PDA

View Full Version : Was OU the best in 1985?

SteelClip49
12/14/2010, 02:52 AM
I understand we are the national champions but talent wise, were we the best team in 1985?

I only ask this because Miami had our number from 85-87. Tennessee finished with a (9-1-2) record and had those 2 losses been wins they likely would have been national champions due their 35-7 shellacking of Miami in the Sugar Bowl.

Florida (on major probation defending a 9-1-1 '84 season) defeats Miami; Miami beats Oklahoma; Tennessee beats Miami; OU beats undefeated Penn State in the Orange Bowl to earn the #1 ranking.

Talent wise...who was the better team at season's end?

#1 Oklahoma (11-1)
#2 Michigan (10-1-1)
#3 Penn State (11-1)
#4 Tennessee (9-1-2)
#5 Florida (9-1-1)- PROBATION
#9 Miami

For those of you who remember well (I was 2 so I don't know), going into the bowls, did you think or did anyone think OU had a chance at the national championship?

EatLeadCommie
12/14/2010, 03:06 AM
You can argue about talent forever. We were a completely different team with Holieway though. That was the first year Miami beat us. Frankly, I think we just didn't take them seriously at the time.

We all knew we had a shot, but Miami had to lose for it to happen. PSU was 1, Miami 2, and OU 3. I didn't think Miami would lose, but Tennessee killed them.

BigRed47
12/14/2010, 03:09 AM
With Holliway at QB OU was a juggernaut. Miami beat OU in Norman but Troy broke his leg that day and Holliway came in with no experience. After Troy went out Barry went back to the bone and OU had some easy games for JH to gain experience in. By the end of the season the Sooners were awesome. Penn St. was an excellent team and they wanted to play OU. And OU was gracious enough to beat Penn State and capture the title. Miami had lost to Florida but if they had beaten Tenn. then they would have won the NC. However they were hammered by Tenn. 35-7 in the Sugar Bowl. I think if OU had played Miami again they would have won.

DarrellZero
12/14/2010, 03:52 AM
OU was as talented as any team that year.

Miami was beatable, as the Sugar Bowl showed.

Aikman was carving up Miami's defense like a Thanksgiving turkey before he got hurt. If he stays in the game, I think we beat them.

redhawk49
12/14/2010, 05:32 AM
Look what happened to Miami that very next year (1986) in the Fiesta Bowl against Penn State. It was probably one of the finer coaching jobs by Joe Pa and his staff. Of course his mind was still pretty sharp since he was only 99 years old then.

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2010, 06:09 AM
Jimmy Johnson has had his bowl troubles too. :D

King Barry's Back
12/14/2010, 06:42 AM
I started to post something, but I don't even want to talk about this stuff.

The memories are still too fresh.

I will thow out some background, for you young whippersnappers.

Miami came into the 85 game in Norman as an UNRANKED team. OU didn't really seem to take them seriously.

Florida, as I recall, really wasn't on anybody's radar screen back then. THey were kind of the little fish in Florida. THat's changed, today.

Jacie
12/14/2010, 07:06 AM
For those of you who remember well (I was 2 so I don't know), going into the bowls, did you think or did anyone think OU had a chance at the national championship?

No, at the time, I did not think OU had a chance at the national championship because UM seemed to be on a roll. I didn't think the vols had a prayer of beating them so for them to not only win but to hammer them the way the did was a stunner and it made OUr game much more important.

AlbqSooner
12/14/2010, 07:28 AM
No, at the time, I did not think OU had a chance at the national championship because UM seemed to be on a roll. I didn't think the vols had a prayer of beating them so for them to not only win but to hammer them the way the did was a stunner and it made OUr game much more important.

Miami was definitely on a roll. They had beaten OU and it looked like there was NO WAY that the vols could hang with them. However, through my Crimson colored glasses, I went into New Year's Day still believing the somehow OU would end up champions. Sugar Bowl kicked off before the Orange Bowl and we knew the outcome of that before we beat a very good Penn State.

By the bowl season, I felt that OU was the best team in the nation in the '85 season.

PLaw
12/14/2010, 08:31 AM
OU was as talented as any team that year.

Miami was beatable, as the Sugar Bowl showed.

