PDA

View Full Version : How prestigious is the Sammy Baugh trophy?

King Barry's Back
12/16/2010, 10:14 PM
For "best passer," sounds like a nice award, but I noticed that ESPN doesn't even include this award in it's list of national college football awards. The Sammy Baugh has been awarded since 1959, so it's not like a new kid on the block.

Here's what wikipedia has to say about it:

"The Sammy Baugh Trophy is awarded annually to the nation's top college passer. The award is named in honor of former Texas Christian University and Washington Redskins quarterback Sammy Baugh. The trophy has been given out by the Touchdown Club of Columbus since 1959. The Columbus Touchdown Club also gives the Chic Harley Award which goes to the nation's top collegiate player and the Archie Griffin Award which is award to the collegiate MVP. The Griffin Award is voted on after the college bowl games to ensure that the award goes to the MVP of the entire season. The Sammy Baugh Trophy was awarded to Case Keenum for the 2009 football season."

Now first off, this entry needs to be updated to show that Landry Jones won it, but second, I've never heard of this "Chic Harley Award." And I don't think I've ever heard of the "Archie Griffin Award" either.

Is this Touchdown Club of Columbus just a bunch of guys that get together and name some award winners? May soonerfans.com should be naming some award winners?

yermom
12/16/2010, 10:38 PM
we should start a trust and do that :D

i'm not sure what goes along with it, or how one gets prestige for awards like that

i'll take it though. he really has played well this year. if you step back and look at the numbers without Jason White or Sam Bradford in mind, he's pretty impressive, especially as a sophomore

85sooners
12/16/2010, 10:41 PM
:cool:

King Barry's Back
12/16/2010, 10:45 PM
Just want to clarify I am not knocking the award or LJ. It's more award than I've won lately, to be sure.

I might be knocking ESPN for excluding the awards that aren't stylish enough for them, though.

swardboy
12/16/2010, 11:23 PM
I've always heard of the Baugh award, but I believe the Davey O'Brien award is considered more prestigious. Don't know of anything that sets them apart criteria-wise, just a different set of voters.

SoonerDood
12/16/2010, 11:50 PM
It's more prestigious than that Long Snapper Award that Blobert Allen was hyping his son for.

Frisco
12/16/2010, 11:52 PM
I have two of them in my basement if you want them.

EatLeadCommie
12/17/2010, 12:33 AM
I think the Baugh is more inclined to reward pass yards/attempts/completions. Look at past winners, and you see a lot of BYU and Taco Tech guys. Landry threw a lot of passes this year and racked up a lot of yards.

King Barry's Back
12/17/2010, 05:18 AM
I think the Baugh is more inclined to reward pass yards/attempts/completions. Look at past winners, and you see a lot of BYU and Taco Tech guys. Landry threw a lot of passes this year and racked up a lot of yards.

Yeah, you're right. Out of 59 years, BYU has won it seven times.

By the way, only about 10 schools have won more than one time, including Oklahoma with two of these. Until 2008, we had zero.

booomer
12/17/2010, 07:01 AM
we should start a trust and do that :D

i'm not sure what goes along with it, or how one gets prestige for awards like that

i'll take it though. he really has played well this year. if you step back and look at the numbers without Jason White or Sam Bradford in mind, he's pretty impressive, especially as a sophomore

Yep.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/17/2010, 09:13 AM
I've never heard of this "Chic Harley Award." And I don't think I've ever heard of the "Archie Griffin Award" either.

Josh Heupel and Sam Bradford have won the Chic Harley award and JH also won the Archie Griffin award in 2000.

yermom
12/17/2010, 09:23 AM
i really like the idea of giving it out after the bowl games

i can see why the major ones don't do that though

OUmillenium
12/17/2010, 09:27 AM
Who was/is Sammy Baugh?

pphilfran
12/17/2010, 09:38 AM
Who was/is Sammy Baugh?

QB for TCU and then played for Skins in the NFL....he still holds several NFL records....charter member of the NFL Hall of Fame...he was also a punter...

Soonerfan88
12/17/2010, 09:45 AM
Is this Touchdown Club of Columbus just a bunch of guys that get together and name some award winners? May soonerfans.com should be naming some award winners?

Yes. The Jim Thorpe Association did the same thing in 1986 as a way to promote a positive image for Oklahoma. Apparently, folks in OKC have more pull with national sports media than Columbus, OH since the Jim Thorpe Award was immediately tagged as a major award.

Soonerntxs
12/17/2010, 10:00 AM
For us the fan, these awards can be debated as far as prestige, but for the players, these awards are a testiment to their play. What we need to consider here is the fact that LJ WON THE AWARD! If you stop and think about how many QB's there are playing DIV 1 FB, prestige is not a factor!
As far as ESPN or as I say (Excluding SOONERS Prettymuch Natural) F'em!

Whet
12/17/2010, 10:05 AM
It is a nice award, much like the other awards given to players at the end of the season. It represents that player has done something that other players have not been able to do, or did it better than other players.

If you take this trophy, or any trophy into a Starbuck - along with a $10 bill - you can get a cup of coffee!

meandmybutt
12/17/2010, 05:26 PM
For "best passer," sounds like a nice award, but I noticed that ESPN doesn't even include this award in it's list of national college football awards. The Sammy Baugh has been awarded since 1959, so it's not like a new kid on the block.

Here's what wikipedia has to say about it:

"The Sammy Baugh Trophy is awarded annually to the nation's top college passer. The award is named in honor of former Texas Christian University and Washington Redskins quarterback Sammy Baugh. The trophy has been given out by the Touchdown Club of Columbus since 1959. The Columbus Touchdown Club also gives the Chic Harley Award which goes to the nation's top collegiate player and the Archie Griffin Award which is award to the collegiate MVP. The Griffin Award is voted on after the college bowl games to ensure that the award goes to the MVP of the entire season. The Sammy Baugh Trophy was awarded to Case Keenum for the 2009 football season."

Now first off, this entry needs to be updated to show that Landry Jones won it, but second, I've never heard of this "Chic Harley Award." And I don't think I've ever heard of the "Archie Griffin Award" either.

I suspect the thinking is as follows: Tim Tebow didn't win it....it must not be important, ESPN doesn't list it.

soonerstan56
12/17/2010, 10:41 PM
OK,I get it now.An award began 20 years before ESPN doesn't matter because they don't acknowledge it!
Reality TV rules right?

Stan

kevpks
12/17/2010, 11:33 PM
How prestigious is the Sammy Baugh trophy?

Given the fact that:
A) Cam pretty much swept every other QB award
and
B) We all know Cam will probably be declared to have been ineligible at some point
and
C) He might pull a Reggie and give everything back/have it taken away

I would say that being the only QB to win and keep an award in 2010 is pretty darn prestigious:D

birddog
12/18/2010, 09:22 PM
not sure of the praise that comes from this award. but if you want to go back a few months and count how many LAUNDRY SUX threads are hanging around here, i'd say it's pretty friggin impressive in alot of peoples (atleast in mine) eyes, sans the haters.