PDA

View Full Version : What the crap is WV doing?

SoonerNutt
12/14/2010, 12:27 PM
Hiring Holgorsen as OC-HCIW with the HC job guaranteed in 2012?

Only way I see this happening is if Stewart has expressed a desire to retire. No way you fire a guy for winning 9 games a year, and then force him to train his replacement for a year. Nothing good could come from that.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/26440426

Landthief 1972
12/14/2010, 12:29 PM
I thought the HCIW stuff was pretty much done, because the NCAA was going to put head coach restrictions on any HCIW's recruiting. ESPN had 3-4 stories all about the "death of HCIW."

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2010, 12:32 PM
yeah...stewart must want out

mgsooner
12/14/2010, 12:33 PM
West Virginia is similar to Texas Tech - they have a much higher opinion of their program than they should have.

madillsoonerfan5353
12/14/2010, 12:36 PM
OOO.... When I read the thread title I thought it was about firing OUr DC. I thought there must have been a typo! Nothing to see here!!!:D

:gary:

3rdgensooner
12/14/2010, 12:40 PM
Someone on orangepower is saying he got a text from newsok that this is a done deal.

Sooner in Tampa
12/14/2010, 12:43 PM
Stewart was rumored to be retiring when this past season ended...me thinks he really is done.

Whet
12/14/2010, 12:44 PM
oh!

Report: OSU offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen headed to West Virginia

A newspaper in Charleston, W. Va., is reporting that OSU offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen has accepted a position at West Virginia that would make him the Mountaineers offensive coordinator next season and the head coach in 2012-13.

FROM STAFF REPORTS Oklahoman http://s3.amazonaws.com/content.newsok.com/newsok/images/comment_icon.gif 1 (http://newsok.com/article/3523589#disqus_thread) Published: December 14, 2010

According to the Charleston (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Charleston&CATEGORY=CITY) (W.Va.) Gazette, Oklahoma State (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Oklahoma+State+University&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Dana+Holgorsen&CATEGORY=PERSON) has been hired to run the West Virginia University (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=West+Virginia+Mountaineers+%28Football%2 9&CATEGORY=ORGANIZATION) offense next season and then become the team's head coach in 2012-13.
http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1297361/medium (http://s3.amazonaws.com/newsok-photos/1297361/medium.jpg)
OSU's Dana Holgorsen argues a call during the college football game between the Oklahoma State Cowboys (OSU) and the Nebraska Huskers (NU) at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, Okla., Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010. Photo by Sarah Phipps, The Oklahoman

Multimedia

Photoview all photos (http://newsok.com/report-osu-offensive-coordinator-dana-holgorsen-headed-to-west-virginia/multimedia/photos/gallery/3523589/1/)

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/1297361/sq60/ (http://newsok.com/report-osu-offensive-coordinator-dana-holgorsen-headed-to-west-virginia/multimedia/photos/gallery/3523589/1/1297361?custom_click=email_multimedia_gallery)
Report: OSU offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen headed to West Virginia (http://newsok.com/report-osu-offensive-coordinator-dana-holgorsen-headed-to-west-virginia/multimedia/photos/gallery/3523589/1)

Related content

Links

Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette link
(http://www.wvgazette.com/latest/201012140659)
The Gazette credited anonymous sources for the information.
According to the report, current West Virginia head coach Bill Stewart (http://newsok.com/keysearch/?er=1&CANONICAL=Bill+Stewart&CATEGORY=PERSON) has agreed to stay on for one more year and then turn things over to Holgorsen.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Read more: http://newsok.com/report-osu-offensive-coordinator-dana-holgorsen-headed-to-west-virginia/article/3523589#ixzz186pP418L

Partial Qualifier
I'm not Nostradamus, but when I envision that guy milling about the sidelines as a head coach, all I see is fail.

SoonerNutt
Someone on orangepower is saying he got a text from newsok that this is a done deal.

Unbeleivable. With what went down at UT and now this (assuming it's true) makes this the weirdest coaching carousel season evar.

Sooner in Tampa
12/14/2010, 12:45 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA...POKE CHOKE!!!