Aikman was carving up Miami's defense like a Thanksgiving turkey before he got hurt. If he stays in the game, I think we beat them.

And, still go on to win the MNC at the Orange Bowl.

BOOMER

Sooners78
12/14/2010, 08:53 AM
The Miami game would have been a good one with a healthy Aikman. Either team could have won. With an experienced Jamelle, we were a much better offense. However, UM always seemed to have a front 7 that could defend our wishbone, so it's not a given that we would have beaten the canes even with an experienced Holieway.

One important point though, OUr defense in 85 was much better than the next 2 years. That 85 defense had Casillas on the line. We stuffed Penn St. most of that game. I'm Not sure, but I think Casillas was injured for the 85 Miami game.

LostCreekSooner
12/14/2010, 08:58 AM
'85 defense was unbelievable. IMO, best ever, but I was too young to see the Selmons play.

Offense in the mid-80s was very good, but one-dimensional. Also IMO, we would have won 3 national championships if Aikman had not broken his leg / transferred.

Miami also had incredible teams during that time. The only difference was a balanced offense that scored a few points on us. (The most yards Miami ever had against our defense was a little over 250, and the most points was 28. Problem is they stuffed everyone on the line to stop our run, and we couldn't get a first down.)

85sooners
12/14/2010, 09:22 AM
Ou had the boz so we had all the talent!!

XingTheRubicon
12/14/2010, 09:35 AM
I guess most people don't remember this correctly. OU, for all intents and purposes, was going to win the MNC with a victory over Penn St, no matter what Miami did.

Jimmy Johnson spent the weeks leading up to the bowls b*tching and moaning day after day. What was he b*tching and moaning about? It was due to the AP voters and the coaches ALL saying that if OU beats #1 Penn ST, that OU would get their #1 vote, not Miami (even if they beat the Vols)

This whole "Miami had to lose to the Vols" for OU to win the '85 MNC is simply just making the story seem more interesting in retrospect. Now, there IS some speculation that if Miami won convincingly, and OU won the AP, that the coaches might have taken pity on them and given them the UPI title. Maybe, maybe not...who knows. The fact is, no matter what any other bowl outcome was, if OU beats PSU, 1985 gets painted on the press box.

texaspokieokie
12/14/2010, 09:37 AM
disagree.

rekamrettuB
12/14/2010, 09:39 AM
#2 Michigan (10-1-1)
#3 Penn State (11-1)
#4 Tennessee (9-1-2)
#9 Miami

Look at all those ties. Did Tennessee tie both Michigan and Florida?

Sooners78
12/14/2010, 09:39 AM
One must remember that leading up to that game, OU had just a few weeks earlier beaten then #2 Nebraska, and it wasn't even close. The score was 27-7, and NU's seven came on a fumble return late in the game when OUr reserves were playing. I think it was Don (RT) Maloney who fumbled it. Given the way we were playing at the end of that season, most people thought we had a better team than Miami.

XingTheRubicon
12/14/2010, 10:03 AM
disagree.

Most people who can't remember what happened, do disagree. I have the old video of the OU/PSU pre game show, where Don Criqui?, hours before the bowls, was talking about how they polled most of the sportswriters and they still had OU easily taking #1 with a win. NBC did the same poll weeks before, and that's what had Jimmy Johnson freaking out for a solid month leading up to the bowls.

They talked about this on the animal a few months back. Berry Tramel disagrees with you too. For some reason, few people remember this for what it was...I guess it makes for a better story.

Sooners78
12/14/2010, 10:08 AM
Most people who can't remember what happened, do disagree. I have the old video of the OU/PSU pre game show, where Don Criqui?, hours before the bowls, was talking about how they polled most of the sportswriters and they still had OU easily taking #1 with a win. NBC did the same poll weeks before, and that's what had Jimmy Johnson freaking out for a solid month leading up to the bowls.

They talked about this on the animal a few months back. Berry Tramel disagrees with you too. For some reason, few people remember this for what it was...I guess it makes for a better story.

