PDA

View Full Version : UTards bullying some high school over a logo.

Veritas
12/16/2010, 06:05 PM
ui4GNmNC5ho

Basically some high school has a logo that looks similar to UTs, except that it's not a longhorn, it's not burnt orange, and it's a Kansas school.

(I see this is a few months old, but I couldn't find that it had been posted).

KantoSooner
12/16/2010, 06:11 PM
UF did the same thing to some school in Florida. I propose that any and all such schools be granted a license from OU to wear crimson and cream and call themselves 'Sooners'.
I'd like the idea of 'Sooners' cropping up in Florida, in Kansas, in Texas, in Wyoming...

SoonerOX
12/16/2010, 06:16 PM
I believe that the U and Georgia have both sued high school over using their logo. I thought Tulsa Union might have been a victim of such a suit.

Salt City Sooner
12/16/2010, 06:18 PM
Miami got after Tulsa Union a few years back for it as well.

Oh, & V, that's your future QB (assuming NU leaves him there) in that clip. Quite the player.

OKLA21FAN
12/16/2010, 06:22 PM
UT only needs to look in their back yard at Cedar Hill High School :gary:

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/16/2010, 06:23 PM
Kansas State went after my high school (Flower Mound) in 1999 or 2000 for taking an outline of the Powercat and adding spots.

Why have the Green Bay Packers and UGA never come to fisticuffs?

yankee
12/16/2010, 06:25 PM
why that school? there are tons of high schools that use the whorn logo. heck, doesn't Jones, Oklahoma use it?

SoonerBacker
12/16/2010, 06:28 PM
why that school? there are tons of high schools that use the whorn logo. heck, doesn't Jones, Oklahoma use it?

Yes, and the Jones teams also go by the name, longhorns.

boomersooner28
12/16/2010, 06:28 PM
Inola, Ok

C&CDean
12/16/2010, 06:31 PM
Yes, and the Jones teams also go by the name, longhorns.

yeah except Jones' Longhorn is green. I know, cause they're 2A, and my kids have played against them nutless **********s the past 8 years. When I see Okies all "go longhorns" I am sad in my pants.

sooner59
12/16/2010, 06:33 PM
yeah except Jones' Longhorn is green. I know, cause they're 2A, and my kids have played against them nutless **********s the past 8 years. When I see Okies all "go longhorns" I am sad in my pants.

Where did they play? I'm from Davis, and Davis played Jones in the playoffs this year.

C&CDean
12/16/2010, 06:53 PM
Where did they play? I'm from Davis, and Davis played Jones in the playoffs this year.

Either at Jones or Lex. They're usually pretty good (well 2A good anyhow). So who won?

soonerboy_odanorth
12/16/2010, 06:53 PM
Chisholm High School just outside of Enid...

http://chisholmhigh.com/

(only knew that because we scrimmaged 'em a long long time ago...)

jumperstop
12/16/2010, 06:58 PM
There are a ton of highschools that use college and pro team logos. The one I see the most often is the Greenbay/Georgia logo and then probably around here the longhorns is real popular. My jr. high had the kstate logo. If you look to punish one school there are hundreds of others you have to go after.

85sooners
12/16/2010, 06:59 PM
:pop:

rekamrettuB
12/16/2010, 07:17 PM
My little league back in the mid 80s used the 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, Colts, and Patriots logos and names. Thank goodness the NFL teams didn't catch wind.

See how silly that sounds.

jumperstop
12/16/2010, 07:22 PM
My little league back in the mid 80s used the 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, Colts, and Patriots logos and names. Thank goodness the NFL teams didn't catch wind.

See how silly that sounds.

http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/512N00R9SRL._SS500_.jpg

You think they would get sued by Jerry Jones or whoever owns the NY Giants?

47straight
12/16/2010, 08:07 PM
This isn't nearly as egregious as them going after the 'saw'em off' t-shirt makers. UT does have a TM on the logo, the high school's logo is pretty close, and the use is within a similar field. Say all you want about the perverse nature of the government owning a TM, but it is what it is.

jumperstop
12/16/2010, 08:11 PM
This isn't nearly as egregious as them going after the 'saw'em off' t-shirt makers. UT does have a TM on the logo, the high school's logo is pretty close, and the use is within a similar field. Say all you want about the perverse nature of the government owning a TM, but it is what it is.