3rdgensooner
12/14/2010, 12:46 PM
I'm not Nostradamus, but when I envision that guy milling about the sidelines as a head coach, all I see is fail.Mountaineer style

deweydw
12/14/2010, 12:46 PM
While watching 30 on 30 last night on ESPN2. On the news ticker at the bottom, ESPN was reporting that Holgorson was going to Pitt to replace Dave Wannastat.

Looks like next year won't be the Pokes year either.

unbiasedtruth
12/14/2010, 12:47 PM
I just read on an espn blog that regarless if WV win or loses its bowl game, Bill Stewart is gone. The AD and Pres cant decide whether his termination needs to come before or after the bowl game

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 12:48 PM
Bill Stewart was never a popular choice to take over for Rich Rod - at least not from the inside power brokers. I wonder if he's cut a deal to become AD or some sort of golden parachute retirement package. Even though they won 9 games this year, they had the talent to clean up in the weak bigeast.

mgsooner
12/14/2010, 12:52 PM
There's no way Stewart gets the job if we don't lay an egg in the Fiesta. I know that a lot of big time WVU boosters were almost rooting against the team so Stewart would not get the job.

badger
12/14/2010, 01:00 PM
The thing about Dana was that he wasn't going to stay in Stilly. He was living in a hotel room (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20100910_93_B8_ULNSed275525&archive=yes) this season. Gundy said he wanted to retain him, but also said that he'd help Dana become a head coach when he wanted (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20101109_93_B1_STILLW337035&archive=yes). Gundy probably is not leaving the Pokes, so there's no head coaching vacancy in Stilly for the near future... and I guess Dana wants to become a head coach by next season?

West Virginia isn't the worst place in the world to land. The Big East isn't competitive for the most part and basketball defers to fan interest away from football if your season gets tough.

picasso
12/14/2010, 01:05 PM
It's a good move for him. BCS conference with lousy competition.

I Am Right
12/14/2010, 01:06 PM
AS long as osux feels screwed then I am for it

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2010, 01:06 PM
if I could get a HC job in the big east right now, I would jump all over it..

sperry
12/14/2010, 01:07 PM
The whole thing is so awkward. What if Bill Stewart goes 11-1 next year, wins the Big East, and wins a BCS game, and decides, Gee I don't really want to retire. Does the team fire him after a really succesful year?

Same scenario, they put up ridiculous offensive numbers, and a better job comes calling and you have Stewart who is supposed to step down, and Holgersen decides he'd rather be coach at Michigan, or Oregon, or wherever.

picasso
12/14/2010, 01:10 PM
The whole thing is so awkward. What if Bill Stewart goes 11-1 next year, wins the Big East, and wins a BCS game, and decides, Gee I don't really want to retire. Does the team fire him after a really succesful year?

Same scenario, they put up ridiculous offensive numbers, and a better job comes calling and you have Stewart who is supposed to step down, and Holgersen decides he'd rather be coach at Michigan, or Oregon, or wherever.

So then he pulls a Muschamp and leaves town. I don't see the big deal. It's bidness.

yankee
12/14/2010, 01:23 PM
West Virginia is similar to Texas Tech - they have a much higher opinion of their program than they should have.

except isn't WVU one of the top 25 winningest programs of all time?

sooneron
12/14/2010, 01:43 PM
It's a good move for him. BCS conference with lousy competition.

This ^. Wilson was foolish moving to a horrible football school in the bigtenelvenelve. He could have waited out one of the big lEast openings.

mgsooner
12/14/2010, 01:46 PM

Their all time winning percentage is .600 even. I'd say Stewart's record over the past 3 years is right in line with that.

85sooners
12/14/2010, 01:59 PM
Hahahaha

CrimsonRez
12/14/2010, 02:00 PM
Poke Meltdown in 3....2.....1....

badger
12/14/2010, 02:02 PM
Poke Meltdown in 3....2.....1....

That was two hours ago. They're probably to stage four (guilt) or five (anger) in the seven stages of grief by now...

3rdgensooner
12/14/2010, 02:21 PM
I wonder how this will affect whether Blackmon or Weeden leave.

prrriiide
12/14/2010, 02:23 PM
No way you fire a guy for winning 9 games a year,

Sincerely, Steve Pederson.