You're absolutely right. The Tennessee win solidified our #1 ranking, but it wasn't necessary for us to win the MNC. Regardless, all Sooner fans were pumped as they would switch over to the Sugar Bowl, and continue to see the Vols lead grow that night. Knowing that there wouldn't be a controversy raised by JJ and the cane fans made that night even better.

texaspokieokie
12/14/2010, 10:09 AM

no, your version makes for a better story.

rekamrettuB
12/14/2010, 10:13 AM

In the end it doesn't matter what you or anyone else believes. Number 6 still resides in Norman.

humblesooner
12/14/2010, 10:18 AM
How ironic that I watched this game last weekend while flying to Anchorage. I was mid-20's when this game was played and with the help of a little (OK a lot) of alcohol, I just remember being elated with another NC. I wanted to go out right that minute and buy a Championship T-Shirt at Big Red Sales.
Watching the game again last week, I had forgotten just how ugly this game was. OU's offense did virtually nothing against PSU for the majority of the game. I think Spencer had about 10-12 yards going in to the 4th Qtr. Lydell Carr was the only player to have any decent runs the whole game. JH was held in check as were the tailbacks for most of the game. Keith Jackson had a couple of great receptions that put OU in the lead. But basically just an ugly game.
That is until Carr's TD run in the 4th qtr that basically wrapped up the NC.
As you watch that D play, it is amazing the names that were on that team:
Boz, Casillas, Migliazzo (replaced by Dante Jones in 2nd half), Ricky Dixon, Steve Bryan (not Ricky, but still played a hell of a game). That D won the game for OU. PSU could do nothing on offense, either.

Initially, I was going to say that OU may not have been the best team in 1985. But, since defense is part of the team, I must say that they probably were the best team that year. The only game they lost was a game where their starting QB broke his leg early and the freshman backup had to take over with little notice and virtually no experience - not to mention, a completely different offense in the middle of the game.

MamaMia
12/14/2010, 10:18 AM
disagree.
Why do you disagree?

no, your version makes for a better story. Why do you think his version makes a better story?

:pop:

sooneron
12/14/2010, 10:21 AM
disagree.

Well, you're wrong. I remember seeing Barry & Joe on network tv talking about how big a game it was going to be. The main point was Jimmy saying that scUM would be champs once they won, but the pollsters weren't buying it. Joe Pa even gave a little wave and said "Hi Jimmy" to the camera.

Veritas
12/14/2010, 10:44 AM
Please. OU was ridiculous in 1985. They kicked the crap out of Nebraska. I remember this game vividly. I was 10 and this was "the year." But that damn Holieway made us look like Aggie. To this day I won't buy Wishbone brand dressing.

Did Miami have more talent? Maybe. Probably. Especially offensively. But physical talent isn't enough, as Texas has learned this year.

Championships require talent, coaching, and luck. OU had all three in 85, Miami did not.

texaspokieokie
12/14/2010, 10:46 AM
Why do you disagree?

Why do you think his version makes a better story?

:pop:

got nothin else.
JMHO

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/14/2010, 10:50 AM
I understand we are the national champions but talent wise, were we the best team in 1985?

I only ask this because Miami had our number from 85-87. Tennessee finished with a (9-1-2) record and had those 2 losses been wins they likely would have been national champions due their 35-7 shellacking of Miami in the Sugar Bowl.

Florida (on major probation defending a 9-1-1 '84 season) defeats Miami; Miami beats Oklahoma; Tennessee beats Miami; OU beats undefeated Penn State in the Orange Bowl to earn the #1 ranking.

Talent wise...who was the better team at season's end?

#1 Oklahoma (11-1)
#2 Michigan (10-1-1)
#3 Penn State (11-1)
#4 Tennessee (9-1-2)
#9 Miami

For those of you who remember well (I was 2 so I don't know), going into the bowls, did you think or did anyone think OU had a chance at the national championship?I went to that '85 season Orange Bowl, thinking I didn't believe TN would beat the U, but OU sure as heck could beat Penn State. At the game came the announcement that TN had upset Miami in the Sugar Bowl. The rest of the evening was the best experience I have ever had at a football game.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2010, 10:53 AM
Well, you're wrong. I remember seeing Barry & Joe on network tv talking about how big a game it was going to be. The main point was Jimmy saying that scUM would be champs once they won, but the pollsters weren't buying it. Joe Pa even gave a little wave and said "Hi Jimmy" to the camera.

