PDA

View Full Version : Job Hunting really sucks

proud gonzo
12/17/2010, 05:53 PM
Really. Really really sucks.

Been unemployed since I graduated in May with my Masters. Anybody in Norman need a writer?

mgsooner
12/17/2010, 05:56 PM
Yes, yes it does. One of my least favorite things in the world to do. Probably why I've stayed the same place for almost 7 years now when I probably shouldn't have.

yermom
12/17/2010, 05:57 PM
do you write capstone papers?

NormanPride
12/17/2010, 06:09 PM
Are you willing to do copy work for advertising? That's the only writing connection that I have...

Jammin'
12/17/2010, 06:09 PM
What do you write? Books and such?

My Opinion Matters
12/17/2010, 06:25 PM
You could ghost write my posts for me. It would require practically no mental effort.

yermom
12/17/2010, 06:30 PM
you'd pay for that?

My Opinion Matters
12/17/2010, 06:33 PM
you'd pay for that?

No offense, but I've seen your work and quite frankly I'm not that impressed.

silverwheels
12/17/2010, 06:45 PM
I agree. I need a job in a kitchen somewhere, preferably by February. And I don't mean McDonald's or T.G.I. Friday's. I mean a real restaurant.

Penguin
12/17/2010, 06:53 PM

Been unemployed since I graduated in May with my Masters. Anybody in Norman need a writer?

Have you considered getting paid for medical experiments? You'll get paid and you might wind up growing wings. That would be cool.

waynepayne
12/17/2010, 07:23 PM
I agree. I need a job in a kitchen somewhere, preferably by February. And I don't mean McDonald's or T.G.I. Friday's. I mean a real restaurant.

you looking to stay in the Paseo District?

silverwheels
12/17/2010, 07:27 PM
you looking to stay in the Paseo District?

Only if you leave.

Actually, the Paseo Grill would be cool.

waynepayne
12/17/2010, 07:30 PM
Only if you leave.

Actually, the Paseo Grill would be cool.

Pfft. you know I live in Nompton and yes the Paseo Grill is a great restaurant with a cool staff. Good Luck! :)

silverwheels
12/17/2010, 07:36 PM
Pfft. you know I live in Nompton and yes the Paseo Grill is a great restaurant with a cool staff. Good Luck! :)

Thanks! I technically just need the job until I graduate at the end of June, and then I can do whatever I want. Working in New York would be cool, and I would learn more than I would here. Then maybe after a while proud gonzo can help me write a cookbook.

yermom
12/17/2010, 07:40 PM
No offense, but I've seen your work and quite frankly I'm not that impressed.

:mad:

proud gonzo
12/17/2010, 10:31 PM
do you write capstone papers?
Dude, I'm seriously considering that route.

Have you considered getting paid for medical experiments? You'll get paid and you might wind up growing wings. That would be cool.

that WOULD be pretty cool...

At this point I don't even care if it's a writing job. I can answer phones.
I'm so desperate I actually just applied to OSU's OKC campus for an adjunct position. It's THAT bad.

reflector
12/17/2010, 10:36 PM
Post your résumé and maybe we can help.

olevetonahill
12/17/2010, 10:37 PM
Heres a vacancy er Job opportunity :D
http://www.wired.com/images/article/magazine/1612/st_streetlamp_f.jpg

Ike
12/18/2010, 01:33 AM
Sadly, don't know anyone looking to hire anyone right now. That said, don't get discouraged. A few industries are starting pick up a little. Go for the shotgun approach, such that you can.

Additionally, keep writing. Even if you aren't getting paid. Having a body of work to point to will pay off in the long run, and even when things are tough, you don't want to lose sight of your long term goals. Besides, you might even build up a hungry audience online.

Also, don't be afraid of shameless self promotion. As the now late Bob Feller would say: "If you don't promote yourself, well, who will?"

SCOUT
12/18/2010, 01:37 AM
Have you looked into things like technical writing? Engineers typically need LOTS of help writing the things that other people are supposed to follow. Also, most consulting firms have people who actually write their proposals and client deliverables for them. I recognize this isn't your career goal, but it might be a bridge.

proud gonzo
12/18/2010, 02:44 AM
Have you looked into things like technical writing? Engineers typically need LOTS of help writing the things that other people are supposed to follow. Also, most consulting firms have people who actually write their proposals and client deliverables for them. I recognize this isn't your career goal, but it might be a bridge.
Ok, so if I'm looking for jobs like that what would the job titles be? I don't know how to FIND stuff like that.

yermom
12/18/2010, 02:48 AM
Dude, I'm seriously considering that route.

this was an interesting read...

http://sigmundcarlandalfred.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/academic-mercenary-the-man-who-writes-your-students-papers-tells-his-story/

sounds like a lot of $$$ to pay for a paperto me...

yermom
12/18/2010, 02:48 AM
Ok, so if I'm looking for jobs like that what would the job titles be? I don't know how to FIND stuff like that.

"technical writer"

:D

SCOUT
12/18/2010, 03:04 AM
Well, technical writer would be one as yermom stated in such a subtle manner. Job titles are too hard to try and pin down. I understand that Monster, Careerbuilder, etc. search by job title, but that isn't what I would recommend in this case.

You would be better served (IMO) by contacting local consulting firms, manufacturing companies, and of course software companies that are in your area. Or, if you want to use those online services, use company name searches instead of job titles.

We used to employ 4 "technical writers" for our software product. 1 was called a technical writer, 2 were considered quality assurance, and 1 was in product development.

My brother was a technical writer for Perot Systems and now works for the Chickasaw Nation. It is a surprisingly large field.

SteelClip49
12/18/2010, 05:43 AM
I was let go from the OUHSC 3 days before Thanksgiving and just now got approved for unemployment benefits. I am starting my Masters in May at SNU. It's a b***h to find a job. I have applied to the Thunder, Compsource, OSUOKC, Coca-Cola...to name a few as far as communications positions are concerned. I have a house and I don't want to lose it. I am getting by but I hate being out of work, especially when I have a degree.

I want to do some part time writing but not until I have a full time job that plays a minimum of $13 an hour.

Life sucks!

SoonerJack
12/18/2010, 12:06 PM
pm sent

SanJoaquinSooner
12/18/2010, 12:44 PM
1. That's the thing about college towns. You have people with masters degrees working at McDonalds. Are you limited to Norman?

2. I have a cousin who just wanted to write. He would get any kind of job, preferably afternoon/evening so he could focus on writing in the morning. He got a couple of novels published and won lots of poetry and short story contests, but never made much money. He's lived the true bohemian lifestyle.

3. I've seen some college grads who faced a tough job market take any kind of job and then make connections once inside to move up. But Norman may have limited opportunities.

4. Working this board is smart. Often, it's all about who you know.... the strength of weak ties.

Best of luck to you.

proud gonzo
12/18/2010, 01:21 PM
1. Well, for now Norman and OKC area--within driving distance
2. At this point I'm looking for any kind of job, I'd just prefer one that's actually somewhat geared toward my education.

thanks for all the help, y'all

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 01:29 PM
One thing about technical writing is that employers are not necessarily looking for someone with a masters in English. Often they want an engineer with a strong writing background, such as a bachelors in English or a history of winning grant proposals. English majors often spend considerable time in literature or creative writing, and employers often don't consider those experiences essential.

If you minored in another subject area, I suggest looking into that field and stressing your writing skills. Or consider picking up a bachelors in a field related to management, information technology, etc.

You can also freelance online with outlets such as guru.com.

yermom
12/18/2010, 01:35 PM
my capstone offer still stands

there could be tree fiddy in it for you. and probably a bag of Cheetos. i'll probably even leave them unopened.

OutlandTrophy
12/18/2010, 02:15 PM
I always wondered what people with degrees in English, Literature, Writing, etc did when they graduated. I guess they look for jobs?

Not trying to be mean but it costs roughly the same amount of money to get a degree that enables you to be employed with a good salary when you graduate as it does to get a degree in Letters, Philosophy, Writing, English, etc.

Why major in something that has no demand for their graduates?

yermom
12/18/2010, 02:23 PM
you should ask meteorologists that question :D

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 02:25 PM
I always wondered what people with degrees in English, Literature, Writing, etc did when they graduated. I guess they look for jobs?

Not trying to be mean but it costs roughly the same amount of money to get a degree that enables you to be employed with a good salary when you graduate as it does to get a degree in Letters, Philosophy, Writing, English, etc.

People possessing degrees in English are quite employable. Writing is a highly sought skill in many different fields. But the economy is just horrible right now.

proud gonzo
12/18/2010, 02:32 PM
One thing about technical writing is that employers are not necessarily looking for someone with a masters in English. Often they want an engineer with a strong writing background, such as a bachelors in English or a history of winning grant proposals. English majors often spend considerable time in literature or creative writing, and employers often don't consider those experiences essential.

If you minored in another subject area, I suggest looking into that field and stressing your writing skills. Or consider picking up a bachelors in a field related to management, information technology, etc.

You can also freelance online with outlets such as guru.com.
My Masters degree isn't in English. It's a Journalism degree--specifically Professional Writing. I didn't take literature and english classes, I took journalism and mass communication classes. My other areas of study are music performance and film and video studies, so that tactic doesn't so much work.

I didn't go to college to get a job; I went to college to further my education in my chosen fields. I would rather have a degree related to my talents and interests than be bored and miserable my entire life.

