PDA

View Full Version : Is Muschamp Florida's Version of Bob Stoops?

Wishboned
12/15/2010, 10:34 AM
This guy has such a man crush on Stoops.

And the answer is no. There is only one...Bob Stoops.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/gators/os-bianchi-florida-will-muschamp-20101214,0,3686077.column

GAINESVILLE – When this all started, we all thought athletic director Jeremy Foley may finally convince Bob Stoops to become the head coach of the Florida Gators, and you know what?

I'm starting to wonder if that's not exactly what Foley did.

Could it be that he has hired The Ghost of Stoopsy Past – a hot, young assistant who many in the profession, including Foley, believe is destined for coaching greatness?

Foley proudly unveiled his next-generation version of Stoops to Gator Nation Tuesday, except there was one catch. His name is Will Muschamp.

"I see a lot of the same things in Will that I saw in a young Bobby Stoops," Foley says decisively. "… Let me tell you something, this guy is ready to be a head coach. He is NOT a gamble."

Sign up for our new Varsity Sports newsletter and get high school sports updates delivered right to your inbox.

Many critics believe Muschamp, who has never before been a head coach, is a monumental reach, but Foley strongly disagrees. He says Muschamp is no more of a reach than Stoops was when he was the defensive coordinator at Florida and the hottest assistant coach in the country. Now, a dozen years later, Muschamp, too, is a highly successful defensive coordinator and the hottest assistant coach in the country.

And then there is this: Muschamp is 39 years old -- the same age Stoops was when Oklahoma hired him as a rookie head coach.

Granted, it's a bit of a stretch to compare the unproven Muschamp to Stoops, who has won more games over the last decade than anybody in major college football. The fact is nobody knows if Muschamp will turn into a great head coach, but we do know this after Tuesday: He gives a great press conference.

Muschamp introduced himself to Florida fans Tuesday with a decisive, confident address that was as animated and caffeinated as a triple shot of 5-Hour Energy. Muschamp seems to have found all of the passion and enthusiasm that Urban Meyer lost somewhere during his brilliant-but-brief six years as UF's coach.

It's a good thing Muschamp is fired up because he will need to be. Let's face it, when Muschamp's introductory press conference was over Tuesday so was his honeymoon. You see, there is no honeymoon when you elope, and that's essentially what Foley did. He eloped in the middle of the night last week and came back three days later with a surprise bride. And, frankly, Gator fans are sort of like the suspicious mother-in-law. They want desperately to like the new bride, but they just aren't sure.

How can they be? Foley came back home to Gainesville with a new coach who is a former Georgia Bulldog captain and who is close friends with Florida State's head coach. You want to talk about literally sleeping with the enemy. Muschamp and FSU coach Jimbo Fisher, who worked side by side as coordinators on Nick Saban's national championship coaching staff at LSU, co-own a beach house together in Panama City.

"I suffered temporary insanity," Muschamp cracked. "We bought the beach house together. We haven't negotiated yet what's going to happen to it."

Muschamp seems to understand that he needs to tear a page from the playbook of his old old buddy Jimbo, who hit the ground running in his first year at Florida State. Muschamp grew up a Gator in Gainesville. He knows he is stepping into a meat grinder that chewed up Meyer and spit him out after six years.

"We're not a five-year plan here," Muschamp said. "We understand the expectations at Florida, and the expectations are to win championships."

Like I said, it was a great first press conference. Gator fans will tell you now how they are enthralled and excited about Muschamp. They will tell you how they trust the instincts of Foley, arguably the best AD in country. They will tell you that the engaged, enlivened Muschamp is just what UF needs to re-energize its program.

But none of this rhetoric matters. None of the media criticism matters. None of what was said at the press conference matters. All that matters is what happens next season when Tennessee, Florida State and Alabama come to Gainesville.

In this state, nothing matters except what happens on Saturday. Ask Randy Shannon, who was just fired at Miami even though he had spectacular graduation rate. Ask Ron Zook, who was fired after only 2 1/2 seasons at Florida. Ask Bobby Bowden, who was fired after 33 years at Florida State.

And what will become of Will Muschamp?