Yup...Jimmy J was Mack Brown'n Mack Brown

picasso
12/14/2010, 11:04 AM
had those 2 losses been wins they likely would have been national champions due their 35-7 shellacking of Miami in the Sugar Bowl.

Huh? Seriously? I guess if we don't lose to Miami in '87 then we win it all.

picasso
12/14/2010, 11:05 AM
Also, that was a stout Penn State team we beat in the orange Bowl.

Mississippi Sooner
12/14/2010, 11:11 AM
I remember thinking after the Texas game that year that with our defense, we could probably beat anybody. The Miami game was an aberration. Troy going down threw the whole game plan in disarray, and it was hard to come back from that. Going through the rest of the schedule that season, though, I don't think anyone scored more than two touchdowns on us. Once Holieway got going, no one could stay with us. In fact, I remember it was popular at the time to say that the only defense that was better than the 85 Sooners was the 85 Chicago Bears.

I also remember the talk going around that we could or would jump Miami if we won the Orange Bowl, no matter how Miami did in the Sugar Bowl. Still, learning that Miami had lost sure made it a lot easier to watch the Orange Bowl.

Penn State was in that game for a long time. The ran more plays and had more time of possession than we did, but turnovers did them in. That made it even more fun for me to watch because I happened to be with a couple of Penn State fans from Pittsburgh at the time. They really couldn't believe that their mighty Nittany Lions could get manhandled like that.

12/14/2010, 11:18 AM
The Penn State fans I saw were very cocky, and yes, arrogant as hel*. It was like they expected the JoePas to mow us down. I LMFAO at them walking away in shock and disbelief.

soonervegas
12/14/2010, 11:34 AM
1984 was interesting as well. Coaches or writers were looking for a reason to vote a 9-1-1 OU over BYU for the national title. I believe they did a poll that if we won by 14 we would have the votes to pass BYU. I dont think Washington to kindly to that.

XingTheRubicon
12/14/2010, 03:54 PM

Do you have one scintilla of anything tangible or quotes or memory of anything specific other than your clouded aggie memory?

Here, this might help. What was, the broadcaster, Keith Jackson's memorable quote concerning 18 year olds during the 1985 OU-Nebraska broadcast on ABC. I'm gonna go ahead and assume you don't know the answer, similar to how you don't know the answer to the previous topic. Let's try and remember to use what we've learned here and apply that to any future disagreements.

texaspokieokie
12/14/2010, 03:59 PM
just going by memory.

Soonersince57
12/14/2010, 04:30 PM
I do remember going into those bowl games with the talk being the winner of the Orange Bowl would be national champs even though we were #3 and Miami had beaten us.

That's what Jimmy was whining about as others have mentioned, but remember, Miami was just coming onto the scene then - - kind of like Boise had been lately. 2 years before they had beaten a very good Nebraska team by 1 point, but then in Jimmy's first year in '84, they tanked and lost 5 games, including against Boston College and the pass from Doug Flutie. In any event, I think the poll voters were inclined to favor the more traditional teams of OU and PSU than an upstart like Miami.

rekamrettuB
12/14/2010, 04:45 PM
just going by memory.

You do remember where the national title ended up regardless of whose memory is better? That's really all I care about.

I have the game on DVD and recall the announcers saying something to the affect of "it won't matter now...the winner will be crowned national champion" after the Sugar Bowl score was announced.

PDXsooner
12/14/2010, 05:10 PM
It's probably been said, but I know the next year in '86 we would have KILLED Penn State. OU would have beaten anyone except Miami that next year.

Lawton4Life
12/14/2010, 05:31 PM
The Penn State QB had a horrible horrible day throwing against that D

edited to add the stats, 18-34 164 yards and 4 ints

GDC
12/14/2010, 05:57 PM
OU was great, but Miami was better.

toast
12/14/2010, 06:01 PM
Miami came into the 85 game in Norman as an UNRANKED team. OU didn't really seem to take them seriously.

Really? I remember it being pretty intense in the pre-grame. Including Bosworth stading at midfield almost getting into it with the UM players. I don't think there was any light-heartedness out there.

picasso
12/14/2010, 06:02 PM
Really? I remember it being pretty intense in the pre-grame. Including Bosworth stading at midfield almost getting into it with the UM players. I don't think there was any light-heartedness out there.