This is the main issue I have. The school is a public institution for learning. So why can't other another public school use that logo? There is no doubt that they could use another longhorn logo or that the one there are using is meant to imitate UT's logo. It just seems kinda pointless to go after a high school when there are so many other examples of this across the country. And it's not like they are making money off of the logo itself.

sooner59
12/16/2010, 08:21 PM
Either at Jones or Lex. They're usually pretty good (well 2A good anyhow). So who won?

Davis beat Jones I believe in the 2nd round and ended up losing in the state championship this year.

Breadburner
12/16/2010, 08:30 PM
Texas should play them for the right to use it.....!!!!

jumperstop
12/16/2010, 08:32 PM

Winner! It's just so funny cause they could possibly lose...:D

Soonerfan88
12/16/2010, 08:34 PM
OK board lawyers, doesn't this fall under vigilant defense of a TM? If they don't say something to someone using their logo w/o permission, even a high school team, aren't they in danger of losing the trademark? Which, of course, brings us to the next question - have they already or are currently pursuing all those other schools across the country or just targeting this school in Kansas?

jumperstop
12/16/2010, 08:40 PM
OK board lawyers, doesn't this fall under vigilant defense of a TM? If they don't say something to someone using their logo w/o permission, even a high school team, aren't they in danger of losing the trademark? Which, of course, brings us to the next question - have they already or are currently pursuing all those other schools across the country or just targeting this school in Kansas?

I doubt they are pursuing them all, that would be a massive undertaking. There are probably hundreds who use a logo similar to UT's. I would say the majority of high school's and lower use a logo from a university or pro team. It's not like they are using the logo to make a profit, well maybe they are in a round-about way, but still I think they should be able to use it. It's not like if they change it, UT will make any more or any less money.

Soonerwake
12/16/2010, 08:42 PM
This might be the dumbest thing I've seen in some time. There are numerous schools that use a longhorn type logo, wildcats, the G from Georgia, etc. I've reffed high school in other states and I can tell you that I have seen at least 5 high schools with either a G (Georgia) or a C (Chicago).

It's not like someone is trying to profit from selling knock-off UT shirts.

Absolutely ridiculous.... :mad:

I wonder if they would go after some football power high school in Texas???? Doubt it. :mad:

MyT Oklahoma
12/16/2010, 10:09 PM
I can only guess that the Jetmore (Kansas) Longhorns are probably next.

King Barry's Back
12/16/2010, 10:59 PM

Not a lawyer, but one fact you overlooked is apparently this school requested permission from UT. (They were already apparently using the logo, so this part is sketchy, but they did ask according to the video...)

I remember a few years ago reading that OU and UT cooperated very closely on protecting university logos. The main point of the article was that whenever either school found pirated use of the other's logos, they would make phone calls and bring the other school in on the case.

What the schools said was that if they catch someone, say, selling t-shirts with copyrighted material, they would normally offer them the chance to pay the licensing fee and make it right. However, if there was anything vulgar or obscene, it would be confiscated and the purveyor prosecuted. Both schools also forbid anybody to use their logos in a negative way -- like say, the t-shirt would have a wagon running over the UT symbol, or a nutless steer running over an interlocking OU.

What I don't understand is why, if the high school asked permission, UT didn't allow them to pay a nominal licensing fee? If use of the longhorn logo is so pervasive at the high school level, maybe UT could even rake in a few bucks on the deal? That would finance a nice raise for Mack and DeLoss, so why not?

King Barry's Back
12/16/2010, 11:00 PM

According to that video, the high school is ranked 66th in the country. UT doesn't like to schedule up.:D

soonrfish
12/16/2010, 11:10 PM
A middle school in Amarillo, Tx is being sued by Penn State for using their logo. How the heck does PSU find a middle school in Amarillo using their logo and the decide its worth it to come after them?

OUthunder
12/16/2010, 11:23 PM
Ghey

Okieflyer
12/17/2010, 08:34 AM

I just had to laugh at this. :D

sooner518
12/17/2010, 08:39 AM
A middle school in Amarillo, Tx is being sued by Penn State for using their logo. How the heck does PSU find a middle school in Amarillo using their logo and the decide its worth it to come after them?

Are they suing them for using the same helmet design as Penn St too? :D :D

MichiganSooner
12/17/2010, 08:52 AM
Any pro or college team called the Chemics?

