PDA

View Full Version : WTF does a lack of a penis translate to mechanics as "stupid"?!

soonerloyal
12/14/2010, 04:55 PM
I need some advice from SF car-types. :mad: Possibly need y'all to hold me back from kicking some major azz, too.

I'm driving a '97 Nissan Altima (oh, shut up. I like him ;) ). He started overheating and I noticed coolant leaking far back from the radiator, so I figured hose, thermostat - prayed it wasn't the water pump.

Took it to Tuffy, who'd done some work for us before. Although I thought they were way overcharging us before, hubby said to have them diagnose it anyway. They know I have two Marine sons and one is a Motor T mechanic, and they suspect I'm much meaner than first glance suggests. But I digress.

Long story short, they call me today...tell me it's the heater bypass hose and the thermostat (I called it, yay me). They also suggested I "have the cooling system flushed because it's dirty". Diagnostic ($39.99), one hour labor ($85) and "Uh, Ma'am, you're looking at 402.XX."

What. The. F***.

Hose ($1.49), Thermostat ($7.99), Diagnostic ($39.99), One hour Labor ($85).

Lack of Penis...$267.XX??????????????????????????

I'm using words my Jarheads wouldn't dare. I'm so pissed right now I can barely breathe. I'm ready to go down there & rip their heads off and shi...well, you get the idea.

I think we can replace the hose and thermostat ourselves, although I will wait till it warms up in a few days.

Somebody please tell me the best way to handle this. I'm just so sick of seeing the worst in people and having it bring out the worst in me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go yell into a pillow until I'm not seeing red any more.

TIA. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The
12/14/2010, 04:56 PM
You should make your husband a sandwich.

soonerloyal
12/14/2010, 04:59 PM
You should make your husband a sandwich.

You're closer to the kitchen, make me one while you're making his. :cool:

The
12/14/2010, 05:04 PM
You're closer to the kitchen, make me one while you're making his. :cool:

No, I'm at work. You shouldn't be out of the kitchen in the first place.

soonerloyal
12/14/2010, 05:08 PM
Get off the boss's computer and get back out front. The fries are going to burn.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2010, 05:11 PM
wow...I would love to see that itemized bill

The
12/14/2010, 05:13 PM
Get off the boss's computer and get back out front. The fries are going to burn.

You really shouldn't be driving anyway. It's just another unnecessary expense for your husband.

JohnnyMack
12/14/2010, 05:15 PM
Cooking. Cleaning. Vaginas.

Nope. Don't see anything there about auto mechanicary.

soonerloyal
12/14/2010, 05:30 PM
Great women like me are worth every bit of $$$$$$.

And Johnny...it's auto mechanics. Your penis isn't worth much, is it hon?

Y'all are fun!

olevetonahill
12/14/2010, 05:44 PM
I need some advice from SF car-types. :mad: Possibly need y'all to hold me back from kicking some major azz, too.

I'm driving a '97 Nissan Altima (oh, shut up. I like him ;) ). He started overheating and I noticed coolant leaking far back from the radiator, so I figured hose, thermostat - prayed it wasn't the water pump.

Took it to Tuffy, who'd done some work for us before. Although I thought they were way overcharging us before, hubby said to have them diagnose it anyway. They know I have two Marine sons and one is a Motor T mechanic, and they suspect I'm much meaner than first glance suggests. But I digress.

Long story short, they call me today...tell me it's the heater bypass hose and the thermostat (I called it, yay me). They also suggested I "have the cooling system flushed because it's dirty". Diagnostic ($39.99), one hour labor ($85) and "Uh, Ma'am, you're looking at 402.XX."

What. The. F***.

I'm using words my Jarheads wouldn't dare. I'm so pissed right now I can barely breathe. I'm ready to go down there & rip their heads off and shi...well, you get the idea.

I think we can replace the hose and thermostat ourselves, although I will wait till it warms up in a few days.

Somebody please tell me the best way to handle this. I'm just so sick of seeing the worst in people and having it bring out the worst in me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go yell into a pillow until I'm not seeing red any more.

TIA. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yup ya can do it yerself for way less. But keep in mind the shop is going to mark up the price of Parts.Plus you are not figuring in the Cost of flushing the Cooling system and new Anti freeze.

Now Any shop worth a shat will refund the cost of Diagnosing if you let them do the repairs.

If i was still running my shop I would charge maybe 150. to 200 to do what ya need done .

