's a long-standing, harmless tradition, much like the snark hunt. Why over-think it?

sooner59
12/18/2010, 01:44 PM
It's a long-standing, harmless tradition, much like the snark hunt. Why over-think it?

I once shot one of these from 1000 yards out. Just sayin. :cool:

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 01:47 PM
I once shot one of these from 1000 yards out. Just sayin. :cool:

You beat LosAnglesSooner to it.

olevetonahill
12/18/2010, 01:58 PM

WTH is a SNARK hunt ?:rolleyes:

sooner59
12/18/2010, 01:59 PM
I used to call it snipe hunting. I only caught 3 or 4 in my day.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/18/2010, 02:06 PM
Kids are pretty resilient.

cccasooner2
12/18/2010, 02:08 PM
I wish I had not read this thread. I had no idea. :(

Sniff.

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 02:10 PM
WTH is a SNARK hunt ?:rolleyes:

So your dad never did fill you in, heh?

soonerinkaty
12/18/2010, 02:10 PM
Next you're gonna tell me the Easter Bunny or Jesus aren't real.

sooner59
12/18/2010, 02:14 PM
TEBOW IS NOT REAL!!!

usaosooner
12/18/2010, 02:35 PM
You lie to your kids everyday why is this bad?

Partial Qualifier
12/18/2010, 02:37 PM
I've had the same thoughts. I don't really go all overboard with Santa because, yes, I have a problem lying to my children.

Looking back to being 8 years old: I don't remember **** about "Being good for Santa" or thinking he was anything more than a strange guy in a ridiculous outfit. But I definitely remember feeling stupid when I found out Santa was a big trick being pulled on us.

I dont have a problem with it, I just don't get all into it

XFollower
12/18/2010, 02:39 PM
Snipe? never heard of a snark

The
12/18/2010, 02:40 PM
I used to go skank hunting.

/Good times....

3rdgensooner
12/18/2010, 02:43 PM
Santa is magical! Like Harry Potter and the Twilight vampires!

Thaumaturge
12/18/2010, 03:04 PM
"Santa Claus" is the greatest hypocrisy the world will ever know.

FirstandGoal
12/18/2010, 03:14 PM
As soon as I thought my kids were old enough to handle the truth, I told them about Santa.
My reason was pretty selfish: Why should some fat guy in a red suit get credit for all the cool gifts I worked my *** off to get them?

soonercruiser
12/18/2010, 03:22 PM
As soon as I thought my kids were old enough to handle the truth, I told them about Santa.
My reason was pretty selfish: Why should some fat guy in a red suit get credit for all the cool gifts I worked my *** off to get them?

This is the way to go!
**Otherwise, I'd worry more about all the other lies that parents tell ther kids; or the other bad examples they set for their children.
:rolleyes:

Kids will have a much bigger problems as adults (than the truth about Santa)if their parents don't "grow up" too!

sooner n houston
12/18/2010, 03:51 PM
To me Santa was a fun fairy tale. I also think you tell your kids the truth about Santa as soon as they ask. I would tell mine that Santa was a real person that lived long ago. That he loved children and so at Christmas time he went around his town and gave out toys to all the children. As people began to tell others about Santa, other people liked this idea and they began doing the same thing in other towns, all over the world, all the while calling themselves Santa Clause. I tell them that the spirit of giving to others is always a good thing and it makes people feel good to give to others without receiving any credit for it. I would explain that parents like to do this for their kids and have been doing so for a long time. I explain that having a little fantasy game can be fun for everyone. I also tell them that they don't have to tell their friends our little secret but should instead just play along with the story and let others discover the secret when they are ready.

OUthunder
12/18/2010, 03:54 PM
LAS knows grenades.

soonerchk
12/18/2010, 03:56 PM
The spirit of Santa is real, so where exactly is the problem?

OUthunder
12/18/2010, 03:57 PM
I'm Santa in every way possible. Life is serious enough, I say let the kids "believe" for as long as possible. I'm enjoying it while it lasts, the innocence of it all is the charm to me.

