85sooners
12/15/2010, 04:08 PM
They travel in droves:D

Mad Dog Madsen
12/15/2010, 04:09 PM
I'm surprised they have 4000 fans.

Widescreen
12/15/2010, 04:23 PM
A connecticut article indicated that OU isn't going to sell all theirs either. That's surprising if true.

Soonerntxs
12/15/2010, 04:28 PM
I think we had 4000 Fans at the MEET THE SOONERS DAY!:D

Fraggle145
12/15/2010, 04:36 PM
A connecticut article indicated that OU isn't going to sell all theirs either. That's surprising if true.

Why? its a game against a ****ty opponent, in a ****ty bowl in the desert. Yes the Fiesta bowl is ****ty, sure as **** isnt the orange bowl. And it seems like every time we go to that ****ty bowl, we get the ****tiest draw of opponent available. Boise, West Virginia, now UConn...

sooner59
12/15/2010, 04:51 PM
Probably a lot of people like me who went to 2 Fiesta Bowls (and MNC game) within in the last several years, have experienced it, spent a lot of money, and are not excited about spending more money in the desert. Not a surprise that some people want to sit this one out. I hate these tie-ins that put certain conferences in certain BCS bowls every year. I wish there was a rotation.

Outopia
12/15/2010, 05:01 PM
Come out here. It is always great here in the Valley of the Sun. I think we will finally win one of these. There is one hell of a New Years Party out in Tempe that is worth going to after we win. You will not be disappointed. I say all this, and watch it rain. It never rains here between October and February. I have seen it rain here the entire month of February (in '04), but it never rains in December/January (crossing fingers). :gary:

nativesooner
12/15/2010, 05:03 PM

Yeah, I keep hearing from folks in Norman that we are having a hard time getting rid of ours... They do have a thing where you can buy tickets to donate to troops if you'd like? Don't know anyone that has actually done that though?

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2010, 05:07 PM
Why? its a game against a ****ty opponent, in a ****ty bowl in the desert. Yes the Fiesta bowl is ****ty, sure as **** isnt the orange bowl. And it seems like every time we go to that ****ty bowl, we get the ****tiest draw of opponent available. Boise, West Virginia, now UConn...

WVU was an elite opponent in '07, but otherwise, correct.

oumartin
12/15/2010, 05:10 PM
how about not charging a ridiculous amount for a ticket. that would help

badger
12/15/2010, 05:15 PM
I wonder if we're forced to buy those tickets if we're an AQ. I mean, I know some schools have promised huge ticket sales and need to eat the difference themselves if they don't sell, but the Fiesta Bowl was REQUIRED to take us... so are we REQUIRED to buy their overpriced tickets (as a school I'm talking, obviously fans aren't required to do shizzle)

usaosooner
12/15/2010, 05:21 PM
Most OU fans I know have bought outside of the University. Same will be said about the UConn fan base... Why pay so much for the tickets

OUthunder
12/15/2010, 05:23 PM

OUthunder
12/15/2010, 05:25 PM

That's probably because the seats being sold thru the OU ticket office suck! I purchased mine elsewhere because I'll be sitting in an aisle, in the middle of the stadium for the same price as the tickets that OU was offering me in the nosebleed section.

humblesooner
12/15/2010, 05:25 PM
Come out here. It is always great here in the Valley of the Sun. I think we will finally win one of these. There is one hell of a New Years Party out in Tempe that is worth going to after we win. You will not be disappointed. I say all this, and watch it rain. It never rains here between October and February. I have seen it rain here the entire month of February (in '04), but it never rains in December/January (crossing fingers). :gary:

Wasn't really impressed with the NYE party when we went (Boise game).
But you said New Year's Party after the game.
Maybe we were just a day early.

TheLadiesMike
12/15/2010, 05:26 PM
I got my $235 face value lower level row 27 tickets for $55 online. I probably overpaid but wanted to have tickets in hand before sinking money on travel and hotel costs.