People possessing degrees in English are quite employable. Writing is a highly sought skill in many different fields. But the economy is just horrible right now.

exactly.

3rdgensooner
12/18/2010, 02:40 PM
II would rather have a degree related to my talents and interests than be bored and miserable my entire life.Good call and good luck with your search.

oumartin
12/18/2010, 02:44 PM
I figure if your worth a crap jobs will typically find you.

If you're serious about working go get a paper and look at the help wanted section or go flip a burger for a few months. You may find that is your calling in life and that you've wasted alot of time and money trying to be a writer.

"do you want fries with that?"

Harry Beanbag
12/18/2010, 02:56 PM
Is it can't find a job or can't find a job that you think is good enough for someone with a masters degree and no experience?

proud gonzo
12/18/2010, 03:53 PM
I figure if your worth a crap jobs will typically find you.

If you're serious about working go get a paper and look at the help wanted section or go flip a burger for a few months. You may find that is your calling in life and that you've wasted alot of time and money trying to be a writer.

"do you want fries with that?"
Wow, thanks--I've been looking for a job for 7 months and it never occurred to me to check the help wanted ads. :rolleyes:

Is it can't find a job or can't find a job that you think is good enough for someone with a masters degree and no experience?The economy and job market are **** and there are hundreds of qualified people out of work, plus everyone is cutting back instead of hiring.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/18/2010, 05:33 PM
Well you can come work at Riverwind, I will put in a good word for you in anything you would want to do, they were hiring blackjack dealers and they make seriously sick money to do absolutely nothing.

sperry
12/18/2010, 06:17 PM
Well you can come work at Riverwind, I will put in a good word for you in anything you would want to do, they were hiring blackjack dealers and they make seriously sick money to do absolutely nothing.

Blackjack dealers make shockingly good money, considering it requires basically no skills or formal education. The total hours you put in isn't much either. Only bad thing is you work every weekend night, as that's when people are gambling the most. Had a buddy that was doing it through college and made something that amounted to over $50k a year.

proud gonzo
12/18/2010, 06:28 PM
seriously? dang

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 09:14 PM
My Masters degree isn't in English. It's a Journalism degree--specifically Professional Writing. I didn't take literature and english classes, I took journalism and mass communication classes.

Sorry to hear that.

King Barry's Back
12/18/2010, 09:26 PM

The first time I read this I honestly, honestly read it as 'Anybody in Norman need a waiter?" Given the unemployment rate, maybe you should be looking in that direction, at least for now?

I will give you some advice, unsolicitied, of course. Finding a job right now, and for the next year or two, is going to be real tough for fresh graduates. Don't let it get to you.

During the last big recession, early 90s, one of my good friends from high school graduated from OU with an engineering degree. He tried for years to get picked up as an engineer somewhere, and wound up working in Walmart for almost ten years.

Nothing at all against Walmart employees, but he wasn't exactly designing aircraft, either.

Ten years after graduation, after YEARS at Walmart, he got picked up by a MAJOR firm in the aerospace industry. They viewed his Walmart career as a testament to his work ethic. As far as I know, he has been beaucoup successful since then.

So keep plugging away and thing's will turn, eventually.

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 10:07 PM
During the last big recession, early 90s, one of my good friends from high school graduated from OU with an engineering degree. He tried for years to get picked up as an engineer somewhere, and wound up working in Walmart for almost ten years.

Nothing at all against Walmart employees, but he wasn't exactly designing aircraft, either.

Ten years after graduation, after YEARS at Walmart, he got picked up by a MAJOR firm in the aerospace industry. They viewed his Walmart career as a testament to his work ethic. As far as I know, he has been beaucoup successful since then.

So keep plugging away and thing's will turn, eventually.

There's a flip side to that lesson.

Keep plugging away, and every year you become less employable as fresh bodies graduate.

I'm not sure what the aerospace company was thinking when it hired a Wal-Mart employee, but I think his job at Wal-Mart could have only hurt him. Highly-degreed students working in menial jobs can become disenchanted and will slowly lose touch with their academic background. New graduates are energetic and rearing to go.

My suggestion: Get whatever job you can find, but obtain a volunteer position writing stories for a non-profit, even if pro bono. Anything that you can put down on a resume that screams, "I'm a journalist, dammit!" will help.

The resume should emphasize your journalism work and only mention Wal-Mart as a source of income to help you get by. An employer isn't going to hold that against you as long as you have shown an interest in staying in the field. Also, you can meet highly influential people working for Feed the Children. You're not going to meet anyone working at Wal-Mart.

Think of it this way, which phrase sounds better in your online bio? "Proud Gonzo then spent the next three years writing editorials, interviews, and news columns for the United Way" or "Proud Gonzo then spent the next three years as a cashier at Wal-Mart."

In other words, during the next few years you need to develop a portfolio. Working as a waiter isn't going to cut it, and you will slowly see the new grads gobbling up all the open jobs.

If you're not willing to put in 20 hours per week writing stories for a charity, then you probably need to get a job at Wal-Mart and stay there.

Harsh? Yeah, but I think you need to hear it.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/18/2010, 10:12 PM
I would think a writer might have a blog as an way to advertise oneself.

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 10:16 PM

Yes. And piggy-backing on my post, a blog as part of a charity/non-profit web site looks even better. As a volunteer, many of these organizations will provide the web space, and what better way to network with influential people?

yermom
12/18/2010, 10:24 PM

yeah, i don't know how she wouldn't have thought of that

soonercruiser
12/18/2010, 10:40 PM
Most all of what the Lizard said is good advice.
The pro bono work for a non-profit.

Anyone just interested in a job for now, should contact the Thunderbird Lodge off of 24 St.. They are having problems finding dependable staff.
I know the owners - they are good, fair people.

Mjcpr
12/18/2010, 10:46 PM
I know the owners - they are god, fair people.

How much does He pay?

yermom
12/18/2010, 10:50 PM
god people?

no thanks.

soonercruiser
12/18/2010, 10:59 PM
god people?

no thanks.

:P Yup!
They are building an arc!
You're not invited!
:P

yermom
12/18/2010, 11:04 PM
heh

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 11:06 PM
Most all of what the Lizard said is good advice.
The pro bono work for a non-profit.

Anyone just interested in a job for now, should contact the Thunderbird Lodge off of 24 St.. They are having problems finding dependable staff.

Because of this?

http://giving.typepad.com/photos/scenes_of_wealth_bondage/thunderbird.jpg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/19/2010, 01:46 AM
Have you considered getting paid for medical experiments? You'll get paid and you might wind up growing wings. That would be cool.Could the above be your best post EVAR!?!?!?

12/19/2010, 01:50 AM
Ok, so if I'm looking for jobs like that what would the job titles be? I don't know how to FIND stuff like that.The job title is "Good English writers who can 'splain crap to numbskulls"

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 02:02 AM
The job title is "Good English writers who can 'splain crap to numbskulls"

Yeah, and don't mention that you post anything in here.

OutlandTrophy
12/19/2010, 09:16 AM
did you have any internships while in college? have you contacted them?

I Am Right
12/19/2010, 10:02 AM
It helps in your job search to: 1. No tatoos coming out of your shirt, If a shirt is worn, 2. remove the face jewelery, 3. wash and brush hair, maybe even have your hair styled, 4. Turn off the cell phone, I know you need to keep in touch, but leave phone in car, If you don't own a car leave at home, 5. Don't wear black clothes, remember there is no such thing as vampires.

Good luck and bring a copy of your GED.

proud gonzo
12/19/2010, 12:35 PM
I would think a writer might have a blog as an way to advertise oneself. Blogs are good so that when an employer googles your name, Facebook isn't the first thing that comes up and they can get writing samples. But they don't exactly ADVERTISE you because every chucklehead out there has a blog.

did you have any internships while in college? have you contacted them?
I had one and it was a small film company in NYC. The entire company is 3 dudes and they don't hire.

It helps in your job search to: 1. No tatoos coming out of your shirt, If a shirt is worn, 2. remove the face jewelery, 3. wash and brush hair, maybe even have your hair styled, 4. Turn off the cell phone, I know you need to keep in touch, but leave phone in car, If you don't own a car leave at home, 5. Don't wear black clothes, remember there is no such thing as vampires.

Good luck and bring a copy of your GED.
:rolleyes:

StoopTroup
12/19/2010, 12:51 PM
If you aren't successful after a time you could join the Air National Guard. With a Master's Degree you should be a shoe in. Quite a good resume builder.

Whet
12/19/2010, 01:10 PM
Marines.

proud gonzo
12/19/2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I won't be doing anything military.

OutlandTrophy
12/19/2010, 01:29 PM
so what kind of job experience do you have?

What skills do you have that would enable someone to make money by hiring you?

I Am Right
12/19/2010, 01:33 PM
I love it, "I need a job, help me, I Need a Job, however, No I can't consider that kind of job" Geees

badger
12/19/2010, 01:37 PM
OK, so I know master degrees recipients out of the JMC college that went back to getting internships after graduation... or went after jobs that bachelors degrees recipients had. There are also JMC grads that you haven't ever seen at job fairs, classes, etc. until the day of graduation, simply because they spent most of their time in another college, then transferred to JMC by their senior year to at least end up with a degree. My best advice is to get experience in the writing field of any kind - internship, job that you don't need a masters for, etc., just to match your JMC peers, if that's the direction you want to go.

