PDA

View Full Version : The Big Tenelevenwelve figures out it sucks at naming things.

Fraggle145
12/17/2010, 01:56 PM
Heh. :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5930029

Big Ten may rethink Legends, Leaders

CHICAGO -- Jim Delany has spent more than two decades as commissioner of the Big Ten, overseeing two conference expansions and the formation of the Big Ten Network.

None of it prepared him for the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the conference's new division names.

Delany said during an interview with WGN AM-720 in Chicago on Thursday that the names Legends and Leaders were picked to highlight the conference's rich history, and that "to a great extent it's fallen on deaf ears." Many fans have instead mocked the names and asked officials to reconsider, which Delany said could happen after the first of the year.

"I think we have enough experience with names, and expansion and development of divisions, to know that you never, rarely, get 90 percent approval rating," Delany said during the interview. "But to get a 90 percent non-approval rating was, you know, really surprising."

The league will be split into two divisions beginning next season, when Nebraska becomes the 12th member. The Huskers will be joined by Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota and Iowa in the Legends Division. Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin will comprise the Leaders Division.

At least, assuming those are still the names by then.

"We want to breathe a little bit," Delany said. "I don't think you make a judgment in 48 hours or 72 hours. Eventually we're going to have to address the issue of whether or not it's sustainable, but I don't think that's an issue for today."

Delany said the conference chose the divisions based on parity, rather than geography, which made naming them East-West or North-South impractical. The Big Ten also considered using names of historic players or coaches, but Delany said that would have been "too limiting."

The commissioner also said there was little consideration given to changing the conference name from the Big Ten, unlike in 1990, when Penn State became the 11th member.

Delany said university faculty, presidents and alumni supported keeping "Big Ten" and that it represents a brand rather than the number of institutions. The name change also would have affected the branding of the Big Ten Network, which launched in 2007.

"It's humbling, to say the least, because we're trying to build fan bases, not push them away," Delany said of the uproar caused by the new division names. "I was surprised. I've been around this business a long time, and it's one of the more surprising things."

rainiersooner
12/17/2010, 02:06 PM
Worst name I've ever heard.

Aldebaran
12/17/2010, 02:14 PM
They should have asked the Movementarians to help build support.

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Leader!

badger
12/17/2010, 02:15 PM
The logo sucks too. Redo the logo as well as the names.

Brilliant idea: Name the conference and/or divisions after the great lakes. The great lakes are the most visible thing in your area of the country and the only reason anyone notices the state of Michigan from space.

85sooners
12/17/2010, 02:43 PM
:cool:

TUSooner
12/17/2010, 02:52 PM
Has anyone suggested that they call them the
Overrated Division and the Underachieving Division?

Sorry I missed the previous thread, so I don't know.

SoonerMarkVA
12/17/2010, 02:58 PM
How about "Dumb" and "Dumber"?

badger
12/17/2010, 03:11 PM
Seriously, get a trademark now - GREAT LAKES CONFERENCE.

As for divisions, is "east" and "west" such a bad thing, when some teams are on the eastern side of the conference and some teams are on the western side? Yeah, there's some crossover in the middle, but eff it, the confernece with Nebrasky can be west, and the conference with JoePa can be east.

rekamrettuB
12/17/2010, 03:52 PM
"I think we have enough experience with names, and expansion and development of divisions, to know that you never, rarely, get 90 percent approval rating," Delany said during the interview. "But to get a 90 percent non-approval rating was, you know, really surprising."

Surprising? Really? You named them Legends and Leaders. What the hell does that even mean?

Aldebaran
12/17/2010, 04:10 PM
My guess: After Delany suggested Legends and Leaders, group think dominated the committee meeting.

fadada1
12/17/2010, 04:23 PM
that's what you get when you lose touch with reality. pay 'tention to the people... idiots.

fadada1
12/17/2010, 04:25 PM
oh, and lets hope they haven't already sent that stuff out to the printers. that would be, as they say in the business, bad.

picasso
12/17/2010, 04:26 PM
Big and Slow?

Breadburner
12/17/2010, 04:28 PM
Legends and leaders sounds like some kinda Senior NAPCAR tour......!!!!

badger
12/17/2010, 04:44 PM
Hmmm... ideas... ideas...

