PDA

View Full Version : OU and OSU's relationship

Veritas
12/14/2010, 10:51 AM
I've been meaning to ask this but keep forgetting.

When we've talked about the conference shakeup last summer comments are made about OU being stuck with OSU, or the reason OU had to follow Texas' lead is because they had Aggie Lite around their ankle.

Why/how is OU beholden to OSU, especially when it comes to divisional choices? I get that they're both state schools, but I don't think Iowa spends much time sweating what Iowa State chooses to do, for example.

TIA.

85sooners
12/14/2010, 11:02 AM
:gary:

The
12/14/2010, 11:02 AM
It's just like Nebraska and Nebraska State.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/14/2010, 11:06 AM
If Mary Fallin calls or emails me, I will tell her to dump aggy into the Big 10, or whatever it's going to be called next..

Widescreen
12/14/2010, 12:25 PM
Why/how is OU beholden to OSU, especially when it comes to divisional choices? I get that they're both state schools, but I don't think Iowa spends much time sweating what Iowa State chooses to do, for example.

TIA.

I'll bet it would be a different matter if IU and ISU had been in the same conference for the last 6 decades. There are a lot of people with political pull in Oklahoma that recognize that if OU leaves OSU behind, it will be a very bad thing for OSU and they don't want to see that. I hate it because OSU football is historically on the level of a Big Sky Conference school, but they're being propped up by the good folks in Norman.

mgsooner
12/14/2010, 12:35 PM
When it comes to changing conferences there is much more involved than just what OU wants to do. OU and OSU are public institutions, which means they are beholden to the whims of state political figures.

MeMyself&Me
12/14/2010, 12:46 PM
OSU stands to lose a lot of money if they are disconnected from OU in a conference shake up. OSU and OU are public institutions of the state of Oklahoma which means that state politics will come into play to protect the financial interests of OSU.

Iowa and Iowa St isn't in quite the same situation since they have never been in the same conference (or at least not in modern football history) and are not linked like that. Iowa could do what it wanted and it would have no effect on whether Iowa St was in a BCS conference or not.

unbiasedtruth
12/14/2010, 12:59 PM
its just not about athletics, the ADs, commisioners and such when it involves state schools, its all about the politics. The public outcry from the fans of OSU and OU if the teams were to change to seperate conferences would have a very negative impact on many state politicians that would favor or allow such a thing to happen. The negative impact overshadows by a large margin any positive impact in splitting the 2 schools apart to seperate conferences when politics are involved

Sooner_Tuf
12/14/2010, 01:00 PM
Iowa State is also a very good school and can take care of itself. The Tech School in Stillwater isn't in that same position.

badger
12/14/2010, 01:07 PM
ISU and Iowa have been split for a very long time. OSU and OU haven't. If Nebraska State (if you guys have one of those) was a Big 12 school, you would have had a much more difficult time leaving, unless Nebraska State (or whatever its equivalent to our Aggy school is) was well enough off that it didn't need your help.

It's not unique to us - Baylor was assembling its state delegation to block the Texas schools from leaving for the Pac 10/16 without it. The Cali schools in the Pac 10/12 refused to stop playing each other in football on an annual basis regardless of conference alignment. Houston is currently trying to get its state delegation to barter its way into a BCS conference (read: the ones the other Texas schools are in, the Big 12).

But, please don't let us be misunderstood here - we aren't getting bullied by the Pokes like Baylor and potentially Houston are trying to throw their state delegation weight around. Even Tech is apparently a little guilty of that as well, any time Texas appears to be trying to make a deal that doesn't include them. We look out for Poke and we like to look out for Poke. We beat up our little brother, yes, but don't let others beat up our little brother.

Widescreen
12/14/2010, 01:19 PM
The public outcry from the fans of OSU and OU if the teams were to change to seperate conferences would have a very negative impact on many state politicians that would favor or allow such a thing to happen.

Frankly, I don't know a lot of OU fans that would care at all if OSU went to some other conference.