Also, it's a little-known fact (or perhaps, not so little-known) that every college in the university has a public relations person that floods media and potential donors with press releases, alumni newsletters, Web site announcements, you name it. See if any of these jobs are open, because they're definitely in Norman (with potential trips to OKC occasionally for university events or cross-campus relations with some departments/colleges) and they're quite fun, from what I've heard. The ones that work with OU media relations (attend regents meetings, hand out stuff to media members for those dinners with famous speakers, answer phone and e-mail messages, etc) are usually ones that used to be in the field, so again, another good reason to get the resume loaded with work experience, even if its the unpaid variety. The museums also have these folks... athletic department too...

You might also get assistance through hire-OU-grads-now programs the university offers...sorry if you've already gone this route. If you haven't, you should be forewarned that I don't think all of their services are free. However, if you've been out of work for a few months, this will at least get you started.

Good luck!

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 01:45 PM
I love it, "I need a job, help me, I Need a Job, however, No I can't consider that kind of job" Geees

Everyone has different circumstances. For example, he may not be able to pass a military physical, or he may need to stay in the area for family reasons.

waynepayne
12/19/2010, 01:45 PM

you seem nice.

sperry
12/19/2010, 01:59 PM

Really? We should rip someone for wanting to work in the field they got their degree? You're saying if you got laid off tomorrow you would consider going to flip burgers or scrub toilets?

SanJoaquinSooner
12/19/2010, 02:12 PM
Everyone has different circumstances. For example, he may not be able to pass a military physical, or he may need to stay in the area for family reasons.

For the record, Proud Gonzo is a she, but the comments still apply. I think she got married this year, so she may be tied to location due to her spouse.

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 02:18 PM

Hey Punkin Butt. leroid thinks yer a guy :pop:

proud gonzo
12/19/2010, 02:25 PM
I love it, "I don't know you or your situation but I automatically assume you're a whiny, needy, lazy *******." Geees

Everyone has different circumstances. For example, he may not be able to pass a military physical, or he may need to stay in the area for family reasons. Mine is not well suited to military.

Really? We should rip someone for wanting to work in the field they got their degree? You're saying if you got laid off tomorrow you would consider going to flip burgers or scrub toilets?
exactly.

I started the thread because the job market sucks, unemployment is high, and for every job available there are dozens of qualified people competing. I'm not the only person dealing with this situation.

proud gonzo
12/19/2010, 02:31 PM
For the record, Proud Gonzo is a she, but the comments still apply. I think she got married this year, so she may be tied to location due to her spouse.
I got married 10 weeks ago and my husband is starting his doctorate soon at OU. We barely got moved IN; we can't relocate.

Hey Punkin Butt. leroid thinks yer a guy :pop:
nobody ever accused him of being observant ;)

badger
12/19/2010, 02:37 PM
Another thing on the colleges - I know one JMC masters grad that also became an adviser after getting their degree, so even if their PR jobs aren't there, there's likely other positions that you'd be qualified for, and as a recent grad, I'm sure they'd love you as a mentor for their kids.

Talk to your favorite college professors -they're the ones that'll provide references for you, so perhaps they'd also provide in's to job opportunities on campus.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/19/2010, 03:10 PM
Try this.

http://sde.state.ok.us/teacher/profstand/AltPlacement.html

Be a teacher! Yeah, the pay sucks bawls and the market is tight and you'll probably have to take a few classes to fill the gaps, but with your degree you're two tests (general education and subject specific test) and those few classes away from your teaching certificate.

Better than flipping burgers. And with your master's, you've got one helluva resume walking in the door compared to those scrambling with generic bachelor's degrees. All that AND it's an opportunity to stay somewhat local, build a resume for further efforts, or if you get comfortable, there's a pension in it for your trouble.

SHAPE THE MINDS OF AMERICA'S YOUTH.

Make young Sooners!

GKeeper316
12/19/2010, 03:11 PM
you could always work part-time writing scripts for local tv news...

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 03:48 PM
Try this.

Be a teacher! Yeah, the pay sucks bawls and the market is tight and you'll probably have to take a few classes to fill the gaps, but with your degree you're two tests (general education and subject specific test) and those few classes away from your teaching certificate.

Better than flipping burgers. And with your master's, you've got one helluva resume walking in the door compared to those scrambling with generic bachelor's degrees.

I would not recommend this.

A masters degree can hurt you when seeking teaching positions (you can thank the unions for that one) and a degree in journalism is not conducive to academia. Finally, teaching positions are really tight right now, especially in the liberal arts.

Tulsa_Fireman
12/19/2010, 04:16 PM
Yeah, because there's thousands of other jobs just jumping into her lap.

StoopTroup
12/19/2010, 04:27 PM
I would not recommend this.

A masters degree can hurt you when seeking teaching positions (you can thank the unions for that one) and a degree in journalism is not conducive to academia. Finally, teaching positions are really tight right now, especially in the liberal arts.

I don't think you understand....she wants a job....not your job.

She's even willing to work with some one like you for awhile. To me that shows she's willing to do what it takes for the Children.

proud gonzo
12/19/2010, 04:41 PM
Another thing on the colleges - I know one JMC masters grad that also became an adviser after getting their degree, so even if their PR jobs aren't there, there's likely other positions that you'd be qualified for, and as a recent grad, I'm sure they'd love you as a mentor for their kids.yeah, I'm applying for adviser positions

Try this.

Be a teacher! I've applied for teaching jobs too, even though I don't want to deal with that "no child left behind" crap. unfortunately, a lot of places have hiring freezes. I've looked at para-educator positions also. With a Masters degree you get better pay (sometimes better than teachers).

Okla-homey
12/19/2010, 04:45 PM
PG,
I know this prolly sounds sucky, but it a pretty good gig actually. At least to the extent it puts decent money in your pocket for not terribly demanding work, and you'll still have plenty of time to write and pursue other interests.

Here goes. I am quite certain there are substantial numbers of professional people in the Edmond/OKC/Norman corridor who need responsible, dependable in-their-home child care. My very own Blonde Daughter did that for young professorial couple her last two years of college.

They paid her $350.00 a week for two pre-school age kids, and she only had to come when scheduled and generally had at least three days in seven they didn't need her at all. But she got $350.00 regardless. See, people want to know they have a sure thing in that department. When she took the kids somewhere, they covered her gas, and she was not expected to keep the house clean, just to pick up after herself and the two kids.

I have no idea what the going rate in the 405 Area Code is, it might be more than $350.00 for two kids. But even if its only $350.00, that's still $1400.00. Not exactly tax-free, because its still income chargeable to you, but that's "deduction-free," because legally, you would be a contractor, not an employee.

Might be worth checking out. If you like kids. If not, skip it.

A Sooner in Texas
12/19/2010, 04:46 PM
PG, check into private schools as well if you're going the teaching route for the time being. Pay should be better and none of that No Child Left Behind crap.
Grant writing might be something else to look at. You'd likely have to take a class, but grant writers can make decent money and you'd be able to look at nonprofits, the university, and governmental entities.

soonercruiser
12/19/2010, 06:19 PM
PG,
Are you related to "Gonzo" from the OUInsider forum?

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 06:48 PM
PG, check into private schools as well if you're going the teaching route for the time being. Pay should be better and none of that No Child Left Behind crap.

Pay is typically lower at a private school. A lot lower. (I don't think NCLB has anything to do with the discussion.)

Grant writing might be something else to look at. You'd likely have to take a class, but grant writers can make decent money and you'd be able to look at nonprofits, the university, and governmental entities.

Grant writing is a good field, but she is some ways away from that right now. There is training available in this area for about $800 (full week). Try the Grantsmanship Center.

Grant writing is intense and pressure-packed. I don't recommend it for everyone. Still, a better option than teaching.

I don't think you understand....she wants a job....not your job.

Let me put this in words you can understand. SHE'S NOT GOING TO GET A JOB TEACHING.

No public school is going to hire someone without a teaching credential today, so she would have to invest a lot of time and money into prepping for a job that isn't even open. Her degree is in journalism, for crying out loud. They don't need communication/journalism teachers -- they need math and science teachers. Anyone going into the teaching field, especially in the liberal arts, is swimming upstream.

Private school? There aren't many and they're swamped with applicants. And a lot of those applicants really want to be teachers and are not seeking the job simply because there is nothing else out there.

If someone is having a hard time getting a job, what good is it to suggest looking in places where the prospects are even dimmer (or nonexistent)?

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 07:12 PM
By Gawd Yall quit arguing and listen up to leroid. He knows every thing and aint ever been wrong. Just axe him .;)

I Am Right
12/19/2010, 07:15 PM
you seem nice.

Why thank you.

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 09:11 PM
By Gawd Yall quit arguing and listen up to leroid. He knows every thing and aint ever been wrong. Just axe him .;)

Sorry, but when I see someone dishing out bad advice I'm going to say something. If that bothers you, **** you.

StoopTroup
12/19/2010, 09:28 PM
Leroid....

Last I checked not every Teacher I know that went and got a Teaching Certificate had a Master's Degree so I'll agree with you that it's not something you'll usually see. I'm sure your right....someone with a BS is probably more than qualified for a job like yours.

PG...quit being such a threat!

StoopTroup
12/19/2010, 09:31 PM
Sorry, but when I see someone dishing out bad advice I'm going to say something. If that bothers you, **** you.

You mean bad advice like don't waste your time trying to get a job teaching?

Yeah that bothers most of us when you give out bad advice.

proud gonzo
12/19/2010, 09:47 PM
PG,
Are you related to "Gonzo" from the OUInsider forum?
no.