Miami was waiting at midfield when we came out of the tunnel.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 06:05 PM
I remember a huge media build up for the '85 OU/Miami game.

rekamrettuB
12/14/2010, 06:13 PM
OU was great, but Miami was better.

Miami was great, but Tennessee was better.

jumperstop
12/14/2010, 06:16 PM
I've been meaning to post this for a while, but haven't got around to it. Instead of making a new thread I'll just stick it in here cause it's applicable.

I was in Stillwater a few months back visiting my gf. She wanted to go to a book fair at the library that was selling used ****ty books for real cheap. Hardbacks $.50 Childrens and Paperbacks $.25. A pretty good deal except we went on day two or three and all the good stuff had been picked over. I did however find a gem there, and it was only there cause it was in Stillwater.

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/jumperstop/OU3.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/jumperstop/OU2.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww70/jumperstop/OU4.jpg

This was the best $.50 book I have ever bought, and afterword I was so glad that my gf made me go to the crappy bookfair. Also got a real cool kids picture book straight from the early 80's of Star Wars Return of the Jedi. I wasn't alive in 85 so this book was a real interesting read for me, caught me up on the things that I missed. I can take more pictures and post them, these are the ones I just had on my phone that I was going to post earlier this season when someone was talking about the Minnesota game. What's cool about it is it's hardback, made by SoonerIllustrated. It's like one of those SI special editions you would buy nowadays after your team with the MNC except cool and made for keeping on the bookshelf. Ok back to the OP...:D

GDC
12/14/2010, 06:24 PM
Miami was great, but Tennessee was better.

OU lost three games in three years, all to Miami.

ELP Sooner
12/14/2010, 06:41 PM
I have that book! If you watch the game broadcast once the Miami game was no longer in doubt they switched the graphic giving the score from something like Orange Bowl to NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. I think OU would have been part of a split NC that year. Do not forget that UCLA beating Iowa helped OU as well. To say that the Sugar Bowl or Rose Bowl had no impact on the OU 1985 NC is flat out wrong. I know for a fact that OU was 4th in one of the polls going into bowl season...PSU MIAMI and IOWA were all ahead of OU. Of course in today's BCS, PSU might have played Fresno State who was undefeated for all the marbles! Well maybe not...lol.

jumperstop
12/14/2010, 06:41 PM
Nobody cares about my awesome book? Don't go making me make a new thread about it...

ELP Sooner
12/14/2010, 06:59 PM
IOWA 1985

As you can see IOWA was number 2 after their regular season ended. We needed them to lose.

Date Home Team Score Visit Team Record Location Notes A.P. Poll
Sat, 9/14/1985 Iowa 58 - 0 (W) Drake 1-0 Iowa City, IA 4. 9/17/1985
Sat, 9/21/1985 Iowa 48 - 20 (W) Northern Illinois 2-0 Iowa City, IA 3. 9/24/1985
Sat, 9/28/1985 Iowa St. 3 - 57 (W) Iowa 3-0 Ames, IA 1. 10/1/1985
Sat, 10/5/1985 Iowa 35 - 31 (W) Michigan St. 4-0 Iowa City, IA
Sat, 10/12/1985 Wisconsin 13 - 23 (W) Iowa 5-0 Madison, WI 1. 10/15/1985
Sat, 10/19/1985 Iowa 12 - 10 (W) Michigan 6-0 Iowa City, IA 1. 10/22/1985
Sat, 10/26/1985 Northwestern 10 - 49 (W) Iowa 7-0 Evanston, IL 1. 10/29/1985
Sat, 11/2/1985 Ohio St. 22 - 13 (L) Iowa 7-1 Columbus, OH 6. 11/5/1985
Sat, 11/9/1985 Iowa 59 - 0 (W) Illinois 8-1 Iowa City, IA
Sat, 11/16/1985 Purdue 24 - 27 (W) Iowa 9-1 West Lafayette, IN 3. 11/19/1985
Sat, 11/23/1985 Iowa 31 - 9 (W) Minnesota 10-1 Iowa City, IA 2. 11/26/1985
Wed, 1/1/1986 UCLA 45 - 28 (L) Iowa 10-2 Pasadena, CA Rose Bowl 10. 1985 Final

rekamrettuB
12/14/2010, 09:32 PM

And what do 2 of those games have to with the '85 season? I was 10-12 so yes I hated Miami as much as the rest of OU fans but this thread was about the '85 season and which team was the best that year.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 09:44 PM