Widescreen
12/15/2010, 05:29 PM
I wonder if we're forced to buy those tickets if we're an AQ. I mean, I know some schools have promised huge ticket sales and need to eat the difference themselves if they don't sell, but the Fiesta Bowl was REQUIRED to take us... so are we REQUIRED to buy their overpriced tickets (as a school I'm talking, obviously fans aren't required to do shizzle)

Yes, each university is required to sell their allotment or eat the cost themselves (or more appropriately, it comes out of their bowl payout).

Mad Dog Madsen
12/15/2010, 05:29 PM

Well, we're 0-2 against those ****ty opponents...

OUthunder
12/15/2010, 05:33 PM

Interesting how people see things. I see this as a great opportunity to see OU play in a bowl game, no matter how ****ty the bowl or opponent might be. I also assumed with the economy and opponent, that this would be a great time to go and not pay 3x over face value for a ticket. Not only that, it'll be warm and I'll be eating and drinking in my shorts.

You have fun freezing your *** off back home. :D

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2010, 05:41 PM
Interesting how people see things. I see this as a great opportunity to see OU play in a bowl game, no matter how ****ty the bowl or opponent might be. I also assumed with the economy and opponent, that this would be a great time to go and not pay 3x over face value for a ticket. Not only that, it'll be warm and I'll be eating and drinking in my shorts.

Be careful with your half-full glass thing - that leaves room for someone around here to p*ss in it.

StoopTroup
12/15/2010, 05:42 PM
Never drink the p*ss....always drink the other half.

OUthunder
12/15/2010, 05:43 PM
Be careful with your half-full glass thing - that leaves room for someone around here to p*ss in it.

yeah, i'm used to it. :pop:

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2010, 05:44 PM
Never drink the p*ss....always drink the other half.

That's my new motto.

Fraggle145
12/15/2010, 06:00 PM
WVU was an elite opponent in '07, but otherwise, correct.

I wasnt saying their play wasnt elite, I'm talking about the name. I want to play a school with some history. Not some **** school from the state with the fewest teeth in the union (that is an actual fact :D) from the Big Least conference.

Fraggle145
12/15/2010, 06:02 PM
Well, we're 0-2 against those ****ty opponents...

Doesnt change the fact that its the **** end of the draw... Wouldnt you rather play Ohio St, Bama, hell any school with some/any sort of tradition.

Fraggle145
12/15/2010, 06:03 PM

If I could afford the plane tickets/hotel and the time away from my research I would go... Doesnt mean I have to like the fact that we get the shaft in the bowl matchups every year.

OU_Sooners75
12/15/2010, 08:11 PM
Well **** fraggle maybe we should win one of these damn bcs bowls before get a better draw?

What pisses me off is that the big 12 laid down thevrights to play in the orange bowl every year like the big 8 had!

SoonerMom2
12/15/2010, 08:23 PM
Going to the Fiesta Bowl -- had a great time last year at the Sun Bowl because we won. Sure didn't want to put up with the tree or the Stanford band. Just want to win the game and if it is a blowout, I will enjoy it all the more after the last two games. :)

mdklatt
12/15/2010, 08:47 PM
Just heard that UCONN has only sold 4000 of their 17000 tickets lol

To be fair, that's probably all of their football fans. I LOL'd at the bowl projections that had the Orange Bowl picking them over Stanford, although I guess Stanford doesn't have much of a fan base either.

mdklatt
12/15/2010, 08:51 PM
Sure didn't want to put up with the tree or the Stanford band.

I saw Stanford play here during the Women's NCAA opening rounds a few years ago. They brought the worst excuse for a pep band ever. When the Standford players came out on the court the band just kept dicking around and didn't even bother to play the fight song or anything. When they did play anything it had nothing to do what was actually happening on the court.