Pay is typically lower at a private school. A lot lower. (I don't think NCLB has anything to do with the discussion.)

Grant writing is a good field, but she is some ways away from that right now. There is training available in this area for about $800 (full week). Try the Grantsmanship Center.

Grant writing is intense and pressure-packed. I don't recommend it for everyone. Still, a better option than teaching.

Let me put this in words you can understand. SHE'S NOT GOING TO GET A JOB TEACHING.

No public school is going to hire someone without a teaching credential today, so she would have to invest a lot of time and money into prepping for a job that isn't even open. Her degree is in journalism, for crying out loud. They don't need communication/journalism teachers -- they need math and science teachers. Anyone going into the teaching field, especially in the liberal arts, is swimming upstream.

Private school? There aren't many and they're swamped with applicants. And a lot of those applicants really want to be teachers and are not seeking the job simply because there is nothing else out there.

If someone is having a hard time getting a job, what good is it to suggest looking in places where the prospects are even dimmer (or nonexistent)?

Last I checked, you don't have a copy of my transcript or resume, so let me put this in words you can understand: **** off, dip****.

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 10:04 PM
Leroid....

Last I checked not every Teacher I know that went and got a Teaching Certificate had a Master's Degree so I'll agree with you that it's not something you'll usually see. I'm sure your right....someone with a BS is probably more than qualified for a job like yours.

PG...quit being such a threat!

Numbers is not the problem. Salaries are scaled according to educational background in public schools, so a person with a masters degree is going to cost the district thousands more per year. In these times schools are looking to fill vacancies as cheaply as possible.

The best route for teachers is to get a teaching position after they get a bachelors, then once they get tenure go after a masters degree. That way they can't fire you and they have to increase your pay. Get a masters degree first and you can shut yourself right out of a job.

Now having said that, there may be some districts that prefer the masters degree. Okay. But my point was simple: Having a masters degree does not necessarily increase your chances of getting a teaching job.

BTW, she has a masters and stated that she had applied for teaching positions but didn't get them.

Last I checked, you don't have a copy of my transcript or resume, so let me put this in words you can understand: **** off, dip****.

Are you certified to teach in the state of Oklahoma? Yes or no?

If not, you're going to need it, masters or no masters. You can get an emergency credential, but a lot of schools are no longer doing it because of NCLB's "highly-qualified" requirements. And the emergency credential is only valid temporarily. So sooner or later you are going to need a credential.

If you want to take their advice and **** away tons of time chasing after a teaching job with a masters in journalism, go for it. Don't let me stop you. You think I'm going to lose sleep over it?

Maybe if you had listened to others, no matter how caustic, you wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

StoopTroup
12/19/2010, 10:07 PM
Maybe if you had listened to others, no matter how caustic, you wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

That proves that you are a complete *******.

Nice Job.

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 10:07 PM
That proves that you are a complete *******.

Sorry, but she asked for it.

proud gonzo
12/19/2010, 10:08 PM
You're right. The crappy job market is ENTIRELY my fault. If only I'd followed advice from anonymous strangers!

StoopTroup
12/19/2010, 10:08 PM

No....she asked for help not advice not to try.

soonerinkaty
12/19/2010, 10:11 PM
Wait, PG is a female?

sperry
12/19/2010, 10:12 PM
PG,
I know this prolly sounds sucky, but it a pretty good gig actually. At least to the extent it puts decent money in your pocket for not terribly demanding work, and you'll still have plenty of time to write and pursue other interests.

Here goes. I am quite certain there are substantial numbers of professional people in the Edmond/OKC/Norman corridor who need responsible, dependable in-their-home child care. My very own Blonde Daughter did that for young professorial couple her last two years of college.

They paid her $350.00 a week for two pre-school age kids, and she only had to come when scheduled and generally had at least three days in seven they didn't need her at all. But she got $350.00 regardless. See, people want to know they have a sure thing in that department. When she took the kids somewhere, they covered her gas, and she was not expected to keep the house clean, just to pick up after herself and the two kids.

I have no idea what the going rate in the 405 Area Code is, it might be more than $350.00 for two kids. But even if its only $350.00, that's still $1400.00. Not exactly tax-free, because its still income chargeable to you, but that's "deduction-free," because legally, you would be a contractor, not an employee.

Might be worth checking out. If you like kids. If not, skip it.

$350 bucks a week does not sound very good at all for minimum of four days a week looking after pre-schoolers for 9 or 10 hours a day. That's barely minimum wage, and while it's not mentally demanding, it's still demanding, as pre-schoolers can't entertain themselves for long periods of time and have to be monitored the whole time.

Sooner_Bob
12/19/2010, 10:14 PM
If anything this is proof that certain degrees are in higher demand than others.

Health and medical field jobs should be at the top of college students lists IMO.

Okla-homey
12/19/2010, 10:16 PM
$350 bucks a week does not sound very good at all for minimum of four days a week looking after pre-schoolers for 9 or 10 hours a day. That's barely minimum wage, and while it's not mentally demanding, it's still demanding, as pre-schoolers can't entertain themselves for long periods of time and have to be monitored the whole time.

My kid said the kids napped for at least 2 hours of the 8 she typically watched them. And remember, $350.00 a week is way better than minimum wage. Because not one penny was deducted for FICA, taxes, or any of the rest of that crapola.

Okla-homey
12/19/2010, 10:18 PM
You're right. The crappy job market is ENTIRELY my fault. If only I'd followed advice from anonymous strangers!

yep PG, you really screwed up. You shoulda majored in cardiac surgery with a minor in orthopedics.;)

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 10:20 PM
No....she asked for help not advice not to try.

There is a misconception out there that a job seeker should just use a shotgun approach to applying for positions -- chase after everything and hope something sticks. All that will do is elevate frustration levels and waste time. Job seekers need to strategize.

That's why I said she should consider picking up a volunteer position as a journalist at a non-profit while working at any menial job she can find. That's strategizing. Chasing after nonexistent jobs is stupid, and suggesting that she try that approach isn't exactly doing her any favors.

She came in here looking for ideas. She is going to receive ideas all over the place. Some will be nice. Some will not (mine come to mind). But both are necessary; otherwise, all we are doing is blowing smoke up her ***.

A Sooner in Texas
12/19/2010, 10:21 PM

Silly me, I do always forget that Leroy is omniscient.

StoopTroup
12/19/2010, 10:27 PM
There is a misconception out there that a job seeker should just use a shotgun approach to applying for positions -- chase after everything and hope something sticks. All that will do is elevate frustration levels and waste time. Job seekers need to strategize.

That's why I said she should consider picking up a volunteer position as a journalist at a non-profit while working at any menial job she can find. That's strategizing. Chasing after nonexistent jobs is stupid, and suggesting that she try that approach isn't exactly doing her any favors.

She came in here looking for ideas. She is going to receive ideas all over the place. Some will be nice. Some will not (mine come to mind). But both are necessary; otherwise, all we are doing is blowing smoke up her ***.

If you get her a paying job by Friday I'll apologize.

A Sooner in Texas
12/19/2010, 10:30 PM

Leroy, I didn't think you could be anymore of an ******* than you've already shown us you are, but you've truly outdone yourself.

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 10:32 PM

Dayum limptard, here i was braggin on ya and ya go an get all mouthy :eek:

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 10:35 PM
If you get her a paying job by Friday I'll apologize.

You hiring her?

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 10:37 PM
Leroy, I didn't think you could be anymore of an ******* than you've already shown us you are, but you've truly outdone yourself.

Limptard knows every thing I tell ya. why you folks keep wanting to argue with him is beyond me. :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
12/19/2010, 10:39 PM
You hiring her?

I don't live in Norman or I would help a bit more than what I've been able to offer. She knows what she's doing BTW. I promise you...she doesn't need two words of your advice. She's gonna do just fine.

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 10:40 PM

Like I said, she can ignore everything I said. No one is putting a gun to her head. She may look at my advice on getting a volunteer position and, since I'm a mean guy, ignore it.

She can work at Wal-Mart for four years, and then try to get a job as a professional journalist. She can chase after teaching jobs to her heart's content. She can do all those things because some of the nice people in here said that they be good idea.

Four years from now she can come back in here and tell us how it all worked out.

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 10:43 PM
I don't live in Norman or I would help a bit more than what I've been able to offer. She knows what she's doing BTW. I promise you...she doesn't need two words of your advice. She's gonna do just fine.

I don't live in Norman either.

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 10:44 PM
Limptard, you aint a mean guy , Stupid? Hemroid type yes . Mean ? NO ;)

StoopTroup
12/19/2010, 10:44 PM
I don't live in Norman either.

Then like she said....**** Off Dip****!

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 10:48 PM
Then like she said....**** Off Dip****!

If she only wanted ideas from people living in Norman, she should have said so.

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 10:59 PM

Limptard. Have ya read her OP?
She simply stated that job hunting sucked, then asked if anyone in "NORMAN" needed a writer. She in no way ask for advice from you or any one else.
pay tention dumas:rolleyes:

A Sooner in Texas
12/19/2010, 11:01 PM
Like I said, she can ignore everything I said. No one is putting a gun to her head. She may look at my advice on getting a volunteer position and, since I'm a mean guy, ignore it.

She can work at Wal-Mart for four years, and then try to get a job as a professional journalist. She can chase after teaching jobs to her heart's content. She can do all those things because some of the nice people in here said that they be good idea.

Four years from now she can come back in here and tell us how it all worked out.