FirstandGoal
12/18/2010, 04:01 PM
To me Santa was a fun fairy tale. I also think you tell your kids the truth about Santa as soon as they ask. I would tell mine that Santa was a real person that lived long ago. That he loved children and so at Christmas time he went around his town and gave out toys to all the children. As people began to tell others about Santa, other people liked this idea and they began doing the same thing in other towns, all over the world, all the while calling themselves Santa Clause. I tell them that the spirit of giving to others is always a good thing and it makes people feel good to give to others without receiving any credit for it. I would explain that parents like to do this for their kids and have been doing so for a long time. I explain that having a little fantasy game can be fun for everyone. I also tell them that they don't have to tell their friends our little secret but should instead just play along with the story and let others discover the secret when they are ready.

My sister, having a lot of the same ideas for parenting as I do told her 6 year old daughter 2 years ago the truth about Saint Nick. She also explained that he was once a real person.

The next day she got a phone call from the first grade teacher cause all the kids were crying in class. The reason? My niece kinda garbled up the translation and told all of the kids that Santa was dead. :D

VeeJay
12/18/2010, 04:03 PM
The spirit of Santa is real, so where exactly is the problem?

^^^^

Mrs. VJ handled this one pretty good with our daughter last year. She told her, "Santa Claus is real if you believe in him and want him to be."

This, after a loud mouthed neighbor told our daughter when she was five "SANTA CLAUS IS YOUR PARENTS!"

I haven't heard of too many kids who have been permanently damaged or mentally incapacitated over this horrible deceitful fraud. :rolleyes:

Sheesh - get a grip! Let kids be kids.

soonerchk
12/18/2010, 04:05 PM
^^^^

Mrs. VJ handled this one pretty good with our daughter last year. She told her, "Santa Claus is real if you believe in him and want him to be."

This, after a loud mouthed neighbor told our daughter when she was five "SANTA CLAUS IS YOUR PARENTS!"

I haven't heard of too many kids who have been permanently damaged or mentally incapacitated over this horrible deceitful fraud. :rolleyes:

Sheesh - get a grip! Let kids be kids.

Probably the same group that's traumatized by Christmas celebrations.:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
12/18/2010, 04:14 PM
http://stoneywageslave.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/santas-dead.jpg

olevetonahill
12/18/2010, 04:16 PM
Dayum rednecks :D
http://www.gitt.net/funny-pics/deadsanta.jpg

AlbqSooner
12/18/2010, 04:26 PM
Dayum rednecks :D
http://www.gitt.net/funny-pics/deadsanta.jpg

Isn't that the First Dude? :eek:

JohnnyMack
12/18/2010, 04:32 PM
People still take their kids to church, what's the difference?

olevetonahill
12/18/2010, 04:32 PM

:D

VeeJay
12/18/2010, 04:48 PM

Sarah would let him take the reindeer, but she'd let Saint Nick live.

VeeJay
12/18/2010, 04:51 PM
Probably the same group that's traumatized by Christmas celebrations.:rolleyes:

Those evil Christians putting up their manger displays! How utterly offensive! I'd much rather see a car bomb display on every town square in America!

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 04:57 PM
People still take their kids to church, what's the difference?

God is real.

Now that I have settled this argument once and for all, back to work I go.

oumartin
12/18/2010, 05:42 PM
You people take yourself way to serious

MR2-Sooner86
12/18/2010, 06:12 PM
Probably the same group that's traumatized by Pagan celebrations.:rolleyes:

;)

Jacie
12/18/2010, 07:39 PM
Whilst it has always been and continues to be a time-honored tradition in my family, I can say it didn't take my girls too long to figure out on their own that there was only one fat man bringing them presents and his name wasn't Santa Claus . . .

soonercruiser
12/18/2010, 10:22 PM

And dem dead raindeer be dem dern liberals!
:D

soonercruiser
12/18/2010, 10:27 PM
Those evil Christians putting up their manger displays! How utterly offensive! I'd much rather see a car bomb display on every town square in America!