Fraggle145
12/14/2010, 01:26 PM
ISU and Iowa have been split for a very long time. OSU and OU haven't. If Nebraska State (if you guys have one of those) was a Big 12 school, you would have had a much more difficult time leaving, unless Nebraska State (or whatever its equivalent to our Aggy school is) was well enough off that it didn't need your help.

It's not unique to us - Baylor was assembling its state delegation to block the Texas schools from leaving for the Pac 10/16 without it. The Cali schools in the Pac 10/12 refused to stop playing each other in football on an annual basis regardless of conference alignment. Houston is currently trying to get its state delegation to barter its way into a BCS conference (read: the ones the other Texas schools are in, the Big 12).

But, please don't let us be misunderstood here - we aren't getting bullied by the Pokes like Baylor and potentially Houston are trying to throw their state delegation weight around. Even Tech is apparently a little guilty of that as well, any time Texas appears to be trying to make a deal that doesn't include them. We look out for Poke and we like to look out for Poke. We beat up our little brother, yes, but don't let others beat up our little brother.

No. You were doing so good up until then. **** Poke. **** Poke in the ear.

silverwheels
12/14/2010, 01:28 PM
Frankly, I don't know a lot of OU fans that would care at all if OSU went to some other conference.

Not this guy.

badger
12/14/2010, 01:38 PM
No. You were doing so good up until then. **** Poke. **** Poke in the ear.

bawww, they're not so bad. they provide good paying jobs to the state economy (even if they aren't as well-paid as jobs in Norman) and provide educated students to the state workforce (even if they aren't as educated as students in Norman).

See? We can hate on our little brother while not completely disowning him :stunned:

Fraggle145
12/14/2010, 01:39 PM
bawww, they're not so bad. they provide good paying jobs to the state economy (even if they aren't as well-paid as jobs in Norman) and provide educated students to the state workforce (even if they aren't as educated as students in Norman).

See? We can hate on our little brother while not completely disowning him :stunned:

They can do that without being in our conference. :D

usaosooner
12/14/2010, 01:45 PM
We are tied to little brother because if we OSU was left to stand by themselves they would have fallen to CUSA or WAC/MWC... Doing so would have killed athletics there, which would have eventually killed enrollment and funding.. OSU could hold the mustard as a academics only school and the state knows this They are a tick on our a$$

FtwTxSooner
12/14/2010, 01:48 PM
It really depends if there is a viable alternative bringing them along versus moving on without them.

After the future implosion of the Big 12, if we were at a point where our only option in joining a big conference was leaving little bro behind, I'd think we'd do it.

If we had a couple of alternatives, one with little brother, and one without, little brother will still tag along.

During this last shakeup, the Pac 10 option which included little brother, clearly would have been selected over an option that would include OU and A&M to the SEC.

So far, we have not had to face that scenario.

badger
12/14/2010, 01:48 PM
I really think some of you are blinded by your athletics fandom at times, but hey, so am I :)

OSU and OU work together to maximize state funding for higher education. In turn, OU and OSU also work together to maximize athletic revenue. More money for athletics and academics in the state of Oklahoma. What's not to love?

...I mean, other than the fact that OSU gets some of the money. It's too late to dismantle them. They got established the same time OU did and they aren't going away, so we aren't going to just have one big university in the state anymore, we're having two. It's over. They're going to exist, so we might as well use them to our advantage, amirite?

Soonerwake
12/14/2010, 01:49 PM
If Mary Fallin calls or emails me, I will tell her to dump aggy into the Big 10, or whatever it's going to be called next..

She wouldn't even get that right. She is an Aggy...

Mississippi Sooner
12/14/2010, 01:50 PM

I know I wouldn't care. Let 'em shuffle off to C-USA or somewhere they can compete on an annual basis. If they build their resume a little, maybe we could schedule them on a 2 for 1 basis every once in a while. You know, sorta like Tulsa.

allanace16
12/14/2010, 01:57 PM
OSU and OU work together to maximize state funding for higher education. In turn, OU and OSU also work together to maximize athletic revenue. More money for athletics and academics in the state of Oklahoma. What's not to love?