PG's a smart person and she will figure it out regardless of anything any one of us here tells her. Including you. Volunteer jobs are great for getting your foot in the door somewhere, but not so great for paying bills and putting food on your table. Perhaps those not-so-high-paying private school teaching gigs pay more than volunteer jobs. If I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll tell me.

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 11:02 PM
Just as a quick note: I said earlier she could seek an emergency credential in lieu of a teaching credential. I am fairly certain that in Oklahoma emergency credentials are requested by the district, not the applicant. So you can't just apply for an emergency credential and use it to shop for jobs.

EDIT: The only way I see a district going through the trouble to request an emergency credential is to fill a spot where there are few qualified applicants, or for a special case where a person's qualifications are exceptional. That doesn't apply here. Maybe it's different in OK but I doubt it.

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 11:08 PM
PG's a smart person and she will figure it out regardless of anything any one of us here tells her. Including you.

Then why worry about anything that I said?

BTW, I already stated that a teaching job at a private school is a possibility, but a very dim one for a person who majored in journalism. The problem with teaching is the workload is horrendous, so trying to shore up one's portfolio on the side is really hard. Of course, there are the summers, but those are shorter than most people think. It's very easy to get caught in a teaching job and be unable to get out.

Wait, that's not what everyone wants. Let me try it another way:

A TEACHING JOB AT A PRIVATE SCHOOL IS THE WAY TO GO, DUDE! GO FOR IT! YOU CAN'T GO WRONG THERE!

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 11:13 PM
And once again Leroid proves just how ****ing stupid he is .:rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 11:16 PM
And once again Leroid proves just how ****ing stupid he is .:rolleyes:

Stupid or not, I'm right.

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 11:18 PM
Stupid or not, I'm right.

Who gives a **** ya dumas. She NEVER ASKED FOR ANY ADVICE pay tention :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 11:27 PM
Who gives a **** ya dumas. She NEVER ASKED FOR ANY ADVICE pay tention :rolleyes:

You need to tell that to the other dozen posters who were dishing it out before I even entered the discussion. After all, I don't believe it was me that suggested she work at Wal-Mart or seek a teaching position.

Go see for yourself.

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 11:30 PM
You need to tell that to the other dozen posters who were dishing it out before I even entered the discussion. After all, I don't believe it was me that suggested she work at Wal-Mart or seek a teaching position.

Go see for yourself.

Hell ya dumas I told her to stand on a street corner. She knows I was joking. You on the other hand started telling everyone how wrong they were (go figure:rolleyes: )
Then Insisted on telling her what she should do and how to do it .

Oh and this was after you found out she was a Gurl . :D

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 11:38 PM
Hell ya dumas I told her to stand on a street corner. She knows I was joking. You on the other hand started telling everyone how wrong they were

Because they were.

So what's your beef?

olevetonahill
12/19/2010, 11:43 PM
Leroid Ima going to bed , But i dont want ya to be lonely so Ima leave ya something to argue with

http://www.downbeast.com/FencePost.jpg

Leroy Lizard
12/19/2010, 11:52 PM
Leroid Ima going to bed , But i dont want ya to be lonely so Ima leave ya something to argue with

http://www.downbeast.com/FencePost.jpg

Something smarter than you?

proud gonzo
12/19/2010, 11:58 PM

1. I WILL ignore everything you said, thanks.
2. I've volunteered my time and talents for many years and I'm done with that.
3. I don't want a job as a journalist and never have.
4. I'm not "chasing after" teaching jobs. I'm submitting applications for teaching jobs for which I am qualified--not because of the advice from people on this board but because I want to teach.

"Anybody in Norman need a writer?" I did NOT ask for your advice.

Leroy Lizard
12/20/2010, 12:09 AM
1. I WILL ignore everything you said, thanks.
2. I've volunteered my time and talents for many years and I'm done with that.
3. I don't want a job as a journalist and never have.
4. I'm not "chasing after" teaching jobs. I'm submitting applications for teaching jobs for which I am qualified--not because of the advice from people on this board but because I want to teach.

"Anybody in Norman need a writer?" I did NOT ask for your advice.

So how's it working out for you?

soonerhubs
12/20/2010, 07:16 AM
This is just another reason that Mr. "Compulsively argue with everything" should be ignored or banned. He's ruining threads like this.

Sooner_Bob
12/20/2010, 09:18 AM
This is just another reason that Mr. "Compulsively argue with everything" should be ignored or banned. He's ruining threads like this.

That may be true, but as I posted earlier kids should really consider what they can actually do with their degree before committing to it. We were all wide-eyed freshmen and thought we were on our way to being the next big thing. I think I changed majors 3 or 4 times before my 3rd semester. I don't mean to be cruel, but some degrees are ultimately not worth the paper they're printed on. My brother has a communications degree and has maybe worked 2 years in his field (if that) and has been out of college for almost 10 years.

Encourage your kids to get a degree that can just about guarantee them a decent livelihood.

Unless you've got connections some degrees can't earn you squat.

soonerhubs
12/20/2010, 09:27 AM
That may be true, but as I posted earlier kids should really consider what they can actually do with their degree before committing to it. We were all wide-eyed freshmen and thought we were on our way to being the next big thing. I think I changed majors 3 or 4 times before my 3rd semester. I don't mean to be cruel, but some degrees are ultimately not worth the paper they're printed on. My brother has a communications degree and has maybe worked 2 years in his field (if that) and has been out of college for almost 10 years.

Encourage your kids to get a degree that can just about guarantee them a decent livelihood.

That actually wasn't directed towards you, but since you brought it up, it sounds like a great thread to start versus a thread jack topic.

Sooner_Bob
12/20/2010, 09:31 AM
That actually wasn't directed towards you, but since you brought it up, it sounds like a great thread to start versus a thread jack topic.

I know . . . :D

yermom
12/20/2010, 09:36 AM
hey, the world needs ditch diggers too ;)

if everyone had to pick fields they knew would make money, there would be no artists. sure, kids should understand what they are getting into, but yeah, not everyone wants to be an engineer, etc...

Ike
12/20/2010, 09:55 AM
PG, one other option you might want to consider... if only for the purposes of making ends meet now while you search for a better job. You might consider going to one or more temp agencies. I don't know what the temp market is like in OK, but back when we were in IL, my wife did this for a time.

royalfan5
12/20/2010, 10:10 AM
PG, one other option you might want to consider... if only for the purposes of making ends meet now while you search for a better job. You might consider going to one or more temp agencies. I don't know what the temp market is like in OK, but back when we were in IL, my wife did this for a time.

I will second this. One my my old college roommates was able to parlay a temp job into a permanent job, and then multiple promotions the final one that actual put him in a position to use his hard to use degree. The other thing to expect is once you get a job, you will have a bunch of opportunities fall out the sky.

Ike
12/20/2010, 10:12 AM
I will second this. One my my old college roommates was able to parlay a temp job into a permanent job, and then multiple promotions the final one that actual put him in a position to use his hard to use degree. The other thing to expect is once you get a job, you will have a bunch of opportunities fall out the sky.

Yeah, thats sort of what happened with my wife. Her temp job led to a permanent job, which then later was a prime factor in another company seeking her out to do staffing and recruiting for a temp agency.

Sooner_Bob
12/20/2010, 10:18 AM
hey, the world needs ditch diggers too ;)

if everyone had to pick fields they knew would make money, there would be no artists. sure, kids should understand what they are getting into, but yeah, not everyone wants to be an engineer, etc...

Ditch digging is a great back-up plan . . . ;)

SanJoaquinSooner
12/20/2010, 10:33 AM

This could be a good suggestion.

One of my former students graduated with a GPA too low to be admitted into the teaching credential program, which was her goal. She went home to live with her parents and signed up with Kelly's Temp Services. She was sent to a semiconducter firm that manufactures chips. So she was working there doing low level secretarial tasks. But she made contacts who became aware that she was a college graduate. Within a few weeks she had a job there with a title of "engineer." She actually did quality control tasks.

Several years later, she's still in the industry but with a different company.

For some, it's about getting oneself in the position to interact for those who hire.

OutlandTrophy
12/20/2010, 10:34 AM
Best of luck PG, job hunting has to be the ****s.

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2010, 10:37 AM
A bit of advice from someone who was initially unemployed out of undergrad:

If you take a job out of a desire just to make sure you're keeping body and soul together, keep applying for jobs that you actually want. I spent 12 years in banking because the "best" job I could find after undergrad was as a loan officer. I didn't keep applying for the jobs I really wanted, and because I was good at banking got locked in to the escalating salaries while being miserable at work.

Keep at it. Something will come up. Just make sure that if you have to take a job you hate that you know you're not locked in to it forever.

badger
12/20/2010, 11:55 AM
Second, third, whatever... endorsement of the temp agency option s a temp employment option. They'll test how fast you can type, then send you to a big corporate office where the mail room attendants have fallen behind on their menial work and need help catching up. Then, you literally have your foot in the door :)

proud gonzo
12/20/2010, 01:55 PM
So how's it working out for you?
I have an amazing husband, a beautiful house, a loving family, and my bank account isn't empty yet. It's working out just fine.

