PDA

View Full Version : If LJ wins this bowl game....

Soonermagik
12/17/2010, 07:45 AM
If Landry Jones can win this bowl game he will be undefeated in bowl games. This is somethig a lot of our past sooner players can't say. With a win against Uconn all the haters will have to stop with their can't win a bowl game talk. This has been a huge hang-up with the legacy of Stoops. Not to mention, that would have this program on a 2-0 bowl game streak.

This win could give this team a lot of confidence next season if they get to a NC game next year. I've said this before, but this BCS win is a must get for this program. It's as big as Ohio State needing to beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl last year to get the BCS monkey off their back. Granted Oregon is a better win, but a BCS win against anyone is huge.

King Barry's Back
12/17/2010, 08:11 AM
If Landry Jones can win this bowl game he will be undefeated in bowl games. This is somethig a lot of our past sooner players can't say. With a win against Uconn all the haters will have to stop with their can't win a bowl game talk. This has been a huge hang-up with the legacy of Stoops. Not to mention, that would have this program on a 2-0 bowl game streak.

This win could give this team a lot of confidence next season if they get to a NC game next year. I've said this before, but this BCS win is a must get for this program. It's as big as Ohio State needing to beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl last year to get the BCS monkey off their back. Granted Oregon is a better win, but a BCS win against anyone is huge.

Hmmm, that class that came through 1995 to 1998 could all brag that they were undefeated in bowls, too, but nobody congratulated them.

landrun
12/17/2010, 09:06 AM
Hmmm, that class that came through 1995 to 1998 could all brag that they were undefeated in bowls, too, but nobody congratulated them.

Are you being serious? Sounds like you're suggesting Magik's point isn't valid and I think it is spot on. To compare OU now to Blake's teams is off base. These guys are to be congratulated if they win this Bowl game. And we should all tip our hats to Landry too.

olevetonahill
12/17/2010, 09:14 AM
Are you being serious? Sounds like you're suggesting Magik's point isn't valid and I think it is spot on. To compare OU now to Blake's teams is off base. These guys are to be congratulated if they win this Bowl game. And we should all tip our hats to Landry too.

Duck, here comes a whole flock of em .:rolleyes:

OUmillenium
12/17/2010, 09:24 AM
Who was the last OU QB to play in more than 1 bowl and have an undefeated bowl record? I will take the answer off the air. I know the answer just waiting for you guys...

RahOkU
12/17/2010, 09:25 AM
Good point.

How many bowl games has any single Sooner QB won in the Stoops era? LJ would be the first to have 2 with a win over UConn.......

rekamrettuB
12/17/2010, 09:26 AM
Who was the last OU QB to play in more than 1 bowl and have an undefeated bowl record? I will take the answer off the air. I know the answer just waiting for you guys...

Nate Hybl

SoonerAtKU
12/17/2010, 09:38 AM
Well, technically, he can say that NOW. Nate Hybl was also undefeated as a starter, unless we're counting '99 when he didn't play. If we're counting that, then Landry isn't undefeated, since he was on the team in '08.

Now THAT is how you split a hair, folks.

SOFSooner
12/17/2010, 09:42 AM
Was the last quarterback to go undefeated in bowl games Nate Hybl? Cotton Bowl against Arkansas and the Rose Bowl against Washington State.

mgsooner
12/17/2010, 09:42 AM
Somehow I doubt that a win over mighty UCONN is going to have the "haters" singing Landry's praises and proclaiming that the Stoops bowl jinx is dead.

Soonersince57
12/17/2010, 09:47 AM
We can't worry about the haters. And I don't buy the "no-win" scenario of beating UConn. You go to a bowl and win. Circumstances are out of your control as far as who the opponent is. You win, you have a 2-game bowl streak, a 12-win season, Big XII champs and possibly a top 5 finish going into next year. The haters are irrelevant.

SoonerNutt
12/17/2010, 09:53 AM
Somehow I doubt that a win over mighty UCONN is going to have the "haters" singing Landry's praises and proclaiming that the Stoops bowl jinx is dead.

Exactly. We are like a 17 point favorite.

The haters aren't going to stop hating just because we beat a team that nobody ever heard of. There is not much respect to be gained from winning this game, even if we hammer them.

