PDA

View Full Version : Jason White will co-own Bricktown Brawlers football team

bmjlr
12/17/2010, 02:00 PM
Former OU QB Jason White will co-own Bricktown Brawlers football team

BY RYAN ABER, Staff Writer, [email protected] Oklahoman 7
Published: December 16, 2010

Dale Morris might've spent most of his years in Texas, but the Bricktown Brawlers owner has been a lifelong OU fan.

Bricktown Brawlers co-owners Jason White and Dale Morris talk about the upcoming season, during a press conference in downtown Oklahoma City, OK, Thursday, Dec. 16, 2010. By Paul Hellstern, The Oklahoman

MultimediaPhotoview all photos
Former OU QB Jason White will co-own Bricktown Brawlers football team And when he decided to bring an Indoor Football League team to Oklahoma City, he made it a point that the team would try to build a strong connection with the surrounding area.

So shortly after announcing the team's arrival in November, Morris called former Sooners quarterback Jason White to gauge his interest in being involved with the team.

Thursday, White was introduced as a Brawlers co-owner during a press conference at the downtown Courtyard Marriott.

“It's always been something I've thought about but wasn't sure if it could really happen,” White said.

Neither Morris nor White would say how big White's stake in the team was, but Morris is excited to have the Heisman Trophy winner aboard.

“Really, what intrigued me the most about Jason is his down-home sensibilities and his constant presence in the community,” Morris said. “This is going to be a great fit for us.”

The Brawlers begin their inaugural season at West Texas, another team owned by Morris, on Feb. 21. They make their home debut March 6 against the Allen Wranglers.

Thursday, Morris said the team would compete for a championship every year and assured the team would make the playoffs the upcoming season.

Morris said, jokingly, that he tried to recruit White as the team's quarterback.

“I told him if he could guarantee me, as he did earlier with the playoffs, that I wouldn't get hit, I'd do it,” White said.

White, who said he attended several Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz games, said there would be quality players on the Brawlers' roster.

“These are some of the guys that have slipped through the cracks for whatever reason,” White said. “This is a chance for them to make their mark and get noticed.”

The team also announced the signing of two players, both former Yard Dawgz. Defensive lineman Steve Coleman, a former Sooner, and offensive lineman Kevin Myers have signed with the team.

Brawlers coach Steve Perdue said the team will announce several other signings next week. IFL teams carry 20 active players and four reserves.

The team is holding open tryouts at 8 a.m. Saturday at the Cox Center. Pre-registration is $50 and registration at the event is $60. Call 602-5111 for more details.

Read more: http://newsok.com/former-ou-qb-jason-white-will-co-own-bricktown-brawlers-football-team/article/3524289#ixzz18OfvTNr1

Way to go Jason and good luck!

85sooners
12/17/2010, 02:46 PM
:pop:

TUSooner
12/17/2010, 02:57 PM
“Really, what intrigued me the most about Jason is his down-home sensibilities and his constant presence in the community,” Morris said. “This is going to be a great fit for us.”

Translation: Jason doesn't really know jack **** about the team or the business, but he's a great guy and good face for the team, and he'll pretty-much go along with whatever I say we need to do.

stoopified
12/17/2010, 03:06 PM
IN-door Football League?Is this like Arena ninor league?

WichitaSooner
12/17/2010, 03:26 PM
The Brawlers begin their inaugural season at West Texas, another team owned by Morris, on Feb. 21. They make their home debut March 6 against the Allen Wranglers.

Thursday, Morris said the team would compete for a championship every year and assured the team would make the playoffs the upcoming season.

So did this clown say the same thing about his team at "West Texas?"

This has FAIL written all over it.... And I really hope Jason didn't get talked into too much money for this deal....

sperry
12/17/2010, 03:29 PM
How many of these leagues have to go under before people realize it's not a good investment? Are these people thinking "I know the last 7 arena teams in OKC have folded, as well as every American football league aside from the NFL, but this time it's gonna work!"

If you have $2 million bucks, or whatever one of these franchises cost, I have a better opportunity for you. Give me a million, and keep the other half for yourself, and you'll be a million dollars better off than you would be investing in a minor-league sideshow football team.

I always feel bad for the ex-football players blindly throwing money into things like this trying to make a quick buck.

sooner_born_1960
12/17/2010, 03:33 PM
I don't think Jason invested anything more than a face and a little time.

SoonerPr8r
12/17/2010, 03:43 PM
The team is holding open tryouts at 8 a.m. Saturday at the Cox Center. Pre-registration is $50 and registration at the event is $60.

So.....who's going to the tryouts?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2010, 04:01 PM
expect an announcement soon naming me quarterback

Sooner_Bob
12/17/2010, 04:18 PM
expect an announcement soon naming me quarterback

I wanna try out for tight end.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2010, 04:33 PM
Mongo is going to be a coach and he says no tight ends while he is around