MamaMia
12/15/2010, 09:14 PM

Winning is fun, but the Fiesta Bowl was a lot of fun for us even though we lost. We stayed in Scottsdale along with thousands of other Sooner fans. The weather was wonderful. The hotel we stayed at, Fire Sky, was so nice. The shopping, the restaurants and the abundance of Gelato shoppes more than made for a fantastic 4 days. :D

Boise and Virginia were good teams to match us up with. They did beat us, but we were capable of beating them. That is a good match up in my book.

StoopTroup
12/15/2010, 09:37 PM
I hear the Beach is huge.

humblesooner
12/16/2010, 09:30 AM

Yeah, but it's a hell of a walk to the water.
:D

OUthunder
12/16/2010, 10:23 AM

No sharks to worry about unless you go to Vegas.

nativesooner
12/16/2010, 11:27 AM
What pisses me off is that the big 12 laid down thevrights to play in the orange bowl every year like the big 8 had!
yep! me too! we might have been heading to Florida to face VT or Stanford instead!

Bourbon St Sooner
12/16/2010, 11:55 AM

Just heard this on the Dan Patrick show. Apparently the schools are not only responsible for their allotment of the tix, but also for filling up a certain number of hotel rooms. They are saying it could cost UCONN $2.5 mln.

FtwTxSooner
12/16/2010, 03:25 PM
At least in the Big 12, the school itself is not responsible for anything. The conference ends up picking up the tab for any shortfall in tickets or hotel rooms.

budbarrybob
12/16/2010, 05:38 PM
Just heard this on the Dan Patrick show. Apparently the schools are not only responsible for their allotment of the tix, but also for filling up a certain number of hotel rooms. They are saying it could cost UCONN $2.5 mln.

I wonder how this could be effectively tracked. Aside from the usual "the government spying" methods.

:gary:

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2010, 05:48 PM
I wonder how this could be effectively tracked. Aside from the usual "the government spying" methods.

Could a coach end of with a negative bonus for winning the conference in order to defray some of the costs of the bowl game?

btb916
12/16/2010, 06:02 PM
Here's a link about UCONN's situation: http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/uconn-begs-fans-to-buy-tix-facing-huge-loss-29342

One thing to consider, though, is that even though UCONN will end up losing out on some money, getting to this game will give them a good bit more recruiting pull in the next few years. So I'm sure the school is still happy to be there.

King Barry's Back
12/16/2010, 11:10 PM

Sale of the ticket allotment is a condition of the contract between the Fiesta Bowl and the Big XII Conference.

If tickets are returned, the Conference will have to cough up the dough, not OU directly.

Of course, if the Big XII rep can't sell out, eventually that means that OU (and the other schools) get less money from the Conference, but at least we are not on the hook for the whole thing.

King Barry's Back
12/16/2010, 11:16 PM
If I could afford the plane tickets/hotel and the time away from my research I would go... Doesnt mean I have to like the fact that we get the shaft in the bowl matchups every year.

Yeah, I'm with you. I'd much rather play the 2nd place team from the Big 10 or SEC than the Little East basketball conference.

What's more exciting? Going up against a 9-3 USC or Ohio State, or say Bama, or an undefeated WAC team like Nevada? Not to mention a four-loss conference "champion."

King Barry's Back
12/16/2010, 11:26 PM
Here's a link about UCONN's situation: http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/uconn-begs-fans-to-buy-tix-facing-huge-loss-29342

One thing to consider, though, is that even though UCONN will end up losing out on some money, getting to this game will give them a good bit more recruiting pull in the next few years. So I'm sure the school is still happy to be there.

I read the article. Thanks for the link. It had some interesting facts, but the author is an idiot.

He seemed to be trying to blame Big 10 Commissioner Delaney for the lack of ticket sales, when in fact Delaney was just pointing out that letting all these lesser football powers into the BCS undermines the whole system - and the lack of ticket sales proves him right.

Also, the author seems certain that Connecticut taxpayer money will go to cover the 2 million dollar shortfall, but he overlooks completely the fact that the Fiesta Bowl payout is something like 15 million dollars. They'll be fine.

OUinFLA
12/16/2010, 11:29 PM

Depends on where "back home" actually is.