I did consider my degree before committing to it. I've always been a great student. I could have gone into any field I wanted and had a full-ride to cover my education. I could have gone into engineering or architecture or medicine or law, but I decided not to. I did not go into this, as you seem to think, as a wide-eyed freshman thinking I would become the next J.K. Rowling overnight. I was fully aware from the beginning that there are fewer successful full-time writers than there are NBA players. I was told by many writers that if you would be happy doing anything other than being an artist, you should do that instead. I followed their advice. I'm an artist and I always will be. Not many people decide to follow that route because, as you said, it doesn't pay. But thank god not everyone in the world is like you or we'd have no Shakespeare, Monet, Van Gogh, Verdi, Arthur Miller, Stephen Sondheim, Edgar Allen Poe, Jane Austen, Beethoven, Andy Warhol, Tim Burton, or Monty Python. The world needs art, ESPECIALLY in times of economic strife and political turmoil.

My Opinion Matters
12/20/2010, 02:00 PM
The world would probably be better without Tim Burton. I agree with everything else you said.

sperry
12/20/2010, 02:10 PM

I put most of this on the school, and OU is terrible about it. Their career services department, if they even have one, doesn't even contact you. Not once in 5 years of undergrad was I contacted by anyone inquiring what I was planning to do after graduation, what type of work I hoped to do, whether I would like help with a resume, or interview practice or any of that. Luckily, I knew I was going to go to law school, but still.

They should be out there hustling to make sure their graduates can find gainful employment, or at least tell them how to go about looking for it. Yeah there is an issue of accountability, but honestly, we're talking about 20 year old kids who have no clue how to actually get a job.

Some programs at OU are better than others about this. Energy Management, for one, does a very good job of helping its students find employment. They get employers to come to campus, help people with interviews, and do stuff that a lot of kids don't know how to do.

At my law school, throughout spring of 1L year they were constantly contacting us about our resume, our summer employment search, practice interviews, etc. They have hundreds of law firms come to campus to interview students in the fall for positions, and have regional programs set up as well. They review your list of the firms you're hoping to bid for, and suggest changes you can make, and what firms are potentially too selective for you given your grades and credentials. For people that weren't able to get a job through on campus interviewing, the career services people are constantly bringing them in to suggest strategies for employment. Now, a lot of those people are probably screwed, because law school is a huge scam, but at least the school is fighting and trying to find them employment, even if it may be futile.

OU leaves students on its own, when they are just kids who have no clue what finding a job is all about.

Leroy Lizard
12/20/2010, 02:22 PM

This thread was jacked by people giving out scattershot advice based on a misunderstanding about the job market.

"Have you tried...?"

"I had a friend who..."

People are blasting me because I gave out advice when none was asked, but if you look back advice came in to the discussion long before I jumped in. They just didn't like my contributions because it was negative -- but you have to have negativity from time to time. (And who else better to provide it than me?)

This thread went south when the discussion turned to teaching. IMO, teaching is not a good option, and I know this field pretty well. Twenty years ago it would have been different.

I think the temp idea is a good one, but a few years of that on a resume probably would do more harm than good. Again, I would try to do something on the side that sounds loftier, even if it doesn't pay. But then again, the OP has already said she has no plans on doing any more of that, so that is that.

yermom
12/20/2010, 02:43 PM
I put most of this on the school, and OU is terrible about it. Their career services department, if they even have one, doesn't even contact you. Not once in 5 years of undergrad was I contacted by anyone inquiring what I was planning to do after graduation, what type of work I hoped to do, whether I would like help with a resume, or interview practice or any of that. Luckily, I knew I was going to go to law school, but still.

They should be out there hustling to make sure their graduates can find gainful employment, or at least tell them how to go about looking for it. Yeah there is an issue of accountability, but honestly, we're talking about 20 year old kids who have no clue how to actually get a job.

Some programs at OU are better than others about this. Energy Management, for one, does a very good job of helping its students find employment. They get employers to come to campus, help people with interviews, and do stuff that a lot of kids don't know how to do.

At my law school, throughout spring of 1L year they were constantly contacting us about our resume, our summer employment search, practice interviews, etc. They have hundreds of law firms come to campus to interview students in the fall for positions, and have regional programs set up as well. They review your list of the firms you're hoping to bid for, and suggest changes you can make, and what firms are potentially too selective for you given your grades and credentials. For people that weren't able to get a job through on campus interviewing, the career services people are constantly bringing them in to suggest strategies for employment. Now, a lot of those people are probably screwed, because law school is a huge scam, but at least the school is fighting and trying to find them employment, even if it may be futile.

OU leaves students on its own, when they are just kids who have no clue what finding a job is all about.

you have to pay to register with Career Services at OU

i think you getting a job is about the last thing OU cares about.

NormanPride
12/20/2010, 02:44 PM
They only care about you paying for your classes.

proud gonzo
12/20/2010, 03:01 PM
This thread went south when the discussion turned to teaching. Nope. It went south when you joined in.

proud gonzo
12/20/2010, 03:03 PM
you have to pay to register with Career Services at OU

i think you getting a job is about the last thing OU cares about.
I think it's free if you're a student. not sure about alumni.

NormanPride
12/20/2010, 03:03 PM
I hate it when people quote Leroy. Then I have to read his crap to get to the nice person's post.

PG, I wish I could help you, but all my advertising contacts are in the Tulsa area. I used to know some people on the Norman city council, but they were recently ousted in a non-happy way. :(

badger
12/20/2010, 03:08 PM
PG, can you post what types of jobs you've applied for to give us some ideas of what you're looking to do?

Mjcpr
12/20/2010, 03:33 PM
I have an amazing husband, a beautiful house, a loving family, and my bank account isn't empty yet. It's working out just fine.

I did consider my degree before committing to it. I've always been a great student. I could have gone into any field I wanted and had a full-ride to cover my education. I could have gone into engineering or architecture or medicine or law, but I decided not to. I did not go into this, as you seem to think, as a wide-eyed freshman thinking I would become the next J.K. Rowling overnight. I was fully aware from the beginning that there are fewer successful full-time writers than there are NBA players. I was told by many writers that if you would be happy doing anything other than being an artist, you should do that instead. I followed their advice. I'm an artist and I always will be. Not many people decide to follow that route because, as you said, it doesn't pay. But thank god not everyone in the world is like you or we'd have no Shakespeare, Monet, Van Gogh, Verdi, Arthur Miller, Stephen Sondheim, Edgar Allen Poe, Jane Austen, Beethoven, Andy Warhol, Tim Burton, or Monty Python. The world needs art, ESPECIALLY in times of economic strife and political turmoil.

And Bob Seger.

oumartin
12/20/2010, 03:40 PM
Less time whining and more time looking

Whet
12/20/2010, 04:10 PM
Another "starving artist?"

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2010, 05:04 PM

Jesus. Must be nice to have an OCI that actually places people out of state.

Pogue Mahone
12/20/2010, 05:51 PM
Here's the bad news: The market for writers has been bad for every minute of my 25 years in the field, and it always will be. That doesn't mean you have to wave a white flag. There are lots of options, and I'll go through a few.

Be open to copy editing. It's always been the path of least resistance to a good living in journalism. It'll also make you a better writer.

Freelance work works wonders. You'll get a foot in a door of, say, the Transcript or Oklahoman or anything, and your writing and dependability should lead to more work.

Use technology. Try indeed.com, RSS feeds, LinkedIn. Sure, a lot of it seems like wasted time, but you only need one thing to pay off. I got a great job through Indeed.

Let other people stop looking for writing jobs.

Good luck.

Leroy Lizard
12/20/2010, 06:03 PM
Use technology. Try indeed.com, RSS feeds, LinkedIn. Sure, a lot of it seems like wasted time, but you only need one thing to pay off. I got a great job through Indeed.

Also guru.com.

StoopTroup
12/20/2010, 08:56 PM
I hate it when people quote Leroy. Then I have to read his crap to get to the nice person's post.

PG, I wish I could help you, but all my advertising contacts are in the Tulsa area. I used to know some people on the Norman city council, but they were recently ousted in a non-happy way. :(

Did Badj put your sig line in there? ;)

StoopTroup
12/20/2010, 09:02 PM
PG....

I know you've volunteered in the past. I can understand why you might not feel like doing that right now. You need to take care of yourself before you start helping others again IMO. Have you let the folks you helped in the past know that you've gotten your Masters? Sometimes you'll find you have friends you didn't know you had. Write a letter letting them know what a terrific bunch they are and how you will have great memories of the times you volunteered in the past. Then mention you are looking for a paying gig writing. You just never know. Try everything. Don't feel bad about it either. You deserve a break just like the folks you helped needed one.

Sooner_Bob
12/20/2010, 09:59 PM
I did consider my degree before committing to it. I've always been a great student. I could have gone into any field I wanted and had a full-ride to cover my education.

I could have gone into engineering or architecture or medicine or law, but I decided not to. I did not go into this, as you seem to think, as a wide-eyed freshman thinking I would become the next J.K. Rowling overnight.

Again, no offense, but if you had a full-ride you really should've considered a different field.

I wasn't singling you out, I simply responded based on my own experience. You're fooling yourself if you honestly think you didn't have higher expectations for your degree/future employment early on. We all did. Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

But thank God not everyone in the world is like you or we'd have no Shakespeare, Monet, Van Gogh, Verdi, Arthur Miller, Stephen Sondheim, Edgar Allen Poe, Jane Austen, Beethoven, Andy Warhol, Tim Burton, or Monty Python. The world needs art, ESPECIALLY in times of economic strife and political turmoil.

Seriously? You take a shot at me because I give more weight to one degree over another? Where did I bash art?

You honestly think you needed a degree to express your creativity?