"I really believe he is going to be special," Foley says,

But only time will tell.

Check back in three years.

Only then will we know if this is a Stoops hire or a stupid hire.

mgsooner
12/15/2010, 10:44 AM
Apples and oranges. If Muschamp wins a NC at Florida in his second (or even first) year it will be nothing close to what Bob did at OU. Taking over the Florida program in it's current state versus taking over OU in 99 is about as different as night and day.

madillsoonerfan5353
12/15/2010, 10:47 AM
:gary:

KantoSooner
12/15/2010, 11:00 AM
I would agree that there are some superficial comparisons to be made between the two. The biggest contrast, however, is in manner. Mudchump seems out of control much of the time; sort of a Pelini rage-o-hol junkie. Bob can be passionate, but seems to know how to turn it on or off. A head coach is a manager as much as anything else. I just don't see Willy being able to manage others when he can't control himself.

Sooner in Tampa
12/15/2010, 11:01 AM
****in people in Florida are CONVINCED if Foley would have asked...Stoops would be the HC for the Gaytors right now.

IDIOTS!!!

oumartin
12/15/2010, 11:10 AM
I'm hoping he's Ron Zook

OUNC06
12/15/2010, 11:14 AM
Most coaches that come from defensivive backgrounds tend to be conservative head coaches. They like to run the ball, shorten the game an win with the defense.

Stoops was innovative in that he did the opposite. His teams played great defense, but they ran a wide open passing attack. One National Championship and Seven Conference Championships later his decision has proven to be correct.

Can Muschamp have great success at Florida? Yes, but there is only one Bob Stoops.

fadada1
12/15/2010, 11:18 AM
have they not seen the house stoops is building in NORMAN???????

you know, i spent 2 years at UF, and from all accounts they love the gators as much as we love our SOONERS, but they've gone off the deep end a touch since stoops left and became successful. in that time, they're working on their 4th coach (including spurrier's last 2 years at UF). they almost have a notre dame attitude going, thinking "how could anyone turn us down". their success (in all athletics) appears to be going to their heads. outside of the last 15 years, the only thing they truly excelled in was swimming. i love competitve swimming, but it doesn't seem to put butts in the seats.

sooner518
12/15/2010, 11:18 AM
****in people in Florida are CONVINCED if Foley would have asked...Stoops would be the HC for the Gaytors right now.

IDIOTS!!!

hahaha do they realize that Foley has asked 3 times over the past 10 years and every time, Bob has turned them down. get a clue

Xunil
12/15/2010, 11:20 AM
When this all started, we all thought athletic director Jeremy Foley may finally convince Bob Stoops to become the head coach of the Florida Gators, and you know what?

A disaster of an opening sentence. Is this from the local high school paper?

Sooner in Tampa
12/15/2010, 11:22 AM
hahaha do they realize that Foley has asked 3 times over the past 10 years and every time, Bob has turned them down. get a clue
I know...they are delusional...Gaytor players are even tweeting that they thought they were getting Stoops :rolleyes:

rekamrettuB
12/15/2010, 11:38 AM
"I see a lot of the same things in Will that I saw in a young Bobby Stoops," Foley says decisively. "… Let me tell you something, this guy is ready to be a head coach. He is NOT a gamble."

He says Muschamp is no more of a reach than Stoops was when he was the defensive coordinator at Florida and the hottest assistant coach in the country. Now, a dozen years later, Muschamp, too, is a highly successful defensive coordinator and the hottest assistant coach in the country.

Firstly, he's never been a head coach. He IS a gamble. Secondly, it's more of a reach than Stoops because Florida won a NC two and four seasons ago. OU was staring at four .500 or below seasons in a row. OU could take that gamble cause if it didn't work...no big deal. OU couldn't pull a top notch HC then like Florida should have been able to do now.

Soonermagik
12/15/2010, 11:56 AM
He went 5-7 this year as DC at *. He was the one calling the plays with all that "talent" and managed to get smoked by Baylor, Iowa State and UCLA @ home!!! Why Florida wanted him is beyond me.