But, the cost of losing a game like this is high. I hope we come out with a chip on our shoulder and take it to them.

I expect Landry to perform well in this game, but others need to as well if we are to win. He is a good QB who has grown leaps and bounds from last September. It's been fun watching him evolve as a leader and a player. I expect that improvement to pay big, big dividends next year.

rekamrettuB
12/17/2010, 09:57 AM

Beating Baylor on the road gave the team some confidence heading to Stillwater and Arlington. Ya it was just Baylor and the haters were saying just that but you get confidence running through the teams minds like the "road woes" were cured. Same thing with this BCS bowl.

Okie35
12/17/2010, 09:59 AM

The haters aren't going to stop hating just because we beat a team that nobody ever heard of. There is not much respect to be gained from winning this game, even if we hammer them.

But, the cost of losing a game like this is high. I hope we come out with a chip on our shoulder and take it to them.

I expect Landry to perform well in this game, but others need to as well if we are to win. He is a good QB who has grom leaps and bounds from last September. It's been fun watching him evolve as a leader and a player. I expect that improvement to pay big, big dividends next year.

We'll win I just want to know how much stuff they'll throw at us. They'll probably run a lot of trick plays.

85sooners
12/17/2010, 10:04 AM
Ou will pound these phuckers!!!!

kevpks
12/17/2010, 10:06 AM
I want to see that hideous trophy in the Switzer Center more than anything right now. Light 'em up Landry!

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9777/fiestay.jpg

Whet
12/17/2010, 10:10 AM
Ou will pound these phuckers!!!!

I thought they were the Huskies?
http://rochester.metromix.com/content_image/full/1051720/560/370

http://www.petside.com/2009/03/18/UConn%20Husky.jpg

But, after seeing pictures of their mascot, I could see the confusion!!:P

mgsooner
12/17/2010, 10:10 AM
The trophy looks like the wrapping on a chocolate Easter bunny.

SunnySooner
12/17/2010, 10:18 AM
I want to see that hideous trophy in the Switzer Center more than anything right now. Light 'em up Landry!

Good Lowered, that thing looks like Elvis and Liberace got drunk with a box full of parts and a glue gun.

But I'll take it!!!! ;) :D

rekamrettuB
12/17/2010, 12:20 PM
Last OU starting QB to win 3 bowl games in a row???

I think I know the answer. Highlight below for what I think:

Landry Jones would be the 1st

oudavid1
12/17/2010, 12:22 PM
Even if Landry throws 3 picks, i will still be so excited to watch him play down the road. Couldn't be more excited for what 12 brings to the table.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/17/2010, 12:26 PM
Are you being serious? Sounds like you're suggesting Magik's point isn't valid and I think it is spot on. To compare OU now to Blake's teams is off base. These guys are to be congratulated if they win this Bowl game. And we should all tip our hats to Landry too.KBB's point is well taken, though, even if a bit tongue-in-cheek. The 7-5 season last year was un-Boblike.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/17/2010, 12:38 PM

But, after seeing pictures of their mascot, I could see the confusion!!:POne could make a case for that thing being an African Mole-rat.

I Am Right
12/17/2010, 01:03 PM

If OU wins bowl game it will not stop the OU haters from their talk about our bowl game record

FirstandGoal
12/17/2010, 01:07 PM

Damn..... forgot how ugly that sumbitch is.

I WANT IT!!!!!!!!

usaosooner
12/17/2010, 01:08 PM
LJ has progressed, so far since last year. The fact is our oline isn't really that much better (heck i think they are allowing more sacks), but LJ has developed. LJ made a huge leap last year during bowl prep i'm hoping for a similar jump this year

OUmillenium
12/17/2010, 01:17 PM
The trophy looks like the wrapping on a chocolate Easter bunny.

...on the clearance rack in May.

Sooner_Tuf
12/17/2010, 01:30 PM
Brandon Weeden is undefeated in Bowl Games and has the most powerful arm in the universe. Gooners I tell ya......

:D

Soonerman08
12/17/2010, 02:10 PM

Nate Hybl

SteelClip49
12/17/2010, 03:12 PM
The Fiesta Bowl trophy is the most expensive trophy in all of sports, if not then up there with the World Cup trophy.