This is true, but it was pretty anti-climatic in '87 ('88 Orange bowl) with Jamelle not playing. Pretty similar to Bama playing the horns last season once Colt got hurt in that OU wasn't close to the team that got them there. Injuries are part of the game, but it was unfortunate the 2 best teams couldn't play that year intact. But even with OUr offense being totally ineffective in that game, it was one of the most gutsy performances by defense I have ever seen put on by OUr guys. Miami had the ball the entire game it seem and our guys made 'em fight for every yards and they only ended up with <300yds as I recall.

Sabanball
12/14/2010, 09:50 PM
No, but the AP thought OU was and given where we were in the stream of time with recognized polls that's all that matters. Miami had better athletes than you guys did, and that's why they owned you guys in the '80s--even the King himself has admitted that. They dominated you guys on both sides of the ball and if you all had teed it up 15 times I think the Sooners running the wishbone would have been hard-pressed to win even once against that crew.

I'll say this though--take Miami out of the equation and you guys easily win three straight NC's from '85-'87.

yermom
12/14/2010, 09:51 PM
IOWA 1985

As you can see IOWA was number 2 after their regular season ended. We needed them to lose.

Date Home Team Score Visit Team Record Location Notes A.P. Poll
Sat, 9/14/1985 Iowa 58 - 0 (W) Drake 1-0 Iowa City, IA 4. 9/17/1985
Sat, 9/21/1985 Iowa 48 - 20 (W) Northern Illinois 2-0 Iowa City, IA 3. 9/24/1985
Sat, 9/28/1985 Iowa St. 3 - 57 (W) Iowa 3-0 Ames, IA 1. 10/1/1985
Sat, 10/5/1985 Iowa 35 - 31 (W) Michigan St. 4-0 Iowa City, IA
Sat, 10/12/1985 Wisconsin 13 - 23 (W) Iowa 5-0 Madison, WI 1. 10/15/1985
Sat, 10/19/1985 Iowa 12 - 10 (W) Michigan 6-0 Iowa City, IA 1. 10/22/1985
Sat, 10/26/1985 Northwestern 10 - 49 (W) Iowa 7-0 Evanston, IL 1. 10/29/1985
Sat, 11/2/1985 Ohio St. 22 - 13 (L) Iowa 7-1 Columbus, OH 6. 11/5/1985
Sat, 11/9/1985 Iowa 59 - 0 (W) Illinois 8-1 Iowa City, IA
Sat, 11/16/1985 Purdue 24 - 27 (W) Iowa 9-1 West Lafayette, IN 3. 11/19/1985
Sat, 11/23/1985 Iowa 31 - 9 (W) Minnesota 10-1 Iowa City, IA 2. 11/26/1985
Wed, 1/1/1986 UCLA 45 - 28 (L) Iowa 10-2 Pasadena, CA Rose Bowl 10. 1985 Final

thank you Chuck Long :D

tulsaoilerfan
12/14/2010, 10:13 PM
Also, that was a stout Penn State team we beat in the orange Bowl.

Yup Shane Conlan was one helluva linebacker and they ended up winning it all the next season with many of the same players

ELP Sooner
12/14/2010, 11:17 PM
No dispute on who was number 1 in 1985...none. The old bowl system ended up producing a clear National Champion. If the BCS had been in place I think the computers would have given Miami the shot against Penn State and we would have been left out. IIRC OU was 2 in the coaches poll and 3 in the AP...but OU Miami and Iowa were very close for the number 2 spot. As for the Miami issue, they proved it on the field 1 time in Norman and twice in Miami as to who was better. Heck look at the PSU game, the wishbone was stuffed all night. Only late in the game did OU start running effectively because I think the PSU D was gassed. OU also got a break with a bad call on a pass ruled complete that should have been incomplete or a fumble and PSU recovery. That lead to 3 points and really helped the cause. OU should have scored a TD on the drive but Jamelle made a bad read on first and goal and pulled the ball away from the fullback who was going to get it close to the goal line...instead he kept, made a bad pitch and lost yardage. The PSU QB John Schaffer had a horrible night and that saved our bacon.