Now, if the guy had managed to shore up their defense and get better then I could see it. Stoops did better playing with 3rd string guys last year than Muschump did with 1st string "super stars". Call me crazy, but this guy in no way resembles Stoops.

NormanPride
12/15/2010, 12:04 PM
Yeah, Texas had tons of talent on D this year and they blew chunks. Their O didn't help, but damn their D didn't either.

soonerhubs
12/15/2010, 12:15 PM
I keep clicking on your link and starting new threads. Is that what you wanted?

Should I stop when I fill the first page?
:)

Benchfire StoGunWilpel For Heismead Coastarting QuarterLineman!!!

That was my latest thread idea... ;)

Soonerwake
12/15/2010, 12:19 PM
Does anyone really believe that Stoops was ever a real candidate at UF? I know the aggots in the office are convinced that he was gone, but couldn't work out a deal.

And as far as Muschamp, I think he could be a good HC. It all depends on who he puts around him and how he manages the overall operation. Being a good coordinator does not make him a good HC, different skillsets to a degree. But, just like at Texas, it's about recruiting and Florida has the built in advantage of being in the same state with 100's of D1 players.

Wishboned
12/15/2010, 12:19 PM
I keep clicking on your link and starting new threads. Is that what you wanted?

Should I stop when I fill the first page?
:)

Benchfire StoGunWilpel For Heismead Coastarting QuarterLineman!!!

That was my latest thread idea... ;)

ooops. Brainfart!
:O

TahoeSOONER
12/15/2010, 12:21 PM
Apparently they failed to look at Mushmouths defense last year at *.

fadada1
12/15/2010, 12:23 PM
lemme tell you something about the f-ing pokes....

they want desperately to have stoops gone because they think it will improve their chances of closing the gap in the series. it KILLS them to lose and they would rather have stoops leave than beat us on the field. that being said, they would sell their own, their children's, and every generation thereafter's soul to jerry jones and boone pickens and their sidekick, satan, to have stoops as their coach.

soonerinabilene
12/15/2010, 12:43 PM
lemme tell you something about the f-ing pokes....

they want desperately to have stoops gone because they think it will improve their chances of closing the gap in the series. it KILLS them to lose and they would rather have stoops leave than beat us on the field. that being said, they would sell their own, their children's, and every generation thereafter's soul to jerry jones and boone pickens and their sidekick, satan, to have stoops as their coach.

Yeah im not seeing a 70 game losing streak happening.

Sooner_Tuf
12/15/2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah im not seeing a 70 game losing streak happening.

Yeah well not for OU anyway. It's not seventy years but look at the series from like 1934-1994. That will make you chuckle. The pokes have something like four wins in sixty years.

SoonerMarkVA
12/15/2010, 02:23 PM
Uh, I could have reduced that article considerably.

GAINESVILLE – no.

Taxman71
12/15/2010, 02:27 PM
I look forward to * fans screaming for "their guy" Muschamp to "come home" every time Mack or his successor lays an egg for the next 12 years.

mdklatt
12/15/2010, 07:46 PM
In that he is the head football coach, yes.

SoonerMom2
12/15/2010, 08:10 PM
Was in Fort Collins, CO, visiting family for an early Christmas over the weekend and drive to FC on Thurs/Fri, various sports radio commentators referenced Bobby Stoops over and over again as he was going to FL. Then one of the commentators told them they were nuts to think he would leave the Sooners to go to Florida because whether people like it or not Oklahoma is a better program. Wish I would have gotten his name.

Coming back to Norman, it was all about how Tebow is still not ready for the NFL but then when they drafted him they didn't expect him to play in 2010 or 2011, but hoped he would be ready by 2012. Denver Sports said he cannot throw much down field, moves very slow, and doesn't have a feel for the NFL which is much faster then what he played at FL. Cracked up laughing every time I heard it as the fans in Denver are begging for Tebow but one of the guys said the owner doesn't want to showcase Tebow since he gave up three picks for him.