SpankyNek
12/14/2010, 02:26 PM
Sincerely, Steve Pederson.

Frank Solich agrees.

Tigeman
12/14/2010, 02:38 PM
The whole coach in waiting thing is kind of like a girl promising she's gonna put out for you if you take her to dinner.

Then you get home, the close come off and she strokes you a few times. Maybe puts her mouth on it a little, but keeps stopping and just won't let you home. You do everything you can, you even try the, I'll only put the head in trick. You try every move to gain control of the situation, but alas, you just finally have to move on.

This was Muschamp and Mack, and this could be Dana.

Actually I think Stewart really is wanting to retire.

badger
12/14/2010, 02:42 PM
Wow.... well if you liked it than you shoulda put a ring on it, Tige :P

hgarmorer
12/14/2010, 02:44 PM
With that hair cut, he should fit right in.

Tigeman
12/14/2010, 02:44 PM
how do you put a ring on it without sampling it first Badger? ;)

I think that's how many guys get themselves in trouble in the first place! HAHA

My Opinion Matters
12/14/2010, 02:47 PM
Not official until we hear from oudavid1.

JohnnyMack
12/14/2010, 02:47 PM
if I could get a hand job in the big east right now, I would jump all over it..

I think you'd just need to go to the mens room at Kohl's to make that happen.

NormanPride
12/14/2010, 02:50 PM
Do they have Kohls out there? Or is it something weird like Burlington Coat Factory?

picasso
12/14/2010, 02:52 PM

I think Weeden stays.

JohnnyMack
12/14/2010, 02:54 PM
Do they have Kohls out there? Or is it something weird like Burlington Coat Factory?

I don't think STEP's that picky.

Sooner_Bob
12/14/2010, 03:00 PM

TJ Maxx

soonerboy_odanorth
12/14/2010, 03:03 PM

And yet, they've both kicked our asses. TT routinely in Lubbock...

Perhaps they're not the only ones overinflating their program's value.

mgsooner
12/14/2010, 03:16 PM
And yet, they've both kicked our asses. TT routinely in Lubbock...

Perhaps they're not the only ones overinflating their program's value.

Yes because a stretch of 3 road games over a 6 year span is the definitive manner in which to determine one program's value versus another.

Breadburner
12/14/2010, 03:18 PM
Holgersons recored against OU sucks......

sooneron
12/14/2010, 03:21 PM
Not official until oudavid1 starts a thread on how he broke the news first.

FIFY

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 03:22 PM
I think Weeden stays.

Weeden is using up his college and NFL eligibility at the same time.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/14/2010, 03:27 PM
West Virginia is similar to Texas Tech - they have a much higher opinion of their program than they should have.The bastages(WVa) could be right. They take us to the woodshed every time we play them.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/14/2010, 03:40 PM
Yes because a stretch of 3 road games over a 6 year span is the definitive manner in which to determine one program's value versus another.

You forgot the :rolleyes:

But your post intimates that those fanbases shouldn't value their programs very highly nationally. But over the last 10 years they have year-in and year-out produced nationally impactful programs, which on the playing field have had a say in the race for the national championship and been equal to ours in head-to-head meetings. That they hold their programs in high esteem over, say, Marshal or Iowa State is not at all surprising, and they would be right to do so. So why shouldn't they have a high opinion of their programs? What opinion should they have?

And for our part, we have a huge part of our fanbase that thinks we win the game just because we step off the bus. THAT is over-inflating your programs value in relation to the results that are produced on the field.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2010, 03:46 PM
ohhhhh richard!

3rdgensooner
12/14/2010, 03:47 PM
It's exactly what 95% of the so-called sports media in this state wanted to happen from the minute OSU hung 60 points on WSU. They got their wish and you'll hear nothing but pure glee from them with every article they write about how much this will hurt the program.

The best thing that could happen to us at this point would be for Meachum to get a chance to call plays in the Alamo Bowl and he hangs 60 on Arizona. ...