Lewis and Clark divisions: Named after the explorers trying to find an all-water route to the pacific? They traveled through Big Ten country to start off with before boating west to the Pac 10 :D

First and Ten divisions: A play on words named after the most common starting offensive situation for teams.

Legends and leaders divisions: A really bad idea thought up by an uncreative person that should be fired immediately.

East and west divisions: The easiest, most straight-forward answer, so of course it gets declined.

Magna and Summa divisons: A name befitting of all of the AAU members in the Big Ten, but sure to start protests on who gets to be Summa and who gets stuck with Manga

Soonerwake
12/17/2010, 04:45 PM
How about "Jim" and "Delaney"?

yermom
12/17/2010, 04:45 PM
i'm liking "underachievers" and "overrated" :D

oudivesherpa
12/17/2010, 05:03 PM
Maybe the should follow the SEC and follow Cam's lead and call their two divisons: Cash and Credit.

badger
12/17/2010, 05:06 PM
In tribute to their style of play and the recent uprise in MMA popularity - GROUND and POUND

silverwheels
12/17/2010, 05:13 PM
West Division:

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

East Division:

Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue

Again, taking current or former statuses of programs and trying to even out the divisions by "power" or "prestige" is stupid. They need to go all the way back to the beginning and change things from there.

3rdgensooner
12/17/2010, 05:23 PM
Someone suggested the animal mascot and non-animal mascot divisions.

meandmybutt
12/17/2010, 05:31 PM
Has anyone suggested that they call them the
Overrated Division and the Underachieving Division?
Sorry I missed the previous thread, so I don't know.

That's some good stuff there.

SoonerinLondon
12/17/2010, 06:28 PM
Dips and Sh!ts.

rekamrettuB
12/17/2010, 08:38 PM
West Division:

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

East Division:

Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue

Again, taking current or former statuses of programs and trying to even out the divisions by "power" or "prestige" is stupid. They need to go all the way back to the beginning and change things from there.

Ya but you know they want Ohio State/Michigan in different divisions for a big time Big X championship game. Kind of like Florida State and Miami in the ACC. How many times have they met in the championship game again?

silverwheels
12/17/2010, 08:53 PM
Ya but you know they want Ohio State/Michigan in different divisions for a big time Big X championship game. Kind of like Florida State and Miami in the ACC. How many times have they met in the championship game again?

As many times as I have shed a tear over the pile of crap that was Texas' 2010 season.

SoonerBread
12/17/2010, 08:58 PM
Sh!ts and Giggles divisions...

BulverdeSooner
12/17/2010, 10:06 PM
'Has Beens' & 'Wanna Be's'
Pancho & Lefty?

Who really cares, it's the big 10 -- 2 yards & a cloud of dust

yermom
12/18/2010, 03:01 AM

they are still going to play every year

dynersooner
12/18/2010, 09:16 AM
West Division:

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

East Division:

Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue

i mean rly, is that so friggen hard?

fadada1
12/18/2010, 10:30 AM
F-ing Cold Division & REALLY F-ing Cold Division

OUHOMER
12/18/2010, 11:33 AM
you would have thought they would have had a marketing group test this before they threw this out..

MamaMia
12/18/2010, 12:02 PM
Legends would have to change the name of their restaurant. :eek:
Thats just wrong on so many levels. :(

budbarrybob
12/18/2010, 01:09 PM
you would have thought they would have had a marketing group test this before they threw this out..

^^^ This. Or coulda just taken an improptu poll at the local sports bar.

Widescreen
12/18/2010, 01:38 PM
West Division:

Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Wisconsin

East Division:

Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue

They won't do that. They announced their division members months ago. The only thing they might do at this point is rename the divisions.

silverwheels
12/18/2010, 01:56 PM
They won't do that. They announced their division members months ago. The only thing they might do at this point is rename the divisions.

I know. That's why I said they need to go all the way back to the beginning. I know that they're only going to change the division names, but it's hard to come up with good division names when the geography of them is screwed up.

bent rider
12/18/2010, 05:02 PM

What they need to do is have the marketing group sell the naming rights.

Tastes Great Division, Less Filling Division
Original Recipe Division, Extra Crispy Division
Hot, Spicy
Pork, Beef
Chevy, Buick
Ale, Pilsner
Quarter-Pounder, Whopper with Cheese

yankee
12/18/2010, 05:04 PM
the fact that this came as a surprise to him just shows you how clueless most higher-ups are when it comes to anything related to college football.