That reminds me.
Just down the street from us is the business that was on the news last year - they do a funny Santa display every year on the fronting street.
They are an auto repair business, so Santa is usually in some type of accident. Some parents got upset and called the news channel last year to complain.
I made it a point to do business there last month, and thanked them for their sense of humor.

achiro
12/18/2010, 10:41 PM
You people take yourself way to serious

I was just thinking about how sad and pathetic some of them are but you were able to say it in a bit nicer way.

cccasooner2
12/18/2010, 10:53 PM
-yB7J7DYi6M&feature=related

MonkeyMouth
12/18/2010, 11:06 PM
Kids have to grow up fast enough as it is. So let them enjoy what little childhood they have nowadays.

King Barry's Back
12/19/2010, 07:59 AM

I have to say that answer's pretty much spot on, though your post is far too reasonable and well-thought-out for a soonerfans thread.

3rdgensooner
12/27/2010, 11:44 AM
The fundamentalist war on Santa the psychedelic shaman (http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/the_fundamentalist_war_against_santa_the_psychedel ic_shaman/)(The will like this story)

http://www.dangerousminds.net/images/uploads/SANTAS.jpg

At first, Christian fundamentalist group Repent Amarillo’s recent charming video of their firing-squad execution of a Santa piñata (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AbwKfeKx9E) in the name of putting the Savior back in to the holiday seems typical.

But after reading Canadian cannabis activist Dana Larsen’s 2003 article (http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3136.html) on the apparent psychotropic and shamanic origins of Santa Claus and many other Christmas traditions, it made some deeper sense to me.

Skip down to the explanatory vid… (http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/the_fundamentalist_war_against_santa_the_psychedel ic_shaman/#C4)

According to Larsen, the Lapps of modern-day Finland and the Koyak tribes of the central Russian steppes had holy men in their ranks who regularly imbibed the hallucinogenic red & white amanita muscaria mushroom (also known as “fly agaric”). These ‘shrooming shamen proved to be the model of the figure we now know as Santa Claus.

Larsen also contends that the Christmas tree was originally seen as a “World Tree”, typically a fir or evergreen, species under which the amanita muscaria mushroom thrived:

The World Tree was seen as a kind of cosmic axis, onto which the planes of the universe are fixed. The roots of the World Tree stretch down into the underworld, its trunk is the “middle earth” of everyday existence, and its branches reach upwards into the heavenly realm. So, of course, the North Star around which all stars seemed to revolve was always aligned with the top of the tree—thus the star on top of the modern Christmas tree. These ancients also saw the magic mushroom springing up as “virgin births” seeded by the morning dew, which is symbolized by the tinsel on the tree. Trippy, eh?
Also:

In the highly stoned eyes of these shamen, amanita muscara-eating reindeer appeared to, well, fly.
Santa wears the red-and-white outfit of the original mushroom gatherers, his ruddy glow is an effect of the ‘shrooms, and like most shamen, used the central smoke hole (chimney) of his animal-skin shelter as an entrance or exit.
Oh and those mostly red, bulbous ornaments on the tree? Those symbolize the ‘shrooms red caps, which the ancients used to dry on the trees.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/27/2010, 02:12 PM
I told my kid that the little piggy went wee, wee, wee all the way home.

I'm evil I know.

soonervegas
12/27/2010, 04:00 PM
I explain that having a little fantasy game can be fun for everyone.

Word.

Preservation Parcels
12/27/2010, 08:01 PM
I still vividly remember accusing my mother of lying. I told her that if she lied about that, I wouldn't trust her about anything else. I was a very literal kid. It stuck with me enough that when we had children, I wanted to be honest with them.

We told our sons the truth from early on. Christmas is about God sending his Son to earth to live as a human and to die for our sins so that we could be with Him in Heaven forever. He is the greatest gift ever given. St. Nicholas was a nice man who did kind things. Truth works.