That golden football is 24K gold and worth $1 Million. The authentic trophy belongs to the Fiesta Bowl and is celebrated with the winning team. The trophy stays in Arizona and the winning team eventually gets a nice replica version.

lasooner123
12/17/2010, 03:37 PM
i have mixed emotions about landry. at some times i have a feeling he is clutch and cant lose and at others he seems like a choker.
anyone else get this feeling

pphilfran
12/17/2010, 04:14 PM
i have mixed emotions about landry. at some times i have a feeling he is clutch and cant lose and at others he seems like a choker.

No...I get the feeling that he is a soph and has two more years to get better...

madillsoonerfan5353
12/17/2010, 05:14 PM
Not to mention LJ would be completely OUt of Sam the man's SHADOW!

BOOMER!

:gary:

stoopified
12/17/2010, 05:35 PM
Not taking a shot at Landry but HE won't win the game,THE SOONERS will.I have never understood trying to measure QBs by their team record,they aren't pitchers. That said Landry is a better qb then many people give him credit for.

Okie35
12/17/2010, 05:36 PM
Not taking a shot at Landry but HE won't win the game,THE SOONERS will.I have never understood trying to measure QBs by their team record,they aren't pitchers. That said Landry is a better qb then many people give him credit for.

Because its the same at every level the QBs are glorified. I don't like it either.

btb916
12/17/2010, 05:51 PM
Because its the same at every level the QBs are glorified. I don't like it either.

QB is a pretty important position. Just ask the Baltimore Ravens, who have a terrible QB and a spectacular defense; what they wouldn't give to have Tom Brady (ask the Jets, as well). Or the St. Louis Rams, who have an excellent rookie QB and a good defense. How good do you think St. Louis would feel with their current defense and Mark Bulger at QB? But you lose Donnie Avery, Mark Clayton, etc, and just keep rolling on. I don't have a problem with QB glorification.

pappy
12/17/2010, 06:20 PM

This win to me is just another bowl game, its got a bcs headline but because of the opponent (not our fault the big east sucks) this game does not take the bcs game monkey off our back it might as well be the holiday bowl. Our opponent sucks and doesn't deserve to be playing in a bcs bowl game. Again not our fault, but that's just the way it is.

Soonermagik
12/17/2010, 07:04 PM
This win to me is just another bowl game, its got a bcs headline but because of the opponent (not our fault the big east sucks) this game does not take the bcs game monkey off our back it might as well be the holiday bowl. Our opponent sucks and doesn't deserve to be playing in a bcs bowl game. Again not our fault, but that's just the way it is.

I agree that the opponent is not good. However, if they win this BCS game it does take away the mantra that Stoops can't win BCS games. People may say yeah, but they beat Uconn still doesn't take away the fact that they would have won a BCS game.

Plus, LJ will be doing something Bradford couldn't do.. win bowl games. Yes, I know they are against lesser teams, but a win is a win.

sendbaht
12/17/2010, 07:28 PM
It's a BCS game. WIN WIN WIN no matter who it is VS....

Two bowl wins for LJ I like this.......

I don't care if it is 70 OU Vs 3 UCONN just win baby just win

ouwasp
12/17/2010, 07:38 PM

Agree 100%......it will probably take nothing less than another NC to dispell a lot of the crap...

Winning it all solves it all for the Sooners.

Soonerjeepman
12/17/2010, 07:44 PM
I compare Landry to Cassle...for KC....he isn't the "superstar" name qb...but ya can see what happened to KC against the chargers when Cassle didn't play...ugly..(not that it would have matter maybe..the chargers are on a roll)..but Landry is good and does what he needs to do...

Okie35
12/17/2010, 08:39 PM
QB is a pretty important position. Just ask the Baltimore Ravens, who have a terrible QB and a spectacular defense; what they wouldn't give to have Tom Brady (ask the Jets, as well). Or the St. Louis Rams, who have an excellent rookie QB and a good defense. How good do you think St. Louis would feel with their current defense and Mark Bulger at QB? But you lose Donnie Avery, Mark Clayton, etc, and just keep rolling on. I don't have a problem with QB glorification.

You're joking right? You must watch ESPN a lot because Flacco is having his best season so far. His line just sucks.

