PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the last games of OU and UConn

BigRed47
12/14/2010, 02:28 AM
UConn won their last five games. We have all heard about their terrific defense. As we all know OU's defense is not as good as UConn's. Here are some interesting stats of UConn's last 5 games and OU's last 4 games.

UConn gave up an average of 335 yards in their last 5 wins.
The average rank of those offenses was #75.
UConn averaged 309 yards of offense in those 5 games.
The average rank of thos defenses was #20.

OU gave up an average of 340 yards in their last 4 wins.
The average rank of those offenses was #10.
OU averaged 516 yards of offense in those 4 games.
The average rank of those defense was #78.

OU has the 13 ranked offense.
OU has the 58 ranked defense.
UConn has the 96 ranked offense.
UConn has the 48 ranked defense.

It is obvious by the defensive ranking of the BE that UConn probably would have gone undefeated in the Big 12 and OU probably would not have won the BE.

I have nothing more to say.

agoo758
12/14/2010, 02:51 AM
Everything is relative. OU was playing teams whose defense have faced much better offense. This isn't the NFL where every team plays against the same caliber.

AlbqSooner
12/14/2010, 07:32 AM
It's like comparing pecans and chestnuts.

fadada1
12/14/2010, 07:40 AM
in the big12, me thinks the UCONN/***** game would have been a pretty decent game.

IGotNoTiming
12/14/2010, 08:01 AM
UCawn woulda beat Texas.....

just saying that makes me laugh a little....

soonerfaninalabama
12/14/2010, 08:22 AM
Would you believe it if I told you that Nebraska was ranked 35 in total offense, Connecticut is ranked 96. Nebraska is ranked 10 in rushing offense, Connecticut is ranked 31. Nebraska is ranked 7 in passing defense, Connecticut is ranked 44. Nebraska is ranked 10 in total defense, Connecticut is ranked 48.
Lets not forget Air Force, who we beat earlier in the season, who is ranked 2 in rushing offense. Also, Baylor (23) and Oklahoma State (29) have higher rankings in Rushing yards.
Nebraska, Texas, Florida State and Air Force out rank Connecticut in total offense and total defense.
We shut down Nebraska's rushing and passing game in the second half.

Their defense is good because they play crappy offensive teams. OU's is off because there are a lot of good offensive teams in the Big 12.

OUinFLA
12/14/2010, 08:37 AM
Would you believe it if I told you ..

I believe anything.
Ive been thinking of changing my name to OUGullible.

However, I don't believe OU will lose to UConn.

soonerfaninalabama
12/14/2010, 08:44 AM
I believe anything.
Ive been thinking of changing my name to OUGullible.

However, I don't believe OU will lose to UConn.

Haha, that's funny. Here is where I get my stats from:
http://www.cfbstats.com/
It's a very good source for this stuff. Since really all we can go on is stats and that OU-Cincinnati game until they actually play each other.

swardboy
12/14/2010, 08:51 AM
It's ok BigRed47...my sarcasm radar is up and working. :D

BigRed47
12/14/2010, 10:29 AM
It's ok BigRed47...my sarcasm radar is up and working. :D

I'm glad someone gets it. Thanx.

soonerfaninalabama
12/14/2010, 10:34 AM

I got it now, lol.

OUinFLA
12/14/2010, 10:39 AM
I got it before you posted it.

Im on my way to buy a lottery ticket now

85sooners
12/14/2010, 11:09 AM
Uconn will walk all over ou till the kickoff

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 11:30 AM
I can't believe we are falling into this trap with all this arrogant banter.

DOOMED!

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/14/2010, 11:47 AM
UConn won their last five games. We have all heard about their terrific defense. As we all know OU's defense is not as good as UConn's. Here are some interesting stats of UConn's last 5 games and OU's last 4 games.

UConn gave up an average of 335 yards in their last 5 wins.
The average rank of those offenses was #75.
UConn averaged 309 yards of offense in those 5 games.
The average rank of thos defenses was #20.

OU gave up an average of 340 yards in their last 4 wins.
The average rank of those offenses was #10.
OU averaged 516 yards of offense in those 4 games.
The average rank of those defense was #78.