BigRed47
12/14/2010, 11:33 PM

Yes, and Barry's favorite saying then was "Go#@am Miami."

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/14/2010, 11:56 PM
I guess most people don't remember this correctly. OU, for all intents and purposes, was going to win the MNC with a victory over Penn St, no matter what Miami did.

Jimmy Johnson spent the weeks leading up to the bowls b*tching and moaning day after day. What was he b*tching and moaning about? It was due to the AP voters and the coaches ALL saying that if OU beats #1 Penn ST, that OU would get their #1 vote, not Miami (even if they beat the Vols)

This whole "Miami had to lose to the Vols" for OU to win the '85 MNC is simply just making the story seem more interesting in retrospect. Now, there IS some speculation that if Miami won convincingly, and OU won the AP, that the coaches might have taken pity on them and given them the UPI title. Maybe, maybe not...who knows. The fact is, no matter what any other bowl outcome was, if OU beats PSU, 1985 gets painted on the press box.

This is exactly right. It could be said that Jimmy Johnson spent more time lobbying for Miami to be #1 if they won than preparing for Tennessee.

I also don't buy into the Miami had far superior athletes argument. Yes, in the end they were just a little better. The game for the 87 championship was 20-14. OU had the ball back in the last minute with a chance to win the game before turning the ball over. Lets not act like the Canes hung half a hundred on OU. It was very much like playing LSU in the title game for the 03 title. Don't forget it was basically a home game for Miami.

Imagine if Miami had played Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl, let alone a bowl game in Norman, for the title. I know the bowl games are where they are. Home field was a factor in that game. If you have caught any replay of the game it was a pro-Miami crowd.

I do think OU in 85 was different from OU in 87 in that the 87 team was a juggernaught from game 1 and probably peaked early in the year and the 85 team game up 7 points a game in their last 6 games. I don't think any defense has been that stingy since.

Wayne Jarvis
12/15/2010, 08:05 AM
Look at all those ties. Did Tennessee tie both Michigan and Florida?

They tied UCLA & Georgia Tech

Tennessee's 1985 schedule (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/tennessee/yearly_results.php?year=1985)

rekamrettuB
12/15/2010, 10:13 AM
They tied UCLA & Georgia Tech

Tennessee's 1985 schedule (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sec/tennessee/yearly_results.php?year=1985)

So Michigan and Florida tied two other teams? That's a lot of ties for one season. I was 10 years old or so and didn't follow college football outside of OU so was not aware of so many ties going on that year.

humblesooner
12/15/2010, 10:56 AM
Nobody cares about my awesome book? Don't go making me make a new thread about it...

I'll give you your money back on it.
:D

Sabanball
12/15/2010, 12:29 PM
No dispute on who was number 1 in 1985...none. The old bowl system ended up producing a clear National Champion. If the BCS had been in place I think the computers would have given Miami the shot against Penn State and we would have been left out. IIRC OU was 2 in the coaches poll and 3 in the AP...but OU Miami and Iowa were very close for the number 2 spot. As for the Miami issue, they proved it on the field 1 time in Norman and twice in Miami as to who was better. Heck look at the PSU game, the wishbone was stuffed all night. Only late in the game did OU start running effectively because I think the PSU D was gassed. OU also got a break with a bad call on a pass ruled complete that should have been incomplete or a fumble and PSU recovery. That lead to 3 points and really helped the cause. OU should have scored a TD on the drive but Jamelle made a bad read on first and goal and pulled the ball away from the fullback who was going to get it close to the goal line...instead he kept, made a bad pitch and lost yardage. The PSU QB John Schaffer had a horrible night and that saved our bacon.

As I recall, Schaffer came out of Cincinnati Moeller HS and had NEVER lost as a starter--including his playing days in Ohio. In 1986, he finished 12-0.

You guys were the only ones to ever defeat him.

