humblesooner
12/15/2010, 01:33 PM
Whose word?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/15/2010, 01:35 PM
I don't believe anything The says

bigfatjerk
12/15/2010, 01:39 PM
It was on the radio. Sounds like Cincy's entire staff is getting fired.

SoonerNutt
12/15/2010, 01:40 PM
Good call if true. We need more production out of TE and special teams, and those were his forte while he was here.

Plus, a good recruiter, with some NFL cred to back it up.

If true, I hope he sticks around for a while.

SoonerNutt
12/15/2010, 01:41 PM
It was on the radio. Sounds like Cincy's entire staff is getting fired.

That's probably a good call too. Carson Palmer should be fired too.

Sooner_Bob
12/15/2010, 01:43 PM
The touch of TO strikes again . . .

usaosooner
12/15/2010, 01:58 PM
The touch of TO strikes again . . .

ummmm no it's not TO fault Carson couldn't hit the broadside of a barn this year....

BUT back on topic

Hope it happens:texan:

NormanPride
12/15/2010, 02:09 PM
A good recruiter? The guy hated recruiting. That's one of the main reasons he's in the NFL now.

yermom
12/15/2010, 02:12 PM
ummmm no it's not TO fault Carson couldn't hit the broadside of a barn this year....

BUT back on topic

Hope it happens:texan:

he still likes to drop balls though

i actually wanted TO and 85 to do well this year...

Fraggle145
12/15/2010, 02:13 PM
A good recruiter? The guy hated recruiting. That's one of the main reasons he's in the NFL now.

But was he good at it? :confused:

NormanPride
12/15/2010, 02:16 PM
Hmm... I guess you CAN be good at something you hate...

OUNC06
12/15/2010, 02:16 PM
Best special teams coach ever!!!

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2010, 02:18 PM

Did he really hate it or was that just part of the rationale for taking an NFL job?

SoonerMarkVA
12/15/2010, 02:20 PM
soonersponge said something about this earlier, and if it's the same soonersponge (how many can there be?) from OUI, then he would very likely have good information.

If this is true, I'm very excited.

Does anyone remember in '99, during pre-game how Rob Ryan was hanging around close to Heupel with almost a Les-Miles craziness in his eyes, trying to intimidate him? Then J. Hayes steps in and Ryan runs off like an old stray dog someone pegged with a rock? Good stuff.

WichitaSooner
12/15/2010, 02:20 PM
I heard this rumor days ago... thought it sounded reasonable then too. I think it was right here on this board too...

SoonersEnFuego
12/15/2010, 02:21 PM
He is awesome.

Did anyone else see him on Hard Knocks last year when he kept giving Chase Coffman crap? Him and Roy were my favorite parts of that season.

IndySooner
12/15/2010, 02:23 PM
Hayes ran me off the practice field in '99 when I worked for The Daily. He would be a GREAT addition to the staff, if even for a year.

Taxman71
12/15/2010, 02:26 PM
With Hayes and Shipp on staff, I'll our staff against anyone else in a rumble.

oumartin
12/15/2010, 02:27 PM
you guys are dead wrong. he's going to Texas

Taxman71
12/15/2010, 02:32 PM
you guys are dead wrong. he's going to Texas

That only makes sense to me if he is promised a coordinator job, now or with Mack's successor. OU will pay as well, he's been here and we are in a much better state right now.

IndySooner
12/15/2010, 02:33 PM
That only makes sense to me if he is promised a coordinator job, now or with Mack's successor. OU will pay as well, he's been here and we are in a much better state right now.

Nevermind the fact that he and Bob are good friends.

Taxman71
12/15/2010, 02:34 PM
Nevermind the fact that he and Bob are good friends.

Well that too I guess.

NormanPride
12/15/2010, 02:44 PM
Did he really hate it or was that just part of the rationale for taking an NFL job?

What I heard was that he hated recruiting and hated it in Norman. He supposedly joined the staff thinking it would be heading to Iowa, but Iowa kept downplaying Stoops and courting Ferentz (lololololololololol). When it turned out that he was going to Norman instead he was pissed.

Soonerwake
12/15/2010, 02:47 PM
What I heard was that he hated recruiting and hated it in Norman. He supposedly joined the staff thinking it would be heading to Iowa, but Iowa kept downplaying Stoops and courting Ferentz (lololololololololol). When it turned out that he was going to Norman instead he was pissed.