Whet
12/20/2010, 10:49 PM
This is just another case of dreamy, academia college-land meeting the real world.

GottaHavePride
12/20/2010, 10:53 PM
Heh. You all clearly haven't tried to get a job recently.

I started looking for a job back in May. I was even applying to wait tables. And you know what? I had waited tables before, for about 5 years. I was a damn good waiter, and I STILL couldn't get hired. Luckily, my former boss (NOT at a restaurant) happened to run into me one weekend and offered me my old job back in August. If that hadn't happened, I would probably still be broke and unemployed.

Whet
12/21/2010, 12:26 AM
I would think someone with an accounting, geology, engineering, or environmental degree would be more successful at finding a job, as compared to someone with a "feel good" degree, like Classic Literature, or Women's studies.

yermom
12/21/2010, 12:34 AM
you would think with one of those degrees you might learn how to read

ouwasp
12/21/2010, 12:40 AM
Uncle Sam is hiring...

John Kochtoston
12/21/2010, 01:51 AM
Jesus. Must be nice to have an OCI that actually places people out of state.

Well, Texas and Kansas City, at any rate.

Frozen Sooner
12/21/2010, 04:09 AM
Well, Texas and Kansas City, at any rate.

Again, must be nice.

Seriously, 1L OCI had no out of state firms at all. 2L OCI had like four or five from Atlanta and New Orleans, plus Weil Gotshal from Dallas--and Weil wasn't even a true OCI, just a resume drop.

OnlyOneOklahoma
12/21/2010, 06:11 AM

I started looking for a job back in May. I was even applying to wait tables. And you know what? I had waited tables before, for about 5 years. I was a damn good waiter, and I STILL couldn't get hired. Luckily, my former boss (NOT at a restaurant) happened to run into me one weekend and offered me my old job back in August. If that hadn't happened, I would probably still be broke and unemployed.

I got tired of my company because the benefits had gone to hell. I put up a resume on one company's website with my 20 months of professional experience and got a call back within a week. Two weeks later I had an offer in hand.

basically, my story counters yours. But I do hear that job hunting sucks for people with music degrees and many other liberal arts degrees.

Okla-homey
12/21/2010, 06:44 AM
One final thought PG. You're darn creative and have original thoughts. Start a blog. I've known a few folks who parlayed a popular blog into a journo gig.

OutlandTrophy
12/21/2010, 07:22 AM

what's your degree in?

I started a new job in October. I asked my counterpart at a competetor if they were hiring he arranged a lunch meeting with their ops manager and I was hired. It was pretty easy.

RacerX
12/21/2010, 07:59 AM
http://jobaps.com/ok/sup/BulPreview.asp?R1=101207&R2=E12A&R3=10

http://jobaps.com/ok/sup/BulPreview.asp?R1=101216&R2=E17A&R3=39

The first one is an APO I in Cleveland County. I'm guessing you've got something you can use for the 1 year of experience they're looking for (I remember that you've worked/interned etc.). APOs do a wide variety of work depending on what agency they're at. It's often used for jobs that don't fit other job descriptions.

The second one is an administrative assistant in Oklahoma County.

PM me if you have any questions about working for the state.

Sooner_Bob
12/21/2010, 08:43 AM
I understand that times are tough and finding a job is way different than it was after I graduated back in 1994. I was truly blessed to have received a scholarship with a job tied to it. I was out of school for almost 5 months before I actually started to work though. I found a job at a local hardware store and worked there for about 6 weeks. That was one of the funnest jobs I've ever had.

OnlyOneOklahoma
12/21/2010, 09:02 AM
Too bad that scholarship/job didn't mandate using words that actually exist.

I keed of course.

what was your scholarship and job? I have never heard of a company promising a high school student a full time job and then paying for schooling.

Harry Beanbag
12/21/2010, 09:27 AM
what was your scholarship and job? I have never heard of a company promising a high school student a full time job and then paying for schooling.

Big Red Sports & Imports?

Auburn University?

Ike
12/21/2010, 09:39 AM
what's your degree in?

I started a new job in October. I asked my counterpart at a competetor if they were hiring he arranged a lunch meeting with their ops manager and I was hired. It was pretty easy.

Thats just the thing though...from what I have heard, it's relatively easy right now to get a job if you already have a job. Much harder to get a job if you don't. The reason is that most employers tend to see people without a job as either desperate for anything, or not a good match, or both. It's kind of a modern day catch 22.

badger
12/21/2010, 10:26 AM

Let me guess - medical field. The army paid ex-Sooner star Caton Hill to become a doctor in return for her serving as an Army doctor for a few years, while I've heard of many students that go into nursing and have schooling paid for in return for working in the state of Oklahoma following graduation.

Sooner_Bob
12/21/2010, 11:29 AM
Too bad that scholarship/job didn't mandate using words that actually exist.

I keed of course.

Public Health . . . HHS has scholarships available for "hard to fill" fields that require a payback.

scotplum
12/21/2010, 12:23 PM
PG - Having been unemployed and looking since February, I can relate to your frustrations. Heck, I even have 10 years of professional experience (IT Systems Analyst) and while I seem to be able to get my foot in the door at quite a few places for interviews, I have not been able to land a position. The important thing is to not get too down about it or take rejection by potential employers personally and stay positive in your search. Eventually, your hard work will pay off. At least that is what I'm telling myself!

Leroy Lizard
12/21/2010, 01:08 PM
PG - Having been unemployed and looking since February, I can relate to your frustrations. Heck, I even have 10 years of professional experience (IT Systems Analyst) and while I seem to be able to get my foot in the door at quite a few places for interviews, I have not been able to land a position.

You need to have a friend who interviews staff interview you and give you feedback. You are likely flubbing somewhere in the interviewing process or not prepping well.

The red spek button is on the lower left.

Sooner_Bob
12/21/2010, 01:18 PM

:norm:

scotplum
12/21/2010, 01:25 PM
You need to have a friend who interviews staff interview you and give you feedback. You are likely flubbing somewhere in the interviewing process or not prepping well.

I'm sure you are likely spot on as it had been a long time since I had interviewed and even then it was for an internship while in college that led to a full time position 10 years ago (not counting an interview for an internal position a few years back). My interview experience was on the low side prior to this experience. My confidence in my interviewing abliities has certainly grown since the start of this process.

Also, I should have said I haven't had problems very recently getting interviews. I did struggle for a while.

C&CDean
12/21/2010, 02:02 PM
Do what I did. Join the Army. It's opened more doors than I can count. Of course those first few years are a bitch, but at least you've got medical for you and Opera Man, you'll get in top physical shape, and you'll learn all about killin' and ****.

WichitaSooner
12/21/2010, 02:47 PM
Look at the fools up in here arguing about **** they don't even know anything about... LOL.

I am a graduate of the University of Oklahoma Journalism School in the Professional Writing track...

I have been a Technical Writer essentially since I graduated... about 13 years now. And it's provided me a living most of the people on this thread that are hating could only hope for.

I was lucky enough to begin my career path while in Wichita Kansas at various aircraft companies. There I worked in tech writer departments of 70+ writers... For the last 7 years I have been the sole tech writer in either the whole building or for the entire company. I can pretty much write my own ticket.

GOOD tech writers are hard to find. And the companies that realize the value of a good tech writer to their company (and many times their bottom line) will pay the writer's weight in gold. And good tech writing isn't just about the writing... it's also about file and document organization and high attention to detail.

The best place I have seen is indeed.com for looking for available jobs. Search "Technical Writer" in Norman, OK and apply for every position you can. Make sure your resume is very clean and tight, as a writer's should be. Don't be detered, even if you don't have the experience. All you need to do is convince them you can write ANYTHING.

And when you get a tech writing job, become the expert for anything that can be put in any sort of documentation. Edit, proof, and create/enhance anything and everything for anybody you can. Any forms or documents being used in the company? Find a way to make them more efficient or user friendly. Take ownership of any documents you can and make them clean, correct, and more usable than they were when you started. Become the local go-to person for Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint etc.

Before long you are the "expert" and people will come to you first for anything document related. And just when you become someone the company won't want to lose, you will now have a resume that is loaded and the ability to start commanding a compensation package on your own terms... with your current company or a new suitor.

So, technical writing is most definitely a career path that will really take care of you. It has for me. And that's coming from someone that was nearly in your very same shoes 13 years ago... not some nutcase arguing with you and others in a thread that doesn't even concern them.

proud gonzo
12/21/2010, 02:59 PM
Do what I did. Join the Army. It's opened more doors than I can count. Of course those first few years are a bitch, but at least you've got medical for you and Opera Man, you'll get in top physical shape, and you'll learn all about killin' and ****.
i'm sure it would open lots of doors, but I really don't think that's the route for me.

Look at the fools up in here arguing about **** they don't even know anything about... LOL.

I am a graduate of the University of Oklahoma Journalism School in the Professional Writing track...

I have been a Technical Writer essentially since I graduated... about 13 years now. And it's provided me a living most of the people on this thread that are hating could only hope for.

I was lucky enough to begin my career path while in Wichita Kansas at various aircraft companies. There I worked in tech writer departments of 70+ writers... For the last 7 years I have been the sole tech writer in either the whole building or for the entire company. I can pretty much write my own ticket.

GOOD tech writers are hard to find. And the companies that realize the value of a good tech writer to their company (and many times their bottom line) will pay the writer's weight in gold. And good tech writing isn't just about the writing... it's also about file and document organization and high attention to detail.