OUthunder
12/16/2010, 11:30 PM

ok, you got me on that one. :D

AlbqSooner
12/17/2010, 07:02 AM

So how are those oranges doing?;)

85sooners
12/17/2010, 10:14 AM

homerSimpsonsBrain
12/17/2010, 10:28 AM
They travel in droves:D

They'll get there faster if they travel in planes.

SpankyNek
12/17/2010, 10:43 AM

I like the Fiesta Bowl (Of course the Orange Bowl is better).

We only got shafted due to the rotation of pick order.

Any other year, and we would be playing Ohio St. or Stanford.

West Va wasn't the ****tiest draw in 07-08, that would have been Hawaii.

Fiesta had last pick in 06-07..therefore we got boise.

I want this trophy...the only other ones we need (BCS Era) is the Sugar (Which will now be very hard to get, since you don't get this trophy for BCSCGs any more).

yermom
12/17/2010, 10:44 AM
tickets from OU are $190 for nose bleed seats

no thanks

and i don't buy the no-win thing either

not hearing "lost the last 5 BCS bowls" would make a win over the Citadel work for me :D

3-5 would be a lot better...

as for opponents, with the MNC game in the Fiesta, i guess the Orange might have picked UConn before TCU, but i'm not sure

i still don't get the reasoning for the Rose Bowl rule. has anyone heard one? 2010 Stanford is no 2007 Illinois

SC Sooner
12/17/2010, 10:50 AM

Hey UCONN... welcome to big time football. I personally don't see how the NCAA or Bowl Sponsor could require a school to be responsible for X number of hotel rooms. How could a school possibly control that?

SpankyNek
12/17/2010, 10:58 AM
tickets from OU are $190 for nose bleed seats

no thanks

and i don't buy the no-win thing either

not hearing "lost the last 5 BCS bowls" would make a win over the Citadel work for me :D

3-5 would be a lot better...

as for opponents, with the MNC game in the Fiesta, i guess the Orange might have picked UConn before TCU, but i'm not sure

i still don't get the reasoning for the Rose Bowl rule. has anyone heard one? 2010 Stanford is no 2007 Illinois

The Rose Bowl rule is in effect because by having 2 conference tie ins, the are somewhat immune to having to take the Hawaii's, Boise's, and UConns of the world.

They went with TCU this year, because the probability of the best Non AQ team being as attractive as a #3 TCU is very slim, and they would have had to take a Non AQ in the next 2 years if not this one.

yermom
12/17/2010, 11:06 AM
i thought they had to do it this year, not had the choice over the next few

but the idea that they are immune to the Hawai'is and Boises makes sense

stoopified
12/17/2010, 11:55 AM
If I had the money I'd go.

Soonermagik
12/17/2010, 12:30 PM
Also, the author seems certain that Connecticut taxpayer money will go to cover the 2 million dollar shortfall, but he overlooks completely the fact that the Fiesta Bowl payout is something like 15 million dollars. They'll be fine.

The problem is they have to split that money up amongst the conference. I think they said Uconn will get roughly $2 million of that money. Plus, they have to buy the other tickets and pay for all the costs associated with the trip. I think they are going to lose a lot of money on this deal. This bowl game is a debacle for all involved parties.

soonerbub
12/17/2010, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the money is divided after all expenses--there is no way uconn will have to pay to go to a BCS bowl (OU will probably be short as well)

I Am Right
12/17/2010, 12:53 PM
Out of 17,500 tickets OU has only sold 8,000

yermom
12/17/2010, 12:56 PM
that's because they ones they have are crappy and ~$200

on eBay i have seen them ~$50 for lower bowl

FirstandGoal
12/17/2010, 01:23 PM
As I sit here today recovering from surgery, going isn't even an option.

However, even it if were there's no way I would buy a $200+ crap ticket instead of a $50 nicer ticket even if I had the extra cash to spend.
It makes no sense whatsoever. Hell, even if I lived in Arizona and had no travel expenses, it would be stupid.