OUHOMER
12/14/2010, 05:47 PM
Sounds like they are charging you for 4 hours labor at $85. plus the cost of the new coolant..

Still a little steep

yermom
12/14/2010, 05:53 PM
it's more like "lack of doing it yourself, $267"

btk108
12/14/2010, 06:20 PM
If i was still running my shop I would charge maybe 150. to 200 to do what ya need done .

Prostituting again, are ya?

JohnnyMack
12/14/2010, 06:29 PM
Great women like me are worth every bit of $$$$$$.

And Johnny...it's auto mechanics. Your penis isn't worth much, is it hon?

Y'all are fun!

Less talking.

More cooking.

C&CDean
12/14/2010, 07:18 PM
I'm a car guy, but you're a ****ing liberal. Therefore, bend over and take the POS mechanic's ****ing. Why? Cause you deserve it. Is your mechanic a white guy? Good. You deserve it even more. Bet if he had "color" you'd be OK with his price. Meh.

OUHOMER
12/14/2010, 07:20 PM
I hate when Dean holds back.

soonerloyal
12/14/2010, 08:41 PM
And here I was having a great time laughing at the posts and feeling so much better. The mechanic is Hispanic, Dean. But as usual, it's all about the fear of The Big Bad Brown Man, isn't it? And the Right says "It's not about race". Then why is it the first thing brought up? The Ultra-Conservative sphincter around here jerks tight so fast it's a wonder you all don't need to gargle with Preparation H. You're too touchy, sweetheart. I'll ask Santa to bring you a sense of humor for Christmas. Jesus. Or should I say Haysoos?

BTW I don't bend over for anyone. Thanks, OleVet. Glad someone knows how to put their thang to good use. ;)

Hope you & yours are well, Dean. Stay safe & healthy. Merry Christmas, dear.

A Sooner in Texas
12/14/2010, 09:19 PM
And here I was having a great time laughing at the posts and feeling so much better. The mechanic is Hispanic, Dean. But as usual, it's all about the fear of The Big Bad Brown Man, isn't it? And the Right says "It's not about race". Then why is it the first thing brought up? The Ultra-Conservative sphincter around here jerks tight so fast it's a wonder you all don't need to gargle with Preparation H. You're too touchy, sweetheart. I'll ask Santa to bring you a sense of humor for Christmas. Jesus. Or should I say Haysoos?

BTW I don't bend over for anyone. Thanks, OleVet. Glad someone knows how to put their thang to good use. ;)

Best. Reply. Ever.
:D

Hope you get that car fixed without too much trouble or cost.

AlbqSooner
12/14/2010, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=soonerloyal;3084094]BTW I don't bend over for anyone. Thanks, OleVet. Glad someone knows how to put their thang to good use. ;) [/TongueInCheek][QUOTE]

Ima thinkin it ain't your tongue he wants in your cheek. Jus sayin;)

pphilfran
12/15/2010, 09:58 AM
If you have one hose that has gone bad you probably need to change all the other hoses...

Also, while they are at it look at replacing the belt/belts if they have never been changed....

C&CDean
12/15/2010, 10:01 AM

1. I was raised in Tucson. I don't fear Mexicans. When I was a vehicle maintenance shop foreman almost every mechanic I supervised was Mexican.
2. You were trying to be funny? Oh, my bad.
3. I was trying to be funny too. Oh, your bad.
4. I ain't your "dear."
5. Merry Christmas to you too.

Veritas
12/15/2010, 11:10 AM
Well, you could have said, "could you explain how you got to that figure."

Or you could post on a message board and bitch about it, then scream into a pillow.

I usually go with the first, but hey, I know how women love to bitch.

:ducks:

Kimberlyz4OU
12/15/2010, 10:44 PM
I'd say that you say the exact same thing that you said in your first post.....just ask him how he came to that figure. If you don't like his answer, tell him and take your car and tell him to kiss your ***

Let me know how this goes; I've been there too. My "mechanic" was a woman (service manager) who thought I just fell off the turnip truck. Yeah, that didn't end well......

StoopTroup
12/16/2010, 12:47 PM
My first thought was "Did you have to have it towed in there?".

If you have to have it towed back Home just tell them you are just going to have it picked up and taken to the crusher. If they tell you they'll buy it from you....tell them you'll sell it to them for $10,000.00-402.00.

Then just have it towed Home. :D