IB4OU2
12/14/2010, 03:56 PM
Its Twu, it's twu-

http://newsok.com/report-osus-dana-holgorsen-headed-to-west-virginia/article/3523589?custom_click=lead_story_title

stoopified
12/14/2010, 04:07 PM
Hiring Holgorsen as OC-HCIW with the HC job guaranteed in 2012?

Only way I see this happening is if Stewart has expressed a desire to retire. No way you fire a guy for winning 9 games a year, and then force him to train his replacement for a year. Nothing good could come from that.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/26440426 Wo cares? As long as it screws with T.Boone State and forces them back to the drawing board I am happy.

mgsooner
12/14/2010, 04:09 PM
You forgot the :rolleyes:

But your post intimates that those fanbases shouldn't value their programs very highly nationally. But over the last 10 years they have year-in and year-out produced nationally impactful programs, which on the playing field have had a say in the race for the national championship and been equal to ours in head-to-head meetings. That they hold their programs in high esteem over, say, Marshal or Iowa State is not at all surprising, and they would be right to do so. So why shouldn't they have a high opinion of their programs? What opinion should they have?

And for our part, we have a huge part of our fanbase that thinks we win the game just because we step off the bus. THAT is over-inflating your programs value in relation to the results that are produced on the field.

My initial statement was not to say that programs such as West Virginia and Texas Tech should not hold their programs in high regard, it is the level of "high" in which I was referring to. Texas Tech ran off a coach that was winning at a level that was perhaps never before seen at the university. West Virginia has a much richer tradition of success than Texas Tech, but as I pointed out their all time winning percentage is .600. It appears that they are now also trying to force a coach out that has won at a level equal to or exceeding the level they have won out traditionally. This is not to say that a program cannot break into a new echelon of success, in fact there are numerous examples of this, but members of fanbases such as Texas Tech and West Virginia should be careful that their visions of what their program can or should be does not exceed reality.

soonerloyal
12/14/2010, 04:27 PM
Looks like next year won't be the Pokes year either.

What year will ever be the Pokes' year, bless their hearts? :confused:

12/14/2010, 04:28 PM
It WILL be interesting to see where Mike Leach ends up.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 05:40 PM
What year will ever be the Pokes' year, bless their hearts? :confused:

Didn't you see the other thread? In 22 years (2032), the pokes will have a QB/RB/WR trio talented enough to win all their games and even beat OU. They won't *actually* beat OU, but they will prove that they *could* do it and then pizz down their leg in the 4th quarter.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 05:42 PM
It WILL be interesting to see where Mike Leach ends up.

Mike needs to tie up the legal stuff. Regardless of what really happened at TT, suing your last employers is going to give pause to future employers. Or he could just retire and sail the high seas. Arrrr.

toast
12/14/2010, 05:55 PM
I think Weeden stays.

Yep, T.Boone probably has a better pension program than the NFL. :D

Sooner_Tuf
12/14/2010, 06:41 PM
I think Weeden stays.

Only because he won't be projected very high among the other undrafted free agents.

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2010, 08:16 PM
The whole coach in waiting thing is kind of like a girl promising she's gonna put out for you if you take her to dinner.

Then you get home, the close come off and she strokes you a few times. Maybe puts her mouth on it a little, but keeps stopping and just won't let you home. You do everything you can, you even try the, I'll only put the head in trick. You try every move to gain control of the situation, but alas, you just finally have to move on.

You need to step away from the computer for about 15 minutes and get it over with.

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2010, 08:17 PM
Mike needs to tie up the legal stuff. Regardless of what really happened at TT, suing your last employers is going to give pause to future employers.

When I say that, everyone gets mad at me.

Unless... it's the way I'm saying it. Hmmm....

ashley
12/14/2010, 08:28 PM
I'm not Nostradamus, but when I envision that guy milling about the sidelines as a head coach, all I see is fail.

why?

ashley
12/14/2010, 08:32 PM
Look for Kliff Kingsbury to be a candidate for OSU if he does not go to WV.

12/14/2010, 08:45 PM
Mike needs to tie up the legal stuff. Regardless of what really happened at TT, suing your last employers is going to give pause to future employers. Or he could just retire and sail the high seas. Arrrr.He woulda been the perfect coach for the U. Glad it didn't happen...

Partial Qualifier
12/14/2010, 09:04 PM
why?