If even a bit of that is true, I hope he goes somewhere else. :mad:

NormanPride
12/15/2010, 02:49 PM
Well, I don't think he hates us or the coaches... I just think he was pissed he was in Norman rather than Iowa near his wife's family.

oumartin
12/15/2010, 02:55 PM
he loves austin

sooneraia
12/15/2010, 03:00 PM

Give me a break. No one in their right mind would "want" to go to Iowa...........

IndySooner
12/15/2010, 03:04 PM
Give me a break. No one in their right mind would "want" to go to Iowa...........

These kinds of comments crack me up, especially from Okies.

Midtowner
12/15/2010, 03:15 PM

Iowa is effing cold.

Other than that, it's like Oklahoma, but with race cars and corn.

StoopTroup
12/15/2010, 03:36 PM

I'm not sure why....

If I didn't need to live somewhere else to make a living....I'd still be right here. I'd have a pilot's license and/or the money to go anywhere else to visit.

If you weren't born here and you went to School here and then moved Home....then I understand why you'd live somewhere else. Oklahoma and the History of this State is incredible. It's amazing that OUr State has been as successful as it has even after the Land Run, The Oil Bust and now the Murrah Building....but we keep right on trucking.

MeMyself&Me
12/15/2010, 03:37 PM

I'm from OK and have spent considerable time in Iowa. I want to go to OK and don't want to go to Iowa. Am I out of my mind?

For one, I don't have a gear on my car that will drive as slow as they do. Second, it's really ****ing cold there in the winter. I'm getting chills thinking of it. If I had a job that involved being outside as much as a coach, I wouldn't make it.

Why would I want to go to Iowa? Beats me!

StoopTroup
12/15/2010, 03:41 PM
I lived in Michigan for 4 years as a kid and I have some good memories but I've got some bad memories from living there. The good memories are the Great Lakes, The Cider Mills, The Sault Ste Marie locks and dams, a few family trips into Canada, building an igloo, sledding....I'm sure there's a couple of other things...

The entire time I lived there...I couldn't wait until we moved back to Tulsa.

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2010, 03:47 PM
I grew up in OKC and loved living in Norman for my college days. But I couldn't go back since my life revolves around riding my bicycle on the road. I need more mountains/hills and less wind and *far* fewer pick-ups that don't think bikes should be on the road. I've heard that OK is getting much more bike friendly than when I lived there, but nobody has fixed the wind problem. Great place to go visit my folks, though.

StoopTroup
12/15/2010, 03:49 PM
I grew up in OKC and loved living in Norman for my college days. But I couldn't go back since my life revolves around riding my bicycle on the road. I need more mountains/hills and less wind and *far* fewer pick-ups that don't think bikes should be on the road. I've heard that OK is getting much more bike friendly than when I lived there, but nobody has fixed the wind problem. Great place to go visit my folks, though.

Tulsa>OKC :D

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2010, 03:52 PM
Tulsa>OKC :D

You mean bicycle-wise? I can believe that. Certainly it has prettier terrain and enough hills to make it interesting.

85sooners
12/15/2010, 04:21 PM
:eek:

sooneron
12/15/2010, 04:25 PM
I'll believe this when oudavid1 starts a thread giving it up to himself for breaking this...

StoopTroup
12/15/2010, 04:27 PM
You mean bicycle-wise? I can believe that. Certainly it has prettier terrain and enough hills to make it interesting.

:rolleyes:

CobraKai
12/15/2010, 04:38 PM

Yes. It is a cyclist's paradise. That is why biker fox lives in Tulsa. :)

http://www.bikerfox.com/foxphotos3/images/DSCF3483.jpg

StoopTroup
12/15/2010, 04:41 PM
I'm pretty sure BikerFox was born in Boulder to a Family of raccoons.

http://ewpopwatch.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/coon_suspects.jpg

TMcGee86
12/15/2010, 04:46 PM

You forgot the trees. Hills and trees. Let's keep it straight. :D

WichitaSooner
12/15/2010, 05:23 PM
Well, I don't think he hates us or the coaches... I just think he was pissed he was in Norman rather than Iowa near his wife's family.

No chance he was "pissed" or "hated" it here... I know people that live here that don't watch sports and hate football... THEY hate it here, and for good reason...

But, a college football coach?!? There's not a chance in hell that he is even close to either of the two emotions you mention... if he DID feel that strongly about Norman and yet stay here as long as he did the first time... then he's not very smart... And I don't believe that to be true...

IndySooner
12/15/2010, 05:40 PM
I'm from OK and have spent considerable time in Iowa. I want to go to OK and don't want to go to Iowa. Am I out of my mind?