Pretty much this right here is why unless situations are dire for OU that we won't be leaving Boone State behind. David Boren knows that it's best for the state of Oklahoma for both universities to be major conference players, and he's going to use the clout of OU the best he can to keep State out of trouble. As a Sooner, I say **** 'em, but I know as an Oklahoman it's the best course of action

(but dammit I'd love to see those orange bastards squirm when they were left behind and had to go to the Mountain West....)

Veritas
12/14/2010, 02:03 PM
Thank you all for great answers. Iowa State/Iowa was a bad example...KU/KSU would have been a better example.

Sucks that stupid **** like politics and finances get in the way of football. :)

NormanPride
12/14/2010, 02:03 PM
I still believe the existence of OSU prevents the primary school (OU) from being one of the best in the country academically. If we were the same size as a Texas or A&M or Florida we could command a lot more research $$ and produce a lot more as a university.

As it is we have a place in state where kids can go learn how to judge chickens.

MeMyself&Me
12/14/2010, 03:04 PM
Thank you all for great answers. Iowa State/Iowa was a bad example...KU/KSU would have been a better example.

Sucks that stupid **** like politics and finances get in the way of football. :)

Yeah, KU/KSU is a better example. But neither of those schools are strong enough to carry the other. If it came down to it and a conference just didn't want the lesser school (KSU) and politics got in the way, the greater school (KU) would get left out in the cold.

That said, I do think politicians would get out of the way if it became apparent that both schools would miss out if they forced the issue. And that goes for both Oklahoma and Kansas.

The
12/14/2010, 03:11 PM

You're welcome.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/14/2010, 03:22 PM
She wouldn't even get that right. She is an Aggy...She might go for it, then. Orange aggy could go Big Whatever(10?) and GAIN PRESTIGE!

SoonerAtKU
12/14/2010, 04:35 PM
Can we petition to have OSU rebranded as "University of Oklahoma - Stillwater campus"?

They can still compete in sports, they just have to have the mascot name "Junior Sooners"

Widescreen
12/14/2010, 04:39 PM
Soonerettes

Mississippi Sooner
12/14/2010, 04:44 PM
Soonerettes

They've already got a store named after them in Davis, OK.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2454/3921163890_912ed0f5a0.jpg

stoopified
12/14/2010, 05:09 PM
It's just like Nebraska and Nebraska State.
Well osu barely beats us more than NSU does the Huskers! :)

scomo
12/14/2010, 05:50 PM
I really think some of you are blinded by your athletics fandom at times, but hey, so am I :)

...I mean, other than the fact that OSU gets some of the money. It's too late to dismantle them. They got established the same time OU did and they aren't going away, so we aren't going to just have one big university in the state anymore, we're having two. It's over. They're going to exist, so we might as well use them to our advantage, amirite?

I agree. I was born in Stillwater and never went back, and I have limited love for our Aggy neighbors, but my allegiance lies with OU first, state second (Tulsa > OSU) and Big 12 third. It wouldn't behoove anyone in Oklahoma if OU were to move to a different conference, leaving OSU behind.

Don't forget that OSU brings in the 25th highest revenue in college football (OU is 15th). They're not Sooners but they're not slouches, either. They brought in more ($14.40m) in 08-09 than USC ($13.83m). The difference between what Texas brings in and what we bring in is far greater than the difference between OSU and OU...

If OU edges out OSU for the championship each year I think we should be happy. They aren't our real rivals and every Sooner knows it.

Judge Smails
12/14/2010, 07:23 PM
They aren't our real rivals and every Sooner knows it.

And so do the pokees.

DarrellZero
12/14/2010, 07:38 PM
In a weird way I think it's good for us that OSU exists. The presence of another large state school means that not every Oklahoman is a slavishly devoted Sooner fan; there are some that hate us. As goofy as the Aggies sometimes are, they help us maintain our perspective and sense of humor.

Schools like Arkansas and Nebraska, which are the only large institutions in their respective states, tend to develop followings that border on cultish. I for one wouldn't want to be part of that.

As for having to drag OSU along with us to every new conference we might join, well, I could do without that.

Flagstaffsooner
12/14/2010, 07:58 PM
http://certifiedjovitnatic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/albatross.jpg