If not, my high school team is safe.

If so, they certainly copied my high school and deserve to be sued!

KuppiKunta
12/17/2010, 09:30 AM
I believe that the U and Georgia have both sued high school over using their logo. I thought Tulsa Union might have been a victim of such a suit.

Yep, Miami asked Union to stop using their logo, but eventually agreed to let them use it. At the time, Union had to pay $1k per year for the use, not sure if they still pay it or not.

sooner518
12/17/2010, 10:06 AM
my high school blatantly stole the SMU Pony logo, but we sucked so I doubt they cared

SpankyNek
12/17/2010, 10:17 AM
My daughter attends an elementary school in Cypress Texas.

The Lowery Longhorns.

Same logo, same colors.

The thing is, most parents (NOT ME) will just purchase ut stuff from Wal Mart to wear as fan support for the elementary school.

The question I am bringing up, how much more miami garb is sold in Tulsa because of the U?

I bet it is a sight more than if the U logo had been forcibly changed.

jumperstop
12/17/2010, 10:23 AM

The Lowery Longhorns.

Same logo, same colors.

The thing is, most parents (NOT ME) will just purchase ut stuff from Wal Mart to wear as fan support for the elementary school.

The question I am bringing up, how much more miami garb is sold in Tulsa because of the U?

What parent wears stuff to support the elementary school? What is there to support at an elementary school anyways?

But yeah, chances are those universities who get their logos used by high schools and jr highs probably sell more of their stuff in those areas than they would if they made them change the logo. So really it's benificial for them to let high schools use the logos.

pphilfran
12/17/2010, 10:32 AM
It is called trademark dilution...

When you see the Longhorn trademark UT wants you to think of UT and not some high school...

Some legalese...

The new act defines the term "dilution" as "the lessening of the capacity of a famous mark to identify and distinguish goods or services, regardless of the presence or absence of

(1) competition between the owner of the famous mark and other parties, or
(2) likelihood of confusion, mistake, or deception."

Courts have previously found that dilution can occur as a result of either "blurring" or "tarnishment". "Blurring" typically refers to the "whittling away" of distinctiveness caused by the unauthorized use of a mark on dissimilar products; while "tarnishment" involves an unauthorized use of a mark which links it to products that are of poor quality or which is portrayed in an unwholesome or unsavory context that is likely to reflect adversely upon the owner's product. The legislative history suggests that both of these concepts are encompassed within the new law. In addition, the legislative history cites, as examples of the uses which would fall within the new law, the mark DUPONT for shoes, BUICK for aspirin and KODAK for pianos.

SpankyNek
12/17/2010, 10:53 AM

When you see the Longhorn trademark UT wants you to think of UT and not some high school...

Some legalese...

The new act defines the term "dilution" as "the lessening of the capacity of a famous mark to identify and distinguish goods or services, regardless of the presence or absence of

Courts have previously found that dilution can occur as a result of either "blurring" or "tarnishment". "Blurring" typically refers to the "whittling away" of distinctiveness caused by the unauthorized use of a mark on dissimilar products; while "tarnishment" involves an unauthorized use of a mark which links it to products that are of poor quality or which is portrayed in an unwholesome or unsavory context that is likely to reflect adversely upon the owner's product. The legislative history suggests that both of these concepts are encompassed within the new law. In addition, the legislative history cites, as examples of the uses which would fall within the new law, the mark DUPONT for shoes, BUICK for aspirin and KODAK for pianos.
Phil, I get the concept, but not so sure it applies here.

1)This high School is not, in any way, in direct competition with ut

2)No one is going to confuse this high school team with ut, mistake them for the other, nor do I believe that the high school is attempting to lead others to believe that they are ut.

"Blurring" does not seem to be relevant, as the products are not dissimilar.

"Tarnishment" also does not seem a viable argument, as there would appear to be objective proof that this high school is attempting to be competitive in their sport. It's not like they are playing a powder puff skits to disenfranchise the logo.

JMO

jumperstop
12/17/2010, 10:54 AM

Some legalese...