For one, I don't have a gear on my car that will drive as slow as they do. Second, it's really ****ing cold there in the winter. I'm getting chills thinking of it. If I had a job that involved being outside as much as a coach, I wouldn't make it.

Why would I want to go to Iowa? Beats me!

Well, I'm from Iowa and live in Oklahoma. I can promise you, from personal experience, that there's VERY LITTLE difference living anywhere in the midwest. I've lived in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Oklahoma. Everywhere, with the exception of Chicago, was exactly the same. Same people, same culture (with the exception of religion in Oklahoma and southern Indiana), same values, etc.

So, I think it's ignorant for anyone to make those comments. That's all.

stoopified
12/15/2010, 05:41 PM
Personally I have never liked riding bikes UPHILL BUT if ya like that sort of thing,east Oklahoma is for you.Back to the point,If Bob wants Hayes ,that is good enough for me.

ZWIW James Hale just said basically the same thing NP said,that Hayes isn't crazy about recruiting and prefers the NFL.

bigfatjerk
12/15/2010, 05:48 PM
Well, I'm from Iowa and live in Oklahoma. I can promise you, from personal experience, that there's VERY LITTLE difference living anywhere in the midwest. I've lived in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Oklahoma. Everywhere, with the exception of Chicago, was exactly the same. Same people, same culture (with the exception of religion in Oklahoma and southern Indiana), same values, etc.

I think the only reason to hate the northern part of the country is that it's colder this time of year there than in Oklahoma. Today it was like 50s in OKC today. It's probably about 20 degrees in Iowa today

OUthunder
12/15/2010, 05:49 PM
Iowa smells like pig ****.

I've also lived a lot of places and Oklahoma is still my favorite. Great place to live, raise a family, and find a divorced chick who is looking for new summer sausage.

IndySooner
12/15/2010, 05:53 PM
I think the only reason to hate the northern part of the country is that it's colder this time of year there than in Oklahoma. Today it was like 50s in OKC today. It's probably about 20 degrees in Iowa today

It's why I haven't moved back to Chicago. This time of year is always a great reminder as to why I stay here. That and the cost of living, or lack thereof.

IndySooner
12/15/2010, 05:54 PM
Iowa smells like pig ****.

I've also lived a lot of places and Oklahoma is still my favorite. Great place to live, raise a family, and find a divorced chick who is looking for new summer sausage.

As I was always told growing up, "That's the smell of money!"

Mad Dog Madsen
12/15/2010, 05:55 PM
What?

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2010, 05:58 PM
Personally I have never liked riding bikes UPHILL BUT if ya like that sort of thing,east Oklahoma is for you...

It's an acquired taste, sorta like sushi. And the subsequent downhill is a blast.

And yeah, if Hayes wants to come back and Bob wants him to - fine by me.

bigfatjerk
12/15/2010, 06:02 PM
It's why I haven't moved back to Chicago. This time of year is always a great reminder as to why I stay here. That and the cost of living, or lack thereof.
Cost of living probably isn't really that much different in most of Indiana and Iowa also though. Chicago is much higher of course. But that's another good reason. I remember some years in Oklahoma where there really isn't that much of a winter if you can stand 50-60 degree weather. Last year was probably the most snow I remember in the last 15 years or so. But usually there's one little snow storm of a couple inches and that's really all the winter you get.

oldkoot
12/15/2010, 06:44 PM
soonersponge said something about this earlier, and if it's the same soonersponge (how many can there be?) from OUI, then he would very likely have good information.

If this is true, I'm very excited.

Does anyone remember in '99, during pre-game how Rob Ryan was hanging around close to Heupel with almost a Les-Miles craziness in his eyes, trying to intimidate him? Then J. Hayes steps in and Ryan runs off like an old stray dog someone pegged with a rock? Good stuff.

Yes, I remember it well, thanks for bringing that up. If Hayes comes back, it will be great having him here again.

sooner518
12/15/2010, 07:09 PM
It's an acquired taste, sorta like sushi. And the subsequent downhill is a blast.

this makes me miss Denver, except I prefer riding dirt over wearing spandex :D.... and I was not a huge fan of climbing, but you gotta earn your downhills. unless youre shuttling Apex

cleller
12/15/2010, 07:16 PM
I lucked into some great seats behind the OU bench in 1999. When Hayes would come walking down the sidelines the players all stood up straight and shut up. Command presence.
Hope we get him back.