Okie35
12/17/2010, 08:41 PM
I compare Landry to Cassle...for KC....he isn't the "superstar" name qb...but ya can see what happened to KC against the chargers when Cassle didn't play...ugly..(not that it would have matter maybe..the chargers are on a roll)..but Landry is good and does what he needs to do...

Good comparison but Landry will be a star QB next year. He was already on a few Heisman watch lists earlier this year.

AlbqSooner
12/17/2010, 08:49 PM
The Fiesta Bowl trophy is the most expensive trophy in all of sports, if not then up there with the World Cup trophy.

That golden football is 24K gold and worth $1 Million. The authentic trophy belongs to the Fiesta Bowl and is celebrated with the winning team. The trophy stays in Arizona and the winning team eventually gets a nice replica version.

It still looks like they bought it at a market booth in some Mexican boder town. But I want to see one in the Switzer Center next spring.

PLaw
12/17/2010, 09:52 PM
WHEN Landry Jones wins this bowl game he will be undefeated in bowl games. This is somethig a lot of our past sooner players can't say. With a win against Uconn all the haters will have to stop with their can't win a bowl game talk. This has been a huge hang-up with the legacy of Stoops. Not to mention, that would have this program on a 2-0 bowl game streak.

^^^^FIXED

BOOMER

TXBOOMER
12/17/2010, 11:18 PM
I agree that the opponent is not good. However, if they win this BCS game it does take away the mantra that Stoops can't win BCS games. People may say yeah, but they beat Uconn still doesn't take away the fact that they would have won a BCS game.

Plus, LJ will be doing something Bradford couldn't do.. win bowl games. Yes, I know they are against lesser teams, but a win is a win.

But Bradford was a severe choke artist in the bowl games. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
12/17/2010, 11:53 PM
Good Lowered, that thing looks like Elvis and Liberace got drunk with a box full of parts and a glue gun.

But I'll take it!!!! ;) :D

From the same catalog.

http://www.molon.de/galleries/Singapore/HTemple/images01/07%20Statue%20of%20goddess.jpg

King Barry's Back
12/18/2010, 02:18 AM

Come on. Assuming OU wins this game, to claim some kind of badge of honor for the 09 and 2010 Sooners, based solely on the bowl wins, is really rather ridiculous.

Last year, we won the Brut Afterthought Bowl against a 3rd team quarterback, and this year we are facing an unranked, 4-loss team.

While I certainly would rather win, and beating Stanford was a nice coda to disappointing season last year, neither of these wins would be very impressive.

If you want to celebrate LJ, how 'bout giving him the praise he deserves, for putting up some great numbers, leading us to great victories against OSU and Nebraska to end the season, and showing clear improvement throughout his career.

I am also skeptical of setting aside bowl games as some kind of special category for judging success, but that's a different post and different thread.

So, Magik, maybe I came down on you too hard. You were just looking for something positive, and i appreciate that, but right I am not thrilled with our Fiesta Bowl and I don't want to make more of it than it deserves.

King Barry's Back
12/18/2010, 02:23 AM
One could make a case for that thing being an African Mole-rat.

I like "UCONN African Mole-rats" waaayyy better than "UCONN Huskies."

They should consider making the change, and saving money by keeping the same mascot.

King Barry's Back
12/18/2010, 02:25 AM

I have had that feeling. In fact, much more than a feeling. It's basically been a fact.

However, to me, he showed signs of real growth and maturity down the stretch this season.

Let's hope it continues.

bigfatjerk
12/18/2010, 02:31 AM
I think Landry is just fine. He's had some problems but he's still young. Sam had some issues in close games in his 2 years. Texas, Florida, and Colorado. He didn't play that bad against WVU. But the team played bad. I don't really feel he was a big reason why we lost our 2 games. Maybe he was a problem in the Missouri game a bit. But we just couldn't stop their pass game. And we couldn't defend the run against A&M. And our play calling was horrible against A&M.

King Barry's Back
12/18/2010, 02:36 AM

You understand that if LJ returns as the starter next year, he will be a "superstar" name?

He may be the pre-season conference MVP-type guy, and should be on most all the Heisman watch lists.

