PDA

View Full Version : Paralyzed Rutgers football player has feeling in hands

Okie35
12/16/2010, 04:02 PM
DALLAS -- Rutgers defensive tackle Eric LeGrand has some sensation in his hands, but he remains paralyzed from the neck down.

The family updated LeGrand's condition Thursday, the same day the junior defensive tackle was named the winner of the 2010 Discover Orange Bowl Courage Award.

LeGrand, a junior from Avenel, N.J., was injured Oct. 16 in a game against Army. The award will be presented Jan. 3 at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

Rutgers spokesman Jason Baum said the family confirmed the sensation in LeGrand's hands late Wednesday, adding nothing else has changed.

The Football Writers Association of America presents the award for displaying courage on or off the field, including overcoming an injury or physical handicap, preventing a disaster or living through hardship.

Last month, LeGrand was taken off a ventilator and is able to breathe on his own. His injury was reclassified from a complete spinal cord injury to an incomplete spinal cord injury. He is rehabilitating at Kessler Institute in West Orange, N.J.

"Eric has displayed so much courage and determination throughout his injury and rehabilitation," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said. "He has given everyone associated with our football family at Rutgers the strength to persevere through life's challenges."

LeGrand's family issued a statement, thanking the association and all parties connected with the award: "He continues every day to make positive steps and has attacked his rehabilitation with the same desire and passion as he did on the football field. We continue to ask everyone to keep Eric in your thoughts and prayers."

The "Eric LeGrand Believe Fund" has been set up to help finance his treatment. For information, visit www.scarletknights.com/believe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/ncf/news/story?id=5926360

Good stuff.

Widescreen
12/16/2010, 04:32 PM
I hope he has a Dennis Byrd type recovery.

usaosooner
12/16/2010, 04:35 PM
great news, its a long road back though hope this is the start of a good trend for the kid

EatLeadCommie
12/16/2010, 04:35 PM
Great news!

It always freaks me out to see these huge, freakish athletes rendered paralyzed. Rodney Rogers is another guy this happened too, though it was off the court.

oudavid1
12/16/2010, 05:08 PM
God please, make this happen. Make it happen.

bmjlr
12/16/2010, 05:15 PM
Great news!!!!!

CowboyMRW
12/16/2010, 05:23 PM
T & P's for him. Praying that he recovers!!

CrimsonRez
12/16/2010, 05:42 PM
After something like that, how does your body recover? Pretty amazing to see it happen and how resilient the human body is. Prayers sent!

rekamrettuB
12/16/2010, 05:50 PM
Bueno! Clap, clap.

Boomer38Sooner
12/16/2010, 06:34 PM
Great news!

Does anybody have news on Corey Wilson?

2121Sooner
12/16/2010, 07:12 PM
You know that is really sad. I remember when OU played Florida State this year, and I cant remember who got laid out and ended up being taken off the field on a stretcher, but the announcer was saing something along the lines of ......"Welcome to Division I football son......"

Then he doesnt get up or move.

Scary sport and thank God this doesnt happen more frequently.

Okie35
12/16/2010, 07:21 PM
You know that is really sad. I remember when OU played Florida State this year, and I cant remember who got laid out and ended up being taken off the field on a stretcher, but the announcer was saing something along the lines of ......"Welcome to Division I football son......"

It was Brennan Clay and yea I was disgusted by the first reactions after that hit he took.

pqTMS5fFdpA

They say it here. I don't even recall hearing that when I saw it live. I would've been even more disgusted but they're human. They didn't know he would be concussed.

TUSooner
12/16/2010, 07:33 PM
God please, make this happen. Make it happen.

AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN. AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN. AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN. AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN. AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN.AMEN. AMEN.AMEN.

oudavid1
12/17/2010, 01:48 AM

It was Brennan Clay and yea I was disgusted by the first reactions after that hit he took.

pqTMS5fFdpA

They say it here. I don't even recall hearing that when I saw it live. I would've been even more disgusted but they're human. They didn't know he would be concussed.

There was nothing wrong with that video. That announcer didnt know he[Brenan] wasnt going to get up.

And it was a good clean tackle.

Okie35
12/17/2010, 02:22 AM
There was nothing wrong with that video. That announcer didnt know heNan] wasnt going to get up.

And it was a good clean tackle.

It was helmet to helmet but he didn't lead w/ it so yea and I know. I said that they probably didn't know he was getting up :cool: also FIFY!

oudavid1
12/17/2010, 12:31 PM
It was helmet to helmet but he didn't lead w/ it so yea and I know. I said that they probably didn't know he was getting up :cool: also FIFY!

lol i knew as soon as i typed it i was prolly gonna get it wrong.

http://www.mileanhour.com/files/2010/3/fail-owned-spelling-fail4.jpg