His personality just doesn't seem like that of a D1 head coach, you know: recruiting kids, managing a coaching staff, constantly dealing with media and appeasing boosters & school administration....

i dunno. Seems like he'd be at his best calling offensive plays for Hicksville State and generally staying out of the spotlight. Just my opinion.

Partial Qualifier
12/14/2010, 09:08 PM
Of course, he's an easy fit at West Virginia as long has he keeps the skullet :D

CowboyMRW
12/14/2010, 09:17 PM
Everyone knew it was coming within the next 2 years. I had a feeling that he would be gone after either 1 or 2 years. Many people feel sleighted because they believed some of the coachspeak but it is what it is. He will make a great HC in the Big Least cause it's so easy so I can see him excelling

cleller
12/14/2010, 09:25 PM
If have it from several internet sources that it was actually a confrontation between Pickens and Pederson that drove Holgerson to W. Va.

A bidding war was in the brewing with each man matching the other's offer. Holgerson told both Pickens/Pederson it appeared this was going to be a stalemate. Both then dropped their pants, and claimed to have the bigger slugger to end the argument.

Holgerson decided to go somewhere the guy running the show is not referred to with anatomical names.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 09:56 PM
When I say that, everyone gets mad at me.

Unless... it's the way I'm saying it. Hmmm....

LL, you're going to get me negged to Boliva.

kelloggOUballa
12/14/2010, 10:13 PM

Where the heck would Weeden be going, the nursing home?

SteelCitySooner
12/14/2010, 11:08 PM
My wife goes to WVU, well, actually she just graduated WVU a few days ago. So i have been in Morgantown quite a bit.. One thing that wasn't mentioned in the thread so far..WVU will be an SEC team in the next 5 years. The AD at WVU has been pushing that heavily, and the SEC is very warm to the idea.. Personally I think it's stupid, they would only be getting into that buzzsaw down there, but its definitely heading that way.. WVU want's no part of the big least..

picasso
12/14/2010, 11:45 PM
Look for Kliff Kingsbury to be a candidate for OSU if he does not go to WV.
I won't be looking for it.

Tigeman
12/15/2010, 12:09 AM
My wife goes to WVU, well, actually she just graduated WVU a few days ago. So i have been in Morgantown quite a bit.. One thing that wasn't mentioned in the thread so far..WVU will be an SEC team in the next 5 years. The AD at WVU has been pushing that heavily, and the SEC is very warm to the idea.. Personally I think it's stupid, they would only be getting into that buzzsaw down there, but its definitely heading that way.. WVU want's no part of the big least..

IDK about that.... The big East has been courting KS K-state for some time (well....once all the talk started). There is mutual interest of both parties there. If the big 12 folds, look for them to gain those members.

King Barry's Back
12/15/2010, 09:53 AM
I thought the HCIW stuff was pretty much done, because the NCAA was going to put head coach restrictions on any HCIW's recruiting. ESPN had 3-4 stories all about the "death of HCIW."

ESPN argues that the HCIW is dead because they will be restricted from recruiting.

But if the HCIW takes over at the end of next season, the restrictions would only impact recruiting for part of one season -- so maybe that's acceptable to them?

Of course, if the link is right, Stewart is going to be pushed out after the bowl, so might as well line up his successor.

SoonerNutt
12/15/2010, 10:13 AM
...Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Poke Fan
It's exactly what 95% of the so-called sports media in this state wanted to happen from the minute OSU hung 60 points on WSU. They got their wish and you'll hear nothing but pure glee from them with every article they write about how much this will hurt the program.

The best thing that could happen to us at this point would be for Meachum to get a chance to call plays in the Alamo Bowl and he hangs 60 on Arizona.

There's a whole lot of crazy in there.

Harry Beanbag
12/15/2010, 10:58 AM

Yep. 23rd by % and 14th by total wins.

Tech is 47th and 62nd.

OUthunder
12/15/2010, 11:31 AM
Not sure why, but when I think of West Virginia football, honesty and integrity do not come to mind. they have some really rabid fans. It wouldn't shock me in the least if he gets the axe. Shouldn't happen but I can see it playing out that way.