Kinda the same thing. But unless the school is selling tshirts for their rivalry football game, I don't see them "making" money off it like using another company's name for a different product. And they weren't unauthorized, aparently they let UT know they were using it. Unless your high school is the one using it, you're going to connect that logo with UT.

randall180
12/17/2010, 10:56 AM
The high school my kids will go to are the Longhorns. http://www.ihigh.com/parkwaywestfootball/ (http://www.ihigh.com/parkwaywestfootball/)Thankfully they aren't puke orange. But I doubt I can bring myself to put one of those vagina stickers on my car.

Veritas
12/17/2010, 11:00 AM
There are a ton of highschools that use college and pro team logos. The one I see the most often is the Greenbay/Georgia logo and then probably around here the longhorns is real popular. My jr. high had the kstate logo. If you look to punish one school there are hundreds of others you have to go after.
Not every school has a QB recruit that chose Nebraska over Texas. :)

Oh, and FWIW, UTard probably does have a legit case. Doesn't make the move any less ghey and ghey.

Fraggle145
12/17/2010, 12:01 PM

Georgia hasnt. The G is owned by Green Bay. Just ask Grambling.

getrdone
12/17/2010, 12:10 PM
my mom teaches at a middle school that is orange and has the whorns nickname and logo. i won't let her wear it onto my property! the only thing orange allowed in my house is orange juice, if it wasn't healthy it would be banned. don't even allow orange gatorade

MichiganSooner
12/17/2010, 02:50 PM
Yep, Miami asked Union to stop using their logo, but eventually agreed to let them use it. At the time, Union had to pay $1k per year for the use, not sure if they still pay it or not.

The stupid thing about this is Union at least starts with a U. Miami doesn't eveing have a U in its name except University. If I were Union, countersue.

bent rider
12/17/2010, 02:56 PM
my mom teaches at a middle school that is orange and has the whorns nickname and logo. i won't let her wear it onto my property! the only thing orange allowed in my house is orange juice, if it wasn't healthy it would be banned. don't even allow orange gatorade

carrots, candy corn, andy dalton?

bent rider
12/17/2010, 02:58 PM
Thankfully they aren't puke orange. But I doubt I can bring myself to put one of those vagina stickers on my car.

Henry Gray, author of Gray's Anatomy textbook, should sue the Longhorns.

Soonerwake
12/17/2010, 05:01 PM
Not every school has a QB recruit that chose Nebraska over Texas. :)

Oh, and FWIW, UTard probably does have a legit case. Doesn't make the move any less ghey and ghey.

Agree with the ghey part... just because they may have a case, doesn't mean they should.

PDXsooner
12/17/2010, 05:11 PM
Are the Cleveland Browns suing all the teams that have no logo?

bent rider
12/17/2010, 06:44 PM
Are the Cleveland Browns suing all the teams that have no logo?

They probably have a case for a team with any color name between tan and mocha.

PLaw
12/17/2010, 06:53 PM
ui4GNmNC5ho

Basically some high school has a logo that looks similar to UTs, except that it's not a longhorn, it's not burnt orange, and it's a Kansas school.

(I see this is a few months old, but I couldn't find that it had been posted).

Tuck Fexas

Boomer

AlboSooner
12/17/2010, 07:00 PM
Texas is right, but you'd think they have more to worry about than some high school in kansas.

MichiganSooner
12/17/2010, 08:17 PM
Texas is right, but you'd think they have more to worry about than some high school in kansas.

Especially a little high school in Kansas.

SoonerDomiNation
12/17/2010, 08:40 PM
Theres alex longhorns here in ok. same burnt orange and all. * couldnt beat anyone in college so their going after a high school team. Let em settle it on the feild and watch * get their *** kicked.

mdklatt
12/17/2010, 08:55 PM

The HS my sister graduated from--in Texas--not only has the Longhorns as a mascot but uses the same godawful fight song. They don't use burnt orange, however. I've never heard anything about UT hassling them.

Radar's Left Hand
12/17/2010, 09:04 PM

The Lowery Longhorns.

Same logo, same colors.

What does "I bet it is a sight more" mean?

SpankyNek
12/17/2010, 11:10 PM
What does "I bet it is a sight more" mean?

I always heard my grandpa say this. I took it to mean a substantial quantity more, or a good bit more.

SpankyNek
12/17/2010, 11:21 PM
As I thought...here is what Merriam Webster says:

SIGHT:

3a chiefly dialect : a great number or quantity
b a good deal : LOT <a far sight better> <not by a damn sight>

Link (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sight)