RahOkU
12/15/2010, 01:01 PM
I've forgotten. What caused Miami to not be ranked #2 when they played TN in the Sugar Bowl?.....

soonerbrat
12/15/2010, 01:05 PM
With Holliway at QB OU was a juggernaut. Miami beat OU in Norman but Troy broke his leg that day and Holliway came in with no experience. After Troy went out Barry went back to the bone and OU had some easy games for JH to gain experience in. By the end of the season the Sooners were awesome. Penn St. was an excellent team and they wanted to play OU. And OU was gracious enough to beat Penn State and capture the title. Miami had lost to Florida but if they had beaten Tenn. then they would have won the NC. However they were hammered by Tenn. 35-7 in the Sugar Bowl. I think if OU had played Miami again they would have won.

i remember that day. I was at a car dealership watching the game while my mom bought a new car.

humblesooner
12/15/2010, 02:50 PM
I've forgotten. What caused Miami to not be ranked #2 when they played TN in the Sugar Bowl?.....

They were ranked #2. It was just the fact that if OU beat the #1 team in the country, they would gain enough points to pass Miami in the polls.
Fortunately, they lost and we didn't have to wait and see the next morning.

badger
12/15/2010, 02:53 PM
If nobody has already suggested it, I think we were best in 2003 and would have been in consideration for the best team period all-time if Jason White's knees weren't taken out :(

jkjsooner
12/15/2010, 04:02 PM
If nobody has already suggested it, I think we were best in 2003 and would have been in consideration for the best team period all-time if Jason White's knees weren't taken out :(

White didn't have a knee injury in 2003. His knee injuries were in 2001 and 2002. He played very well in 2003 and on some ways the reconstructed knees made him a better QB (at least passing wise).

Now, the other injuries he suffered against KSU made a big difference in the game against LSU. He was not himself in the LSU game. It's hard to say how we would have done against KSU even if White didn't get injured. They jumped on us so fast...

As for Miami in '85, it wasn't a huge game going into it. There was some buzz simply because of Testeverde but it was truly a shock when they beat us. It definitely did not have the hype of the later games.

One thing we also have to consider is that in the old Big 8 we didn't have experience against the Miami type offense. Our defense played well but probably would have played better had we faced a couple of more passing teams. We did have a great secondary...

12/15/2010, 06:46 PM
If nobody has already suggested it, I think we were best in 2003 and would have been in consideration for the best team period all-time if Jason White's knees weren't taken out :(Didn't he get his hand effed up in the Big 12 Chanpionship game with the Darren Sproles' team?

OUEngr1990
12/15/2010, 06:53 PM
Ah yes, Testicleverde...

Doesn't he still play backup in the NFL these days?

crawfish
12/15/2010, 07:19 PM

I remember that. OU ran out, and Miami was lined up yelling trash. Most OU players just ignored them, but Boz started yelling back. It was funny because Boz looked around and all of a sudden figured out he was standing out there with 20 or so Miami players by himself, and ran to the sideline. :)

No player had a better OU-Miami series than the Boz, regardless of the outcome.

GDC
12/16/2010, 08:43 AM
I watched that game on a tiny black and white screen while working in a greasy old Kerr-McGee station. I acquired the TV from some dude who needed gas one night. He had a bunch of appliances in the trunk of his car, still in boxes.

GDC
12/23/2010, 03:54 PM
Oklahoma came into the contest with the nation's most aggressive defense (leading to their comparisons to the Monsters of the Midway), which seemingly got better each week, and was led up front by All-American nose tackle Tony Casillas, whose injury against Texas forced him to miss the game. The line featured sophomore tackle Troy Johnson, sophomore end Darrell Reed, and senior end Kevin Murphy, himself an All-American candidate. Lining up behind the group was the menacing Brian Bosworth, with fellow linebackers Paul Migliazzo and Dante Jones (another talented sophomore). This group had permitted an average of only 32 yards rushing per game. Juniors Tony Rayburn and Sonny Brown, and sophomores Rickey Dixon and Derrick White, patrolled the secondary, allowing only 91 yards passing per game. In three games, the defense had allowed only 16 first downs and had permitted an average of 6.6 points per game

Darrell Reed and Kevin Murphy, damn...