OU has the 13 ranked offense.
OU has the 58 ranked defense.
UConn has the 96 ranked offense.
UConn has the 48 ranked defense.

It is obvious by the defensive ranking of the BE that UConn probably would have gone undefeated in the Big 12 and OU probably would not have won the BE.

I have nothing more to say.

Actually our D is better than Uconn's.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5720/ouvsuconn.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/i/ouvsuconn.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

As you can see we scored 11.18 PPG more than the defenses that we saw while UConn scores .49 points more than the D's they saw.

We kept the Offenses that we saw -7.89 points below their avg. while UConn kept theirs -2.44 points below their avg.

Where Uconn did better than us is in Yards Per Carry.
Their opponents give up 3.78 YPC, but Uconn was able to avg. 4.43 YPC.
While we sucked it up and only avg. 3.37 YPC, against D's that give up 3.94 Yards per Carry.

Well I won't break down the rest, but the only thing UConn does better than us is Rush more per game than their opponents give up. While our Points Per Game, Point Allowed per game, Rush D, Pass Attack, Pass D, Total Yards, and Total Yards Allowed are better than UConn's when you factor in what their opponents do and allow per game.

*note the stats do not account for UConn's game against Texas Southern. Only games played against Div I teams,(or whatever they are called)
And this does include our CCG against Neb.

My excel file is available if anyone wants me to email it.

Thanks.

pphilfran
12/14/2010, 11:59 AM
Mark, nice job looking at the data...

soonerfaninalabama
12/14/2010, 12:09 PM
OU averages 87 plays per game.
UCONN averages 64.83 plays per game.

OU averages 26.46 first downs per game.
UCONN averages 15.92 first downs per game.

OU averages 336.77 passing yards per game.
UCONN averages 145.08 passing yards per game.

OU averages 142.08 rushing yards per game.
UCONN averages 179.92 rushing yards per game.

OU averages 4.46 TD's per game.
UCONN averages 3 TD's per game.

Hope that I added all that up right.

agoo758
12/14/2010, 12:24 PM

Well............just damn.:O

BigRed47
12/14/2010, 11:15 PM
I'm glad to see other stats here and the way they are broken down. That excel version is real good. This is really a tough game to figure since we only have one common opponent and we played that game on the road, OUr 4th game and they played them the 11th game at home. I think Cincy had pretty much packed it in by that time. Certainly OUr defense has come a long way and OUr offense too.

To me the BE seems a collection of teams that are not that good offensively. I know they want you to believe that it's because the defenses are just so good in that league. I'm not buying that. I think the reason the offenses are not that wide open is partially the type of players from that section of the country and the weather. Most of these teams stress the ground game and do not have the spread offenses that we seem to see so much in this part of the country. I think if their defenses had to defend against OSU, Baylor, TT, aTm, OU, Missouri that their rankings defensively would be a lot lower. I think if our Big12 defenses had to go against their offenses that our defenses would be better ranked also.

Mark In Tulsa, your excel sheet shows that OUr defense is probably better than UConn's, at least statistically. I know they gave up less yards per game but we faced much superior offenses than they did. The best offense they faced was Michigan in the first game and they gave up 467 yards to them. However that was 33 yards below what Michigan averaged for the year. The last 4 games OU averaged 516 yards. Once again, I think they must rely on winning the TO battle and I mean big time, at least +4. And even then I think it would be close. Also I think Edsall might do what he did against South Carolina, blitz a lot. They don't blitz much in the BE because the teams there don't pass that much. But they did blitz a lot against the Gamecocks in their bowl last year. Also I wouldn't be surprised to see them pass a little more, especially down the middle. That is where OU is most vulnerable. They are going to have to do some things unexpected I think to have any kind of a chance against OU.

But in the end I think OU wins, and it could be ugly. I think WVU would have been a better matchup, but on the day WVU played UConn they were -4 in TO and lost in OT. So OU will have to be on guard.

OU_Sooners75
12/14/2010, 11:45 PM
It's like comparing pecans and chestnuts.

so you are saying that Im not suppose to compare those?