The best place I have seen is indeed.com for looking for available jobs. Search "Technical Writer" in Norman, OK and apply for every position you can. Make sure your resume is very clean and tight, as a writer's should be. Don't be detered, even if you don't have the experience. All you need to do is convince them you can write ANYTHING.

And when you get a tech writing job, become the expert for anything that can be put in any sort of documentation. Edit, proof, and create/enhance anything and everything for anybody you can. Any forms or documents being used in the company? Find a way to make them more efficient or user friendly. Take ownership of any documents you can and make them clean, correct, and more usable than they were when you started. Become the local go-to person for Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint etc.

Before long you are the "expert" and people will come to you first for anything document related. And just when you become someone the company won't want to lose, you will now have a resume that is loaded and the ability to start commanding a compensation package on your own terms... with your current company or a new suitor.

So, technical writing is most definitely a career path that will really take care of you. It has for me. And that's coming from someone that was nearly in your very same shoes 13 years ago... not some nutcase arguing with you and others in a thread that doesn't even concern them.
I appreciate it.
My parents live in Wichita and my dad works in the aircraft industry, so I've thought about that route (even though the aircraft industry is struggling right now). If my husband ends up not doing the doctoral program at OU, I will look into relocating back to Wichita. I'm definitely looking for technical writing positions here, though. Thanks for the advice.

Leroy Lizard
12/21/2010, 03:00 PM

Best post in the thread.

(Well, except for that nutcase comment.) :D

3rdgensooner
12/21/2010, 03:20 PM

So, technical writing is most definitely a career path that will really take care of you. It has for me. And that's coming from someone that was nearly in your very same shoes 13 years ago... not some nutcase arguing with you and others in a thread that doesn't even concern them.You misspelled a word.

WichitaSooner
12/21/2010, 03:23 PM
You misspelled a word.

why are you such a fun jew????

Occasionally I spell a word wrong JUST to see how it feels.... I'm the most interesting tech writer in the world.

:D

texaspokieokie
12/21/2010, 03:29 PM
i did some tech writing for Lockheed, back in the 60s.

wrote service bulletins for f-104s & p-3s.
air force & navy.

btk108
12/21/2010, 03:32 PM
i did some tech writing for Lockheed, back in the 60s.

wrote service bulletins for f-104s & p-3s.
air force & navy.

Did the propellors still work by rubberband back then?

texaspokieokie
12/21/2010, 03:42 PM
i think they did on the P-3s, for some reason, 104s didn't have props.

A Sooner in Texas
12/21/2010, 07:17 PM
You misspelled a word.

I saw it too!!!!:D So since you put it in there, WichitaSooner, which one was it?

yermom
12/21/2010, 07:37 PM
so much for attention to detal

olevetonahill
12/21/2010, 11:31 PM
I saw it too!!!!:D So since you put it in there, WichitaSooner, which one was it?

Actually there's 2 mistakes. Not that i give a **** :D

soonerinkaty
12/21/2010, 11:38 PM

Ha. Look who show'd em up! You got your thinkin' cap on today.

olevetonahill
12/21/2010, 11:44 PM
Ha. Look who show'd em up! You got your thinkin' cap on today.

Aint durnk ;)

GottaHavePride
12/21/2010, 11:46 PM
what's your degree in?

I have three degrees. All music.

But see, the thing is that I couldn't even get freakin' Chili's to call me back, despite five years of table-waiting experience, and knowing how to interview (from having been on the other end of things).

Leroy Lizard
12/21/2010, 11:48 PM
Two mistakes? Try about 40. (But this is an Internet message board, so I doubt he was really trying.)

soonerinkaty
12/21/2010, 11:52 PM
Two mistakes? Try about 40. (But this is an Internet message board, so I doubt he was really trying.)

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

Leroy Lizard
12/22/2010, 12:07 AM
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

Oooh! Oooh! All-caps. You lose 10 points.

soonerinkaty
12/22/2010, 12:10 AM
God damned MLA format!

WichitaSooner
12/22/2010, 10:40 AM
If you ****ers want mistake-free, pristine work from me you have to pay me.

olevetonahill
12/22/2010, 10:43 AM

If you ****ers want mistake-free, pristine work from me you have to pay me.

Did you not see where i said "Not that I give a ****" ?:pop:

3rdgensooner
12/22/2010, 10:44 AM
If you ****ers want mistake-free, pristine work from me you have to pay me.I'm out.

StoopTroup
12/22/2010, 11:15 AM

I'm pretty sure most folks know where the button is....you've got 12,000 of them at least

Sooner_Bob
12/22/2010, 12:49 PM
Oooh! Oooh! All-caps. You lose 10 points.

Come on . . . the use of all-caps is creative and under appreciated.

I Am Right
12/22/2010, 04:02 PM
receive 36 months of unemployment, then sue, it is the American Way!

OutlandTrophy
12/23/2010, 04:37 AM
I have three degrees. All music.

But see, the thing is that I couldn't even get freakin' Chili's to call me back, despite five years of table-waiting experience, and knowing how to interview (from having been on the other end of things).

you kids are going to have to quit majoring in hobbies!

best of luck on your job search!

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 05:38 AM
you kids are going to have to quit majoring in hobbies!

best of luck on your job search!

There's nothing wrong with majoring in music as long as you completely immerse yourself in your studies and network very early on. Also I suggest choosing a minor very carefully because the minor may be what lands you the job. Too often students minor in a field too closely related to their major. Also I suggest choosing a minor that is viewed as rigorous, such as math, science, or English.

olevetonahill
12/23/2010, 07:30 AM
There's nothing wrong with majoring in music as long as you completely immerse yourself in your studies and network very early on. Also I suggest choosing a minor very carefully because the minor may be what lands you the job. Too often students minor in a field too closely related to their major. Also I suggest choosing a minor that is viewed as rigorous, such as math, science, or English.

So Leroid did you Major or minor in Dooshology?

yermom
12/23/2010, 11:47 AM
So Leroid did you Major or minor in Dooshology?

that's just his hobby :D

OutlandTrophy
12/23/2010, 12:09 PM
My little cousin married a guy that graduated from Julliard with a degree in Opera. I don't think he has his doctorate but he does have a Masters. He's sang or been on tour with Pavorotti(sp?) and some other big names.

He's a real estate agent.

12/23/2010, 12:35 PM
My little cousin married a guy that graduated from Julliard with a degree in Opera. I don't think he has his doctorate but he does have a Masters. He's sang or been on tour with Pavorotti(sp?) and some other big names.

He's a real estate agent.If your client likes the home you're showing, you can put them over the line by singing with great gusto, something like William Tell or The Snow Maiden.

I Am Right
12/23/2010, 02:16 PM
You could get a Pschology degree and then work at the mall.

scotplum
12/23/2010, 03:09 PM
Well, after approximately 11 months, my job search finally has come to an end today! Needless to say, I am excited.

Leroy Lizard
12/23/2010, 03:15 PM
Well, after approximately 11 months, my job search finally has come to an end today!

You decided to not even bother looking anymore. Excellent, dude!

I Am Right
12/23/2010, 06:17 PM
Well, after approximately 11 months, my job search finally has come to an end today! Needless to say, I am excited.

Congrats.

Norm In Norman
12/23/2010, 11:43 PM
What a crappy thread this ended up being! Well, i stopped reading after a few pages.

Mrs. Norm worked as a secretary for about 6 years before a teaching gig fell into her lap. Try getting on at the University doing something like that then lie in wait until the right thing comes around.

SoonerBorn68
12/23/2010, 11:47 PM
Bruce?

PG, have you considered the oilfield? There's a lot of field jobs available & it's steady work. You could live in Norman and travel like I do. Just a thought. While I was attending my company's training school there were at least 50 new hires attending orientation.

StoopTroup
12/23/2010, 11:53 PM
What a crappy thread this ended up being! Well, i stopped reading after a few pages.

Mrs. Norm worked as a secretary for about 6 years before a teaching gig fell into her lap. Try getting on at the University doing something like that then lie in wait until the right thing comes around.

Yeah...some folks just aren't very Christmasey.....

I think she was venting and then a good amount of us decided to throw some ideas around and then an expert on how to get Stephen Hawkings back in Pro Football shape basically told her to give up on her dreams and just lock herself in the basement and set herself afire for not being proactive during College. Another wants her to Baby sit and he doesn't even have any young kids....I don't know what that's all about. :D ;)

PG is gonna do fine.

Not all Operas are tragedies. :D

StoopTroup
12/23/2010, 11:56 PM
Bruce?

PG, have you considered the oilfield? There's a lot of field jobs available & it's steady work. You could live in Norman and travel like I do. Just a thought. While I was attending my company's training school there were at least 50 new hires attending orientation.

I'm about to have to change careers soon maybe. Where do I send my resume?

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2010, 12:13 AM
I'm about to have to change careers soon maybe. Where do I send my resume?

Look, everyone! StoopTroup got fired!

Just kidding, StoopTroup.

SoonerBorn68
12/24/2010, 12:15 AM
check ur spek

StoopTroup
12/24/2010, 12:17 AM
Look, everyone! StoopTroup got fired!

Just kidding, StoopTroup.

I get tired of the same old blood and guts approach to my job after 22 years so I'm thinking of retiring the old knives and settling back into the numbers racket again. Plus the white coats really are over starched and it chafes my neck.

http://www.marel.com/resources/Images/Case-Studies/flowlinebeef-ai.jpg