BoulderSooner79
12/15/2010, 07:16 PM
this makes me miss Denver, except I prefer riding dirt over wearing spandex :D.... and I was not a huge fan of climbing, but you gotta earn your downhills. unless youre shuttling Apex

I ride dirt sometimes and still wear my spandex (yet another thing that shows how old I am).

IndySooner
12/15/2010, 08:44 PM
Cost of living probably isn't really that much different in most of Indiana and Iowa also though. Chicago is much higher of course. But that's another good reason. I remember some years in Oklahoma where there really isn't that much of a winter if you can stand 50-60 degree weather. Last year was probably the most snow I remember in the last 15 years or so. But usually there's one little snow storm of a couple inches and that's really all the winter you get.

Housing prices in the OKC metro are MUCH lower than Indy or Des Moines, believe it or not.

And you're right, I love the Oklahoma winters.

People back home always ask me why I stayed. I always say it's just like home, in a little bigger city, with warmer weather. Like I said before, there's really no noticeable difference anywhere you go in the Midwest.

GottaHavePride
12/15/2010, 09:41 PM
Yes. It is a cyclist's paradise. That is why biker fox lives in Tulsa. :)

http://www.bikerfox.com/foxphotos3/images/DSCF3483.jpg

Damn you. Damn you to hell.

StoopTroup
12/15/2010, 09:42 PM
Did you just get that ghey feeling?

MeMyself&Me
12/15/2010, 10:26 PM

So you're ignorant if you make comments about why you don't want to live in Iowa versus Oklahoma based on personal experience? :rolleyes:

Piware
12/15/2010, 11:55 PM
Hayes drove me nuts when he played for the KC Chiefs. I was stunned when I got to move back to Oklahoma and saw him on our sideline coaching. I would have know that bald head anywhere. The same man that I had cussed for dropped balls in KC made me a believer when he was coaching here. Hope he comes back!

picasso
12/16/2010, 12:58 AM
This would be great if true. First order is to change that God awful kickoff formation we've adopted.

LostCreekSooner
12/16/2010, 06:37 AM
Not sure if this thread is about Hayes, Iowa vs Oklahoma, or bicycling?

Hayes would be a great addition. We would probably need a lot of things to fall into place. Seems unlikely that he would come back as a special teams / position coach... I would suspect he would get a better opportunity somewhere else.

Iowa vs Oklahoma. Sigh. Your job / family is far more important than 'where' you live. The only thing 'where you live' effects is your hobbies.

Onto bicycling. I actually preferred OKC to Tulsa for road biking. Easier to get away from traffic and easier to vary terrain. (Rolling hills one day, flat another... loved the wind for down-wind race pace.) Austin is very similar to Tulsa... just more traffic and bigger / longer hills.

CobraKai
12/16/2010, 10:31 AM
Damn you. Damn you to hell.

Sorry. I guess it is impossible to "un-see" this image.

BoulderSooner79
12/16/2010, 10:44 AM
Onto bicycling. I actually preferred OKC to Tulsa for road biking. Easier to get away from traffic and easier to vary terrain. (Rolling hills one day, flat another... loved the wind for down-wind race pace.) Austin is very similar to Tulsa... just more traffic and bigger / longer hills.

Finally, some information I can use! ;)

SoonerMom2
12/16/2010, 12:11 PM
Having lived on both coasts including New England and the center part of the country including Ohio and Texas, I will choose Norman, OK, over any other place we have lived or traveled. Love Orlando and SoCal for vacation but wouldn't want to move back to SoCal. Norman is much better than living in a town split between Aggies and Longhorns.

Oklahoma and Norman is #1 in my book! We have the best sports radio with KREF unlike some of the sportstalk I heard going to and come back from visiting family in Fort Collins! Refuse to listen to the other anti-OU station here! :)

MikeInNorman
12/16/2010, 12:34 PM
Jonathan Hayes and his family liked Norman very much and have been back to visit many times. They still have many friends on the staff. Hayes loves the pro game, and when he had a chance to coach in Cincinnati with his brother Jay for his friend Marvin Lewis, it was an offer he couldn't pass up.

If the axe falls on the Bengal staff, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Jon Hayes return.

King Barry's Back
12/16/2010, 05:07 PM
Iowa is effing cold.

Other than that, it's like Oklahoma, but with race cars and corn.

Yeah, no s**t. I can certainly understand that Oklahoma is not everyone's garden spot, but Iowa's got nothing on us but cold.