PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Before Palin, Beck and the rest

Okla-homey
12/16/2010, 07:18 AM
December 16, 1773: Sons of Liberty dump British tea

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2803/bostonteapartygn3.jpg

237 years ago, on this day in 1773, a group of Massachusetts radicals disguised as Mohawk Indians board three British tea ships moored in Boston Harbor and dump 342 chests of tea into the water.

Now known as the "Boston Tea Party," the midnight raid was a protest of the Tea Act of 1773, a bill enacted by the British parliament to save the faltering British East India Company by greatly lowering its tea tax and granting it a virtual monopoly on the American tea trade.

The low tax allowed the company to sell its tea even more cheaply than that smuggled into America by Dutch traders. Many colonists viewed the act as yet another example of Britain's taxation tyranny.

In most American ports, the resistance group known as the Sons of Liberty scared off British tea-carrying ships by threatening their captains with tarring, feathering or worse. However, when three tea ships, Dartmouth, Eleanor and Beaver, arrived in Boston Harbor and the colonists demanded that the tea be returned to England, Thomas Hutchinson, the British-appointed governor of Massachusetts, refused to permit the ships to leave.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4194/thomashutchinsonur1.jpg
Thomas Hutchinson. The last royal governor of the province of Massachusetts, son of a wealthy merchant of Boston, Mass., was born there on the 9th of September 1711. He graduated from Harvard College in 1727, then became an apprentice in his father's counting-room, and for several years devoted himself to business. In 1774, upon the appointment of General Thomas Gage as military governor he went to England, and acted as an adviser to King George III and the British ministry on American affairs, uniformly counselling moderation. He died at Brompton, now part of London, on the 3rd of June 1780.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3025/bostonteaparty2007smallfu0.jpg

Patriot leader Samuel Adams organized the now-famous "tea party" with about 60 members of the Sons of Liberty. The British tea dumped into Boston Harbor on the night of December 16 was worth more than $700,000 in today's currency.

"It was now evening, and I immediately dressed myself in the costume of an Indian, equipped with a small hatchet, which I and my associates denominated the tomahawk, with which, and a club, after having painted my face and hands with coal dust in the shop of a blacksmith, I repaired to Griffin's wharf, where the ships lay that contained the tea. When I first appeared in the street after being thus disguised, I fell in with many who were dressed, equipped and painted as I was, and who fell in with me and marched in order to the place of our destination. " - Boston Tea Party participant George Hewes

Parliament, outraged by the blatant destruction of British property, enacted the Coercive Acts, called the "Intolerable Acts" by the colonists, in 1774. The Coercive Acts closed Boston to merchant shipping, established formal British military rule in Massachusetts, made British officials immune to criminal prosecution in America, and required colonists to quarter British troops.

The colonists subsequently called the first Continental Congress to consider a united American resistance to the British.

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/7889/insane7zowh7.jpg

prrriiide
12/16/2010, 08:21 AM
Under the Patriot Act, I believe that would be classified as an act of domestic terrorism.

stoopified
12/16/2010, 10:21 AM
Patriotism,gotta love it.

Oh yea,go whitey

AlboSooner
12/16/2010, 12:05 PM
British East India Company by greatly lowering its tea tax and granting it a virtual monopoly on the American tea trade.

but that's the position Palin and Beck hold: tax breaks for the big companies and the rich.

picasso
12/16/2010, 12:10 PM
but that's the position Palin and Beck hold: tax breaks for the big companies and the rich.

Damn right. I don't make any money if rich folks aren't spending it.

AlboSooner
12/16/2010, 12:23 PM
Damn right. I don't make any money if rich folks aren't spending it.

Isn't it the opposite? You don't see the irony going all Tea-Party when you hold the position which the original tea party detested?

Soonrboy
12/16/2010, 12:28 PM
I never quite understood why they dressed up like Indians. Not real "brave" of them to do it in disguise.

picasso
12/16/2010, 12:28 PM
Isn't it the opposite? You don't see the irony going all Tea-Party when you hold the position which the original tea party detested?

I see where you're coming from but just because modern tea folks are for the rich getting tax breaks along with everyone else that means they're elitists and only for rich folks?

The rich already pay more taxes than everyone else. This argument is so old.

AlboSooner
12/16/2010, 12:36 PM
I see where you're coming from but just because modern tea folks are for the rich getting tax breaks along with everyone else that means they're elitists and only for rich folks?

The rich already pay more taxes than everyone else. This argument is so old.

No. I wasn't trying to start an argument or a debate. I just think there's some irony involved in the whole Tea Party thing, which is really a wing of the GOP.

From my limited study of economics, and I put emphasis on the word limited, the trickle down model only works when the economy is doing really great. In times of hardship, deficits, and wall street debacles, the trickle down by design fails. Where as the Keynesian model which the dems try to follow, is more built to keep stability and a steady rate of profits.

:)

Okla-homey
12/16/2010, 09:48 PM
No. I wasn't trying to start an argument or a debate. I just think there's some irony involved in the whole Tea Party thing, which is really a wing of the GOP.

From my limited study of economics, and I put emphasis on the word limited, the trickle down model only works when the economy is doing really great. In times of hardship, deficits, and wall street debacles, the trickle down by design fails. Where as the Keynesian model which the dems try to follow, is more built to keep stability and a steady rate of profits.

:)

In actuality, it was more about free trade than anything else. British EIC tea costed more than tea from Dutch merchants. The Crown denied the Dutch, or anyone else for that matter, access to the American tea market. Thus, the original "Tea Partiers" dumped EIC tea into Boston harbor to protest trade restrictions. Thus, it was a very libertarian thing to do.