Then they would go back back to OU prepared Sam Bradford better than FL did Tebow until some caller finally said that maybe Bradford was a much better player to begin with and could handle the NFL much better and that Tebow would make a better fullback then quarterback. It was not a positive on the FL program with Tebow. Loved every minute of it.

bluedogok
12/15/2010, 09:03 PM
As a Broncos fan I wish they would start playing Tebow....just so everyone can see what a bad first round pick he was. The sooner they play him and find out he is only an H-Back/Tight End type of player that should have been a very late round draft pick the sooner they can move on.

StoopTroup
12/15/2010, 09:34 PM
I remember when folks talked about how Mark Richt was going to bring a MNC to Georgia too.

Muschamp didn't bring tejas a MNC....it was Vince Young.:rolleyes: :texan: :pop:

LiveLaughLove
12/15/2010, 10:32 PM
The UT fans thought he was the second coming of the second coming.....until he left them.

Now a lot of them say he's not ready, he's too hotheaded, he doesn't do public speaking well, he isn't a politician like Mack, etc.

Funny how perspective changes when his home changes.

I think he is a good coach, not sure he is a great coach, but we will find out soon.

bluedogok
12/15/2010, 10:57 PM
Mack being a politician may be the biggest issue they have. Most schools don't require someone to be a politician to be an effective head coach. I know you have to play politics some but the fact that is is a necessity at UT means there is ineffective leadership, to me a "politician" is the last thing you should have as a head coach.

Piware
12/15/2010, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=Soonerwake;3084646]Does anyone really believe that Stoops was ever a real candidate at UF? I know the aggots in the office are convinced that he was gone, but couldn't work out a deal.

While they were slobbering over the prospect of Bob leaving, their OC packed up and booked it for West Va. LOL!

stoopified
12/15/2010, 11:55 PM
I'm thinking Gary Gibbs

EatLeadCommie
12/16/2010, 12:07 AM
Muschamp is a goofball. He's ron zook without the brain. All brawn, no brains. No ability to organize at the HC level. He'll be a micromanaging failure.

hawaii 5-0
12/16/2010, 01:40 AM
Interesting take. Both coaches were well-respected Defensive Coordinators.

Tho he had some decent players, Stoops inherited a losing program and quickly turned them into champions.

We'll see what Muschamp can do with those 5 star athletes he inherited.

5-0

rainiersooner
12/16/2010, 02:06 AM
Bob has longevity. Seriously, he has been successful for a very long time.

Leroy Lizard
12/16/2010, 04:45 AM
Mack being a politician may be the biggest issue they have. Most schools don't require someone to be a politician to be an effective head coach. I know you have to play politics some but the fact that is is a necessity at UT means there is ineffective leadership, to me a "politician" is the last thing you should have as a head coach.

Tell that to Mike Leach. :D

Okie35
12/16/2010, 05:31 AM
Apples and oranges. If Muschamp wins a NC at Florida in his second (or even first) year it will be nothing close to what Bob did at OU. Taking over the Florida program in it's current state versus taking over OU in 99 is about as different as night and day.

Nailed it.

Leroy Lizard
12/16/2010, 05:42 AM
We've established that OU in '99 is not Florida in '10, but are the coaches similar?

Time will tell. Frankly, I wonder if Will has the temperament to be a head coach. Like Ditka, such types are fine only as long as things are going well (in which case they are still insufferable).

BigTip
12/16/2010, 11:40 PM
Don't remember where I read it, but it was addressing the "no head coaching experience, Foley is really going out on a limb..etc." talk.

If Muschamp took over from Mack, nobody would have said a thing about his not having any head coach experience. And allegedly, * is just as much a big time program as Florida.

I did say allegedly.

AlboSooner
12/16/2010, 11:42 PM
No. He is Florida's version of Gary Gibbs. He is more a Mike Stoops than a Bob Stoops.

King Barry's Back
12/17/2010, 12:10 AM
I'd say Urban Meyers was FL's Bob Stoops.

They both won national championships early. They both made it back to the big game (Urban even won again.) They kept their team among the elite, with an occasional off year.

OUmillenium
12/17/2010, 09:49 AM
Muschump will last 3 seasons then done (not sure how, resign/buyout/whatever).

Might see a resurgence in the Florida St program if Fl goes on the decline.