If lives up to the expectations, he might be our third Stoops-era Heisman winner.

basel90
12/18/2010, 02:58 AM

I expect Landry to perform well in this game, but others need to as well if we are to win. He is a good QB who has grown leaps and bounds from last September. It's been fun watching him evolve as a leader and a player. I expect that improvement to pay big, big dividends next year.

beating Uconn will not help our image . basically ,the country will still remember 3 or 4 meltdowns and missed opportunities on the biggest stage in big and championship games; USC (biggest meltdown) , LSU , Boise and Florida. THese can only be erased with a dominant season culminating with a good win over an SEC or a powerhouse team.

basel90
12/18/2010, 03:02 AM

agreed m beating Uconn will not help our image . basically ,the country will still remember 3 or 4 meltdowns and missed opportunities on the biggest stage in big and championship games; USC (biggest meltdown) , LSU , Boise and Florida (missed calls and turnovers) . THese can only be erased with a dominant season culminating with a good win over an SEC or a powerhouse team.

Soonerjeepman
12/18/2010, 03:50 AM
You understand that if LJ returns as the starter next year, he will be a "superstar" name?

He may be the pre-season conference MVP-type guy, and should be on most all the Heisman watch lists.

If lives up to the expectations, he might be our third Stoops-era Heisman winner.

yes I do....just sayin he is having a "quiet" year...I sill think he locks onto guys..but who am I to judge...he's done a pretty good job this yr.

Judge Smails
12/18/2010, 03:57 AM

But, after seeing pictures of their mascot, I could see the confusion!!:P

HUCK THE FUSKIES :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

pappy
12/18/2010, 06:33 AM

This game doesn't deserve to be called a BCS game nor does it deserve to be played on New Years with the other big bowls.

It or the washington vs nebraska game may have the least viewers of any bowl game containing a team from a bcs conference. I'm gonna watch, but I'm an OU fan, but outside of OU fans and Uconn fans nobody is gonna care to see it.

Leroy Lizard
12/18/2010, 06:35 AM
This game doesn't deserve to be called a BCS game nor does it deserve to be played on New Years with the other big bowls.

But it is a BCS bowl game and it is being played on New Years Day.

Are you sure you're a Sooner fan? You sure go out of your way to neg the team's and players' accomplishments.

pappy
12/18/2010, 06:36 AM

I completely agree...he should have tons of (and deservedly so) preseason hype/praise.

pappy
12/18/2010, 06:37 AM
But it is a BCS bowl game and it is being played on New Years Day.

Are you sure you're a Sooner fan? You sure go out of your way to neg the team's and players' accomplishments.

Not negging our team or its accomplishments I'm just saying its one of the worst bowl matchups...its not our fault that its that way but that doesn't change the fact that it is that way.

Soonersince57
12/18/2010, 10:39 AM
So it sounds like some of you would like to have a loss column and two win columns; one is for "wins against great teams from good conferences" and "wins against crappy teams that don't really count because all those people in important places don't like us."

FirstandGoal
12/18/2010, 02:35 PM
beating Uconn will not help our image . basically ,the country will still remember 3 or 4 meltdowns and missed opportunities on the biggest stage in big and championship games; USC (biggest meltdown) , LSU , Boise and Florida. THese can only be erased with a dominant season culminating with a good win over an SEC or a powerhouse team.

Really? Do you also still resent that 3rd grade bully who beat you up and took your lunch money that one time? Sheesh

So you're judging your own self worth on whether or not we can beat a team from the SEC?
**** the SEC and **** what the rest of the country thinks.

I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of this game and shake my head at all of the asshats that will find someway to be disappointed on Jan 1.

bigfatjerk
12/18/2010, 02:41 PM
There's only one Bob Stoops QB that's played more than one bowl game with an undefeated record. Nate Hybl. Sam Bradford. Jason White, and Paul Thompson haven't started for a team that's won a bowl game at OU.

SoonerNima
12/18/2010, 03:32 PM
unless Landry wins the national title, people will hate on him no matter.
they hitched their wagon, and their pride will keep them from acknowledging any positives with LJ. it's a shame that folks will actively root against one of OUr guys. It happens at my house and in my section at games all the time. the same folks who bash on him as being a "loser" and not having "it" NEVER give him praise for some really unbelievable plays.

it is what is....and i have given up on trying to break a sin like PRIDE with folks that hate on landry.